[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@blackrack How does one change the atmospheric color of scatterer these days?  GregroxMun and I have been tinkering a bit with his revamp pack.  I've been playing with the config tool you have, and have made some adjustments and have something I like, but I can't seem to get it to work in the actual game.  There appear to be a great many more configuration options in the game configs than there are in the tool.

Here is an example of something that I want, but can't seem to get to work:

kAdIKTQ.png

vDnYBb0.png

Also, is there a way to set the color of the oceans?  Something silvery and gray?

1 hour ago, rough93 said:

does this mean it is compatible but just not the right version?

It's compatible with 1.1.2 just have to do a oh so scary hard manual install. :wink: 

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

@blackrack How does one change the atmospheric color of scatterer these days?  GregroxMun and I have been tinkering a bit with his revamp pack.  I've been playing with the config tool you have, and have made some adjustments and have something I like, but I can't seem to get it to work in the actual game.  There appear to be a great many more configuration options in the game configs than there are in the tool.

Here is an example of something that I want, but can't seem to get to work:

Also, is there a way to set the color of the oceans?  Something silvery and gray?

Did you get the files in the game? Did you delete existing .half files? Did you copy our new betaR/etc settings into the config file?

Ocean always reflects the sky, it isn't tweakable how reflective it is right now. You can change oceanUpwellingColor but it mostly affects refracted color.

9 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Did you get the files in the game? Did you delete existing .half files? Did you copy our new betaR/etc settings into the config file?

Ocean always reflects the sky, it isn't tweakable how reflective it is right now. You can change oceanUpwellingColor but it mostly affects refracted color.

It is this paragraph from the OP that I could use some assistance with.  I'm sure it makes sense to those who have an understanding of what the heck it is that they are doing, but for me it is almost completely opaque:

To use this, just enter your settings and press generate, if you're satisfied with the result, copy the .raw files (ScattererTool_Data\Proland\Textures\Atmo) and  manually open the .xml file (\ScattererTool_Data) from the tool folder and copy the settings into your planet of choice's settings.cfg file in the scatterer folder and replace the files in the scatterer mod folder with them. As of scattererv0.024 (1.1 compatibility update), scatterer now uses .half files, any .raw files will be converted to .half IF NO .half FILE EXISTS. Therefore copy the .raw files like usual and delete any existing .half files, the new .raw files will be converted automatically to .half, you only need to distribute the latter.

Copy the raw files to where?

Copy the XML settings to where?  Which part of the config?  The formats are different.  What is the end result I'm looking for?

What are all the config nodes that don't seem to have any corresponding analog in the config tool?

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

It is this paragraph from the OP that I could use some assistance with.  I'm sure it makes sense to those who have an understanding of what the heck it is that they are doing, but for me it is almost completely opaque:

To use this, just enter your settings and press generate, if you're satisfied with the result, copy the .raw files (ScattererTool_Data\Proland\Textures\Atmo) and  manually open the .xml file (\ScattererTool_Data) from the tool folder and copy the settings into your planet of choice's settings.cfg file in the scatterer folder and replace the files in the scatterer mod folder with them. As of scattererv0.024 (1.1 compatibility update), scatterer now uses .half files, any .raw files will be converted to .half IF NO .half FILE EXISTS. Therefore copy the .raw files like usual and delete any existing .half files, the new .raw files will be converted automatically to .half, you only need to distribute the latter.

Copy the raw files to where?

Copy the XML settings to where?  Which part of the config?  The formats are different.  What is the end result I'm looking for?

What are all the config nodes that don't seem to have any corresponding analog in the config tool?

Just copy over any settings from the XML file to those that have the same name in the .cfg file. Ignore the config points, they are for in-game tweaking.

For the .raw files, it's not complicated really, say you are editing kerbin's config, copy the .raw files over to 

..\Kerbal SpaceProgram\GameData\scatterer\config\Kerbin\Proland\Textures\Atmo

Delete any existing .half files.

.raw files get converted to .half the first time that planet is loaded.

It's not very intuitive, I know, but the mod is constantly changing and I haven't gotten around to updating the config tool.

Edited by blackrack

My advice when looking into adjusting mods Cetera is to look exhaustively through the mods directory, read all the files, look at where they are located and try to understand what they do in relation to the mod.

That way, you have a better understanding of how whats going on in game is being built by the back end.

Is there any plan of a collaboration patch that would allow EVE clouds to take on the colors of sunrise/sunset? Or would that be someone a third party would have to do.

I only ask because thats the only thing missing in my mind. Everything else looks great to me.

11 minutes ago, kerbalresearch said:

Is there any plan of a collaboration patch that would allow EVE clouds to take on the colors of sunrise/sunset? Or would that be someone a third party would have to do.

I only ask because thats the only thing missing in my mind. Everything else looks great to me.

iTHgvYy.png

It's called SVE and it's great

Edited by Berlin

@Berlin Well thats not the clouds taking on the color, thats just shadow on the clouds, and the background is just scatterer doing what scatterer does. What I mean is real sunsets/sunrises, where the red wavelengths are more visible and the clouds turn pink/red/purple. I use SVE, but it could be so much more. Like this:Morning%20Clouds.jpg

Edited by kerbalresearch

6 minutes ago, kerbalresearch said:

@Berlin Well thats not the clouds taking on the color, thats just shadow on the clouds, and the background is just scatterer doing what scatterer does. What I mean is real sunsets/sunrises, where the red wavelengths are more visible and the clouds turn pink/red/purple. I use SVE, but it could be so much more. Like this:Morning%20Clouds.jpg

I see what you are saying.  I didn't realize that was why you were looking for.  I'm sure it could be done 

As far as I know it's mainly done by @blackrack, you can search about it some pages ago. It's just not included yet in the release.

Give the man a little rest, he have a new work and so on, so I can picture that he need a bit of time to face a new update.

3 hours ago, Proot said:

As far as I know it's mainly done by @blackrack, you can search about it some pages ago. It's just not included yet in the release.

Give the man a little rest, he have a new work and so on, so I can picture that he need a bit of time to face a new update.

No worries, just thought i would mention it in case it was possible.

I dont want to rush him, Ive always believed work is done better when you take your time.

10 hours ago, Berlin said:

I see what you are saying.  I didn't realize that was why you were looking for.  I'm sure it could be done 

10 hours ago, kerbalresearch said:

@Berlin Well thats not the clouds taking on the color, thats just shadow on the clouds, and the background is just scatterer doing what scatterer does. What I mean is real sunsets/sunrises, where the red wavelengths are more visible and the clouds turn pink/red/purple. I use SVE, but it could be so much more. Like this:

something like this ?
gXFLgEj.png

play with _Color value like: 105, 195, 195, 255 or 195, 105, 195, 255 or any combination you want & you will get more color, but it will need to be done more layer

Edited by Blacks

32 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hmm @blackrack, I can't recall what the conclusion was of wave collisions and craft bobbing around. Was that feature stopped until further notice?

Yeah,  I just asked this question no too long ago and I think it's out of the question for now.  I hope it creeps back in though.  It would be awesome 

Edited by Berlin

3 hours ago, Blacks said:

something like this ?
*snip*

play with _Color value like: 105, 195, 195, 255 or 195, 105, 195, 255 or any combination you want & you will get more color, but it will need to be done more layer

Yeah like that, but only during sunrise and sunset, and the color would change depending on the angle of the sun. Just like in real life.

2 minutes ago, kerbalresearch said:

Yeah like that, but only during sunrise and sunset, and the color would change depending on the angle of the sun. Just like in real life.

Blackrack has already stated he will do this. :) 

1 minute ago, kerbalresearch said:

Yeah, proot told me. :)

Then let's end the conversation I do believe blackrack and anyone else doesn't want to scroll through page after page of rehashing the same request :). PMs are a great way to respond to posters without clogging a thread burying possibly other issues/requests

With scatterer installed, every time I make my kerbals go EVA there is a weird graphical glitch. During the transition from the staging view to the EVA view there is a very large noticeable white rectangle that appears on the left side of the screen for a split second. I only started noticing this after 1.1.2. And I know that scatterer is causing this because when I uninstall the mod the issue does not persist. Has anyone come across this problem before? Can this be fixed? 

16 hours ago, kerbalresearch said:

You mean like this? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip11-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00244-17042016-11-compatible-faster-loading/&do=findComment&comment=2503840

18 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hmm @blackrack, I can't recall what the conclusion was of wave collisions and craft bobbing around. Was that feature stopped until further notice?

Yeah, it has too many issues to work correctly.

8 hours ago, RealGecko said:

I've installed scatterer and found an interesting issue: Kerbin atmosphere lit by Sun was visible through Mun surface.

My settings:

Someone else reported this but I couldn't reproduce it, unless you have some errors in the log or you can come up with reliable reproduction steps, I can't do anything at the moment.

6 hours ago, XxhafizzaxX said:

With scatterer installed, every time I make my kerbals go EVA there is a weird graphical glitch. During the transition from the staging view to the EVA view there is a very large noticeable white rectangle that appears on the left side of the screen for a split second. I only started noticing this after 1.1.2. And I know that scatterer is causing this because when I uninstall the mod the issue does not persist. Has anyone come across this problem before? Can this be fixed? 

Pics?