[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

It looks really good, but I feel the scattering effect itself is a little strong at low altitudes, so I modified the postprocessing alpha a bit.

Also, it freaks out when I alt-Tab out to type here.

Wait, the alt-tab bug is back? Does it also happen with godrays off?

4 hours ago, HK-47 said:

I just want to say thank you Blackrack. I've been playing this game for 3 years off and on, lurked on the forums on a regular basis the whole time without ever posting anything. You've truly taken this game to a whole new level graphically. It would have been incredibly hard to imagine KSP ever looking this good when I first started. It's amazing what a proper atmosphere, oceans, shadows, flares, eclipses, and godrays have added to the experience. I think you've changed everyones expectations of what KSP can be and I hope Squad takes notice, as you deserve some serious credit for the work you've done adapting Proland to this. 

I can't wait to see the updates you continue to put out. Know that you have so many people grateful for the time you've put in.

- Andy

Thanks. Glad you're enjoying this, glorious album btw.

5 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Very nice update @blackrack I also like how the tint is tweaked. Now the coastlines (beaches) and the sun's reflection are more natural white'ish than before. I always used to tweak the alpha, exposure and tint myself. 

3 minutes ago, Temeter said:

SkyKaptn is right, kerbin seems a bit more realistic and the whole package just feels more refined. Awesome update!

Indeed, I changed and refined the blending mode, the scattering no longer eclipses the original color of the terrain.

Hey blackrack!

The new update looks beautiful. I have noticed some issues, running linux, 64 bit KSP, on Nvidia.

The aircraft in the pics below is throwing one massive god shadow. It only appears in the path after it crosses the horizon (see last pic in the album). Look at the third pic at the shadow thrown by the aircraft and you'll see that there's the shape of the aircraft at the "god shadow's" terminus. Dunno if that helps or not...

The realistic shadows thrown by the mountains on the terrain are incredible. Performance on my somewhat underpowered machine for KSP is also spectacular.

I forgot to note if the issue with z-order on aero effects was fixed, when I get home after work I'll take a look and let you know.

Here's the album showing you what I'm talking about:

Thank you very much for the fantastic work you've done on this. It makes the game much more beautiful.

ETA: if there's anything I can do to help you debug that, let me know!

Edited by stratvox

46 minutes ago, kidolvski said:

Does anyone know what these things are?

And is there a way to make the shadows a little less sharp?

Thanks for the mod!

For the first image, that's shadow acne, only fix is to turn up your shadow quality (by turning up the KSP rendering quality slider).

For the second one see below.

39 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Hey blackrack!

The new update looks beautiful. I have noticed some issues, running linux, 64 bit KSP, on Nvidia.

The aircraft in the pics below is throwing one massive god shadow. It only appears in the path after it crosses the horizon (see last pic in the album). Look at the third pic at the shadow thrown by the aircraft and you'll see that there's the shape of the aircraft at the "god shadow's" terminus. Dunno if that helps or not...

The realistic shadows thrown by the mountains on the terrain are incredible. Performance on my somewhat underpowered machine for KSP is also spectacular.

I forgot to note if the issue with z-order on aero effects was fixed, when I get home after work I'll take a look and let you know.

Here's the album showing you what I'm talking about:

Thank you very much for the fantastic work you've done on this. It makes the game much more beautiful.

ETA: if there's anything I can do to help you debug that, let me know!

These are limitations of the current godrays method that I'm still trying to get around. I explained them somewhat in depth here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00230-24022016-godrays-and-eclipses-preview/&do=findComment&comment=2417617 

No fix for now but to disable godrays. It's also why the godrays are off by default and it says early WIP. Also, I believe the issue with the re-entry effects is fixed.

The issue doesn't appear when it crosses the horizon like you said but rather when the craft moves out of the near clipping camera and into the far clipping camera (where all atmosphere effects are applied).

Edited by blackrack

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

For the first image, that's shadow acne, only fix is to turn up your shadow quality (by turning up the KSP rendering quality slider).

For the second one see below.

These are limitations of the current godrays method that I'm still trying to get around. I explained them somewhat in depth here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00230-24022016-godrays-and-eclipses-preview/&do=findComment&comment=2417617 

No fix for now but to disable godrays. It's also why the godrays are off by default and it says early WIP. Also, I believe the issue with the re-entry effects is fixed.

Aye, I know that they're a WIP. Just letting you know what's happening on the linux/opengl/64 bit side of things. Oh, one other thing about it... the effect only happens when you zoom away from the craft by a large amount; when you're up close, there's no issue that I've been able to see.

Seriously, other than the plane shadow thing, it works perfectly. The terrain shadows make for a lot more verisimilitude when flying about. Spectacular work.

Just now, stratvox said:

Aye, I know that they're a WIP. Just letting you know what's happening on the linux/opengl/64 bit side of things. Oh, one other thing about it... the effect only happens when you zoom away from the craft by a large amount; when you're up close, there's no issue that I've been able to see.

Seriously, other than the plane shadow thing, it works perfectly. The terrain shadows make for a lot more verisimilitude when flying about. Spectacular work.

Yes, I edited my post just now but I believe you didn't see it, for local space there are two cameras in KSP, one for rendering very near objects and the other for farther away stuff, atmospheric effects are only applied to the far camera since it only makes sense there, and that is why that issue only appears when zoomed out.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

Wait, the alt-tab bug is back? Does it also happen with godrays off?

I didn't have godrays on. Looked like this:

Spoiler

GnP1nqI.png

I was using the standard display mode, pure stock + scatterer.

Fantastic job with performance on this update, btw. I figured with all the new features my game would be tanking, but it's not nearly as bad as I expected.

Edited by theonegalen

Hi everyone,

this is one of my first posts on this site.

I' ve tried newest scatterer and now I am seeing those pink squares around probe cores as before in an older version of scatterer. I am using OpenGL and 6.4 self made rescale modification of the system.

That affect does not appear on an unmodded install. Are there any experiences due to this issue?

I have to say that this combined with KSPRC's terrain replacement and SVE's clouds is pretty much as great looking as a game can get. Just fired it up to test now and had to share screenshots because, well, hot damn.

pfOFRZA.png

PCxzBe1.png

mamVkKy.png

I could stare at this for weeks on end. 

Running 64bit on Mac and I get minor framerate issues at launch but it's pretty much buttery smooth once you're in orbit. I don't think the framerate problem is even scatterer's fault, currently trying to simplify KSPRC a bit to get things running smoother.

Edited by benjee10

20 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

Hi everyone,

this is one of my first posts on this site.

I' ve tried newest scatterer and now I am seeing those pink squares around probe cores as before in an older version of scatterer. I am using OpenGL and 6.4 self made rescale modification of the system.

That affect does not appear on an unmodded install. Are there any experiences due to this issue?

Could you try with just scatterer and no other mods?

24 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I didn't have godrays on. Looked like this: 

Reveal hidden contents

GnP1nqI.png

Alright I'll check it out.

Just now, Nhawks17 said:

Hey @blackrack what's the easiest way to edit the .raw files for the proland textures?

The config tool in the OP, just generate new ones and use BetaR from an existing config if you want to replicatean existing one, don't change Rg use the default radius and it will rescale automatically ingame.

Just now, blackrack said:

The config tool in the OP, just generate new ones and use BetaR from an existing config if you want to replicatean existing one, don't change Rg use the default radius and it will rescale automatically ingame.

Oh okay awesome. Thanks!

Mistakes have been made.... I don't know what I did but KSP didn't like it and reverting to a fresh install of Scatterer isn't fixing it O.o

DUmYQmq.png

Edit: Just tried replacing the KSP files to see if that fixed it and it didn't..... I broke something immensely and I don't know if I should be proud of this or not.

Edited by Nhawks17

14 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Mistakes have been made.... I don't know what I did but KSP didn't like it and reverting to a fresh install of Scatterer isn't fixing it O.o

........8<........

Edit: Just tried replacing the KSP files to see if that fixed it and it didn't..... I broke something immensely and I don't know if I should be proud of this or not.

o_O 

23 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Oh dear... You broke EVERYTHING

Edited by blackrack

I was about to report the same issue.

It does not happen when I'm going to a ship very close of Kerbin, but even a sat at 800km altitude or near the mun shows me this screen.

I tried disabling EVE and SVE, but to no avail.

I shall note that I'm playing under linux 64bits (should it matter). Previous version of scatterer was working very well though

Just now, Baleine said:

It does not happen when I'm going to a ship very close of Kerbin, but even a sat at 800km altitude or near the mun shows me this screen.

I shall note that I'm playing under linux 64bits (should it matter). Previous version of scatterer was working very well though

When I had my quick look this morning before work I didn't try way out there. I'll take a look when I get home and see if it reproduces (yes... linux 64 bit :) )

27 minutes ago, Baleine said:

27 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

:D Mwahaha, do you know what it is and/or how to fix it xD

I really have no idea. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Does it also brick your install french-for-whale guy?

Edited: Nothing in the debug log?

Edited by blackrack

The game still works correctly after I removed Scatterer.

I even tried to launch a craft from land to several thousand kilometers and I didn't saw anything strange, but as soon as I switch to another vessel in high orbit or if I go to space station and go back to the vessel I launched, the blue screen of the death appears.

When BSOD is activated, I still have full control on GUI and on the ship.

I noticed nothing in neither KSP.log nor player.log but I can upload them anywhere you feel comfortable should you need to inspect them

Here is my version of the BSOD in case you wonder

dcU7NTz.png

Edited by Baleine

31 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I really have no idea. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Does it also brick your install french-for-whale guy?

Edited: Nothing in the debug log?

6 minutes ago, Baleine said:

I even tried to launch a craft from land to several thousand kilometers and I didn't saw anything strange, but as soon as I switch to another vessel in high orbit or if I go to space station and go back to the vessel I launched, the blue screen of the death appears.

I noticed nothing in neither KSP.log nor player.log but I can upload them anywhere you feel comfortable should you need to inspect them

Oh so this wasn't me messing with Proland then? I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the debug log no. This was only happening when I was in my ship in orbit as well, land crafts are fine.

28 minutes ago, Baleine said:

Alright, try disabling features one by one and see if one of them does it, if nothing works mess with the different settings in the GUI (alt-f10) and see if anything works. If I had to take a guess I'd say something has messed up the extinction, pick the highest config point and mess with extinction multiplier, rimfade and tint. And yeah, do upload your log file.

Edited: btw what's that duplicate UI element in the top-right corner?

Edited again: Managed to reproduce it, I'll see what it is.

Edited by blackrack