[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

38 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Wait, what fading extinction?

more on the edge.. less in the middle?

EDIT: also having the extinction and falloff effect for it in PQS is really cool :) Like this is starting to look better/same as current flight sims like DCS I swear

nSO8DoT.png

Edited by pingopete

46 minutes ago, pingopete said:

more on the edge.. less in the middle?

Ahh yes, the new extinction method does that implicitly.

Btw check this out, looks more and more like apollo-era photos of eath imo::

mp1LdIq.jpg

AS11-36-5339_lrg.jpg

Edited by blackrack

33 minutes ago, pingopete said:

BTW my atmosphere still seems to be rendering behind clouds?

And yeah with the colours it looks better than real life :3

aLC2vxR.png

Pete, stop flinging planes so damn high! They aren't supposed to go there! :D 

1 hour ago, pingopete said:

BTW my atmosphere still seems to be rendering behind clouds?

And yeah with the colours it looks better than real life :3

Yeah I haven't released it yet, I'm still working on it. Considering the postProcessing needs to be drawn behind it this brings even more complications in the transition between PQS and scaledSpace.

37 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I thought you might like to watch this, @blackrack, if you've not seen it already.

Haven't seen this particular video but I've seen some photos. The result in KSP seems pretty close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWwITlAYd_A

4 hours ago, pingopete said:

EDIT: also having the extinction and falloff effect for it in PQS is really cool :) Like this is starting to look better/same as current flight sims like DCS I swear

nSO8DoT.png

Btw that does look a lot more natural than it ever would in the stock-sized planets. Looks pretty close to what you see in the config tool/proland even.

Edited by blackrack

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

Post the log but I doubt there will be anything in it. Really just play with the settings and see if anything affects it.

The only thing I found that stops it is turning off post-processing (which I assume is pretty obvious).

1 minute ago, Arditan427 said:

The only thing I found that stops it is turning off post-processing (which I assume is pretty obvious).

Actually I would've thought It'd happen in the sky shader since it's higher up than the ground or in the ocean shader since it also has some horizon artifcats. Try playing with Postprocessing extinction tint and Postprocessing extinction multiplier/amount and see if that affects it, make sure to select the right config point for the altitude you're at. Also, which video mode are you running?

Just now, blackrack said:

Actually I would've thought It'd happen in the sky shader since it's higher up than the ground or in the ocean shader since it also has some horizon artifcats. Try playing with Postprocessing extinction tint and Postprocessing extinction multiplier/amount and see if that affects it, make sure to select the right config point for the altitude you're at. Also, which video mode are you running?

I haven't forced opengl or dx11 or anything like that.

1 minute ago, Arditan427 said:

Which settings? I looked through the last few pages and couldn't distinguish what you were referring to.

44 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Just now, blackrack said:

Oh :P I thought you meant config settings that I had to mess around with in the files, I did that and found no results. I did find something interesting though, the artifacts appear on the dark side of Kerbin when godrays are disabled, but on the day side when godrays are enabled.

Just now, Arditan427 said:

Oh :P I thought you meant config settings that I had to mess around with in the files, I did that and found no results. I did find something interesting though, the artifacts appear on the dark side of Kerbin when godrays are disabled, but on the day side when godrays are enabled.

Hmm, I see. And could you try in directx 11?

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Yeah I haven't released it yet, I'm still working on it. Considering the postProcessing needs to be drawn behind it this brings even more complications in the transition between PQS and scaledSpace.

Haven't seen this particular video but I've seen some photos. The result in KSP seems pretty close https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWwITlAYd_A

Btw that does look a lot more natural than it ever would in the stock-sized planets. Looks pretty close to what you see in the config tool/proland even.

Yeah I've noticed a huge improvement in PQS haze since moving to the most recent version, it all looks so natural and smooth now even on opengl, just look at these :o !! - Flying around Alaska, absolutely stunning

Edited by pingopete

18 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Yeah I've noticed a huge improvement in PQS haze since moving to the most recent version, it all looks so natural and smooth now even on opengl, just look at these :o !! - Flying around Alaska, absolutely stunning

Great, I did do a lot of changes under the hood to get it looking better. Btw does the lens flare not work for you? Also, I'm guessing terrain shadows aren't working or are disabled from that last shot.

15 minutes ago, Arditan427 said:

Yep, that fixed the artifacts, although it does cause a couple bugs here and there which I can deal with.

Alright, I will fix it later on if I can narrow down the original issue, but at least there's this workaround for now.

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Great, I did do a lot of changes under the hood to get it looking better. Btw does the lens flare not work for you or did you just take these screens using the screenshot supersampling function? Also, I'm guessing terrain shadows aren't working or are disabled from that last shot.

Alright, I will fix it later on if I can narrow down the original issue, but at least there's this workaround for now.

Terrain shadows are working but I couldn't get the sunflare to work, I tried up scaling the size values of the flare components in the config but nothing to see in game :/

4 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Terrain shadows are working but I couldn't get the sunflare to work, I tried up scaling the size values of the flare components in the config but nothing to see in game :/

Are you on the latest version (0.0233)? There was this issue with the sun flare not working in OpenGL but I thought I fixed it 0.0232. Do you occasionally get a random pink square near or on your craft when launching or switching to a craft in orbit?

Edited: Also, you can test if it works with the stock game.

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Are you on the latest version (0.0233)? There was this issue with the sun flare not working in OpenGL but I thought I fixed it 0.0232. Do you occasionally get a random pink square near or on your craft when launching or switching to a craft in orbit?

I'm on that version, and nah I don't get that square either, might have messed up the config or seomthing, are the 2nd values in the config for the first two flares their scale?

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.85

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

3 minutes ago, pingopete said:

I'm on that version, and nah I don't get that square either, might have messed up the config or seomthing, are the 2nd values in the config for the first two flares their scale?

//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.85

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

The last values are the scale (inverse of), but even with the default scale you should see the other components. So try if it works with the base game.

Edited by blackrack