[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

IMHO, report bugs is ok. But things like "Why is it so blue? You can't even see kerbin!" are a complete madness. Much more when you have all the tools to change everything.

It's not hard to understand that this type of criticism is completely irrelevant, unconstructive and doesn't help modders, or the forums. In fact is pretty irritating.

If you put your free time and your love in a project to enhance the game, the last thing that you expect to find are this type of destructive criticism.

Why people don't read the threads?

Why people don't even try to config his own game?

Why people don't try to support instead to leave useless complaints about mods that they get for free?

Probably Red Iron Crown is right when he talks about an "Eternal September" caused by the 1.0. But probably, precisely for that, threads like this needs much more "control and cleaning" in orden to get a rational discussion.

Again IMHO, in sticks like this, moderation should delete any unrelated or unpolite post.

In the past I've been reported by irrelevant things in this forum, like add a youtube video to a post. Why are allowing this type of procedures now??

Honestly, we don't often act on posts that haven't been reported, unless it is something especially egregious. If a post seems to be rude or off-topic, please hit the "Report Post" button and we'll deal with it.

That said, I follow this thread closely as I think it's one of the more promising VFX mods to emerge in some time (and it's gorgeous now, even in its WIP state) and would be happy to help out with keeping it on topic. Check your PMs when you get a chance please, blackrack.

I can't, but I apologize for the pain blackrack. Might I make the suggestion you take down the download and tease us with images if you want to show off your progress instead? That would probably be far more conducive and less stressful of a working environment. We all want to swoon, but at least it could cut down on the needless spam and pointless bug reports. Obviously taking down the sticky will help somewhat but in the long run it might be simpler to just put the lid back on. If you need testers you might consider asking a few people like proot and keep it out of the public discourse.

IMHO, report bugs is ok. But things like "Why is it so blue? You can't even see kerbin!" are a complete madness. Much more when you have all the tools to change everything.

It's not hard to understand that this type of criticism is completely irrelevant, unconstructive and doesn't help modders, or the forums. In fact is pretty irritating.

If you put your free time and your love in a project to enhance the game, the last thing that you expect to find are this type of destructive criticism.

Why people don't read the threads?

Why people don't even try to config his own game?

Why people don't try to support instead to leave useless complaints about mods that they get for free?

Probably Red Iron Crown is right when he talks about an "Eternal September" caused by the 1.0. But probably, precisely for that, threads like this needs much more "control and cleaning" in orden to get a rational discussion.

Again IMHO, in sticks like this, moderation should delete any unrelated or unpolite post.

In the past I've been reported by irrelevant things in this forum, like add a youtube video to a post. Why are allowing this type of procedures now??

Because the picture in the OP showed a blank blue Kerbin, I assumed that the mod would look like that too. I don't see how that was destructive criticism, I just wanted to know if that was supposed to be how it looks like. That being said, I probably should have included more detail in my post, because I do understand that short complaint posts never look good.

I do appreciate all of the time that modders put into their work, and apologize if my post was rude.

Edited by Laythe Dweller

I just want to add my support to blackrack. I would guess the majority of people that visit the thread recognize that it's WIP and simply enjoy the amazing work you've done so far, hopefully giving helpful observations when they arise. I'm sad that the vocal minority is so prominent here. I would love to see development continue on this mod, I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor from those screenshots. You've done some excellent work sir.

I can't, but I apologize for the pain blackrack. Might I make the suggestion you take down the download and tease us with images if you want to show off your progress instead? That would probably be far more conducive and less stressful of a working environment. We all want to swoon, but at least it could cut down on the needless spam and pointless bug reports. Obviously taking down the sticky will help somewhat but in the long run it might be simpler to just put the lid back on. If you need testers you might consider asking a few people like proot and keep it out of the public discourse.

Pull it off ckan and I bet half the stupid posts would cease.

All right, folks, let's not turn this thread into "How Scatterer should be managed". That's entirely up to blackrack and offtopic here, this thread is about the development of the mod. Please restrict the discussion to the mod's development.

Also, please try to remember that many of the lower quality bug reports are a somewhat misguided attempt to be helpful, there is no need to attack the posters who make them. Report the posts and do not respond to them.

rip atmospheric scattering this is my fav mod ;.; i have last download

wip have full all bugs is okay getting bugs

I like to think that the rumours about any kind of "death" of this mod are greatly exaggerated. :) But i am pretty sure its a problem of understanding the language (and maybe an age thing too considering your profile page).

So, here is my analysis:

- the mod is alive and working on it is in progress (also known as "WIP" - Work In Progress)

- if you want to test something cool thats NOT already safe to play with in games/careers that matter to you: fine

- if you dont want to encounter potentially gamebreaking bugs: do not use this mod

- if you want to help: be as precises as possible when reporting bugs

- think if its REALLY necessary that YOU report THIS bug NOW. Maybe someone else did this before? So:

- READ at least 10 pages back into the thread; maybe someone reported it already

- think again, then post. Maybe. Think again :)

- if you want to say this mod or the modder is cool: fine. Do it short, and without passive-agressively combining it with some "but" at the end, as in "This mod is GREAT! But when will there be a update (to fix XYZ)????"

- think again - maybe a new post by you in this WIP thread isnt needed for now. Just saying :)

Keep calm and leak memory!

Edited by smart013

blackrack dont kill the mod man its sooooo good, maybe moderation can just come up with terrible painful punishments for people who dont read the damn thread but seriously no one with half a brain expects such a big project to be perfect especially so early in dev. Be proud of what you've made, its really good, as anyone who has ever worked in IT can tell you users are idiots, best to reduce them to white noise.

I have removed a number of off-topic posts.

Before pressing the "Post Reply" button, please ask yourself "Is this post about the mod or the people posting in the thread?" If it is about the mod then press the button, if it is about people posting in the thread then please do not bother.

Although this thread seems to be a bit of a mess, due to the off-topic posting, this mod looks absolutely freaking stunning. It's glorious. I just have a few suggestions, and questions:

Suggestion: Auto-disable once in space. Bam, blue kerbin fixed! (If it hasn't already. Sorry if it has)

Question: Will OpenGL support ever come? I run Linux and am a sad panda.

Proot, I seriously can't wait to see your new pack along with scatterer. I just hope people back off of blackrack and let the man breathe. But between you two and rbray you three have really given new life to KSP,

thanks guys.

Exactly, it's a texturereplacer feature that Blackrack is not responsible for, it should not be in this thread.

I'm sorry if my post was misunderstood, I was not saying it wasn't TextureReplacer. I was simply stating that it's a bug that could originate from either, or the combination of both. So it should be looked into to check which one it was, and what was causing it. It probably is TR, but it's always good to show how someones' mod interacts with others' mods.

Where did this rumour of me giving up on the mod even originate from? Of course I'm not going to kill the mod, that'd be silly, but it'd definitely help if people could read the thread, or even in some cases try the mod before they start complaining about something they saw on a screenshot.

Where did this rumour of me giving up on the mod even originate from? Of course I'm not going to kill the mod, that'd be silly, but it'd definitely help if people could read the thread, or even in some cases try the mod before they start complaining about something they saw on a screenshot.

Thanks for all your work, I've been watching closely but not posting. Best of luck!

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Removed off-topic reaction video.

I think it was this sentence you posted a couple days ago: "Alright, that's it, remove the sticky, we're done here." Apparently it related to a post that was subsequently deleted, so the context was gone. Scared me too for a second.

Honestly, the work you guys (blackrack, rbray, Proot, shaw, and all the others involved in those efforts) do for making KSP insanely beautiful cannot be appreciated enough. It's also very nice to see how you all cooperate across your various mods to provide a consistent experience for all of us. I'm patiently waiting for things to be released for us to test and enjoy, and I sincerely hope that you all don't get too put off by all the hype and impatient people (and bluntly, people who don't know what "wip" means and how free software communities work). I'd rather the moderators rule with iron fists in your dev threads, or close the threads down until there is a release, than any of you getting frustrated and burning out because of unwarranted pressure put on you by some people.

Please take your time and keep enjoying what you do, and rest assured that there are many people like myself that are insanely grateful for everything you give to us, whenever it may come. Thank you!