[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Centered around the sun? I was getting the same problem with OpenGL. Switched back to DirectX for now. It is killing my memory now... I need to upgrade, this will allow extra 300mb for KSP, as a 32bit.

Centered around the sun? I was getting the same problem with OpenGL. Switched back to DirectX for now. It is killing my memory now... I need to upgrade, this will allow extra 300mb for KSP, as a 32bit.

Yeah, I'm running so many mods that the game doesn't stand a chance in DX9 mode. It's unfortunate the mod doesn't play well with DX11 or OpenGL, yet, but blackrack mentions in the OP that he'll try to make it more OpenGL and DX11 friendly once he's finished a lot of the core work of the mod.

@blackrack: It looks great so far and I love what you're doing. It really adds more realism to the atmosphere and makes it more immersive. I'm looking forward to seeing how this mod evolves over time.

I think that the scattering is too high, I can't even see the lands:

SjyrAYe.png

In the previous installation i didn't have such a problem, how can I solve it or reduce the scattering?

[EDIT]

I've noticed also this bug/problem:

CGhg9Rl.png

Edited by Carsaxy

http://i.imgur.com/SjyrAYe.png

In the previous installation i didn't have such a problem, how can I solve it or reduce the scattering?

That's a known issue, Carsaxy, remember that the mod is a work in progress. If you like you can download the configuration tool in the OP and run in DX11 mode to mess with the settings.

Yeah. It s clearly impossible to do. Or is it not ?

I think it's more that people think this kind of thing is impossible in unity. I used to think it was too, simply because I never saw anyone do anything graphically impressive in unity before I started really looking, so I assumed it was a very barebones engine. Almost anything is actually possible in unity.

http://i.imgur.com/SjyrAYe.png

[EDIT]

I've noticed also this bug/problem:

http://i.imgur.com/CGhg9Rl.png

That's a known issue, Carsaxy, remember that the mod is a work in progress. If you like you can download the configuration tool in the OP and run in DX11 mode to mess with the settings.

Messing with the settings in the config tool won't actually help in this case. This is caused by the sky shader drawing on top of the planet, which wasn't supposed to happen originally but it looks good enough if you dial the opacity down to 50%, unfortunately that version doesn't have separate settings for mapview or orbit. I have fixes for all these problems and the blending issues and will try to upload a fixed version soon.

Also, what is happening in the second screenshot? Sun drawing through the planet? Was your ship on the planet's surface or in orbit when that happened?

Edited by blackrack

I think it's more that people think this kind of thing is impossible in unity. I used to think it was too, simply because I never saw anyone do anything graphically impressive in unity before I started really looking, so I assumed it was a very barebones engine. Almost anything is actually possible in unity.

Yeah. Someone else said in the thread that those screen look like they comes from CryEngine. Unity can do the same level of visual than Cry or Unreal, you just need to code the shaders since the default one are not as impressive. U5 has far more impressive default tools.

What can limits Unity a bit for multi OS games is their OpenGL spec level, but it seems it will improve in 5.1 (Unity compute shader working in OpenGL \o/)

Edited by sarbian

Messing with the settings in the config tool won't actually help in this case. This is caused by the sky shader drawing on top of the planet, which wasn't supposed to happen originally but it looks good enough if you dial the opacity down to 50%, unfortunately that version doesn't have separate settings for mapview or orbit. I have fixes for all these problems and the blending issues and will try to upload a fixed version soon.

So I can try fix it changing some valutes in the setting file?

Also, what is happening in the second screenshot? Sun drawing through the planet?

Exactly.

Was your ship on the planet's surface or in orbit when that happened?

The ship is a plane flying at 7km above the surface, there are all the info a out the vessel in the MJ tab.

So I can try fix it changing some valutes in the setting file?

Exactly.

The ship is a plane flying at 7km above the surface, there are all the info a out the vessel in the MJ tab.

Alright, was the blue blob drawing on top of the planet on the other side when that happened?

Alt-f10/f11 brings up the settings GUI, change the alpha there.

In the map view, if I wobble around.. even slightly with my mouse, the earth is doubled (seems like the usual Kerbin and the scatter overlay aren't in the same position or something^^

Sadly no pics, but probably already known..

Also it kinda doesn't seem to work too perfectly with Astronomers Visual Enhancement v3 pack :S

Love the look of it tho!

In the map view, if I wobble around.. even slightly with my mouse, the earth is doubled (seems like the usual Kerbin and the scatter overlay aren't in the same position or something^^

Sadly no pics, but probably already known..

Also it kinda doesn't seem to work too perfectly with Astronomers Visual Enhancement v3 pack :S

Love the look of it tho!

Mentioned right in the OP under known issues.

Small advice on making atmosphere more transparent. Make the scattering anizotropic, i.e. the density is lower when view line is closer to vertical. I've seen many games doing this. MAy require some tweaking tho.

Also, the majority of scattering is due to water vapor, most of which is below 1km altitude. I know it from Physics of the Atmosphere course. So, I see that upper layers of your atmosphere scatter too much. This is especially noticeable when looking from orbit.

Edited by sashan

Alright, was the blue blob drawing on top of the planet on the other side when that happened?

Alt-f10/f11 brings up the settings GUI, change the alpha there.

Yes, the "blue blob etc..." was visibile all the time on the other side.

Tomorrow I'll try to change the settings.

Thanks

Another issue: with the mod installed the game crashes more often.

Yes, the "blue blob etc..." was visibile all the time on the other side.

Tomorrow I'll try to change the settings.

Thanks

Another issue: with the mod installed the game crashes more often.

Game crashing is all about game setup and craft size. I can play for hours with over 20 mods eve and AVP. Memory footprint is over 8GB (64x win 7 conversion) but as soon as I start messing with my 250+ part ships. KSP starts drooling all over itself. I wouldn't jump to concluding that any one mod causes the game to crash.

And what about this one ?

Is it in the realm of the feasible in KSP ? (please ! say yes ! say yes !)

It's possible but don't get your hopes up, it'll be a real pain to integrate and to replace the current terrain system with it. You could probably write a whole thesis on the work you need to do to integrate it in KSP.

It's possible but don't get your hopes up, it'll be a real pain to integrate and to replace the current terrain system with it. You could probably write a whole thesis on the work you need to do to integrate it in KSP.

Terrain in KSP is much more than just graphical. Those shadertoy examples, while cool, are often not terribly practical in games due to things like colliders, and intersection with existing geometry. I started goofing around with the water example, only to give-up when I realized that the surface would always look flat. (it doesn't modify surface geometry, so it can't actually go up/down)

In the terrain example, it is cool that it is procedurally generated, but what happens when you go to orbit? How do you map that to a texture that can be rendered on the surface?

The KSP terrain system is for the most part very well-done, though I wouldn't mind seeing the proland version implemented to replace it ;P

The only issue I see from a moding standpoint is that it can be really difficult to change the PQS system from what I've messed around with.

Agree. Terrains in KSP are very "base game" to modify them. And are not so bad. Maybe not too detailed, but beauty enough.

Did you imagine landings in sharpened terrains? The fallen ship nightmare. lol