[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

Alright, that's pretty accurate, I'll look at it.

Edited:

@Theysen  @stratochief66 Grab this https://mega.nz/#!yc4yABLR!CpbBgK_9BVFyabsBZX1OkjwkvQwy-KYEJjQmsQbSBtw or revert to the previous .dll (the one with the memory savings), this time change both entries in the planetsList file to Earth

scattererCelestialBodies
{
	Item
	{
		celestialBodyName = Earth
		transformName = Earth
		loadDistance = 5E+07
		unloadDistance = 1E+08
		hasOcean = True
		eclipseCasters
		{
			Item = Moon
		}
	}
}

It seems with either the newest version of RSS or Kopernicus the differing transformName is no longer required, maybe @NathanKell could confirm this.

Edited:

I've updated the downloads with the memory-improved version

I used the most recently released version with those suggested settings, and everything worked well for Earth. Mapmode, launch, everything looks good. I increased the sun flare size by a factor of 5 instead of 10 because the big sun just hurts my yes <then don't look into it, stupid!>

I play with the ocean for Earth set to false (in case that might be important) and around the PQS/SS transition, the scattering post processing appears to apply over the land, but not over the ocean. I'm not sure if that is unique to me, or something other people are experiencing with RSS Earth as well.

Hey @blackrack I want to do a little more investigating before I complain like a big fat baby. But a heavily modded instal on win 10 x64. I have blue engine exhaust and a blue Tron looking KSC. The last dll (not the memory saver) worked without a hitch. I am not at my box ATM. But I'll post some pics and an output log. Looked pretty cool though I think you'll have a good laugh :)

edit

Here is what I saw

Spoiler

screenshot28_zpstpbcavmv.png~original

screenshot29_zpsnnqrcefv.png~original

Edited by V8jester

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Hey @blackrack I want to do a little more investigating before I complain like a big fat baby. But a heavily modded instal on win 10 x64. I have blue engine exhaust and a blue Tron looking KSC. The last dll (not the memory saver) worked without a hitch. I am not at my box ATM. But I'll post some pics and an output log. Looked pretty cool though I think you'll have a good laugh :)

edit

Here is what I saw

Reveal hidden contents

Yes! I got this as well. On my version all the planets went blue in scaledspace.

2 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Yes! I got this as well. On my version all the planets went blue in scaledspace.

4 hours ago, V8jester said:

edit

Here is what I saw

Reveal hidden contents

Is this with the newest release from yesterday? I thought I fixed this like a week ago.

21 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Is this with the newest release from yesterday? I thought I fixed this like a week ago.

22 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It was the newest, I tried the previous release and the bug went away.

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Alright well, what else do you have? Anything in the debug log? Any other symptoms? And post your platform and renderer.

I'll see what i can do but aside from the bug i told you about, Scatterer does horrible things to my old gaming pc. Maybe you could release a lite version that has just the sun flare and basic scattering.

And something i personally would love wouldbe if you released independantly whatever plugin you used for the sun flare and give it a config file so users can add a flare to any star? :)

Just now, daniel l. said:

I'll see what i can do but aside from the bug i told you about, Scatterer does horrible things to my old gaming pc. Maybe you could release a lite version that has just the sun flare and basic scattering.

And something i personally would love wouldbe if you released independantly whatever plugin you used for the sun flare and give it a config file so users can add a flare to any star? :)

You can just disable the ocean, the godrays and the shadows and you'll have the "lite" version, really there wouldn't be a point in releasing a separate version for that.

So are you asking for a standalone lens flare shader or just multiple star support? In the case of a standalone shader, keep in mind you won't have the lens flare change color during sunsets/sunrises.

7 minutes ago, blackrack said:

So are you asking for a standalone lens flare shader or just multiple star support? In the case of a standalone shader, keep in mind you won't have the lens flare change color during sunsets/sunrises.

I am asking for standalone and multiple please :) The lens flare is great on its own and would be even greater with multistar support, Making kopernicus packs would be great because a modder could choose his/her own flare for the custom star. And not to bug but maybe add layer support like EVE clouds so that a modder could add a space engine like corona, And put the flare over it.

And while i of course dont mind if i wont be able to have it change color during sunsets and sunrises it would be worth it anyway, Maybe you could eventually add that.

But yes the sun flare is too good to be a mere part of a greater mod, It should be independant so players will be able to enjoy beautiful custom flares without having scatterer. (A great mod but burdensome on computer resources when you got it for the flare like i did ;) )

8 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I am asking for standalone and multiple please :) The lens flare is great on its own and would be even greater with multistar support, Making kopernicus packs would be great because a modder could choose his/her own flare for the custom star. And not to bug but maybe add layer support like EVE clouds so that a modder could add a space engine like corona, And put the flare over it.

And while i of course dont mind if i wont be able to have it change color during sunsets and sunrises it would be worth it anyway, Maybe you could eventually add that.

But yes the sun flare is too good to be a mere part of a greater mod, It should be independant so players will be able to enjoy beautiful custom flares without having scatterer. (A great mod but burdensome on computer resources when you got it for the flare like i did ;) )

Alright, fair enough, I will do it but not right now.

7 hours ago, blackrack said:

Yes, this was from the newest release on space dock. I also for the first time have a.... I guess "digital camo" pattern on the moon. I'm afraid to give you my log though, I'm over 100 mods at this point. But since it worked on the pre memory optimization. I figured I'd at the very least mention it.

6 hours ago, blackrack said:

Alright, fair enough, I will do it but not right now.

Well, you do already have tone mapper as a stand alone.... And if Scatterer is broken up into multiple seperate mods. It may confuse a lot of people.

also @daniel l. the lens flare is fairly easy to modify. I ripped the textures from an asset file for AVP I2 and was able to modify it to work with scatterer. And modders can use a similar approache as texture replacer. Just make there own textures and you would over right existing scatterer textures. Then you would have a new flare with fewer mod folders to keep track of.

@blackrack I have to commend you on the new lens flare system. It works so much better than the systems we previously had. The color fading and lightening as your angle to the sun changes looks fantastic! I converted the asset file lens flares Astronomer made for AVP. As he has been absent for some time. Here is a link to those lens flares. If he has any objections I'll be happy to take it down.

Scatterer Lens Flares

Just now, V8jester said:

You know.... Your at absolutely right :) I'll remember that for next time. I really haven't played with RP yet but I've seen it before.

It's simply awesome.
q4baF1L.png

On-topic: Would it be possible to make water splash horizontal particles to be drawn on top of water again? They are completely invisible now.

10 hours ago, V8jester said:

@blackrack I have to commend you on the new lens flare system. It works so much better than the systems we previously had. The color fading and lightening as your angle to the sun changes looks fantastic! I converted the asset file lens flares Astronomer made for AVP. As he has been absent for some time. Here is a link to those lens flares. If he has any objections I'll be happy to take it down.

Scatterer Lens Flares

Thanks, I wasn't satisfied with the existing lens flare system, it was too simplistic and I thought that some small changes could make it a lot better. I also tried implementing another feature where additional spikes would rotate and grow around the sun as it moves around, to make it seem less static, but it didn't look good, I'll probably give it another try later on.

10 hours ago, sashan said:

On-topic: Would it be possible to make water splash horizontal particles to be drawn on top of water again? They are completely invisible now.

I didn't actually remove them (though I didn't like them either) so not sure what's going on, could be because of the new method to disable the ocean, if that's the case it's safe to say they aren't coming back unless you want the performance hit back.

FYI, I've reported a possible anomaly with the TST mod and Scatterer in the TST thread at this post.  When I open a telescope window from his mod, I'm getting some sort of additional layer that looks suspiciously like one of yours.  Example here.

Edited by Brigadier

16 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

FYI, I've reported a possible anomaly with the TST mod and Scatterer in the TST thread at this post.  When I open a telescope window from his mod, I'm getting some sort of additional layer that looks suspiciously like one of yours.  Example here.

Yes, this was reported on my github repository a long time ago, I haven't fixed it yet.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

I didn't actually remove them (though I didn't like them either) so not sure what's going on, could be because of the new method to disable the ocean, if that's the case it's safe to say they aren't coming back unless you want the performance hit back.

What happened is that you've changed draw order of ocean in relation to particles - they are in the same layer now. This made smoke and others look much better near the ocean but splash FX is almost always a bit lower than actual ocean surface - so it's invisible.

Does anybody else feel the stock re-entry/mach effects are big performance hogs?

22 minutes ago, sashan said:

What happened is that you've changed draw order of ocean in relation to particles - they are in the same layer now. This made smoke and others look much better near the ocean but splash FX is almost always a bit lower than actual ocean surface - so it's invisible.

Right, try the oceanRenderQueue field in the UI.