[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

4 hours ago, Delay said:

I didn't find any performance difference.

MAX_VERTS was a value that should be changeable. Going into wireframe shows how overkill 65000 vertices actually is, even if 65000 refers to the total number of water vertices the game can use.
It's very small detail for a very large area.

5 hours ago, Agustin said:

I edited my last comment. I changed mainly 3 settings ofthe ocean. One was something about MAX_VERTS: I downgraded from 65000 to 20000

I also changed from 4 to 8 two settings: m_resolution and m_varianceSize

Also the resolution factor to 32. Again. Water looks way uglier. But gained a lot of performance on my mid_end-pc

Ok, so forget MAX_VERTS for now, it only takes effects when the ocean vertexes on screen exceed 65000 which shouldn't be the case with default settings.

Now, you will not gain much performance by tweaking m_varianceSize, plus it should be lowered not increased if you want to gain performance (but really you will not gain much, it will just make the ocean build faster).

m_resolution is what controls the density of the mesh (ie what you see in the wireframe), increasing the value will result in less vertices and better performance (don't make it too coarse though or your ocean becomes polygonal, flat and jittery. And although the shading itself will not look flat, the mesh will be flat).

You can also set m_fourierGridSize to 64 (default is 128), it will make the waves slightly uglier and more repeating but it's still passable.

Also disable refractions (has less performance hit now than it had in it's early days).

That's about all you can do to help performance apart from disabling the ocean.

Out of curiosity, what are both your specs and what other mods are installed?

Edited by blackrack

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

You can also set m_fourierGridSize to 64 (default is 128), it will make the waves slightly uglier and more repeating but it's still passable.

It's strange to me that denser tiling results in better framerates. I - as some who admittedly doesn't know a lot about how any of this works - would assume that less tiling, thus lower density and lower detail, would result in faster rendering because less has to be computed.

58 minutes ago, Delay said:

It's strange to me that denser tiling results in better framerates. I - as some who admittedly doesn't know a lot about how any of this works - would assume that less tiling, thus lower density and lower detail, would result in faster rendering because less has to be computed.

You're on the right track, but it's inverted from that assumption. Denser tiling means it's re-using more of the same stuff, rather than coming up with new details over a wider area. Cutting/pasting the same wave groups (more or less...).

17 hours ago, blackrack said:

m_resolution is what controls the density of the mesh (ie what you see in the wireframe)

Any m_resolution value above 8 - 10 produces clearly visible lines where the water disappears entirely. It seems like these lines are always there, but not visible.

Perhaps a culling problem? I'm pretty certain this is not intended behavior.

Edited by Delay

On 11/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, Delay said:

Any m_resolution value above 8 - 10 produces clearly visible lines where the water disappears entirely. It seems like these lines are always there, but not visible.

Perhaps a culling problem? I'm pretty certain this is not intended behavior.

Screenshots?

18 hours ago, Agustin said:

So... because you asked what my computer is:
I5 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
2GB GT 720 (not that great, actually pretty bad)
and playing in RSS/RO/RP-1.

Hmm in your case the performance seems about right.

18 hours ago, Delay said:

i3-2100 3.1GHz
12.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti

KSP 1.5.1

Additional mods:
EVE (with a modified config based on the one given in the thread), Principia, VSR, (MM).

In your case I would run either EVE or scatterer but not both together, if running both maybe consider disabling the EVE volumetrics.

32 minutes ago, Delay said:

@blackrack

The smaller the mesh resolution is, the flatter the angle has to be, so the less apparent it becomes.

Hmm, thanks for reporting this, looks like the UV interpolation in the vertex shader breaks down in certain conditions.

I will take a look at it.

For now just use values that work fine until I fix this.

Edited by blackrack

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hmm, thanks for reporting this, looks like the UV interpolation in the vertex shader breaks down in certain conditions.

I will take a look at it.

Note that both screenshots were made at different m_resolution values: The first one was made at 100 (to exaggerate the problem/make it more apparent), the second one at 20 (to show that lower values are affected also)

Edited by Delay

No changes to my game just started getting this weird black circle? Anyone know how to get rid of it? https://imgur.com/a/sbDBMxv

On 11/27/2018 at 7:49 PM, HaydenTheKing said:

Help me please, I can't get scatterer to work without having graphic errors. With Dx9 game flickers like crazy when near ground (https://imgur.com/a/iLfuHcb). Dx11 forced I am able to fly planes and rockets without any flickering although this happens in the VAP and SPH (https://imgur.com/a/JAmc5AU).  

KSP 1.4.5

Mod List: https://imgur.com/a/IJr7Em7

Output log Dx11: https://ufile.io/8rc9f

Output Log Dx9: https://ufile.io/pdsbn

Previous post

14 minutes ago, Delay said:

Note that both screenshots were made at different m_resolution values: The first one was made at 100 (to exaggerate the problem/make it more apparent), the second one at 20 (to show that lower values are affected also)

I found the problem already, the fix will be in the next version.

9 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

No changes to my game just started getting this weird black circle? Anyone know how to get rid of it? https://imgur.com/a/sbDBMxv

Previous post

That black circle is caused by dx11 and not scatterer.

The no icons bug is caused by dx11 and not scatterer.

The flickering issue was fixed in 0.0336.

51 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I found the problem already, the fix will be in the next version.

That black circle is caused by dx11 and not scatterer.

The no icons bug is caused by dx11 and not scatterer.

The flickering issue was fixed in 0.0336.

So Dx11 is the issue? I fixed the icon thing with based on a previous post. IIRC I had that flickering with dx9 in 0.0336 as well. It is strange because it wasn't doing that ring a couple of days ago.

EDIT: Restarting and updating to 0.0336 didnt fix. I am still running dx11, will check with dx9. It seems to only do it in map view for what every reason. When looking at the sun when flying a craft there is no issue.

Edited by HaydenTheKing

Yes, I disabled City Lights , terrain textures and volumetrics from EVE, so I just have the 2D clouds and from Scatterer I played with those configs and like this I can run it pretty smoothly. Scatterer is the most important though.. Those sunsets and colorful skies are so beautiful... I even have made a mix for RSSVE and RSSVE-lite.

2 hours ago, HaydenTheKing said:

So Dx11 is the issue? I fixed the icon thing with based on a previous post. IIRC I had that flickering with dx9 in 0.0336 as well. It is strange because it wasn't doing that ring a couple of days ago.

EDIT: Restarting and updating to 0.0336 didnt fix. I am still running dx11, will check with dx9. It seems to only do it in map view for what every reason. When looking at the sun when flying a craft there is no issue.

Can you make a video?

1 hour ago, HaydenTheKing said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsEVCvPimck&feature=youtu.be

Only happens in the map view. Doesn't happen when flying a craft and look at the son. Doesn't seem to be present on Dx9.

Video doesn't work, anyway test without scatterer and see if it still happens, I think it does.

I meant a video for the flickering issue because I thought it was fixed in the latest version.

12 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Video doesn't work, anyway test without scatterer and see if it still happens, I think it does.

I meant a video for the flickering issue because I thought it was fixed in the latest version.

Not sure how to share private videos on youtube.  The black circle is gone without scatterer. I am not seeing the flickering anymore with updated scatterer Dx9. For me looks like I will keep it on Dx9 as I am not seeing any issues.  Good thing I have 32gb of ram Dx9 is a thirsty api!

1 hour ago, Pointblank66 said:

@blackrack Is this the atmopheric bug, where the scatterer atmosphere disappeares between certain altitudes, fixed yet for Galileo's Rescale? Iirc wasn't that something on the list of stuff that would be fixed for KSP 1.5?

It's fixed since last week but I have not released it yet. I've made a lot of changes and want to finish tidying up as well as experiment with some other ideas before putting together a release.

30 minutes ago, blackrack said:

It's fixed since last week but I have not released it yet. I've made a lot of changes and want to finish tidying up as well as experiment with some other ideas before putting together a release.

Any expected ETA on it or is it gonna be a Blizzard approach, finished when it's finished?