[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

This is with v0.0321dev?

It is.

Something I just noticed: When browsing through KerbNet ore maps, one of the options I get is LqdHe3. This sounds like an ocean resource but I'm not sure which of my 150 mods adds it. (Give the large number of mods I am loathe to do intensive bisecting on this, I'd rather not have refraction shaders until this solves itself. :P)

Also, since I forgot to mention this in m last post, I'm playing on Linux.

2 minutes ago, jinks said:

It is.

Something I just noticed: When browsing through KerbNet ore maps, one of the options I get is LqdHe3. This sounds like an ocean resource but I'm not sure which of my 150 mods adds it. (Give the large number of mods I am loathe to do intensive bisecting on this, I'd rather not have refraction shaders until this solves itself. :P)

Also, since I forgot to mention this in m last post, I'm playing on Linux.

Scatterer is strictly visual and has nothing to do with resources. You probably have community resource pack installed...

14 minutes ago, jinks said:

12 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Scatterer is strictly visual and has nothing to do with resources. You probably have community resource pack installed...

And any number of these 150 mods may need Community Resource Pack to remain or they'll break.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Quark said:

Has anyone checked if this works for 1.3.1? It doesn't for me but I want to know if anyone else has it where it doesn't either. 

It works just fine. 

15 hours ago, blackrack said:

Try to keep the game running for a bit longer, change scenes a few times then send me a new log file. Also disable ocean refraction and see if it goes away.

Hi again and thank you for your time...I have disabled ocean refraction and no change at all....I have removed all the mods and install with ckan astronomer pack (with scatterer eve kopernicus....) just to see if the compination with sve has any change...and no change at all.....

here is my last log file..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtTG6caAB-vGzqgobuUltkJzZPAGanq4/view?usp=sharing

Maybe is my rig? it not to powerfull?(strange but i can live with that)... 

On 25/11/2017 at 3:14 PM, maja said:

It seems, that I have steps to reproduce it in KSP 1.3.1.

Mods:

• scatterer - dev version from November 4 or version 0.0320b (it's the same with both versions)

Make sure you have 0.0321dev or 0.0322dev, i distinctly remember fixing this issue in 0.0321dev

0.0322 dev (0.0321 fixes including this bug + halo fix ): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12213-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00320-0320b-06072017-water-refraction/&do=findComment&comment=3227835

0.0321 dev: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12213-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00320-0320b-06072017-water-refraction/&page=270&tab=comments#comment-3210887

Maybe one of your mods comes with an older scatterer.dll file and overwrites it?

On 26/10/2017 at 2:55 PM, xXxP0t4t0MStRxXx said:

I'm having the same issue. I use a Macbook Pro that I just bought. I posted a couple weeks back but no one responded.

Can you test 0.0322 dev linked above for the halo issue (overwrite your files with the files from there)

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, John341 said:

Hi again and thank you for your time...I have disabled ocean refraction and no change at all....I have removed all the mods and install with ckan astronomer pack (with scatterer eve kopernicus....) just to see if the compination with sve has any change...and no change at all.....

here is my last log file..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtTG6caAB-vGzqgobuUltkJzZPAGanq4/view?usp=sharing

Maybe is my rig? it not to powerfull?(strange but i can live with that)... 

Hmm no idea what's going on, your machine seems powerful enough so I'm sure it's not that. Check your GPU usage and CPU usage just in case.

8 hours ago, Mr. Quark said:

Hm, I don't know why it's not working then

make sure you download the last version and then the last links with fixes that were published here in the last pages of the threads only contain some of the files and you need to replace them with the original download. maybe you are only installing the fix and not installing the shaders folder or something? also make sure you don't have any duplicated files in your gameData folder

First of: This mod is awesome. Thanks for making it.

Second: It takes some fps from my pc and I discovered that when I toggle the Postprocessing to off it doesn't take any fps at all, but here comes my doubt: Is there a way to disable it permanently ? 'Cause it seems it doesn't seems to save my choice. Thanks in advance and sorry if I misspelled any words I'm not a native English speaker :D

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Make sure you have 0.0321dev or 0.0322dev, i distinctly remember fixing this issue in 0.0321dev

0.0322 dev (0.0321 fixes including this bug + halo fix ): https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12213-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00320-0320b-06072017-water-refraction/&do=findComment&comment=3227835

0.0321 dev: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip12213-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00320-0320b-06072017-water-refraction/&page=270&tab=comments#comment-3210887

Maybe one of your mods comes with an older scatterer.dll file and overwrites it?

I tested it with both dev versions.

Looking at your code, I think the culprit will be here, because when I switch to the Map View, the exception goes away.

if (m_manager.hasOcean && Core.Instance.useOceanShaders)
{
    if (!MapView.MapIsEnabled && m_manager.m_skyNode.farCamera && !m_manager.m_skyNode.inScaledSpace) {
    	m_manager.GetOceanNode().updateStuff(m_manager.GetOceanNode().m_oceanMaterial, m_manager.m_skyNode.farCamera);
    }
}

Maybe add " m_manager.GetOceanNode() != null " check to the inner if, if what's causing it? I'll do it myself and do PR, but I had problems compiling your code in Visual Studio and hadn't time to dig into it.

Null refs happens only when switching scenes and in low orbit and on the surface of the Mun.

Edited by maja

43 minutes ago, maja said:

I tested it with both dev versions.

Looking at your code, I think the culprit will be here, because when I switch to the Map View, the exception goes away.

if (m_manager.hasOcean && Core.Instance.useOceanShaders)
{
    if (!MapView.MapIsEnabled && m_manager.m_skyNode.farCamera && !m_manager.m_skyNode.inScaledSpace) {
    	m_manager.GetOceanNode().updateStuff(m_manager.GetOceanNode().m_oceanMaterial, m_manager.m_skyNode.farCamera);
    }
}

Maybe add " m_manager.GetOceanNode() != null " check to the inner if, if what's causing it? I'll do it myself and do PR, but I had problems compiling your code in Visual Studio and hadn't time to dig into it.

Null refs happens only when switching scenes and in low orbit and on the surface of the Mun.

Just to be sure, are you reporting a nullref spam that destroys your fps or a lone nullref? I followed your reporduction steps and got a lone nullref that went away and I don't consider that an issue as it doesn't affect gameplay.

Visual studio doesn't like projects started in monodevelop, you need to manually change the tools version or something or just use monodevelop.

Edited by blackrack

On 25.11.2017 at 6:16 PM, blackrack said:

I think I may have fixed the halo issue for good, can you guys confirm?

https://mega.nz/#!nN4EGRQB!Vi_QanmE9XdOQ2IBPQn6UZExvXL_xAEUBCZx6gPZ9mM

paging @Epoxid

The Halo is really gone! Thank you so much!

Just a minor thing now: The menu on startup (that is the scatterer menu overlaid to the main game menu) is not showing and the console is full of "array index out of bounds" errors...

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Just to be sure, are you reporting a nullref spam that destroys your fps or a lone nullref? I followed your reporduction steps and got a lone nullref that went away and I don't consider that an issue as it doesn't affect gameplay.

Visual studio doesn't like projects started in monodevelop, you need to manually change the tools version or something or just use monodevelop.

Both. Lone null ref is during scene change only. Null ref spam is in the flight on low orbit and on the surface.

Did you tested it with scatterer only? Because I tried it right know and you're right, that there is a lonly null ref only, but if I add EVE, then there is suddenly null ref spam.

Conclusion (my case):

• scatterer only - lonely null ref
  • scatterer + EVE - null ref spam
  • scatterer + SVE (EVE is required mod) - null ref spam

I don't know, what EVE breaks, but something is out there :) I can look into it, if you want. It's affecting my game, so I want to find a fix, but I don't want to force you to fix it, if it's not on the scatterer side. Well, I don't want to force you to fix it in either case :wink:

Edited by maja

46 minutes ago, maja said:

Both. Lone null ref is during scene change only. Null ref spam is in the flight on low orbit and on the surface.

Did you tested it with scatterer only? Because I tried it right know and you're right, that there is a lonly null ref only, but if I add EVE, then there is suddenly null ref spam.

Conclusion (my case):

• scatterer only - lonely null ref
  • scatterer + EVE - null ref spam
  • scattere + SVE (EVE is required mod) - null ref spam

I don't know, what EVE breaks, but something is out there :) I can look into it, if you want. It's affecting my game, so I want to find a fix, but I don't want to force you to fix it, if it's not on the scatterer side. Well, I don't want to force you to fix it in either case :wink:

Got it, I'm on it, managed to reproduce.

Edited: @maja I believe I fixed it, please test: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/d119b3cd5b53ac012f0ae0bc5c68a0623cf6644a/scatterer/bin/Release/scatterer.dll?raw=true

48 minutes ago, Epoxid said:

The Halo is really gone! Thank you so much!

Just a minor thing now: The menu on startup (that is the scatterer menu overlaid to the main game menu) is not showing and the console is full of "array index out of bounds" errors...

Ehh, log?

Edited by blackrack

I am getting fps killer nullref spam messages.

Here is my ksp.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43iurzt8s9v7jlf/KSPLOG.rar?dl=0

I have textures unlimited installed, also EVE, scatterer and many mods....

It doesn't happen allways... I think it is generally on surface, or near surface...

Here is what I mean, mostly:

Hide contents

[EXC 00:51:46.899] NullReferenceException
    scatterer.DisableEffectsForTextureReplacer.OnPostRender ()
    UnityEngine.Camera:RenderToCubemap(RenderTexture, Int32)
    KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:renderCubeFace(RenderTexture, Int32, Vector3, Int32, Single, Single)
    KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:renderFace(RenderTexture, Int32, Vector3)
    KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:updateReflections(Boolean)
    KSPShaderTools.ReflectionManager:Update()

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

Got it, I'm on it, managed to reproduce.

Edited: @maja I believe I fixed it, please test: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/d119b3cd5b53ac012f0ae0bc5c68a0623cf6644a/scatterer/bin/Release/scatterer.dll?raw=true

Tested and that null ref spam is gone. Thanks for you work.

There are some lonely null refs, but not in a flight, so don't worry about them.

On 26/11/2017 at 1:23 AM, Galileo said:

Scatterer is strictly visual and has nothing to do with resources.

My train of though was that some kind of erroneous oceanic resource may trigger something inside KSP that then reports to Scatterer that Minmus has an ocean when it shouldn't.

1 hour ago, DrPastah said:

I really like how this mod looks but it makes me drop too much FPS and uses up 100% of my GPU. Is there a guide to make this more optimized.

HoXvH4J.jpg

ayqKnkB.jpg

Lower the ocean quality, disable refractions, disable/lower antialiasing if using ocean, or disable the ocean.

That's it, it's a graphics mod, it taxes your GPU.

2 hours ago, DrPastah said:

How do I optimize terrain shadows? I think that's the issue as my FPS goes up when I'm high above Kerbin. I don't understand the settings.

I think it's on the main menu gui, opened by alt+ f10

edit: There are some other features to optimize performance. I lower the water effects to 32 (although up to 64 is recommended I think, you can lower it down even more, up to 32 is respectable graphics...)
Also, you can disable an option called something like real solar reflection or something. Also make sure EVE is not the one taking you most fps, as it is the one taking mine also, I make some tweaks in the alt+0 menu..., lowering some features in the layer tag

I also recommend resetting the game after making the changes...

Edited by Agustin