[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I don't even see anything like that in my settings.cfg. You are talking about the actual KSP settings file right? Does the entire file get overwritten? Or does that line get appended/inserted somewhere? How does it manifest?

No that's in the code itself. It looks like the definition of the settings.cfg that is written. I guess it probably would have been helpful to show you exactly what is happening in terms of the config files, sorry about that!

Here's the default one that I get with the Scatterer release and is used when it's loaded up on first install:

forceOFFaniso = False

displayInterpolatedVariables = False

mapExposure = 0.12

mapAlphaGlobal = 1

rimBlend = 20

rimpower = 600

configPoints

{

Item

{

altitude = 1000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.06

postProcessExposure = 0.23

}

Item

{

altitude = 5000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.1

}

Item

{

altitude = 55000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.8

}

Item

{

altitude = 160000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.15

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 2.4

}

}

Here's my settings.cfg I want to use (only change is skyAlpha):

forceOFFaniso = False

mapExposure = 0.12

mapAlphaGlobal = 1

rimBlend = 20

rimpower = 600

configPoints

{

Item

{

altitude = 1000

skyAlpha = 0.75

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.06

}

Item

{

altitude = 5000

skyAlpha = 0.75

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.1

}

Item

{

altitude = 55000

skyAlpha = 0.75

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 0.8

}

Item

{

altitude = 160000

skyAlpha = 0.75

skyExposure = 0.15

postProcessAlpha = 0.78

postProcessDepth = 2.4

}

}

Here's the one that (I think) that List variable is defining and the code is inserting, or at any rate gets written to my Settings.cfg:

forceOFFaniso = False

mapExposure = 0.15

mapAlphaGlobal = 1

rimBlend = 20

rimpower = 600

configPoints

{

Item

{

altitude = 5000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.25

postProcessAlpha = 1

postProcessDepth = 0.4

}

Item

{

altitude = 15000

skyAlpha = 1

skyExposure = 0.15

postProcessAlpha = 1

postProcessDepth = 8

}

}

Edited by chrisv
clarity

Amazing! That water makes all the difference. What kind of performance impact is there?

Unfortunately, I had to uninstall the previous version of Scatterer from my KSP install because it was pushing me over my RAM limit. I look forward to future implementation, though!

Not sure about rescale mods because RSS seems to work fine. If you have any other mods, keep digging. Otherwise wait for a bit, I'm assuming this is related to the moire patterns and the "horizon break" issue and I might have a workaround up soon for these two.

Not sure what the problem is, just make another png file with your texture.

Tbh I have no idea why you guys are getting this problem now, I didn't even touch the dx9 shader or make any changes to the main plugin code except for adding a small delay function.

To better isolate the problem, try downloading the new version and replacing it's scatterer.dll with the one from two weeks ago. Then do the same but instead of the .dll file do it with .shader files, tell me which one fixes it.

I don't have any lying around now but have this instead. Note that I haven't done any additional work on the water and that it still has the same problems and isn't ready for release but far from it. Awesome plane (or bird) design by avera9eJoe

http://i.imgur.com/3ufu1pu.png

http://i.imgur.com/HWT1Gfe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CNF9Jjb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5gvri4b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mqUrEvC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N7w1xSS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/prXENAO.jpg

I really kinda want huge waves, like 10s of metres tall now, after seeing that.. They look gorgeous and very realistic, superb job.

First, love this mod :) Having a strange issue with the settings.cfg, though, where my config points keep getting reset/overwritten to 5000 and 15000. Looking [briefly] at your source, blackrack, it is this var (ln 193 in SkyNode.cs) that is being used somewhere to overwrite the settings.cfg file:

Any idea why scatterer would be overwriting the settings.cfg with that list? Didn't try to take the time to debug it myself yet, wanted to see if it was isolated to me first as I get the feeling it is.

No that's in the code itself. It looks like the definition of the settings.cfg that is written. I guess it probably would have been helpful to show you exactly what is happening in terms of the config files, sorry about that!

Here's the default one that I get with the Scatterer release and is used when it's loaded up on first install:

Here's my settings.cfg I want to use (only change is skyAlpha):

Here's the one that (I think) that List variable is defining and the code is inserting, or at any rate gets written to my Settings.cfg:

That's just variable initialization, that is done before the settings are loaded and shouldn't interfere with it.

Do the settings from the original file get loaded first or not? If not there maybe a file access issue. Look for issues in the log.

Amazing! That water makes all the difference. What kind of performance impact is there?

Unfortunately, I had to uninstall the previous version of Scatterer from my KSP install because it was pushing me over my RAM limit. I look forward to future implementation, though!

For any respectable medium-range GPU there shouldn't be any performance impact at all (there was none on my desktop 560 Ti) because KSP doesn't really use any GPU power.

On my laptop with a gt 740m (and an underpowered i3 ivy bridge @1.8ghz) it went from like 35 fps to 20fps.

If you have memory issues it's now safe to switch to OpenGL and save half the memory usage.

That's just variable initialization, that is done before the settings are loaded and shouldn't interfere with it.

Do the settings from the original file get loaded first or not? If not there maybe a file access issue. Look for issues in the log.

Thanks. Whatever is in settings.cfg when KSP starts is always loaded on the first launch of a vessel. It happens, inconsistently, when using Revert to Launch/VAB. I haven't seen a real pattern, but I'll try to run a session where I don't revert, and only use the Space Center button to get out of a flight.

But I guess I wanted to see if you knew offhand if it would be creating a Settings.cfg in the file system using those init values if accessing the existing one fails?

The screen shots only show Kerbin, does it apply to other planets?

To expand on that. No Scatterer does not "currently" support other planets but, Blackrack is working on supporting other planets eventually. There have been screenshots posted of other plants by multiple people with Scaterer effects applied to other planets like duna for example.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115408-WIP-Scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-%28v0-0175-23-08-2015%29-OpenGL-fixes?p=2100899&viewfull=1#post2100899

For any respectable medium-range GPU there shouldn't be any performance impact at all (there was none on my desktop 560 Ti) because KSP doesn't really use any GPU power.

On my laptop with a gt 740m (and an underpowered i3 ivy bridge @1.8ghz) it went from like 35 fps to 20fps.

If you have memory issues it's now safe to switch to OpenGL and save half the memory usage.

Unfortunately I have a gt 540m. So I guess that's that for me. It was respectable enough three and a half years ago, not so much these days.

This is a bit of a personal request, but if anyone has any comparison pics with the mod on/off, or otherwise really good screenshots with scatterer, could you post your albums here or send me a link by personal message?

Thanks. Whatever is in settings.cfg when KSP starts is always loaded on the first launch of a vessel. It happens, inconsistently, when using Revert to Launch/VAB. I haven't seen a real pattern, but I'll try to run a session where I don't revert, and only use the Space Center button to get out of a flight.

But I guess I wanted to see if you knew offhand if it would be creating a Settings.cfg in the file system using those init values if accessing the existing one fails?

If the existing one fails to read then yeah, the variables will take the init values, and saving happens automatically when you switch scenes so it overwrites your file.

blackjack will you be integrating the ocean work you did into Eve Overhaul or into your scatter mod?

With scatterer, it already needs much of the other parts of the mod in it's rendering.

Unfortunately I have a gt 540m. So I guess that's that for me. It was respectable enough three and a half years ago, not so much these days.

Actually I think disabling anti-aliasing gives a pretty good performance boost for the ocean. There maybe some other things also.

Edited by blackrack

This is a bit of a personal request, but if anyone has any comparison pics with the mod on/off, or otherwise really good screenshots with scatterer, could you post your albums here or send me a link by personal message?

Would you prefer it be only Scatterer vs stock? Or include other mods we use like EVE, AVP or Lens flares? Just so long as we include a list of what we have installed? I also have a video demonstrating a sunrise / sunset with Scatterer EVE, AVP and a Lens flare on my channel linked in my sig if that helps any. (I think I may also have posted it on this thread a while back)

I've not been using scatterer for a long time, so I cant really answer that. Also, yes. This is different than moire patterns, those happened to me when I was running with opengl or directX11.

Will try to upload a video now. Give me 10'

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here it is.

I am also having this issue, actually had it since tried scatterer for first time - main reason I still can't use this wonderful mod.

DX9, GeForce GTX 980M here.

If the existing one fails to read then yeah, the variables will take the init values, and saving happens automatically when you switch scenes so it overwrites your file.

Thanks! Think that points to my solution then.

No comparisons here but I have some decent shots of scatterer + EVE WIP here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

If interested I can do some comparison shots by toggling scatterer on and off, but I presume EVE WIP would screw up a true comparison to vanilla.

http://imgur.com/a/U7ACU

If interested I can do some comparison shots by toggling scatterer on and off, but I presume EVE WIP would screw up a true comparison to vanilla.

Is that only eve WIP and scatterer? Wow those look great! Think it's finally time for me to start messing with WIP instead of 7-4. I just haven't found a way to make AVP work with eve WIP.

Is that only eve WIP and scatterer? Wow those look great! Think it's finally time for me to start messing with WIP instead of 7-4. I just haven't found a way to make AVP work with eve WIP.

For the most part yeah  rbray and blackrack's work are both just really that impressive. But the sun flare and skybox are courtesy of Oinker from this post: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107471-1-0-4-TextureReplacer-2-4-8-%2813-8-2015%29?p=2002681&viewfull=1#post2002681 , and Distant Object and PlanetShine are in the mix there as well. I also use Reshade for some slight color and contrast enhancement, as well as providing SMAA (its basically performance free, www.reshade.me).

Sorry, which solution?

http://imgur.com/a/U7ACU

True, clouds are fine but some of the effects in wip-EVE completely cover up scatterer I guess, I would prefer if it was scatterer only or wip-eve without the sky effects in that case.

Would you prefer it be only Scatterer vs stock? Or include other mods we use like EVE, AVP or Lens flares? Just so long as we include a list of what we have installed? I also have a video demonstrating a sunrise / sunset with Scatterer EVE, AVP and a Lens flare on my channel linked in my sig if that helps any. (I think I may also have posted it on this thread a while back)

I'd rather just have scatterer + EVE clouds or otherwise really subtle mods if possible.

Does anyone know the mod of the double prop motor used in OP's screens?

Try asking BrutalRip, he took those screens.