[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

3 hours ago, Tekener said:

I can confirm @TheKurgan's issue with the whitecaps: they are gone and no matter which setting I try they don't appear. I still have a screenshot with the settings of the whitecaps I used to have, so I don't need to remember the values - but they are not working anymore, all I get as "whitecap" is a slightly brighter blue than the ocean itself.

I tried turning on/off the accurate sky reflection but nothing changed, the ocean looks still the same without any white :(

Edit - what I noticed when actually comparing the old and new images: 
And actually the sun reflecion on the water is nearly gone as well, only getting a "brighter" ocean when the sun shines, but no real light reflecion on the waves like it used to be. Also the sky isn't that bright in the sunlight and the shadows are not that dark anymore? And the horizon is also broken in the new version.

Top image is 1.1.3, bottom one 1.2.1 with same ocean settings. Skey reflection does not really change anything.

How can I get the same effect as in 1.3.1 in the above picture?

Sun reflection was fixed in the "cloud extinction" beta i posted a few pages ago, I'll let you dig out the link because I'm on mobile, not sure if it fixes the whitecaps or not though.

Edited by blackrack

On 28/11/2016 at 4:57 AM, blackrack said:

What kind of machine do you have? I would think a 3D artist's machine should be up to the job.

Hmm, I thought the whitecaps shading was messed up by the sky reflections, but your screens show the sky reflections. I'm not sure, but try turning the sky reflections off and tell me what happens.

So OpenGL is messed up on windows? Does this happen for scatterer only or also for EVE?

It still has issues but you can find a .zip and another .dll file somewhere in the last pages.

I tested running only EVE, and that worked as far as I could tell, tried it with only Scatterer installed, and had the issues with black sky and no ocean.

So,  I must have been confused earlier when I said the experimental dll was working with my planet pack,  because definitely isn't.  I don't think scatterer likes that I renamed kerbin.  Not a big deal again,  as the current release is perfect. 

Now I know ive seen this issue in the past in this thread, but I cannot recall the details of it. The old ocean is still present and phases through the new one. Ive seen this before here awhile ago.

EDIT: "May require game restart" Now I need to figure how to delete posts o.O

Edited by Motokid600

15 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Now I know ive seen this issue in the past in this thread, but I cannot recall the details of it. The old ocean is still present and phases through the new one. Ive seen this before here awhile ago.

EDIT: "May require game restart" Now I need to figure how to delete posts o.O

Time to change it to " REQUIRES GAME RESTART!!!!!!!!!!!!"

On 27.11.2016 at 7:57 PM, blackrack said:

So OpenGL is messed up on windows? Does this happen for scatterer only or also for EVE?

Scatterer...

googled it a few weeks ago already - something about fourier pass1 something etc - forget the actual error msg now - no work w opengl in windows 10x64

0.256 or 0.270 same thing - not working w ogl

Edited by gsc

1 hour ago, gsc said:

Scatterer...

googled it a few weeks ago already - something about fourier pass1 something etc - forget the actual error msg now - no work w opengl in windows 10x64

0.256 or 0.270 same thing - not working w ogl

Windows forced OpenGL hasn't worked with scatterer for a while. 

How can I download older version of scatterer? I suspect that the newest one is the reason why my game is currently completely broken. Everything freezes on the Space Centre view (down to perhaps few frames per minute), and there is no scattering effects nor ocean visible. There were no problems like that up to some time last month, when I updated number of mods including scatterer.

Edited by Sol Invictus

5 minutes ago, Sol Invictus said:

How can I download older version of scatterer? I suspect that the newest one is the reason why my game is currently completely broken. Everything freezes on the Space Centre view (down to perhaps few frames per minute), and there is no scattering effects nor ocean visible. There were no problems like that up to some time last month, when I updated number of mods including scatterer.

What version are you using that causes you game to break?  Are you using the experimental version with cloud scatterer effects?  Or are you using 0.256? Are you using a planet pack that renames the sun or reparents kerbin around another sun?  

Post your logs as well

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

What version are you using that causes you game to break?  Are you using the experimental version with cloud scatterer effects?  Or are you using 0.256? Are you using a planet pack that renames the sun or reparents kerbin around another sun?  

Forgive me that I didn't specify it further. I'm using version 0.0256 on KSP 1.2.1. I will try experimental version soon as well. No, I'm not using any planet pack. Although it all started after I tried to install your SSRSS pack last month. However it shouldn't have anything to do with it, since it's long gone as I reinstalled the whole game multiple times in futile attempts at solving the problem.

I have a Kopernicus config file that rescales the sun in order to fix the sunflare, but I don't think it renames the sun.

4 minutes ago, Sol Invictus said:

Forgive me that I didn't specify it further. I'm using version 0.0256 on KSP 1.2.1. I will try experimental version soon as well. No, I'm not using any planet pack. Although it all started after I tried to install your SSRSS pack last month. However it shouldn't have anything to do with it, since it's long gone as I reinstalled the whole game multiple times in futile attempts at solving the problem.

I have a Kopernicus config file that rescales the sun in order to fix the sunflare, but I don't think it renames the sun.

Post your log and I will see if I can spot a problem

0.0256 works perfectly as long as nothing is being renamed or moved around.  It is used in SVE and in SSRSS and it works just fine.  Are you forcing directx11 or opengl? 

Edited by Galileo

50 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Post your log and I will see if I can spot a problem

0.0256 works perfectly as long as nothing is being renamed or moved around.  It is used in SVE and in SSRSS and it works just fine.  Are you forcing directx11 or opengl? 

I just tried "scatterer-EVEintegrationPreview" version, it's all the same. All I changed in scatterer was sunflare (I replaced it with yours). I'm not forcing anything. I tried forcing directx11 and directx9 but it gave no results.

Here is my log, after using experimental version of scatterer just now. I will also upload log after trying again with 0.0256 in a moment.

edit: I installed scatterer 0.0256 again, and miraculously it worked! :kiss:

I didn't replace sunflares with those from your pack this time. Perhaps I was doing it all wrong before, as my last log was telling me something about Ghost3.png missing. I guess I shouldn't have deleted all files from Sunflares directory before copying there new ones.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Sol Invictus

On 29/11/2016 at 4:52 AM, Tekener said:

I can confirm @TheKurgan's issue with the whitecaps: they are gone and no matter which setting I try they don't appear. I still have a screenshot with the settings of the whitecaps I used to have, so I don't need to remember the values - but they are not working anymore, all I get as "whitecap" is a slightly brighter blue than the ocean itself.

I tried turning on/off the accurate sky reflection but nothing changed, the ocean looks still the same without any white :(

Edit - what I noticed when actually comparing the old and new images: 
And actually the sun reflecion on the water is nearly gone as well, only getting a "brighter" ocean when the sun shines, but no real light reflecion on the waves like it used to be. Also the sky isn't that bright in the sunlight and the shadows are not that dark anymore? And the horizon is also broken in the new version.

Top image is 1.1.3, bottom one 1.2.1 with same ocean settings. Skey reflection does not really change anything.

ocean_comparisson.jpg

How can I get the same effect as in 1.3.1 in the above picture?

Alright, try this: https://mega.nz/#!DJQixSCA!BmMNLxtda_SQrRtwNHXi5Bw1vlHZZXk_oZdSfb7JYp8

3 hours ago, Greystripe3 said:

I am not sure where to put the DLLs for the EVE fix. Where do they go?

Which EVE fix?

Btw just to follow up and finalize the OGL / scatterer (0.256 / 0.270) issue since 1.2.1 on w10x64 i mentioned earlier:

[ERR 23:46:50.556] Trying to access pass 4, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.556] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.557] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.557] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.558] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.558] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.559] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.559] Trying to access pass 2, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.560] Trying to access pass 2, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

^^ thats the error msg spam

0.256 worked fine in 1.2.0 w ogl

Edited by gsc

20 hours ago, gsc said:

Btw just to follow up and finalize the OGL / scatterer (0.256 / 0.270) issue since 1.2.1 on w10x64 i mentioned earlier:

[ERR 23:46:50.556] Trying to access pass 4, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.556] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.559] Trying to access pass 5, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.559] Trying to access pass 2, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

[ERR 23:46:50.560] Trying to access pass 2, but material 'Scatterer/Fourier' subshader (0) has only 1 valid passes.

^^ thats the error msg spam

0.256 worked fine in 1.2.0 w ogl

I will look into it.

6 hours ago, cy4n said:

Would there be any way to make the shadows in space darker?

Something like this:

There is a mod called adjust ambient light or something, it does that.