[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 06/04/2016 at 7:59 PM, blackrack said:

It shouldn't happen with godrays off, so post pics, maybe it's something else. Also, please don't quote the entirety of the OP.

Edited:

Hmm what's this? A clean, artifact-less horizon-line with no pixelated black line over it? You know it

Small note: If you use anti-aliasing there might still be some artifacts here and there due to the depth buffer not being anti-aliased, but the huge line that jitters around even when you don't do anything is gone.

Sorry about that, I posted from my phone and wasn't aware. I edited my post and removed the original post from the quote. I just tried again, looks like the god rays from the SRBs are gone when they are disabled, perhaps it was a previous version that I was having problems with *shrug*. But what I notice now is that when I move the camera around while my rocket is ascending to orbit, the entire land mass of Kerbin starts flickering. Unfortunately there's no way for me to take a screen shot of that because it happens so quickly and only when I move the camera. Could this be graphics card settings or in-game settings causing this?

I have some additional information about the issue. I turned off anti-aliasing in the game and in the nVidia control panel and it made no difference. I kept a close eye on exactly when it starts, the issue first appears at approximately 46,000 meters or so. It does not happen before it hits that altitude. It becomes less noticeable after about 120,000 meters and then completely absent after about 200,000 meters.

Edited by bigshow281

Just a note, not sure if your aware, but the lens flare ship color washing out thingy  where the ships kinda get brighter and stuff when a lens flare is over them doesnt work on fairings and on capsules where the interior view from the outside is enabled, along with flags on the side of parts. If your not sure what im talking about I can post screenshots.

Edited by nosirrbro

6 minutes ago, bigshow281 said:

I have some additional information about the issue. I turned off anti-aliasing in the game and in the nVidia control panel and it made no difference. I kept a close eye on exactly when it starts, the issue first appears at approximately 46,000 meters or so. It does not happen before it hits that altitude. It becomes less noticeable after about 120,000 meters and then completely absent after about 200,000 meters.

Is it this issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQKdKKJatW4

5 minutes ago, nosirrbro said:

Just a note, not sure if your aware, but the lens flare ship color washing out thingy  where the ships kinda get brighter and stuff when a lens flare is over them doesnt work on fairings and on capsules where the interior view from the outside is enabled, along with flags on the side of parts. If your not sure what im talking about I can post screenshots.

Ah yes, probably a renderQueue issue or the IVA camera rendering everything on top. I'm well aware of it just haven't given it a try yet.

Testing a modified version of EVE clouds to include scattering, doesn't seem to look as good as I hoped it would, no volumetrics at the moment:

Map view looks okay, more or less the same as the current method but with less "oranging" near the edges. Some weird black coloring though, might need to enable backface culling or figure out something else. Also some angles are weird.

Overall, this will need more testing and more tweaking.

11 hours ago, SketchBot said:

Some people have it, it pops up every now and then but I couldn't narrow it down or reproduce it.

Edited by blackrack

2 hours ago, SketchBot said:

Version of scatterer and KSP? If you are using 1.0.5, force dx11 (you can look up how to do that, super easy). If you are using 1.1 pre release, the latest version should fix it, as it did for me and a few others.

Also, mess around with settings on both your gpu and in scatterer settings

Edited by Arditan427

1 hour ago, blorgon said:

I've tried searching, so I'm sorry if there's somewhere obvious where I haven't found this yet: is there a repository of older versions? I'm not moving to 1.1 for a while because of some mods I can't play without that I'm not expecting to get updated for a while. Is there somewhere I can download the latest 1.0.5 compatible version of Scatterer?

If you go to Scatterer on SpaceDock and click "Changelog" you'll see download buttons for each previous version. I don't recall which one is the last one for v1.0 but presumably 0.0235 because 0.024 states "1.1 compatability" as its first change.

Hello, from what I read the pixelated horizon issue should be fixed but it's not for me at least.

Details:

• KSP 1.1pre 64bit
  • Scatterer 0.0242
  • EVE KSP pre-release (does not affect if I remove this mod)
  • Win 7 64-bit, Radeon HD7800-series, Inter Core 2 Duo 8400

I've tried changing AA settings, render quality, disabling ocean effects and god rays but the problem doesn't go away. Any ideas, anyone?

For me, beside my video card struggle to work (witch is normal is old one 650 gtx), all is fine, there are some pixelated horizon, very very small & they are seen only if i look specific to them but let say they are less now with new CompiledAtmosphericScatter file
I use Eve (SVE UH) + Scatter + Distant Object + Planet Shine + Ambient Light Adjustment

If you want i can start a twich stream for a live test but i think all is fine & you better get feedback from someone with at list 750, 950 gpu version
Salut

19 minutes ago, Blacks said:

For me, beside my video card struggle to work (witch is normal is old one 650 gtx), all is fine, there are some pixelated horizon, very very small & they are seen only if i look specific to them but let say they are less now with new CompiledAtmosphericScatter file
I use Eve (SVE UH) + Scatter + Distant Object + Planet Shine + Ambient Light Adjustment

If you want i can start a twich stream for a live test but i think all is fine & you better get feedback from someone with at list 750, 950 gpu version
Salut

It's fine, quick question, do you have anti-aliasing on?

yup i think you are right AA off they are gone or you need to have eagle eye to see them :D:D:D  but i prefer have AA active special single place were they appear is horizon + water & only if i am looking specific to them, in my opinion cloud shadow & fade transition between specific altitude value it brake immersion but i know rbray it work to tune better if i remember correctly from last his post :) but with patience i bet all it will be fine & nice :)

How does this look?

The difference isn't that big but I'm quite happy about sunrises/sunsets looking less like this https://i.imgur.com/v0bjlz2.jpg and more like this http://i.imgur.com/m9VFC35.jpg the colors are more consistent.

Also, here it might look like the clouds are getting some kind of volumetric lighting http://i.imgur.com/S8t9AxB.jpg but all it is the sky being kind of overlaid on top http://i.imgur.com/DPaB5ny.jpg it looked nice though so there might be something there.

19 minutes ago, Ice30 said:

Does anyone have any scatterer configs for other atmospheric planets and moons in RVE such as Jupiter, Titan etc? If not is it possible to create one somehow?

You can create configs with the config tool in the OP + playing with the config files and the UI. Bit of a warning: It's not a 5-minute process and getting good results will lots of tweaking.

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

How does this look?

The difference isn't that big but I'm quite happy about sunrises/sunsets looking less like this https://i.imgur.com/v0bjlz2.jpg and more like this 

Also, here it might look like the clouds are getting some kind of volumetric lighting http://i.imgur.com/S8t9AxB.jpg but all it is the sky being kind of overlaid on top http://i.imgur.com/DPaB5ny.jpg it looked nice though so there might be something there.

You can create configs with the config tool in the OP + playing with the config files and the UI. Bit of a warning: It's not a 5-minute process and getting good results will lots of tweaking.

Gorgeous!!