[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

8 hours ago, darvo110 said:

Still seems a bit suss that it lags so much. I've got a 2014 intel integrated GPU which handles fine. Like has been said, volumetric clouds and the ocean shader will jank your fps pretty bad, but the scatterer shader itself is pretty low-intensity.

If your computer can't handle that alone, I suspect there isn't much you really could improve without hurting FPS 

Well that's odd. My integrated GPU is from 2016 and its doing worse than your 2014 integrated GPU. Let me try disabling those two things again. The last time I tried was some time ago, so maybe things have changed, or maybe my memory is just bad :D

On 27/12/2016 at 0:34 AM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

So my computer is pretty low end in terms of graphical capabilities (it has an integrated GPU) but I still use scatterer just because it is too beautiful :D. I find that there is a very sizable amount of lag when on the surface of Earth (I'm using RSS) but in space, the lag is pretty much non-existent. Could I possibly delete the shaders that produce the atmospheric effects on the surface, but keep the shaders that produce the effects seen in space? If so, what shaders would I have to delete?

I also think you might have some other issue if your game lags so much. Post your output.log file.

Anyway, I guess I will make the postprocessing and all the other features togglable from main menu.

Hello,

I am trying to find the cause why the Space Center has random heights / is sunken sometimes...
Please see also this post.
I heard that could be a Scatterer issue. Could that really be caused by Scatterer? I cannot really think about a logical connection.

But... even Scott Manley has the sunken Atlantis KSC Feature. see here... :D 

Already tested: REBUILD OCEANS doesn't fix THIS issue.

1aIou5E.png

Edited by Jebs_SY

4 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hello,

I am trying to find the cause why the Space Center has random heights / is sunken sometimes...
I heard that could be a Scatterer issue. Could that really be caused by Scatterer? I cannot really think about a logical connection.

I have the same, but didn't found the cause yet. It sems to happen when you come back from "outer space" to the KSP. At least I'm pretty sure it is a Scatterer issue, as without it I never experience this polar melting. Rebuild oceans doesn't fix it, but switching to a vessel in outer space and bck to KSP mostly fix it.

1 hour ago, Tekener said:

I have the same, but didn't found the cause yet. It sems to happen when you come back from "outer space" to the KSP. At least I'm pretty sure it is a Scatterer issue, as without it I never experience this polar melting. Rebuild oceans doesn't fix it, but switching to a vessel in outer space and bck to KSP mostly fix it.

Do you use Koperincus, also? (like me in my game and Scott Manley in that linked video)

23 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Hello,

It's probably related to how KSP handles it's flying origin and coordinate system differently in space center view, may need to change something in scatterer.

If I figure out the issue I will fix it, however I don't consider it an important issue since you can still see and click the buildings through the water. Also, it fixes itself on a scene change most of the time, and well... who spends more than 2 seconds looking at KSC anyway?

Edited by blackrack

Well, yes. But I have to say that on my highly modded KSP install the issue occurs really very often (I would say 50%+ chance when I come back to the SC (from a flight scene?)).
If the KSC is to high, it is no problem. If it's Atlantis again, it kills the immersion and on the same time one feels like one plays a sh***y installation and it generates a subconscious bad feeling of something wrong. So I think it is more important that one may think in the first place. However, this shall not be a request to fix it, I am happy that we have a working scatterer and I can live with it. Only want to say, it still is nice, if it's getting fixed.
If one wants to reproduce it for analyzing, I can upload my gamedata folder.

@blackrack
Do you know (for sure) if it is caused by scatterer? Or does it maybe need scatterer and something more like Kopernicus in combination? I would try to go ahead in investigating, as far as I can.

7 minutes ago, Jebs_SY said:

Well, yes. But I have to say that on my highly modded KSP install the issue occurs really very often (I would say 50%+ chance when I come back to the SC (from a flight scene?)).
If the KSC is to high, it is no problem. If it's Atlantis again, it kills the immersion and on the same time one feels like one plays a sh***y installation and it generates a subconscious bad feeling of something wrong. So I think it is more important that one may think in the first place. However, this shall not be a request to fix it, I am happy that we have a working scatterer and I can live with it. Only want to say, it still is nice, if it's getting fixed.
If one wants to reproduce it for analyzing, I can upload my gamedata folder.

@blackrack
Do you know (for sure) if it is caused by scatterer? Or does it maybe need scatterer and something more like Kopernicus in combination? I would try to go ahead in investigating, as far as I can.

I would have to take a look to tell what's causing it but I'd probably have to do something in scatterer either way to fix it. Anyway, I will try to fix it when I can.

@Jebs_SY @blackrack I have this issue too occasionally, the KSC being submerged. I only use Kopernicus, KittopiaTech and the mod I'm working on at that time.

I have found that it seems to occur mostly when moving to the Space Center view from outer space, ergo, when KSP has to load the planet Kerbin because it had been unloaded due to distance.

I recall the first time I saw it, I reverted and the place was underwater. I burst out laughing and said 'well, that looks fancy!' :D

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

@Jebs_SY @blackrack I have this issue too occasionally, the KSC being submerged. I only use Kopernicus, KittopiaTech and the mod I'm working on at that time.

I have found that it seems to occur mostly when moving to the Space Center view from outer space, ergo, when KSP has to load the planet Kerbin because it had been unloaded due to distance.

I recall the first time I saw it, I reverted and the place was underwater. I burst out laughing and said 'well, that looks fancy!' :D

I will see what I can do.

Meanwhile, notice a very overdue feature on this screenshot?

9ha2aON.jpg

@blackrack Did you look at my post on the last page? Nothing I've tried has fixed it, and it is rather annoying on all IVA SSTO missions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler
On 12/21/2016 at 3:41 PM, Micro753 said:

@blackrack, I've found a bug/glitch with this mod. Some parts have large see-through areas when viewed from IVA. Here is a pic:

Reveal hidden contents

KQ9GgNb.jpg

I was using the version of Scatterer bundled with SVE, so I removed Scatterer, and the problem disappeared. I then installed Scatterer from spacedock to see if the SVE cfg files were the problem, and the issue was there again. I then installed Scatterer on a fresh, clean install of KSP 1.2.2 to see if it was a mod conflict, and it was there again. Here is a log from the clean install: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LmNeaJxkIpX19ZNHc1TVJuTzA/view?usp=sharing

7 hours ago, Micro753 said:

@blackrack Did you look at my post on the last page? Nothing I've tried has fixed it, and it is rather annoying on all IVA SSTO missions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry, I can barely keep up. Modify the near clipping plane value to 0.001 (or just lower it until you don't have the issue). It's one of the settings in the scatterer main menu options.

25 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Sorry, I can barely keep up. Modify the near clipping plane value to 0.001 (or just lower it until you don't have the issue). It's one of the settings in the scatterer main menu options.

Thank you! I'll try it now.

Edit: Setting it to 0.1 fixed it. Thank you!

Edited by Micro753

On 1/1/2017 at 8:30 AM, blackrack said:

It's probably related to how KSP handles it's flying origin and coordinate system differently in space center view, may need to change something in scatterer.

If I figure out the issue I will fix it, however I don't consider it an important issue since you can still see and click the buildings through the water. Also, it fixes itself on a scene change most of the time, and well... who spends more than 2 seconds looking at KSC anyway?

Am I a terrible person for showing this happening to my wife and telling her "I launched a rocket so big it melted the polar ice caps"?

5 hours ago, RangeMachine said:

Hello! I tried your latest release from GitHub, with tracking station support:

Tried with D3D9, D3D11, OpenGL, always result is same.

KSP.log

Update:

Installed EVE and now all works fine.

Just fixed it, new .dll here: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/bce3e9775774727cb3b572feb36c21f2ad65e273/scatterer/bin/Release/scatterer.dll?raw=true

thanks for testing.

Full version here for anyone interested: https://mega.nz/#!rcATSATC!WFhNe9UULsYRE-aWZtAfoG-IeDLeNCbWkVQc9hXc0ag

Keep in mind atmospheres still appear to wobble when observing far-away planets, this means observing anything but Kerbin in tracking station the atmo will look like it wobbles, I will work on it before doing a proper release.

17 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

Am I a terrible person for showing this happening to my wife and telling her "I launched a rocket so big it melted the polar ice caps"?

No, you're a fun person.

37 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Keep in mind atmospheres still appear to wobble when observing far-away planets, this means observing anything but Kerbin in tracking station the atmo will look like it wobbles, I will work on it before doing a proper release.

:o I didn't know that was planned to be fixed - I've just been switching vessels to something in orbit of far away planets to get a proper look at them. Best of luck with your search.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

:o I didn't know that was planned to be fixed - I've just been switching vessels to something in orbit of far away planets to get a proper look at them. Best of luck with your search.

Seems to be fixed, please test: https://mega.nz/#!fURQCCZA!xVPD8Eawc4A5HKWxHF0tuz1jIEaHHMVjbcr2n3wUEbY

These files are to overwrite those in the experimental version I posted above

15 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Seems to be fixed, please test: https://mega.nz/#!fURQCCZA!xVPD8Eawc4A5HKWxHF0tuz1jIEaHHMVjbcr2n3wUEbY

These files are to overwrite those in the experimental version I posted above

quick question blackrack, Has any progress been made with the hard terminators and SVE? i have been away for a couple weeks so im a little behind.

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

quick question blackrack, Has any progress been made with the hard terminators and SVE? i have been away for a couple weeks so im a little behind.

Not yet, it isn't an SVE-exclusive issue though, it's the same with stock EVE and scatterer but a bit less pronounced mostly because of the lower cloud altitude and the less dense clouds.