[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@blackrack Remember that totally awesome experiment you had, the wave interaction demo from a year ago? Well ... a lot has happened with the water physics since then and how KSP handles interaction with colliders ... You've got you hands full with scatterer and I'm grateful for that. But if you ever feel like doing something else ... ;-)

@blackrack How does Scatterer's detection system work nowadays? I mean, do I still need to put all of the planet-specific files in scatterer/config/Planets or can I place them elsewhere, for example in the folder of a Kopernicus mod?

And do I still need to add all of the info to scatterer/config/PlanetsList or can I create another config elsewhere in which I provide info for Scatterer for mod planets?

Just wondering if I need to help people through the Scatterer install instructions when I update my Kopernicus mods again, or if I can make it in such a way that it activates automatically upon Scatterer install.

8 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

@The White Guardian Scatterer now can be patched via MM so your configs (be it the planet list, the sun flare or the body-specific scatter parameters) can be anywhere inside the GameData folder.

Alright, thank you!

So how should I do this placement exactly? A config with my mod that reads:

Scatterer_planetsList
{
	scattererCelestialBodies
	{
		X
	}
}

And another one with

Scatterer_atmosphere
{
	PLANETNAME
	{
	}
	PLANETNAME
	{
	}
	PLANETNAME
	{
	}
}

Or would that not work / cause conflicts with Scatterer's default files?

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

@blackrack Remember that totally awesome experiment you had, the wave interaction demo from a year ago? Well ... a lot has happened with the water physics since then and how KSP handles interaction with colliders ... You've got you hands full with scatterer and I'm grateful for that. But if you ever feel like doing something else ... ;-)

The approach I was using last time is just not the right way to do it (basically just offseting the ocean level for seaparate parts every physics frame, which is flawed for multiple reasons). Last I checked nothing in the water physics changed from last time I attempted this and I'm still convinced I'd need to write my own buoyancy engine to get this working correctly. Which is not a simple task and also a field I know nothing about. I would have to spend a long time just researching and experimenting. And while this is interesting I'm not going to do it anytime soon :)

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

The approach I was using last time is just not the right way to do it (basically just offseting the ocean level for seaparate parts every physics frame, which is flawed for multiple reasons). Last I checked nothing in the water physics changed from last time I attempted this and I'm still convinced I'd need to write my own buoyancy engine to get this working correctly. Which is not a simple task and also a field I know nothing about. I would have to spend a long time just researching and experimenting. And while this is interesting I'm not going to do it anytime soon :)

Understood, thanks for the insight :-)

hey Blackrack, are there any different steps in the config tool when creating atmospheres on planets other than Kerbin? I was able to edit Kerbin efficiently, but I don't know how to change the effects on Eve/Duna/Jool/Laythe. Anything different I should do for planets with different sizes? Do I just simply copy the configs and files from the tool straight over like I do so with Kerbin?

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

hey Blackrack, are there any different steps in the config tool when creating atmospheres on planets other than Kerbin? I was able to edit Kerbin efficiently, but I don't know how to change the effects on Eve/Duna/Jool/Laythe. Anything different I should do for planets with different sizes? Do I just simply copy the configs and files from the tool straight over like I do so with Kerbin?

Yes same as usual, it's better not to modify Rg in the config tool, leave it at default, scale Rt and Rl accordingly, then copy everything to the game and it will resize automatically to any planet.

23 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yes same as usual, it's better not to modify Rg in the config tool, leave it at default, scale Rt and Rl accordingly, then copy everything to the game and it will resize automatically to any planet.

Awesome - I half assumed that it it did that on it's own. I'll be messing around with this a bit tonight - I was pleased to see that Kerbin is reddish once again! Or maybe it's just my eyes. Either way since the old EVE port is still compatible with Scatterer I'll be having some fun with it tonight revamping some old packs for my KSPTV debut on Friday :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

5 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

*snip*

5 hours ago, cy4n said:

*snip*

I am using the same method as cy4n to implement Scatter in my own mod directory for the OPM bodies but I am having issues where the default Scatterer files/configs need to be present for my own configs to work and also the config path for the modded bodies all default to the default Scatterer, Duna config path in the GUI.

Let me know how you get on with it if you may.

My ultimate test is to create a Scatterer config that works outside of the main Scatterer directory with only the Scatterer .dll present. It does not seem to function fully in this way at the moment but that would be the sure fire way to test whether MM hook ins are working fully and as expected.

43 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Awesome - I half assumed that it it did that on it's own. I'll be messing around with this a bit tonight - I was pleased to see that Kerbin is reddish once again! Or maybe it's just my eyes. Either way since the old EVE port is still compatible with Scatterer I'll be having some fun with it tonight revamping some old packs for my KSPTV debut on Friday :)

Share them, please! :blush:

26 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Share them, please! :blush:

xD I'll give it to you :) - I'm not allowed to 'mass distribute' it though since it's pulling textures from both Astronomer's Interstellar and Better Atmospheres. I got clear permission from the owner of BA but only half-permission from Astronomer. Going to try and insert the KSPRC terrain in these images through Kopernicus tonight if I have the time tonight. I'll need all the luck I can get... :P

- As a side note I really wish I could do more in new EVE... so much of what I loved with atmospheres is impossible with it now. It's a trade off between putting glow on every single planet, or having cloud shadows.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

36 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I am using the same method as cy4n to implement Scatter in my own mod directory for the OPM bodies but I am having issues where the default Scatterer files/configs need to be present for my own configs to work and also the config path for the modded bodies all default to the default Scatterer, Duna config path in the GUI.

Let me know how you get on with it if you may.

My ultimate test is to create a Scatterer config that works outside of the main Scatterer directory with only the Scatterer .dll present. It does not seem to function fully in this way at the moment but that would be the sure fire way to test whether MM hook ins are working fully and as expected.

Not sure what's going on here but I will investigate.

I've started fiddling with your configurator again Blackrack and I have to say that once you get fast at copying and pasting from the config tool it can be surprisingly simple to get something you like.

I have a small bug to report which I sadly don't have any pictures of... It appears as though Laythe's atmosphere has a strong, black rim around it's edge that's visible when it passes in front of Jool. It was also on Jool until I changed scenes. Is there a button somewhere I should press to fix this or is it just a bug that hasn't yet had the time to be squashed?

@blackrack speaking about Rt and Rl: is there any definite way to pre-calculate (eyeball) them based on the parameters of a body (i.e. atmospheric height, atmospheric density etc) or is it all trial-and-error? I have been using a algorithm but it seems like it does not work for all computer configurations:

• Get the atmospheric body altitude
  • Divide it by two to get Rt
  • Add a (random?) value to get Rl

(or the issue with the cloud fade-in and out is not caused by these two parameters but from the actual scatter point values?)

7 hours ago, cy4n said:

@Poodmund Are you using

@Scatterer_atmosphere
{
	stuff...
}

in your configs? If so, the reason they don't work without the default configs is that there's no Scatterer_atmosphere to edit.

I was using %Scatterer_atmosphere and so on for the others, % being Edit existing or Create if none found.

First of all, a big thanks @blackrack for the wonderful work. I had a bug report, didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Sorry if it is already known.

On a stock 1.2.2 install, on exiting from the space centre to the main menu, the "Mun or bust" screen appears. But with only scatterer 0.256 added to stock, the main menu is kerbin, not the mun or bust screen. Not much of an issue, but it would be interesting to know why. :)

http://imgur.com/l6OcuTK

http://imgur.com/T1FNKYV

Edited by RufousTreepie
corrected broken link

2 hours ago, RufousTreepie said:

First of all, a big thanks @blackrack for the wonderful work. I had a bug report, didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Sorry if it is already known.

On a stock 1.2.2 install, on exiting from the space centre to the main menu, the "Mun or bust" screen appears. But with only scatterer 0.256 added to stock, the main menu is kerbin, not the mun or bust screen. Not much of an issue, but it would be interesting to know why. :)

http://imgur.com/l6OcuTK

http://imgur.com/AfeLshQ

@RufousTreepie Hello! As far as I understand, this is normal.  I get the same thing.