[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I am having a problem with scatterer when around the orbit of Kerbin. When my distance reaches after 120kms all I get is a blue-ball with zero features on it.

I removed every other visual mod to pinpoint the cause of this, as it seems, scatterer is the core of it.

Yes, I did uncheck "draw atmo on top of EVE clouds", no dice, problem persists. I found some people are having the exact same problem, in fact, let me just copy one of their screenshots to show you what I mean in more detail;

The problem is NOT the scatterer, but the modified config file by the SVE. Stock Visual Enhancement has its own config to integrate itself with the scatterer, as it turns out, they did a huge mess of a job in doing so. Stock scatterer config files fixes it all up.

http://i.imgur.com/KiBjs5h.png

Edited by VaeVictus
Update on the issue

1 hour ago, VaeVictus said:

I am having a problem with scatterer when around the orbit of Kerbin. When my distance reaches after 120kms all I get is a blue-ball with zero features on it.

I removed every other visual mod to pinpoint the cause of this, as it seems, scatterer is the core of it.

Yes, I did uncheck "draw atmo on top of EVE clouds", no dice, problem persists. I found some people are having the exact same problem, in fact, let me just copy one of their screenshots to show you what I mean in more detail;

The problem is NOT the scatterer, but the modified config file by the SVE. Stock Visual Enhancement has its own config to integrate itself with the scatterer, as it turns out, they did a huge mess of a job in doing so. Stock scatterer config files fixes it all up.

http://i.imgur.com/KiBjs5h.png

yes this is caused by something i did in the in the cfg. it only happens when you dont have eclipses toggled on. If you want to call it a huge mess, thats fine, but its just one value that needs to be changed lol so i would relax a little. i fixed the issue and ill upload later today

Edited by Galileo

Happy to post a log file as required, but thought I'd ask first about the symptom and see if it resonates with anybody. 

Using the latest scatterer (including the new dll posted a couple of pages back) and the most up-to-date EVE, including the new textures. Those are my only two mods installed. 

In my console I'm continually getting the message "Exception: MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found" in the console (so much so I can't actually see anything else in the console but this).  When playing, toggling between the map view and the regular view in-game more than once will eventually strip away the scatterer effects.  I didn't see that issue posted in either EVE or scatterer's known issues, and my apologies if its already been reported and resolved somewhere.  Any thoughts people might have are welcome, otherwise happy to follow-up with any info needed to help troubleshoot.   -TIA

33 minutes ago, kmb1611 said:

Happy to post a log file as required, but thought I'd ask first about the symptom and see if it resonates with anybody. 

Using the latest scatterer (including the new dll posted a couple of pages back) and the most up-to-date EVE, including the new textures. Those are my only two mods installed. 

In my console I'm continually getting the message "Exception: MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found" in the console (so much so I can't actually see anything else in the console but this).  When playing, toggling between the map view and the regular view in-game more than once will eventually strip away the scatterer effects.  I didn't see that issue posted in either EVE or scatterer's known issues, and my apologies if its already been reported and resolved somewhere.  Any thoughts people might have are welcome, otherwise happy to follow-up with any info needed to help troubleshoot.   -TIA

definitely need logs

20 minutes ago, Galileo said:

definitely need logs

Realizing its probably EVE related, though tied to the clouds maybe?   Anyway, that's the message I get repeatedly in the console... 

Starting at line 2602 of the log, bolding is mine: 

[LOG 17:34:27.454] EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Apply (System.String body, Atmosphere.CloudsMaterial cloudsMaterial, Atmosphere.Clouds2D layer2D, Atmosphere.CloudsVolume layerVolume, Single altitude, Vector3d speed, Vector3d detailSpeed, Vector3 offset, Matrix4x4 rotationAxis, Boolean killBodyRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Better to just post in the EVE 1.2 thread? (sorry)  Oddly, don't think it was happening until scatterer was installed, but alas, the proof is in the pudding...

37 minutes ago, kmb1611 said:

Realizing its probably EVE related, though tied to the clouds maybe?   Anyway, that's the message I get repeatedly in the console... 

Starting at line 2602 of the log, bolding is mine: 

[LOG 17:34:27.454] EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.MissingFieldException: Field '.MapView.MapIsEnabled' not found.
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Apply (System.String body, Atmosphere.CloudsMaterial cloudsMaterial, Atmosphere.Clouds2D layer2D, Atmosphere.CloudsVolume layerVolume, Single altitude, Vector3d speed, Vector3d detailSpeed, Vector3 offset, Matrix4x4 rotationAxis, Boolean killBodyRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Better to just post in the EVE 1.2 thread? (sorry)  Oddly, don't think it was happening until scatterer was installed, but alas, the proof is in the pudding...

I actually need to see your output log to get a better idea.  Post it on the eve thread though 

Edited by Galileo

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I actually need to see your output log to get a better idea.  Post it on the eve thread though 

Happy to, and will reconvene there. 

Confession: Sorry, not sure how to get to the output log versus the one I linked to above... is there a config option for it? 

5 minutes ago, kmb1611 said:

Happy to, and will reconvene there. 

Confession: Sorry, not sure how to get to the output log versus the one I linked to above... is there a config option for it? 

\KSP_x64_Data\output.log.txt

On 11.11.2016 at 10:25 PM, Galileo said:

yes this is caused by something i did in the in the cfg. it only happens when you dont have eclipses toggled on. If you want to call it a huge mess, thats fine, but its just one value that needs to be changed lol so i would relax a little. i fixed the issue and ill upload later today

Praise the sun! \o/

You are considering it in a technical perspective, sure it could very well be just one simple value for those who are able to spot and fix it... But for the user (that would be me) having Kerbin, the planet where MOST of the game's visuals take place early and even later on in the game, completely turned blue after it hits the 125k-ish mark without any features what-so-ever is a huge mess mate.. If it were on Duna I'd say, meh, I'm sure they'll fix it, or perhaps on Eve, or Jool, Laythe, I wouldn't even bother... But Kerbin mate... To miss out a big mistake on Kerbin.. It is a huge mess for the users isn't it?

Well, I later learned that I could just turn on the eclipses, which I did... But not before I had to spent hours trying to figure out what was causing it and fixing it. So no thanks, relaxation comes when it is fixed, not when it occurs.

Edited by VaeVictus
Datt grammar.

i always predict this mod dream i had is like small room showing me Kerbal swimming on waving ocean with atmosphere scattering

months later before it released its also year ago

i can still remember dreams all them

Edited by tkw

On 11/12/2016 at 2:33 PM, VaeVictus said:

Praise the sun! \o/

You are considering it in a technical perspective, sure it could very well be just one simple value for those who are able to spot and fix it... But for the user (that would be me) having Kerbin, the planet where MOST of the game's visuals take place early and even later on in the game, completely turned blue after it hits the 125k-ish mark without any features what-so-ever is a huge mess mate.. If it were on Duna I'd say, meh, I'm sure they'll fix it, or perhaps on Eve, or Jool, Laythe, I wouldn't even bother... But Kerbin mate... To miss out a big mistake on Kerbin.. It is a huge mess for the users isn't it?

Well, I later learned that I could just turn on the eclipses, which I did... But not before I had to spent hours trying to figure out what was causing it and fixing it. So no thanks, relaxation comes when it is fixed, not when it occurs.

Well,  you should have came to the SVE thread and asked.  I'm usually pretty quick about getting fixes out. You coming here and saying I made a huge mess of the cfgs is an exaggeration and a bit hysterical. I develop SVE in my spare time and often times it's not perfect but I pride myself on getting fixes out quickly when they are brought to my attention. I am but one person, with kids and a real job. I make mistakes and I do this for free. The reason I overlooked it is because I test the mod the way it is intended to be played.  That is with eclipses on.  Again,  I am one person and do all the testing myself so it's easy to overlook a minor thing like a value in the cfg. I hope the updated version is to your liking

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

Well,  you should have came to the SVE thread and asked.  I'm usually pretty quick about getting fixes out. You coming here and saying I made a huge mess of the cfgs is an exaggeration and a bit hysterical. I develop SVE in my spare time and often times it's not perfect but I pride myself on getting fixes out quickly when they are brought to my attention. I am but one person, with kids and a real job. I make mistakes and I do this for free. The reason I overlooked it is because I test the mod the way it is intended to be played.  That is with eclipses on.  Again,  I am one person and do all the testing myself so it's easy to overlook a minor thing like a value in the cfg. I hope the updated version is to your liking

Oh no, by no means take offense in the aggression-like attitude of mine. I am thoroughly in appreciation and admiration towards you and your work, god knows, my gratitude is sincere. The frustration comes from literally spending hours to fix this and blatantly blaming the scatterer itself rather than the modified config file. I wholeheartedly apologize for the word "huge". Imagine that after searching for the TV remote for a long time and blaming your wife for having put it in an irrelevant place, you realize it was in your hand all along!.. The hand being the modified config file of the SVE for the scatterer in this case of course... Still, I do have to admit that I was slightly demotivated to see it took 11 days for an updated version to come out. "Marjorim!" posted the very same issue on November 3rd, also believed it was an error on the scatterer's part, so I read the topic over and over and over again to see if there was an answer on it... There wasn't... I searched even more, found another post on July 5 (Yes... July, can you believe it?) regarding the exact same problem, and again, believing it was because of the scatterer itself. Naturally, at that point I had little doubt it was the scatterer causing all this problem. Hours passed and I found out that it was actually SVE config file.. So I went "FFFFFUUUUUUUU". Hence the word "huge" was ushered. On a final note, I wish I could download your newest configuration for SVE, but I already edited some stuff to my personal liking and now I am a bit too lazy to go over those again. I will read your changelog later to decide whether I can bother all the edits and whatnot.

Please, do keep up the good work! A game would be very shallow without the mods in these days of 21st century, especially since the modders don't get the appreciation they quite deserve...

15 minutes ago, blackrack said:

So, apart from the issues that @Proot reported, does anyone else have issues with the cloud integration?

@Galileo do you still have the same issues?

I can get the cloud color to work on the surface only after opening the EVE GUI and hitting apply and making a scene change but it's not persistent.  I also don't get the color on the 2d layers while in scaled space. (I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong though.)   

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I can get the cloud color to work on the surface only after opening the EVE GUI and hitting apply and making a scene change but it's not persistent.  I also don't get the color on the 2d layers while in scaled space. (I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong though.)   

The scaled space thing is normal for now, I will fix it later. You actually get the cloud color after hitting apply? Do they change color with sunset or just the default cloud colors? ALso is this with SVE or your planet pack?

36 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The scaled space thing is normal for now, I will fix it later. You actually get the cloud color after hitting apply? Do they change color with sunset or just the default cloud colors? ALso is this with SVE or your planet pack?

I do get the color but it takes some work. 

When I first start the game,  the 2d clouds are white but still transparent with what looks like noise or stars visible through them.  

Hitting apply in the EVE GUI make them opaque again but turns the volumetric clouds black.  

A scene change fixes that.  

After all that is done the clouds look great and change colors with the sunset

And this is with both the planet pack and SVE

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I do get the color but it takes some work. 

When I first start the game,  the 2d clouds are white but still transparent with what looks like noise or stars visible through them.  

Hitting apply in the EVE GUI make them opaque again but turns the volumetric clouds black.  

A scene change fixes that.  

After all that is done the clouds look great and change colors with the sunset

And this is with both the planet pack and SVE

Ok got it, thanks.

I've been trying to install scatterer a few times now, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried installing on vanilla ksp, with ckan and without ckan, but it still doesn't work. When i run the game it does nothing, everything is as it was before installing, only the scatterer menu shows up. The log file says something about [Game Object '<null>' is missing! ] at some point but I don't know if that is relevant. I don't know how to post the log file here.

Please help!!

Edited by Tinucci

1 hour ago, Tinucci said:

I've been trying to install scatterer a few times now, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried installing on vanilla ksp, with ckan and without ckan, but it still doesn't work. When i run the game it does nothing, everything is as it was before installing, only the scatterer menu shows up. The log file says something about [Game Object '<null>' is missing! ] at some point but I don't know if that is relevant. I don't know how to post the log file here.

Please help!!

need a log and maybe a picture of your gamedata/scatterer folder

Edited by Galileo