[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Right @blackrack, so I gather that this was supposed to be fixed previously, but in the latest version on vanilla install, I'm seeing both moderate to severe artifacting around shorelines and the water level flickering up and down, clipping through the ground whenever I move the camera. Don't suppose there's a way to fix without disabling the water effects altogether?

Edited by Citizen Joe

5 minutes ago, Citizen Joe said:

Right, so I gather that this was supposed to be fixed previously, but in the latest version on vanilla install, I'm seeing moderate to severe artifacting around shorelines and the water level flickering up and down, clipping through the ground whenever I move the camera. Don't suppose there's a way to fix without disabling the water effects altogether?

Nope.  All of this has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the past but at the moment there isn't much you can do.  There are ways to make the ocean clipping less noticeable but it's at the expense of quality and performance. So until it's fixed the best thing to do is try to ignore it. 

Edited by Galileo

I'm losing my mind.

This has been answered many times in different threads, but no solution seems to work. I can't get any sunflare working in RSS (no rescaling of "stock" RSS) besides the stock one.

Changed flareSettings and spikeSettings to values in OP, checked that the SunAU is 1, tried several different flares (and tweaked their flare/spike values), checked the PlanetsList.cfg, used SRSS for another PlanetsList.cfg, installed the newest scatterer again, deleted MM caches, sweared, disabled all the WIP stuff (like godrays etc), got rid of RVE and TextureReplacer just to be sure, all to no avail. Now i can't play anymore because the sun makes me angry.

With 1.2 around the corner i don't want to waste anybodies time, but if someone has a hint what is wrong with me or that damned sunflare, please let me know :wink:

22 hours ago, Galileo said:

Nope.  All of this has been discussed pretty thoroughly in the past but at the moment there isn't much you can do.  There are ways to make the ocean clipping less noticeable but it's at the expense of quality and performance. So until it's fixed the best thing to do is try to ignore it. 

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing...  At ground level it's hardly noticeable, but as you ascend in altitude it becomes so pronounced that entire continents will flicker like crazy any time you nudge the camera.

Considering how prevalent this bug seems to be, it should probably be listed in the "Known Issues" section of the OP.

1 hour ago, TheCrimsonCorndog said:

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing...  At ground level it's hardly noticeable, but as you ascend in altitude it becomes so pronounced that entire continents will flicker like crazy any time you nudge the camera.

Considering how prevalent this bug seems to be, it should probably be listed in the "Known Issues" section of the OP.

yes, we are talking about the same thing. 

17 hours ago, elpollodiablo said:

I'm losing my mind.

This has been answered many times in different threads, but no solution seems to work. I can't get any sunflare working in RSS (no rescaling of "stock" RSS) besides the stock one.

Changed flareSettings and spikeSettings to values in OP, checked that the SunAU is 1, tried several different flares (and tweaked their flare/spike values), checked the PlanetsList.cfg, used SRSS for another PlanetsList.cfg, installed the newest scatterer again, deleted MM caches, sweared, disabled all the WIP stuff (like godrays etc), got rid of RVE and TextureReplacer just to be sure, all to no avail. Now i can't play anymore because the sun makes me angry.

With 1.2 around the corner i don't want to waste anybodies time, but if someone has a hint what is wrong with me or that damned sunflare, please let me know :wink:

Well, RVE uses its own sunflare.dll. Have you tried deleting the entire sunflare folder? not the scatterer one but the one in the RVE folder? It might be overriding scatterers sun flare

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Well, RVE uses its own sunflare.dll. Have you tried deleting the entire sunflare folder? not the scatterer one but the one in the RVE folder? It might be overriding scatterers sun flare

Apparently i already did that. I solved the problem now by stop being stupid.

I used the Tracking Station to check the changes, which uses the atmo sunflare. Thanks to tunnel vision i had to figure the obvious out by deleting everything but scatterer :wink:

I apologize if this has already been answered, but how can I open and edit .half files/turn them into raw files, edit, and turn them back?

I would like to make .half files that are intermediate in color/light/whatever between kerbin's files and duna's files.

How would i go about doing this?

I'm not sure that you can unfortunately.

However, you can download the Proland Config tool listed in the OP and then copy the settings values found in Kerbin/Duna's config files, fiddle around with them in the Proland tool as to how you would like them and generate the .half files yourself.

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I apologize if this has already been answered, but how can I open and edit .half files/turn them into raw files, edit, and turn them back?

I would like to make .half files that are intermediate in color/light/whatever between kerbin's files and duna's files.

How would i go about doing this?

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

I'm not sure that you can unfortunately.

However, you can download the Proland Config tool listed in the OP and then copy the settings values found in Kerbin/Duna's config files, fiddle around with them in the Proland tool as to how you would like them and generate the .half files yourself.

What Poodmund said, find a middle ground between the two betaR settings in the config tool.

Argh, what the... Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? Before images on the left, after images on the right. I thought I was always using the stock config that shipped with Scatterer but something changed somewhere and I'm not sure what/where. I personally preferred the look on the left. I've deleted my Scatterer folder and re-installed and still the same as on the right. I've been messing around with kopernicus settings for the sun but I undid all those. Just looking for hypothesis if anyone's got one. Really strange change in graphical behavior. Again, I'm very positive I was always using the stock Scatterer configs for the images shown on the left. I tried KSPRC and SVE just to make sure and none produced the results on the left. Will continue to try to trace back my steps to remember if there was anything else I may have changed/added/removed...

tfn1K5Ll.png

lE5lG2bl.png

12hrs later...

Ok this was really really bothering me so I stripped out everything but scatterer and started digging out old folders from my Recycle Bin. Straight away I was back to my original look (on the left). Here's the difference between the two configs (I didn't think to keep things left/right the same as the photos sorry - the config on the left gives the images on the right, and vice versa). I'm still not sure where I got the config for the look on the left (both folders loaded saying they were v0.0247), but I've decided to keep both. I like the sunrise on the right and Mun on the left, so I'll swap them out for day/night as needed

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 9/6/2016 at 2:56 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I'm still not sure where I got the config for the look on the left (both folders loaded saying they were v0.0247), but I've decided to keep both. I like the sunrise on the right and Mun on the left, so I'll swap them out for day/night as needed

One or the other might have been remnants from an older version or another visual pack that included custom Scatterer files.

Hey Blackrack, This isnt a pressing issue, am im sure its by design, but when you Rename the sun in Kopernicus, scatterer does not work properly. It removes the ocean and there is no atmospheric haze. Its not a big deal i just so happen to notice it :0 thats all. have a good one!

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, SmashingKirby148 said:

It worked! Thanks Galileo! :D

Could you please clarify how you did this? Which folder do I need to place the sunflare into? I don't see a sunflare file in the OPM and Kopernicus folders, just one in the scatterer folder which I have replaced with Galileo's.

8 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Could you please clarify how you did this? Which folder do I need to place the sunflare into? I don't see a sunflare file in the OPM and Kopernicus folders, just one in the scatterer folder which I have replaced with Galileo's.

There isn't a sunflare folder in opm or kopernicus. You have to add my sun cfg from svt to opm and delete any sun cfg within opm so it doesn't conflict with mine

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There isn't a sunflare folder in opm or kopernicus. You have to add my sun cfg from svt to opm and delete any sun cfg within opm so it doesn't conflict with mine

Yeah, I don't see any sun cfg in OPM

EDIT: So, what you're saying is to copy the sunflare.cfg from your sunflare mod to the OPM folder? I don't see any sun cfgs in the OPM folder to delete, though.

Edited by Laythe Dweller

11 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Yeah, I don't see any sun cfg in OPM

EDIT: So, what you're saying is to copy the sunflare.cfg from your sunflare mod to the OPM folder? I don't see any sun cfgs in the OPM folder to delete, though.

No,  you have to download Stock visual  terrain and copy the sun cfg inside svekopernicus over to your gamedata.  If opm doesn't have a sun cfg to delete don't worry about it

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No,  you have to download Stock visual  terrain and copy the sun cfg over to your gamedata.  If opm doesn't have a sun cfg to delete don't worry about it

Oh, I'm not using SVT. I'm using Scatterer, OPM and SVE, and I have the same issue as SmashingKirby.

1 minute ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Oh, I'm not using SVT. I'm using Scatterer, OPM and SVE, and I have the same issue as SmashingKirby.

I know.  You don't need to use svt.  The sun cfg will work by itself.  Once you copy the sun cfg over you can delete the rest of svt

Edited by Galileo