[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have seen you post about this the last couple of days, and the only thing I can think of is that you aren't actually on 1.3. The latest scatterer version absolutely fixed the floating terrain. I haven't seen a single report of it since 0.0320b came out and if I have, it was was always the user was on the wrong version. Also, I don't think you have posted any logs yet, so I haven't been able to look at what version you are using.

Thanks for verifying that at least this is working for others. I don't know were to turn next on this. My opening screen shows ksp 1.3:

screenshot39.png

Why wouldn't I use SVE's config? Because there are ones with EVE and Scatterer - and I'm unsure of who to give priority to. 

I'm manually installing so I get all the configs.  I could always go back to using CKAN, but I've been told that its not a good idea for things like the EVE/Scatterer/SVE/SVT/ + Kopernicus/OPM/OPMVO stack (note: not using OPMVO until is clearly functional with the rest of the 1.3 parts of the stack).  I still use it for Roverdude's stuff and Necrobones, but those are parts oriented, and tend not to be modifying the same thing - or they have a priority established between them. 

Should I go back to using CKAN to install these Graphics and KerbolSystem mod stacks?

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification

24 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Why wouldn't I use SVE's config? Because there are ones with EVE and Scatterer - and I'm unsure of who to give priority to. 

I'm manually installing so I get all the configs.  I could always go back to using CKAN, but I've been told that its not a good idea for things like the EVE/Scatterer/SVE/SVT/ + Kopernicus/OPM/OPMVO stack (note: not using OPMVO until is clearly functional with the rest of the 1.3 parts of the stack).  I still use it for Roverdude's stuff and Necrobones, but those are parts oriented, and tend not to be modifying the same thing - or they have a priority established between them. 

Should I go back to using CKAN to install these Graphics and KerbolSystem mod stacks?

Whoever told you that, doesn't know what they are talking about. SVEs cfgs are done through ModuleManager. They disable scatterers default cfgs and implements its own. OPMVO was developed to work within SVE. So "stacking" is fine. You just need to wait for an update. SVT is irrelevant in this instance, as it doesn't use Scatterer or EVE and it's part of the "Stock Visual" mod set and was developed simultaneously with SVE. Basically, the mods themselves determine which ones take priority thanks to MM. You don't have to change anything.

The only thing that won't work in this mod set is the default EVE cfgs, but SVE instructs you not to download them, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Edited by Galileo

Thanks for the response - now I understand a bit better... and yes, I did understand enough to not allow the EVE configs - pretty explicit warning against that in the SVE install instructions.  For now, with your clarification, I think I have everything working, except OPMVO, which I will simply wait for that to be updated to something that works properly with all the new versions.  I can start me 1.3 career and add that bit in later.

Thanks for all these mods - they make the game so much more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

Thanks for the response - now I understand a bit better... and yes, I did understand enough to not allow the EVE configs - pretty explicit warning against that in the SVE install instructions.  For now, with your clarification, I think I have everything working, except OPMVO, which I will simply wait for that to be updated to something that works properly with all the new versions.  I can start me 1.3 career and add that bit in later.

Thanks for all these mods - they make the game so much more enjoyable.

Might want to check the OPMVO thread :wink: at least the last page...

Edited by Galileo

@blackrack, I can no longer enter negative values into the Scatterer GUI, when I try to input a '-' character into the GUI it logs a message in the console, "Exception: FormatException: Unknown char: -".

The only way to get these values in game is by manually editing the config and reloading it in game.

EDIT: Also I am experiencing the issue discussed here around one of the bodies in OPM: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/28 Did this ever get resolved?

EDIT EDIT: Right I think I've narrowed it down and expanded on the info posted on that GitHub issue.

Basically, Scatterer will constantly throw Null Refs when you are within the PQS load in distance around any body that does not have an ocean. To replicate this issue load a vessel directly from the Tracking Station (so that the refractionCamera has not yet initiated) that is orbiting within the PQS load range of a body without an ocean i.e. around The Mun at 15km or so. You should see the Null Refs appearing in the console log.

Edited by Poodmund

Not sure if this belongs in here or the SVE thread. I've not played KSP for a few months and have just done a fresh install of the latest mods, including SVE and scatterer. I've got a minor visual "glitch" that I remember being able to "tune out" via the configuration options for scatterer. And I can't remember which setting it was. Spent the last hour trying to figure it out, but hoping someone more knowledgeable may be able to point me in the right direction.

Basically there is a dark band in the ocean that moves up/down as the camera zooms in/out (orange arrow), as well as a thin, dark border along the ocean/sky border that can be visible to varying degrees (red arrow): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj4sdnok0afpmch/20170925162913_1.jpg?dl=0

Here is the closest equivalent screenshot I could find from the prior install - the band isn't visible and the border isn't as obvious: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ho0h31ayecnr8b/Y001 D004 T043448 - Explorer III.png?dl=0

Edited by Fourjays

11 minutes ago, Fourjays said:

Not sure if this belongs in here or the SVE thread. I've not played KSP for a few months and have just done a fresh install of the latest mods, including SVE and scatterer. I've got a minor visual "glitch" that I remember being able to "tune out" via the configuration options for scatterer. And I can't remember which setting it was. Spent the last hour trying to figure it out, but hoping someone more knowledgeable may be able to point me in the right direction.

Basically there is a dark band in the ocean that moves up/down as the camera zooms in/out (orange arrow), as well as a thin, dark border along the ocean/sky border that can be visible to varying degrees (red arrow): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj4sdnok0afpmch/20170925162913_1.jpg?dl=0

Here is the closest equivalent screenshot I could find from the prior install - the band isn't visible and the border isn't as obvious: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ho0h31ayecnr8b/Y001 D004 T043448 - Explorer III.png?dl=0

It's a very known thing with scatterer. The ExperimentalViewDirOffset was implemented to fix it, but it didn't work exactly. The name of the parameter has the word "Experimental" after all. There is nothing you can do except ignore it for the time being. Sometimes doing a scene change can make it less noticeable 

Edited by Galileo

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It's a very known thing with scatterer. The ExperimentalViewDirOffset was implemented to fix it, but it didn't work exactly. The name of the parameter has the word "Experimental" after all. There is nothing you can do except ignore it for the time being. Sometimes doing a scene change can make it less noticeable 

That makes sense, thanks. Doesn't seem to make a difference anymore unfortunately.

Edited by Fourjays

I'm running ksp 1.2.2 with RSS, RO and RP-0. Just added RSSVE (latest RC4 build) and scatterer 0.0320 and often times when I launch and cross into space half the screen starts flashing wildly in a seizure inducing manner.  From the screen grab, the light blue portion is what flashes. I've attached a log file.

9ytBVdj.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhouaw9gx44z6bw/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by DocRockwell

1 hour ago, Youre_avarage_Kerbal said:

terrain floats away randomly

A search of this thread for "terrain tiles" will provide some answers, I think.

Also, it really helps people assist you if you can provide some more details of your situation (although it this case, it is a known behaviour).  In general, the versions of KSP and the mod in question are important but read the thread below.

Edited by Brigadier

Download Unity 5.2.4f1: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive (KSP Part Tools work with this version at least)

Install r4mon's Float Curve Editor as you linked above into Unity. Read his "How to Use" section in his OP.

Copy and Paste your Atmosphere pressureCurve values into the Float Curve Editor window to display the curve.

To find the Pressure Half Height, look at the 2nd Value of your first key, this is your 0m ASL Pressure value. Divide this by 2 to get your half-pressure value, then look down your y-axis to find that value and trace is across to the intercept with the curve. Trace that intercept down to the x-axis and it will give you the altitude of the Pressure Half Height in meters.

Here it is done with OPM Tekto's atmosphere. Not that Tekto has a atmospheric limit of 95km and ASL Pressure of 124.63kPa.

QCN0JRv.png

Click to view full res.

What we can deduce from that is that Tekto has an atmospheric half height of 5.7745km with an atmospheric limit of 95km.

My apologies if a solution for my problem is already available. I have tried forum and thread and Google searches, but could find nothing similar to what I'm experiencing. In certain circumstances, when I'm using Scatterer and WindowShine together, I get a visual glitch, which is a rapid and irregular flickering arc, or segment( I forget the correct maths term to use), of a circle. This arc is sky blue in colour. Examples in pictures - I had to spam F1 for a screenshot which captured the glitch:-

Picture one, in which the glitch is showing itself on the left hand side

RR3gl4A.png

Picture two, which was taken in the same session as the button-mashing which captured the first picture. This is how the scene should look

WTLttkt.png

Picture three, similar to one, but this time closer to the Mun. Note also the dark brown arc (shadow, maybe) on the surface texture of the Mun

Yd5wOWc.png

And finally picture four, again showing how the previous scene should look

uLKPRIc.png

My troubleshooting has narrowed the issue down to (as the thread title says) a conflict of some sort between WindowShine and Scatterer. The mods required to reproduce the glitch are:

(1) ModuleManager - a dependency for WindowShine

(2) Texture Replacer Replaced - a dependency for WindowShine

(3) WindowShine itself

and finally (4) Scatterer.

With just these four mods I can reliably reproduce the glitch.

Windows 10 64-bit

KSP-64-bit

KSP 1.3

Steam

nVidia

Reproduction steps:-

- take a clean install of 1.3 and place the four listed mods in Gamedata, as per usual

- start 64-bit KSP

- Start Game -> Training -> To The Mun, Part One

- follow the instructions, just like you would if trying to complete the tutorial. Note, though, that in all my attempts during troubleshooting, I executed all burns and all timewarps in map view, only looking at external view to get my bearings

- when you have timewarped through the transfer burn, and the game automatically returns to 1x speed, exit from map view into external view, and the glitch should now be flickering like crazy

- perform the injection and circularization burns in map view, timewarping as necessary

- when in orbit, having completed the tutorial, exit once more to external view and see that the crazy blue circle is still flickering

Picture of my GameData folder, as per the instructions above:-

hctV5Il.jpg

And my log:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxlonfxg6YObRC1MREJmdTRISDg/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for reading, any solution would be awesome

I'm cross-posting my question in the other sub-forum here. I figure this is the location where I'm more likely to find an answer to my question :-) TIA