[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

On 7/7/2016 at 8:45 PM, blackrack said:

Well EVE already does clouds, so why reinvent the wheel?

However I thought if integrating some atmosphere-related effects with EVE:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip112-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v00246-08052016-fixed-terrain-shadows/&page=163#comment-2503840

I also have something else in my mind but it's far away in the future.

'Cause EVE screwed up my the game :\

Eve become a pink light bulb and Duna have a big black Dot (it was the shadow of Jilly) but it looks terrible, as you see.
Also EVE add city lights which have absolutely no sense, 'cause on Kerbin there aren't cities at all !.

2 minutes ago, MaximilianPs said:

Eve become a pink light bulb and Duna have a big black Dot (it was the shadow of Jilly) but it looks terrible, as you see.
Also EVE add city lights which have absolutely no sense, 'cause on Kerbin there aren't cities at all !.

You have two options here. Either you use EVE's celestial body shadow function OR  scatterer's, you can disable the other. You can also delete the city lights folder from BoulderCo and not need to  worry about it anymore. This will not break your game.

So as no one has issues in particular magnitude with EVE's clouds we should probably stick to scatterer's original meaning and look for EVE support in the correct thread if you're still not content / having issues. But I'd guess scatterer won't implement clouds in the near future given EVE / scatterer is fine for almost everyone :)

1 minute ago, MaximilianPs said:

EVE did not screw up your game. Eve(the planet) is a pink bulb due to scatterer. which I fixed in the new SVE found here

EVE adds city textures, so in a way,there are cities on Kerbin, so the lights do make sense. It also adds immense amount of immersion to the game. sorry you don't like it. just delete the city lights plugin and everything related to city lights to get rid of them. you can find it in
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement/plugins

so i assume you use scatterer and you may prefer its eclipse, to delete EVE's eclipse's, delete the CelestiaShadows.dll in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement/plugins

42 minutes ago, MaximilianPs said:

Besides the fact that EVE != scatterer, where do you think the Kerbals are living if there are no cities supposed to be? EVE/SVE are adding Cities to Kerbin where those green follows live, and they even have lights they can turn on at night.
Ever seen Earth from space by night? Looking like what you get with EVE/SVE, actually Earth has much more lights than both mods dare to add :P

Picture from the ISS at night:
626033main_iss030e078095_full.jpg

Edited by Tekener

9 hours ago, Tekener said:

Besides the fact that EVE != scatterer, where do you think the Kerbals are living if there are no cities supposed to be? EVE/SVE are adding Cities to Kerbin where those green follows live, and they even have lights they can turn on at night.
Ever seen Earth from space by night? Looking like what you get with EVE/SVE, actually Earth has much more lights than both mods dare to add :P

Picture from the ISS at night:

Ok and where are those big cities in Kerbin ? :sticktongue:

10 hours ago, Berlin said:

EVE did not screw up your game. Eve(the planet) is a pink bulb due to scatterer. which I fixed in the new SVE found here

EVE adds city textures, so in a way,there are cities on Kerbin, so the lights do make sense. It also adds immense amount of immersion to the game. sorry you don't like it. just delete the city lights plugin and everything related to city lights to get rid of them. you can find it in
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement/plugins

so i assume you use scatterer and you may prefer its eclipse, to delete EVE's eclipse's, delete the CelestiaShadows.dll in EnvironmentalVisualEnhancement/plugins

I said EVE 'cause when I removed it all problems gone fixed, but I really like the atmospheric effect, and I really miss the clouds. Now when my rocket take off and there are no clouds at all I feel like the game is missing something... 

Anyway thank so much @Berlin for your mod, do not misunderstand me, I really like EVE but I love Scattering too so I'm just trying to find a way to make it working together.  SO I'll remove CelestiaShadow.dll (I hope that will fix the terrible shadow that Jilly cast on Duna) and Citylight. 

Stay Tuned, I'll made more disaster for sure :D

Edited by MaximilianPs

9 hours ago, MaximilianPs said:

Ok and where are those big cities in Kerbin ? :sticktongue:

These cities are not in but on Kerbin, and they are clearly visible by day and night. Also EVE and scatterer are meant to work fine together and they really do, I guess most of us run both parallel anyway - without issues. Either you're using outdated mods or have outdated mod parts still sitting somewhere in your KSP directory, or your KSP installation is screwed and you should delete it completly (not the save games) and reinstall from scratch. 

If EVE and scatterer are not working together for you and you don't see these cities by day, then there is something wrong on your side, as for all others this is working just fine. These screenshots are done from KSP 1.1.3 running with scatterer and EVE together. If this is not what you see, then go and reinstall KSP and/or your graphic card drivers - but do not blame the mods and the authors.

EVE_cities_day.jpg

EVE_cities_dusk.jpg

EVE_cities_night.jpg

Edited by Tekener

22 hours ago, Tekener said:

EVE != scatterer

Having started learning Python in the past few weeks, I am chuffed to the nines to know what != now means in your post. Off topic - but I was about to burst. 

Repped (or liked, whatever it is now), btw.

1 hour ago, TicTacToe! said:

Having started learning Python in the past few weeks, I am chuffed to the nines to know what != now means in your post. Off topic - but I was about to burst. 

Repped (or liked, whatever it is now), btw.

It means 'does not equal'

== means equals

!= means does not equal

(1 != 0) would evaluate to true

Is there any chance of separating the wave settings into near waves and far waves?

I would love to have these nice looking waves that I whipped up with your settings: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722176136 but from any large height they just look crap, as there is no transition back to the more flat, shiny reflection look that is default (which I like a lot as it looks very nice from LKO/assent).

Basically it would be awesome to have these waves appear when you are close to the water, but the default/different ones when higher up, to avoid having massive ugly white blurs instead of the nice high alt sun reflections that come out of the box.

Picture example of what I mean below, perhaps there is a way around it already that I don't know of.

Spoiler

klJqQLk.jpg

Edited by Liarra Sniffles
Can you even name spoilers?

I am having so many issues for some reason. I am on 1.1.3 and no mod that I install including scatterer and eve will work. Scatterer's menu will pop up but thats it. I just don't understand and I need help. No other place that I have gone to will give me help. please.

This is a link of a screenshot with my game at the main menu with both eve and scatterer installed

http://imgur.com/EmlR0yz

18 minutes ago, pickles92 said:

I am having so many issues for some reason. I am on 1.1.3 and no mod that I install including scatterer and eve will work. Scatterer's menu will pop up but thats it. I just don't understand and I need help. No other place that I have gone to will give me help. please.

This is a link of a screenshot with my game at the main menu with both eve and scatterer installed

http://imgur.com/EmlR0yz

Does it work in game, though? About half the time I get no clouds/corrupted clouds at the main menu but it works fine in game.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Does it work in game, though? About half the time I get no clouds/corrupted clouds at the main menu but it works fine in game.

No, It does not. No clouds, no fancy water. Just default ksp. Its worth mentioning that during the loading screen I only see it loading the BuilderCo folder from eve, but nothing else other than squad

Here is a screen shot of in game

http://imgur.com/7h8HrVm

12 minutes ago, pickles92 said:

No, It does not. No clouds, no fancy water. Just default ksp. Its worth mentioning that during the loading screen I only see it loading the BuilderCo folder from eve, but nothing else other than squad

Here is a screen shot of in game

http://imgur.com/7h8HrVm

Scatterer seems to be working, the mountains in the back are foggy as scatterer is supossed to show them. The real ocean water hoewever should be there ...? 

Since the clouds are only coming from EVE that's not an issue of scatterer. Maybe you didn't installed both EVE components ("EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements" and "BoulderCo")?

Edited by Tekener

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not sure about the ocean shaders or EVE, but it does look like Scatterer is active in that screenshot.

2 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Scatterer seems to be working, the mountains in the back are foggy as scatterer is supossed to show them. The real ocean water hoewever should be there ...? 

Since the clouds are only coming from EVE that's not an issue of scatterer. Maybe you didn't installed both EVE components ("EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements" and "BoulderCo")?

It seems as though I'm completely unfamiliar with scatterer. I'm sorry. I'm off to the EVE thread and see if I can get help there. I have both components installed, but I can only see BoulderCo being loaded in the beginning.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:23 AM, LaytheDragon said:

There is no underwater haze visible when Scatterer is enabled (this is with the stock water/Scatterer's water texture disabled for performance purposes). The third screenshot in the above album I had posted was depicting the submarine underwater (it could also fly, so you may have gotten confused). As I suspected, it was Scatterer causing the issue, though it is a very minor problem that I can live with (I would rather have it not delay the planetshine feature if you have little modding time). Here is a comparison album with and without Scatterer:

(Embedded on imgur version:) http://imgur.com/a/9rn7F/embed#0

Just chirping up to say that I experience this too, and would love to see a fix/workaround for it. Obviously this is low priority since anything underwater is a not a main feature of scatterer, but even the stock haze added would be massively appreciated.

15 hours ago, ninjaisfast said:

Just chirping up to say that I experience this too, and would love to see a fix/workaround for it. Obviously this is low priority since anything underwater is a not a main feature of scatterer, but even the stock haze added would be massively appreciated.

Hopefully it comes in the 1.1.3 bugfix or the PlanetShine update for Scatterer (1.1.3 improved the underwater shader, one of the versions of 1.1. did, and this probably causes the problem with something outdated in Scatterer, as far as I can tell).

Edited by LaytheDragon

Hello @blackrack! I've just checked source code on github and couldnt find the older version of scatterer (i need 0.0235 for 1.0.5 ksp) where can I find it? I just want to add "remove ambient light option" to my 1.0.5 setup. If you can help me I will so much happy and do anything for you! Of course if you have not time for this please send me old source code and some instructions would be awesome. Thank you!

So this thread seems to be getting a lot more attention than usual lately, I'm guessing everyone is enjoying their summer vacation you guys have it good

12 hours ago, KeineLust said:

Hello @blackrack! I've just checked source code on github and couldnt find the older version of scatterer (i need 0.0235 for 1.0.5 ksp) where can I find it? I just want to add "remove ambient light option" to my 1.0.5 setup. If you can help me I will so much happy and do anything for you! Of course if you have not time for this please send me old source code and some instructions would be awesome. Thank you!

Just go further back in the commits until you find the version you want, with the features you want. You can use the release date of 0.0235 to find the approximate commit.

For the remove ambient light feature, check out this diff:

https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/commit/e7a4d367d33ded4951192c2c9a6bf3a58e7dccd8

Basically copy everything that says "disableAmbientLight" into the code of whatever old version you want, ignore the parts with "ignoreRenderTypeTags".

On 7/11/2016 at 7:29 AM, Liarra Sniffles said:

Is there any chance of separating the wave settings into near waves and far waves?

I would love to have these nice looking waves that I whipped up with your settings: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722176136 but from any large height they just look crap, as there is no transition back to the more flat, shiny reflection look that is default (which I like a lot as it looks very nice from LKO/assent).

Basically it would be awesome to have these waves appear when you are close to the water, but the default/different ones when higher up, to avoid having massive ugly white blurs instead of the nice high alt sun reflections that come out of the box.

Picture example of what I mean below, perhaps there is a way around it already that I don't know of.

Reveal hidden contents

klJqQLk.jpg

Well tbh it's realistic, it's what a real ocean looks like from a plane on a windy day. Anyway, transitioning it back to the stock reflection with height is feasible, I expect it will come with a small performance hit for technical reasons, but It won't be high on my priority list as there more important things to do first.

On 7/7/2016 at 9:13 PM, sDaZe said:

LOL. 

Take your time man. Hows the job going? 

It's good, the job is going great and I've recently moved into an apartment of my own, things are a bit tough at the moment financially but I'm basically at the end of my "transitional phase" and by the beginning of next month everything should have worked out and I should even have more free time (to dedicate to scatterer perhaps :P ). Thanks for asking.

Edited by blackrack

I looked around in the scatterer config files and the ingame settings and couldn't seem to find it, so I'll ask here: is there any way to change the load distance for scatterer? Specifically, when using RVE, the scatterer effects don't load past about 10^8 meters- which means that the atmosphere of Earth appears nonexistent when at or near the Moon, which looks kinda ugly. Is there an easy way to change that load distance?

45 minutes ago, MarsMan1138 said:

I get a black outline of Kerbin where the atmosphere glow should be. It's only on the title screen so it's not a huge problem but it confuses me

You need to update to the latest version of Kopernicus