[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

You get such high FPS in OpenGL mode? Share your secrets! Even in editor with no ship loaded my fps sometimes drops to 35-45 when I move the camera around and I have machine with more or less the same specs.

- - - Updated - - -

oO this is amazing

Ok, so pasting this at the end of the shortcut target field for your ksp, be sure you have ".exe space -" ( -forceopengl -popupwindow)

-forceopengl will move more of the work load to a dedicated video card so you need to have one to get the most out of it. And OpenGL may not work with some video cards and most on board graphics. This will free up the processor which in turn frees up fps.

-popupwindow allows for fast switching and not tearing ksp apart and in my case an additional FPS boost.

FPS tricks are everything at max even render quality, but turn off frame clipping that's a big one. Set the "max physics delta time" in general settings all the way to the right. Also Converting textures to .dds helps bring down the memory footprint considerably as I am learning with 1.0 adding native support. I went from 60fps to bouncing off 160fps at the main menu just by turning off frame clipping, I was really surprise at this one. With EVE and Astronomers visual I run an unaltered version of EVE for .24 which runs fine and I converted the textures in Astronomers to .dds I also used unity explorer to add in the lens flairs and main menu logo from an older version of astronomers (before interstellar) into the new asset files for 1.0 (asset file tweaks are for visuals only not FPS, Different discussion if you are interested) Hopefully I didn't open a can of worms. And if I left you with more questions than answers one of us on the form will be happy to help you out.

And for those who don't believe this all works, I love you guys :) Here is a 270 part Osprey Running above 30fps recorded with Fraps

edit: Oh I neglected to mention I'm running win 7, the video is from .90 64bit but the results seam more stable in 1.0 32bit excluding the mod capacity of course. So far still hitting 100-120fps on small rocket launches.

Edited by V8jester

Hey there, So here is my experience with the latest version.

Loading-

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459030925/D29D65767290F1A4164D80E8BA2F04A9AF57F79B/

KSC-

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459031546/215D334756624342E51B2300EA6F40ABE2CDD31F/

Launch-

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459031037/456F9C839CED9FF7B06CA1EBDF28C3E0BED5426C/

Atmosphere breaks at unknown altitude-

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459031191/1576E2A4ECA70CF7532FFF2AD097462934DC2AE8/

Seen from a bit higher in space-

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459031327/EB9AF4041027D969151EDDD526A1484231C18B64/

As seen from orbit.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/47629311459031430/51AC8D826F44C4667710A33B79D6DE024C5FA5F2/

Note: I have a few mods installed could it be cause by any?

This is only like my second ever post here, so forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong (too much quote above?), but this was also happening to me. I only had EVE, Chatterer, Texture Replacer, Planet Shine, & Distant Object Enhancement installed when I tried to use this.

Someone above in the thread had mentioned they believed it was due to TR. I'm inclined to believe that, most of my personal headaches with incompatible mods seem to stem from that.

You know, I USE pop-up window, but I always alt-enter once in game. I find it hurts my memory usage significantly, as in I'm sure there is a leak. With pop-up window on, my memory usage simply climbs forever. Without it on, it stays stable. My window and fullscreen resolutions are the same so the switch is instantaneous and painless.

Edited by Hyomoto

You know, I USE pop-up window, but I always alt-enter once in game. I find it hurts my FPS to not have it go fullscreen. Then again, my window and fullscreen resolutions are the same so the switch is instantaneous and painless.

Oh that's right, Thanks! I forgot to mention that, turn off full screen and just set the resolution to your native resolution for the monitor when using -popupwindow

Hey there, So here is my experience with the latest version.

Note: I have a few mods installed could it be cause by any?

Are you running in opengl, if I run in windows DX9 scatterer works fine, if I run in OpenGL i get the same lines as you show in your images.

I also find OpenGl does not run as well for me in 1.0 as it did in previous versions so I have stopped bothering with it and dropped my mod count dramatically. I am running an AMD FX- 8350, 16Gb ram, and Nvidia 970. Game is running from a Samsung Evo SSD.

Are you running in opengl, if I run in windows DX9 scatterer works fine, if I run in OpenGL i get the same lines as you show in your images.

I also find OpenGl does not run as well for me in 1.0 as it did in previous versions so I have stopped bothering with it and dropped my mod count dramatically. I am running an AMD FX- 8350, 16Gb ram, and Nvidia 970. Game is running from a Samsung Evo SSD.

What were your symptoms? I do recall a single setting in my NVidia control panel reeking havoc with EVE at first. If I think of the setting, I will post what it was. Or someone else might beat me to it. But you shouldn't have any problems really. I'm running a raid array with 2 7200rpm drives so I'm not too far behind you.

I noticed when scatterer is installed, the ground textures change from nice and hi quality, to old 24.5 style textures, would it be possible to change that or would it be as simple as me changing it? Thanks for replying

Beautiful! I spent hours trying to tweak the parameters of the stock scattering shader but I was unable to do anything good ...

Now that's amazing, way better than anything I expected!

The next version of PlanetShine will definitely have a special setting to work with scatterer and adapt atmospheric ambient light color/intensity according to it, KSP will have the best sunsets :)

For people still getting the lines bug, try disabling forced aniso from the drivers, if that doesn't do it try running KSP in "fastest" mode, if that works I'll put in a "toggle aniso" switch in the next version for people with this bug.

hello, I would like to know if there is a way to increase the height for cut-off point, so the effect wouldn't end under 10km

If you want a higher atmosphere, you can already do this with the config tool. I'll make a higher one default in the next version.

I noticed when scatterer is installed, the ground textures change from nice and hi quality, to old 24.5 style textures, would it be possible to change that or would it be as simple as me changing it? Thanks for replying

I knew this should happen but I didn't notice any difference or if it wasn't significant. If you can really notice the difference post some comparison pics and I'll fix it in the next release.

Hello. Please explain how to make the same ocean as in the ScattererTool?

That won't happen until I get the ocean shader working right. Unfortunately I don't have much free time to work on the mod these days, unlike the last few weeks.

Edited by blackrack

It seems to be working so far, howeverthe underside of all vessels look extremely overexposed, veering off to pure white most of the time. Is this a known bug?

Never heard of this, in fact no effects should be aaplued to anything less than a kilometer away.

That won't happen until I get the ocean shader working right. Unfortunately I don't have much free time to work on the mod these days, unlike the last few weeks.

C'est la vie, do a Patreon.

This joke is inspired by eloraam of Minecraft fame who put up a Patreon to make a Minecraft clone. I find it surprising because apparently he/she lacked the ambition to actually make their own game, and rather just wanted to copy, piece for piece, what had already been done. With that being the case you'd think they'd be fine just making a mod, it's a hell of a lot less work and has the benefit of a built-in audience.

Beautiful! I spent hours trying to tweak the parameters of the stock scattering shader but I was unable to do anything good ...

Now that's amazing, way better than anything I expected!

The next version of PlanetShine will definitely have a special setting to work with scatterer and adapt atmospheric ambient light color/intensity according to it, KSP will have the best sunsets :)

That sounds amazing! With that news, I'm highly hoping that I'll be able to go back to my KSPRC-Planetshine-ambientlighting-Hot/cool rockets combo I used to make my old cinematics. Only this time I'll be adding scattered along side too. It should be a beautiful mix.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Never heard of this, in fact no effects should be aaplued to anything less than a kilometer away.

Ok, i'll upload some screens, then.

jYqRIYS.jpg

Is there a way to diagnose this? How can I help?

I'm using planetshine too, can this have an impact? Tried the mod on open gl before, but i got the blue lines at the sky bug.

Good work, by the way. This is beautiful stuff.

Ok, i'll upload some screens, then.

http://i.imgur.com/jYqRIYS.jpg

Is there a way to diagnose this? How can I help?

I'm using planetshine too, can this have an impact? Tried the mod on open gl before, but i got the blue lines at the sky bug.

Good work, by the way. This is beautiful stuff.

I'd say the first step is to try running with no mods other than scatterer, you never know...

I'd say the first step is to try running with no mods other than scatterer, you never know...

Yeah I had to run KSP stock + scatterer, then add Kerbcam to confirm that they where incompatible :P. With the fast load time this is an extremely efficient method too. Luckily my own visual/texture mod won't have any compatibility issues!

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Yeah I had to run KSP stock + scatterer, then add Kerbcam to confirm that they where incompatible :P. With the fast load time this is an extremely efficient method too. Luckily my own visual/texture mod won't have any compatibility issues!

This, also for quick testing I usually use scatterer + loadOnDemand (haven't tested loadOnDemand for 1.0 yet) and the game loads up in 30s.

I knew this should happen but I didn't notice any difference or if it wasn't significant. If you can really notice the difference post some comparison pics and I'll fix it in the next release.

With Scatterer: kM5Lqcp.jpg

Without Scatterer: 1fAfsUh.jpg