[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

So, time for a new version.

The biggest features are full EVE compatibility, working orbital view that isn't soup, and celestial objects visibility through the atmosphere. There's also a way to change settings based on altitude and fade them in/out.

A bunch of under-the-hood changes and lots of bugfixes are also included. You will find a shiny new album in the OP as well as a full changelog and a short explanation on how the new config system/UI works.

Post-processing effect in OpenGL seems to be completely broken in this version but I'll try to fix it in the next week.

I recommend using the mod in conjuction with rbray's EVE (I personally use grandma 7-4 version and I haven't had much time for testing with wip-EVE) and distant object enhancements for the simulated exposure/stars dimming effect (thanks to Proot for this tip).

I've added a donate option in the OP so you can support the mod (and me) if you like it.

I'll be uploading to kerbalstuff in a minute.

Have fun!

Edited by blackrack

I'm using DX11 version and no EVE but I can only see scattering effects from Map view and not from the craft. Or is the effect so subtle now that you can barely notice it?

I'm using DX11 version and no EVE but I can only see scattering effects from Map view and not from the craft. Or is the effect so subtle now that you can barely notice it?

Try dx9 just to be sure, maybe dx11 got messed up too?

Edited: Heads-up, just fixed dx11, new version up. OpenGL will take longer though.

Edited by blackrack

Blackrack, this is just... absolutely stunning, this latest update is beautiful. Just want to share a neat shot with everyone. I'm using AVP V2. I do have the optional atmospheric scattering that AVP provides and I think thats why Kerbin looks a little too hazy but it still looks wonderful. Brilliant work Blackrack, really.

[spoiler=High Res, open to see :P]gFohaeg.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance here, but am I right in saying that if I've already got EVE and AVP Interstellar up, if I install this there'll be no conflict, it'll just make Kerbin look awesome?

Edited by TicTacToe!

Sorry for my ignorance here, but am I right in saying that if I've already got EVE and AVP Interstellar up, if I install this there'll be no conflict, it'll just make Kerbin look awesome?

If you look up two posts you can look at a picture I posted of this and AVP :P

Too bad OpenGL messes this up. Also, I think there's a bug with Kopernicus in OpenGL that makes rings around planets pink.

No, that's Christo at work, not having contented himself with making the Florida Keys pink....

Don't know about AVP as I haven't tried it myself but ksprc had one additional layer over kerbin which could be disabled through EvE.

Seems to work really well with the dev version of eve:

GmUtp3V.jpg

tB2CedL.jpg

BcrIzVs.jpg

one odd visual glitch though, really tough to catch in screenshots, easier to see in motion. the haze seems to apply in front of objects, putting line where the horizon would be if you fly close to mountains. i took a shot at capturing it but its hard to see in stills:

http://i.imgur.com/cu6geIy.jpg (liked for big)

on the left and right against the mountains you can see where the horizon would be, the haze is being projected in front of the mountains. any idea how i can tweak the settings to make it less noticable?

Seems to work really well with the dev version of eve:

http://i.imgur.com/GmUtp3V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tB2CedL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BcrIzVs.jpg

one odd visual glitch though, really tough to catch in screenshots, easier to see in motion. the haze seems to apply in front of objects, putting line where the horizon would be if you fly close to mountains. i took a shot at capturing it but its hard to see in stills:

http://i.imgur.com/cu6geIy.jpg (liked for big)

on the left and right against the mountains you can see where the horizon would be, the haze is being projected in front of the mountains. any idea how i can tweak the settings to make it less noticable?

It's pretty much a limitation in the shader, I'll try to fix it later. In the old versions you could more or less fix it by setting atmosphereGlobalScale to 999 but that brought a few other problems...

Btw those shots with wip-EVE... That's like a whole new level, that seriously looks amazing.