[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Why does it look so strange for me from space? take a look at the pics to see what I'm talking about

it's way easier to see when the images are big

http://imgur.com/a/M5nZm

linux (ubuntu 15.04)

ksp 1.02

nvidia gtx 760

only other visual mods are distant object enhancement and planet shine

Dude that first pic...

yr5fZYU.png

That looks so awesome XDD Maybe not intended but... heh. And hello! I don't think we've met before. Always nice to find another Lego classic space loving guy online. :)

Dude that first pic...

That looks so awesome XDD Maybe not intended but... heh. And hello! I don't think we've met before. Always nice to find another Lego classic space loving guy online. :)

Just think of how much more awesome it would be sans-circles.:rolleyes:

It's funny because I like the look of the old .24 ground textures more XD. I just wish that the KSC grass textures matched!

I don't hate the old texture either, its just when you're standing right on top of the grass, it seems very Lo Res compared to the newer looking textures

If you want a higher atmosphere, you can already do this with the config tool. I'll make a higher one default in the next version.

Sorry for the quote from a few pages back, blackrack. May I suggest a height of 15-20km? I don't remember what the atmosphere pressure is at that altitude compared to sea level (I haven't played with FAR for a while), but the atmosphere practically 'ends' there as in anywhere higher than that the atmosphere has a minimal effect on a craft.

Wow, my thread's a sticky now? Hell yeah!

Sorry for the quote from a few pages back, blackrack. May I suggest a height of 15-20km? I don't remember what the atmosphere pressure is at that altitude compared to sea level (I haven't played with FAR for a while), but the atmosphere practically 'ends' there as in anywhere higher than that the atmosphere has a minimal effect on a craft.

I tried a 12km height and thought it looked good enough but from orbit it looked a little "scaled up", might just need finer settings though. I'll try 15-20 also.

iirc, Kerbin's scale height is 5km, so that would be roughly 5% @15km and 1.8% @20km.

Hey guys, LOVE the look of scatterer but whenever I've tried it (on 0.90 and now 1.0) I run into the issue with jagged lines in the sky that a few other people have posted here. I'm running on Linux Mint with a Geforce 770 and have forced antialiasing on, which might well be the culprit, but that seems to be necessary for me (things look REALLY bad without any AA, and in-game AA makes all sorts of weirdness happen). It's not a mod interaction effect, because I'm only running Scatterer and EVA Waypoints in my 1.0 save. That said, I've seen other Linux users' screenshots looking lovely. Any advice on how to make my set up work?

Hey guys, LOVE the look of scatterer but whenever I've tried it (on 0.90 and now 1.0) I run into the issue with jagged lines in the sky that a few other people have posted here. I'm running on Linux Mint with a Geforce 770 and have forced antialiasing on, which might well be the culprit, but that seems to be necessary for me (things look REALLY bad without any AA, and in-game AA makes all sorts of weirdness happen). It's not a mod interaction effect, because I'm only running Scatterer and EVA Waypoints in my 1.0 save. That said, I've seen other Linux users' screenshots looking lovely. Any advice on how to make my set up work?

Just for safety sake, I suggest seeing what happens when you run plain stock and scattered. I found a compatibility issue with Kerbcam that way :P

The jagged circular lines in the sky appear to be caused by this mod when it is run with openGL. I get it in both Windows and Linux when I have OpenGL enabled. I do not get them when I run without forcing openGL in windows. To do that it requires me to strip down the number of mods I have loaded to be able to run the game in Windows 32 bit. In Linux I tested on 1.0.2 with only Scatterer installed and the jagged circles occured. Removing the mod removed the jagged lines. That said, it appears KSP 1.0 in openGL has some of it's own issues....like some missing textures...in the "loading" dialog and I've seen it in the altitude dialog. I get those issues in KSP in both Windows and Linux.

My system details:

Dual Boot OS: Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate and Ubuntu 14.10 (propietary drivers)

GPU: 2x R9 290 4GB

RAM: 16GB of RAM

I run in Linux to be able to use the 64 bit version of KSP. The Windows version cannot handle all the mods I load into my KSP now that a bunch of them have been updated. Before 1.0 I was running a Linux install with 140+ mods. When I say I loaded only Scatterer I ran it on my "Base" install, which is the game copied from it's location in Steam (which I don't modify at all) to a Games directory I maintain. I keep a "Base" install so I can test things isolated from the rest of my mods. The only modification to it is I have CKAN added to it to manage mods I can add to it. The only mod loaded with CKAN for that test was Scatterer.

I'd really like to see this mod make it to a released status....it is a beautiful mod. I just can't run it yet with the number of other mods I like to run. I estimate, with mods added since 1.0 came out, that I would be over 150 mods if all my mods were updated. Right now without Scatterer, I'm running 75 mods according to CKAN.

Edited by thundergod97

The jagged circular lines in the sky appear to be caused by this mod when it is run with openGL. I get it in both Windows and Linux when I have OpenGL enabled. I do not get them when I run without forcing openGL in windows. To do that it requires me to strip down the number of mods I have loaded to be able to run the game in Windows 32 bit. In Linux I tested on 1.0.2 with only Scatterer installed and the jagged circles occured. Removing the mod removed the jagged lines. That said, it appears KSP 1.0 in openGL has some of it's own issues....like some missing textures...in the "loading" dialog and I've seen it in the altitude dialog. I get those issues in KSP in both Windows and Linux.

I can second this, if run in DX9 or DX11, no curved lines. OpenGL and the lines are there no matter what settings are changes in game or in the nvidia panel. Also the circles do move in relation to the sun.

Edited by Wyseman76

I can second this, if run in DX9 or DX11, no curved lines. OpenGL and the lines are there no matter what settings are changes in game or in the nvidia panel. Also the circles do move in relation to the sun.

Someone smarter than me can confirm this but: Linux uses OpenGL automatically, right? It's only Windows that uses Direct X. So, if the jagged lines are caused by OpenGL, is there no way to get it working smoothly in Linux?

Someone smarter than me can confirm this but: Linux uses OpenGL automatically, right? It's only Windows that uses Direct X. So, if the jagged lines are caused by OpenGL, is there no way to get it working smoothly in Linux?

It works in OpenGL without jagged lines if you disable anti-aliasing, I think.

Planetshine was the culprit. solved!

It seems that you didn't install PlanetShine properly, is it in the right folder? The settings should be located in "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PlanetShine\Config\Settings.cfg".

I have no issues using it with scatterer

Enough time to investigate the rings I was seeing under DX11

http://imgur.com/a/iWX3B

Not sure why, but the sizes (mesh/layer depth?) must be very slightly different DX9 vs DX11, setting the atmosphereGlobalScale variable in the settings to 999 fixes it.

them o

These artifacts are actually caused by the scattering tables sampling function, changing the global scale to 999 just pushes out of viewing zone. Is there a particular reason you're using dx11? If you're on windows might as well use dx9.

Awesome, Awesome mod! I'm running linux x64 and getting the jagged lines and a pink box in the right corner when loading certain screens, but the visuals are wonderful. If someone has a fix for the linux artifacts, please post.

Awesome, Awesome mod! I'm running linux x64 and getting the jagged lines and a pink box in the right corner when loading certain screens, but the visuals are wonderful. If someone has a fix for the linux artifacts, please post.

Same here tried with AF and AA forced off on drivers still have lines during the day that follow the sun.

Done a little testing with your latest version (which you had posted somewhere in here)

And these are my impressions:

1. Mountains stick out of the atmosphere like a sour thumb. While 1000 of 1000 looks exact right (like earth from space) .. I think that kerbals have a slight percental thicker one. 1003 (or 1004) of 1000 hides (almost) all of them. The only workaround I can think of is apply tricks (like render the atmsphere towards the horizon smaller or apply an extra layer to mountains)
  2. After setting Post processing depth to 1000 (instead of 150) I realized that in default it looks too soupy from space.
  3. I get that infamous "above ~25-30km everything fades to black" bug. But only if it is day and the planet in visible in the camera view. Even in space the background is black if the planet is visible but only on the day side. As less visible as the planet is the more background I can see on the day side. Same goes for night day border. As more I slide into darkness as more the background becomes visible.
    As debug I deactivated PS from the menu and nothing changed about the background. (I thought it maybe might be simulated overexposure)

D3002317809CF6E80264C8B4B68BDF1ABECBFE6A

edit anyway I love this mod...just wanted to give a little feedback.