[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

They aren't useful when my math lesson tells me to solve a inverse matrix using the identity matrix, when upon further research, I find that college textbooks say, and I quote "This method of solving is very complicated and uses many calculations, and is so difficult it is almost never done by hand, and is almost always done by calculator."

Thanks, math lesson. (don't get to use a caltulator.)

Forgive me if I've a total noob here, but if the ocean only comes up a little bit, why not just move the KSC up so the ocean never comes through, and call it a day?

That would probably break everything in the game. Also, flying close to the surface would be a jarring nightmare of things coming up and down the whole time.

Edited: Well, it looks like I'm going to give up on the ocean shaders for now.

Edited by blackrack

That would probably break everything in the game. Also, flying close to the surface would be a jarring nightmare of things coming up and down the whole time.

Edited: Well, it looks like I'm going to give up on the ocean shaders for now.

Maybe this a unorthodox idea but I'm gonna put a bit of lateral thinking: have you tried to make "dissapear" the stock ocean with wip-EVE?. I mean, you can use an empty texture in EVE for the ocean. Could be worth it?

Maybe this a unorthodox idea but I'm gonna put a bit of lateral thinking: have you tried to make "dissapear" the stock ocean with wip-EVE?. I mean, you can use an empty texture in EVE for the ocean. Could be worth it?

The problem isn't the stock ocean, the problem is my new ocean won't "behave".

I hope so too! I really want to see those oceans!

Tell me about it!

I'm so glad that you two are working together on this, or you are helping, whichever it is. Now I have tasted such sweet fruit I cannot return to normal fare...

Scatterer with ocean shimmer alongside clouds... delicious.

The game really looks wrong without EVE and it also really looks wrong without this mod too.

I'm waiting for both mods to work together like a 6 year old waits for Christmas on Christmas eve...

EDIT : It might be asking a lot but would it be possible to put out an EVE compatible 1.0 compatible version? I'd be SO happy to use the atmo shaders with EVE in 1.0 and while it would not be as nice as with your lovely water it would be good enough for now until hopefully something magic happens and the water is figured out.

Edited by John FX

I have to be horribly, terribly negative for just one moment. Man, Squad put all this work into 1.0 and it's totally awesome but GEEZUS, how can one not DREAM clouds and atmospheric effects would have been somewhere higher on their list! It's just so damn BEAUTIFUL. This is amazing, amazing, amazing. These are those finishing touches that just make the whole game pop. I look forwards to taking screenshots with you mod installed sir.

Tell me about it!

I'm so glad that you two are working together on this, or you are helping, whichever it is. Now I have tasted such sweet fruit I cannot return to normal fare...

Scatterer with ocean shimmer alongside clouds... delicious.

The game really looks wrong without EVE and it also really looks wrong without this mod too.

I'm waiting for both mods to work together like a 6 year old waits for Christmas on Christmas eve...

EDIT : It might be asking a lot but would it be possible to put out an EVE compatible 1.0 compatible version? I'd be SO happy to use the atmo shaders with EVE in 1.0 and while it would not be as nice as with your lovely water it would be good enough for now until hopefully something magic happens and the water is figured out.

EVE and even Astronomers Visual work on 1.0 (with a little tweaking) You want to convert all the textures you can to .dds and make sure you don't flag them as "normal" The first time I tried to load them up it crashed immediately. I then went back and found the larger textures in the mod and converted to .dds and it boots fine with 10+ mods and counting and I'm still under 2.8GB and it crawls back down as low as 2.5GB during game play. If you need a little more help, we're all here to help each other.

edit: Proot I really hope you don't feel like I'm trying to take away from the renaissance pack in any way, I haven't used that one yet but. Lens flares and the menu logo also work as well but that takes playing around with the new 1.3 asset explorer. And pulling from the .25 version of Astronomers Visual pack. You can see the lens flares in any of my youtube videos. (I believe these flares can also be used in conjunction with Proot's Renaissance Pack

Edited by V8jester

EVE and even Astronomers Visual work on 1.0 (with a little tweaking) You want to convert all the textures you can to .dds and make sure you don't flag them as "normal" The first time I tried to load them up it crashed immediately. I then went back and found the larger textures in the mod and converted to .dds and it boots fine with 10+ mods and counting and I'm still under 2.8GB and it crawls back down as low as 2.5GB during game play. If you need a little more help, we're all here to help each other.

I might not have been very clear in my post and looking at it, it looks like I was saying I wasn't getting EVE working in 1.0 which I have. I'm using clouds but I really would like clouds and scatter.

I used to use the DDS converter in the DDSLoader thread, do you know if that still works for converting images for the stock DDS reader?

I might not have been very clear in my post and looking at it, it looks like I was saying I wasn't getting EVE working in 1.0 which I have. I'm using clouds but I really would like clouds and scatter.

I used to use the DDS converter in the DDSLoader thread, do you know if that still works for converting images for the stock DDS reader?

Yes that's what I used to get EVE and Astronomers running on my computer with .dds Will Scatter run with EVE installed? I'd like to try that later, Scatter is looking really, really good.

Yes that's what I used to get EVE and Astronomers running on my computer with .dds Will Scatter run with EVE installed? I'd like to try that later, Scatter is looking really, really good.

They run fine except you can't see the clouds from ground level. Once in orbit it's actually not bad.

I like this mod, but it adds somewhere between 300 and 500 meg to the memory usage.

Makes it a bit too expensive to use on Windows

I used to have the same problem as you when I was on my old computer! Windows is what KSP is made for, so make note that Windows isn't the reason you may be having problems (not saying that there are problems with windows :blush:). I suggest you get 4GB of ram if you don't already. If you do already, get a better CPU. Those both should have the most impact on running KSP. Don't quote me on this tho xD (I built my own PC for ~700 and it runs KSP very well.)

Lots of numbers in a huge table. Matrices are easy, inverse matrices are not.

Just do some row operations with another identity matrix beside it to find its inverse. Although, it takes a while if it's a lot of matrices.

I like this mod, but it adds somewhere between 300 and 500 meg to the memory usage.

Makes it a bit too expensive to use on Windows

I find that Scatterer along with EVE base is much more stable than pumping a bunch of hd textures on EVE and the visuals from orbit and on re-rentry are just plain prettier in the scatterer configuration for a nearly identical memory footprint.

Of course on ascent it looks wonky with the clouds popping in as you pass through them but as far as visual enhancements go it seems to have a much more stable running config than alternatives and if you aren't willing to put 1/8th of your x86 4gb cap towards proper enviromentals you arent going to have anything at all, the current memory impact is pretty nominal.

working on getting haze where I want it, looks pretty nice right now but I feel like I need to find some settings that show off the outlines of the continents a bit clearer and allow the clouds to be a bit brighter white. Great mod, instantly top tier on the install list.

hNLQbEyl.jpg

Edited by Terrible Inclinations

I find that Scatterer along with EVE base is much more stable than pumping a bunch of hd textures on EVE and the visuals from orbit and on re-rentry are just plain prettier in the scatterer configuration for a nearly identical memory footprint.

Of course on ascent it looks wonky with the clouds popping in as you pass through them but as far as visual enhancements go it seems to have a much more stable running config than alternatives and if you aren't willing to put 1/8th of your x86 4gb cap towards proper enviromentals you arent going to have anything at all, the current memory impact is pretty nominal.

working on getting haze where I want it, looks pretty nice right now but I feel like I need to find some settings that show off the outlines of the continents a bit clearer and allow the clouds to be a bit brighter white. Great mod, instantly top tier on the install list.

http://i.imgur.com/hNLQbEyl.jpg

Wow, that looks great! Can you share your Scatterer settings?

Wow, that looks great! Can you share your Scatterer settings?

unfortunately scatterer doesent seem to commit changes between session changes and resets to defaults (unless im missing a setitng, I am kinda dumb) so I lost the exact settings in that shot, but i did get smart and start keeping them after.

I actually think this is a better config, just install EVE and Scatterer, use the settings in the ground shot for a nice balance of cloud cover and haze.

e. I also killed city lights for those shots because the fighting was killing me slowly

Edited by Terrible Inclinations