[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Accurate sky reflections on the ocean, this will make sunsets even more magical and fuzzy:

3 hours ago, mafkaas300 said:

This is a very enlighting mod which certainly makes the game more visually appeasing. However I noticed two things:

1. I don't think shadows project through the planet when an eclipse occurs.

2. It is probably some nitpicking but in the vast blackness of space (and maybe because of some poor contrast in my monitor) lighter bars are visible from the otherwise spectacular lens flare.

For the lens flare, it brightens up everything behind it a bit, which is an intentional effect, so your only option is to get a higher quality skybox than the default one (and tbh I can't see the bars on my screen, all I see is black).

For the other issue, scatterer isn't even enabled in the trackstation so whatever it is isn't scatterer.

Edited by blackrack

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Accurate sky reflections on the ocean, this will make sunsets even more magical and fuzzy:

For the lens flare, it brightens up everything behind it a bit, which is an intentional effect, so your only option is to get a higher quality skybox than the default one (and tbh I can't see the bars on my screen, all I see is black).

For the other issue, scatterer isn't even enabled in the trackstation so whatever it is isn't scatterer.

Looks amazing can't wait for that release.  Also,  what sky box do you use?  I'm using a 4k sky box and I'm getting the bars.  Im just ignoring it for now

3 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Looks amazing can't wait for that release.  Also,  what sky box do you use?  I'm using a 4k sky box and I'm getting the bars.  Im just ignoring it for now

For now I'm mostly doing testing so i'm using the default skybox with distant object enhancements and it looks black as coal to me most of the time (my monitor might be set a bit dark also). When I was playing the game more actively I used KSPRC's skybox.

Edited by blackrack

12 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Well, indeed maybe my screen is a little too bright and will definetly try to get another skybox.

For the eclipse: I also got EVE installed so maybe it has something to do with that. Will investigate further.

And the sunset looks astonishing!

Thank you for your help

9 minutes ago, blackrack said:

For now I'm mostly doing testing so i'm using the default skybox with distant object enhancements and it looks black as coal to me most of the time (my monitor might be set a bit dark also). When I was playing the game more actively I used KSPRC's skybox.

Hmm.  I use the KSPRC skybox as well.  I tried out @BlueSubstance sunflare and it didn't have the bar on his. I'm not sure how he did it though.  Thomassino also has bars on his flares. I'll set my display a bit darker and see what happens

3 hours ago, mafkaas300 said:

This is a very enlighting mod which certainly makes the game more visually appeasing. However I noticed two things:

1. I don't think shadows project through the planet when an eclipse occurs.

5Dq99ij.png

This would be EVE. For now there isn't much of a solution. I'll have to figure out a decent way to check if the lighting has already been occluded. Or disable eclipses in map-view.

24 minutes ago, Proot said:

That reflections are simply amazing. I'm always amazed with your skills @blackrack, seriously.

Really my skills are just slapping a bunch of snippets together from all over the place and mostly butchering the proland code, but as long as it works and it makes the game look better I'm happy. Thanks proot.

33 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Hmm.  I use the KSPRC skybox as well.  I tried out @BlueSubstance sunflare and it didn't have the bar on his. I'm not sure how he did it though.  Thomassino also has bars on his flares. I'll set my display a bit darker and see what happens

Hmm, I turned up the brightness on the screens that @mafkaas300 posted and now I can see these squares with weird coloring. I think it might not be the skybox, but rather an unused ghost slot in the lens flare shader reading garbage from an unassigned texture or something similar, could be that blueSubstance's sunflare has all the slots assigned and so doesn't run into this problem. Could be, I will have to check, I kind of forgot how I did these things.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Is there like a noise filter on the reflected light? Looks sweet! Also the light reflections posted earlier are awesome :)

Edited by pingopete

2 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

is there a means to color the sun rises/sets so they don't always look the same? I'm not saying Scatter has to do this automatically, but if possible that would be a nice thing to be able to tweak

Do you mean that sunsets should look different from one day to another or that sunrises should look different than sunsets? Technically both sunrises and sunsets should look the same, I'm not sure if the fact that we perceive them as different is an illusion, if it's due to tired eyes later in the day or if human activity during the day causes an increase in aerosol particles which makes the the sunset look different.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Do you mean that sunsets should look different from one day to another or that sunrises should look different than sunsets? Technically both sunrises and sunsets should look the same, I'm not sure if the fact that we perceive them as different is an illusion, if it's due to tired eyes later in the day or if human activity during the day causes an increase in aerosol particles which makes the the sunset look different.

I'm not saying they should look different but it would be nice if they could. Not really looking for a realism excuse like aerosols (which is correct, in addition to natural stuff like volcanic ash), it'd be nice to just see some variance from day to day is all.

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I'm not saying they should look different but it would be nice if they could. Not really looking for a realism excuse like aerosols (which is correct, in addition to natural stuff like volcanic ash), it'd be nice to just see some variance from day to day is all.

I suppose, in theory, you could approximate changes in atmospheric conditions by increasing/decreasing the scatterer effect (basically, multiplying the depth buffer by some value to increase/decrease the atmospheric depth and thereby change the amount of haze).

9 hours ago, blackrack said:

The last time I went on a big trip I tried to see the sunset every day from a vantage point and on some days also the sunrise. I got to say that they pretty much look different every time. As for why sunrises look different than sunsets I could image that it is due to the change in temperatures:

In the evening the air is much warmer than in the morning which leeds to different air density and therefore different light diffraction/scattering. Depending on the temperature there will also be different humidity levels which affects the scattering aswell.

But the main reason for every sunset looking unique is definitively the interaction of the sunlight with the current cloud formations. Though I am not sure if it would be necessary to include all this into this mod, as your sunsets/sunrises already look quite astonishing!

Edited by mysteriosmind

4 hours ago, Ghosty141 said:

But waiting is so haardd :( You keep teasing us with those amazing screenshots.

Is it as hard as the work he is doing? Maybe contribute to his funds or just keep your complaints to yourself They do not encourage.