[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

:/ no matter what I change, I can't seem to get rid of this intense extinction on my Duna glow:

I'll keep things updated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em. Its been here ever since I released Spectra, but I've been able to mask it pretty well so far.

I'm also having difficulty determining what settings changed to what, the GitHub page isn't clear (or maybe I'm viewing the wrong page, I'm not sure)

P2IsjXU.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe

18 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

KSP v1.6.1, Scatterer v0.0540, GPP v1.6.3.1 + GEP, no SVE, SVT or Spectra.

Firstly @blackrackand @Galileo, thanks for all the work you put into your respective mods.

Secondly, I'm getting the black cloud effect with the new version of Scatterer and was wondering if it's expected to be compatible with GPP?

It’s definitely not compatible with GPP yet. I have not released GPP, but the cfgs are updated on GPPs end and will be good to go upon release

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

It’s definitely not compatible with GPP yet. I have not released GPP, but the cfgs are updated. 

Oh, good, I thought it was just me.  Thanks for the update and I look forward to its eventual update.

GPP is an amazing visual experience.

7 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

:/ no matter what I change, I can't seem to get rid of this intense extinction on my Duna glow:

I'll keep things updated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em. Its been here ever since I released Spectra, but I've been able to mask it pretty well so far.

I'm also having difficulty determining what settings changed to what, the GitHub page isn't clear (or maybe I'm viewing the wrong page, I'm not sure)

P2IsjXU.png

Sorry, what is the exact issue here with the extinction?

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

Sorry, what is the exact issue here with the extinction?

The issue is with EVE Integration on a 2d layer, something is causing the edge to not fade out- 

JFXdHXr.png

I ended up removing my Scatterer configs for Duna in the meantime, and use my stock EVE atmosphere effects :/ I've been unable to recreate the Duna I had in my original release:

qQAuLZw.png

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

The issue is with EVE Integration on a 2d layer, something is causing the edge to not fade out-

I ended up removing my Scatterer configs for Duna in the meantime, and use my stock EVE atmosphere effects :/ I've been unable to recreate the Duna I had in my original release:

I can see it now, I was on my phone earlier and it darkens everything.

Can you try with flatScaledSpaceModel=true in the planetsList?

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

I can see it now, I was on my phone earlier and it darkens everything.

Can you try with flatScaledSpaceModel=true in the planetsList?

I'll give it a go when I get home

A few pages ago someone posted about a white sky bug.  It might not be the same thing, but something similar just happened to me.  I opened the payload bay on my KSO shuttle and the universe turned white.

I've opened and closed those bay doors multiple times today before it happened, so IDK if that's the cause.  I also haven't installed anything new today that might have done it.

Here's my mods:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8smaj5v9l7qgba/KSP Mods32519.jpg?dl=0

which log file are we using now?  It's been a while since I've had to report something like this.

Edit: The problem seems to have corrected itself the next time I loaded the game.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 3/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Galileo said:

I went ahead and created an issue regarding the sun flare stuff

Thank you very much. Do you think this is an issue that Flare Replacer could work around, or rather something that requires an update to Scatterer? Just curious. Either way, many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

8 hours ago, Dafni said:

Thank you very much. Do you think this is an issue that Flare Replacer could work around, or rather something that requires an update to Scatterer? Just curious. Either way, many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I tried everything I can. I have not had time to follow up on my initial issue report on github, but I will Friday for sure. 

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

I tried everything I can. I have not had time to follow up on my initial issue report on github, but I will Friday for sure. 

Thank you. Appreciate it. Those flares are still the best ones around IMO.

I've downloaded the latest version and even though I see some weird clipping effects when flying an airplane and looking down into Kerbin, I also see improved performance and the whole thing looks a lot better, especially the horizon. Really great work.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:38 PM, Phineas Freak said:

If you mean the missing sphere edge then it has absolutely nothing to do with Scatterer (hint: the "camera01" far clip value must be increased).

This seems not to be the case. I tried to push that value up with RSS plug in and config provided by you, but it doesn't help.

I think the problem with scatterer's draw distance in non scaled space. Because I have no such artifacts in KSP 1.3/1.3.1 with Scatterer 0.0275 and 6.4x rescale.

0.275 was last version before 0.0300 - since than Scattere became less friendly to rescaled Kerbin.

You can clearly see that planet surface is not clipped, but the scatterer effect is not drawn, something limiting (config or hardcoded limit?) it's range

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oKF67EnAkRPPeMjm8

SY3gLqv.png

more of those: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ibTkrjipumj9hWSu6

Hello @blackrack ! You are my only hope to upgrade my KSP install from 1.3 / 1.3.1

The only thing that stops me from doing so -  scatterer.  I cannot live without it, and with scatterer...  Each ascent to orbit is breathtaking. Literally never gets old. 

Also I've pushed up a little bit size of len's flare to make that blinding, hardlight effect - like this

JbvqlAv.png

And 6.4x rescale. Once I tried more or less proper scaling, I just don't want to go back to building tiny toy rockets pushing tons of payloads to orbit of tiny, tiny Kerbin.

O'k those are actually two things. But together it's gorgeous. Just look at those screenshots (more than 500 photos):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wuv3yeAHzdGDq8P17

There's was a little bit of aliasing on atmosphere edge, but then I added quite soft KS3P config on top of it - with additional antialiasing and some blur - 0.0275 looks amazing...

Spoiler

eS12jbd.png

kiEsSb1.png

4oVLl0i.png

5kz8N1i.png

Last photo without KS3P, but it looks gorgeous still. Atmoshere is 100 km exactly and no major artifacts in low (80-160 km) orbits. After 160 km scaled space kicks in and everything is perfect.

Unfortunately post 1.3.1 versions are different story...

So, @blackrack, what I'm trying to say - You have done outstanding job already, but I want to kindly ask you for all rescale fans here - may be something can be done to make things look like the did back in 0.0275?

If 0.0275 can be straight ported to 1.6.1 - I'll be happy already. But if you can make adjustments in 0.0540 or expose some configs to solve the problem with scaled worlds - it will be wonderful, more than I can dream of.

I can provide you with packed gamedata folder with assembled 6.4x recale for 1.6.1 - just fire up good old Kerbal X rocket - it's orbit capable even in 6.4x. Or I can test things for this noble cause.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by evileye.x

Is this compatible with SVE? I've had black flickering over Kerbin's surface while in orbit, and I'm wondering if it's related to my SVE installation. It didn't show up before I installed Scatterer.

EDIT: It seems to be just over the oceans. I also didn't have this issue last time I played, at the end of February, using both SVE and scatterer.

EDIT Again: Re-enabling ocean shaders seemed to fix it. I messed with a few things, but I'm 95% sure that was it. Seems odd to have that as an option if it messes with things though.

Edited by Glloyd

The latest release looks great and is a big improvement on some of the issues of the previous release, thank you. I do have a minor bug to note though:

I'm using a 10x rescaled Kerbin, between 80-160km in altitude there's the scatterer horizon doesn't cover the planet in the far distance. Also, the craft itself starts to get increasingly tinted:
n7JvwMi.png

Below 80km everything looks fine, above it's all good as well:
4falnGM.png

I'm using a whole mix of configs I've built up over the years, so if this is a config issue I can deal with it. I'm just not sure what configs I should be looking at?

@blackrack I love the look of the new version, and really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this mod. 

There are two issues that I found, the first is the same kind of black patches on the horizon that @evileye.x and @Citizen247 reported with rescaled systems. This is a 3.2x rescale on a clean install with only scatterer and the mods needed for rescaling (Kopernicus/Sigma/Rescale etc.).

wNSQ70Y.jpg

Some things I noticed:

• Judging from the others' screenshots, it gets progressively worse with larger rescales.
  • It is most noticeable in spots where mountains are on the horizon, and less in flat areas. It looks like it occurs around or in front of the outlines of mountains where they protrude above the spherical horizon.
  • Also most noticeable at high altitude just before the transition to scaled space. I don't see it once in scaled space.

The second issue I found is hopefully simpler, which is that changes to 'Post Processing Alpha' aren't reflected in scaled space. To reproduce:

• Put a craft in LKO.
  • Alt-F11 and set Post Processing Alpha to 2.
  • Zoom out with the camera until it transitions to scaled space. You should see a hard transition where the appearance of Kerbin's atmosphere changes back to what it would be if Post Processing Alpha were equal to 1. Here's the transition:

lIz0eJx.jpg

vEIplZ7.jpg

Edited by BadOaks