[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@rbray89 This paper more or less describes your idea for adapting the godrays to the cloud shadows and for getting around that issue with the gaps, and also more or less my idea for additive blending and using backfaces and frontfaces: http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~uffe/volumetricshadows.pdf

5 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

I'm not going to be that guy......I'm not going to be that guy.....I'm not going to be that guy......

Damn it....

GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

It will be ready Soon (TM)

Edited by blackrack

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

@rbray89 This paper more or less describes your idea for adapting the godrays to the cloud shadows and for getting around that issue with the gaps, and also more or less my idea for additive blending and using backfaces and frontfaces: http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~uffe/volumetricshadows.pdf

It will be ready Soon (TM)

Very cool! I'll have to give this a read.

On 2/12/2016 at 3:27 PM, Joco223 said:

@Elthy @blackrack Ok, im back at my PC with R9 280X and these are the glitches im getting: http://imgur.com/zxS4ylP

On 2/13/2016 at 1:15 AM, lagcity613 said:

-I'm on 64-bit WINDOWS. Warning, take it with a grain of salt...- I'm getting the exact same effect with 64k, and only with 64k. GTX 970, 4gb vram.

Hey guys,

I have an Asus R9 280X as well and I have the same glitches. Any solution to this? I tried different settings in crimson, different settings in KSP, but nothing helped.

8 hours ago, Imasundaj said:

Hey guys,

I have an Asus R9 280X as well and I have the same glitches. Any solution to this? I tried different settings in crimson, different settings in KSP, but nothing helped.

Don't really know how to fix that one.

4 hours ago, Elthy said:

Do SRB exhaust clouds also cause such godrays?

That would be asking too much.

15 hours ago, skykooler said:

I did note that the ship itself seemed to be casting godrays in one of the webms. I suppose exhaust clouds would be more difficult, given their transparency.

Well, the transparency could be worked around. The issue is that they render as screen-facing quads (I think) which I can't work with, now if you'd render them as spheres that'd work but also make them kill the performance (probably).

1 hour ago, cobbman11 said:

No pre-release demands this time, @blackrack

I still have some things to figure out then I'll probably make a public release of some sort.

Edited by blackrack

These look amazing! Looking forward to seeing the upcoming version in action.

I've been having one strange issue with the appearance of Kerbin in the current version: there's this very wide halo of what I presume is supposed to be the glow of the atmosphere, but it's appearing well beyond the atmosphere.
screenshot650.png

This appears in both main view and map view (but not in the tracking station); when the focus is further away from Kerbin, the halo distorts oddly depending on what angle the camera is pointed at:

screenshot646.png

Any idea what's causing this or what settings I might try changing in the debug menu to fix it?

If it helps, I'm running KSP 1.0.5 on a Mac and also using EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine.

Edited by AbacusWizard

1 hour ago, AbacusWizard said:

These look amazing! Looking forward to seeing the upcoming version in action.

I've been having one strange issue with the appearance of Kerbin in the current version: there's this very wide halo of what I presume is supposed to be the glow of the atmosphere, but it's appearing well beyond the atmosphere.

This appears in both main view and map view (but not in the tracking station); when the focus is further away from Kerbin, the halo distorts oddly depending on what angle the camera is pointed at:

Any idea what's causing this or what settings I might try changing in the debug menu to fix it?

If it helps, I'm running KSP 1.0.5 on a Mac and also using EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and PlanetShine.

Which version of scatterer are you on?

Edited: try this file:  https://mega.nz/#!qEhECLYB!7lW3Uy1-HVzMz0Xf6RjHpQ9v46wvh4fBy3qIl8xEd2s

Edited by blackrack

New version is uploading. RSS seems to have pretty bad z-fighting so you might want to avoid this version if you're on RSS until I get it fixed. Godrays are disabled by default but can be enabled from the main menu. Eclipses (sky and orbit only), custom lens flare shader and terrain shadows are also included. Full changelog is in the OP.

Have fun.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

New version is uploading. RSS seems to have pretty bad z-fighting so you might want to avoid this version if you're on RSS until I get it fixed. Godrays are disabled by default but can be enabled from the main menu. Eclipses (sky and orbit only), custom lens flare shader and terrain shadows are also included. Full changelog is in the OP.

Have fun.

YES! I got home from a long day at work and this is just what I was hoping to see.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

Have fun.

Awesome! The water artifacts are gone for me as well (HD7950)!

I just want to say thank you Blackrack. I've been playing this game for 3 years off and on, lurked on the forums on a regular basis the whole time without ever posting anything. You've truly taken this game to a whole new level graphically. It would have been incredibly hard to imagine KSP ever looking this good when I first started. It's amazing what a proper atmosphere, oceans, shadows, flares, eclipses, and godrays have added to the experience. I think you've changed everyones expectations of what KSP can be and I hope Squad takes notice, as you deserve some serious credit for the work you've done adapting Proland to this. 

I can't wait to see the updates you continue to put out. Know that you have so many people grateful for the time you've put in.

- Andy

Edited by HK-47
imgur album got wonky

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@HK-47 That album is simply stunning, thanks for coming out of lurk mode to share it. :) 

Thanks @Red Iron Crown, my pleasure. :D 

2 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

@HK-47 what other mods are you using to get the cloud effects and the Milky Way Galaxy?

Here's my list if you want to take a look: Mod List