[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

7 hours ago, blackrack said:

Anything weird in the log? Are errors being spammed? In the last version, you can set the body that acts as the sun separately for each planet.

I'll dig through the logfiles. I tried debugging by only setting the sunflares and not setting any planet settings at all, but my efforts broke the plugin :P

I'll grab a new Scatterer.dll and start experimenting, I'll let you know when I know more.

The thing could be however that, like stock KSP, Scatterer has to keep switching to either star for the light calculations. I might as well take a look at that new update, though I have been hesitating to use it seeing all the chaos it brought with it, potentially having to go over all of my EVE work sounded a bit daunting to me, but I'll check it out regardless.

Speaking of which, are there any changes I need to make to my EVE code for the two to be compatible? Like, any specific parameters that the config must have?

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I'll dig through the logfiles. I tried debugging by only setting the sunflares and not setting any planet settings at all, but my efforts broke the plugin :P

I'll grab a new Scatterer.dll and start experimenting, I'll let you know when I know more.

The thing could be however that, like stock KSP, Scatterer has to keep switching to either star for the light calculations. I might as well take a look at that new update, though I have been hesitating to use it seeing all the chaos it brought with it, potentially having to go over all of my EVE work sounded a bit daunting to me, but I'll check it out regardless.

Speaking of which, are there any changes I need to make to my EVE code for the two to be compatible? Like, any specific parameters that the config must have?

Only the main sun thing. Btw scatterer doesn't switch between different suns and will stay locked onto one sun while thr planets orbits. This will result in the sky and ground lighting going in different directions.

@blackrack The new scatterer causes problems with aero fx. I have a screenshot for you to illustrate the problem:

PPRnmmx.jpg

As you can see in the newest scatterer there is WAY to much aero fx all over the plane, it is also uneven and very messy which becomes very apparent when you lower the quality of the fx.

P.S. I actually wanted to use a pure scatterer version but I only had the SVE one lying around that is compatible with 1.2.2. But the newest version of SVE has that problem with aero fx as well so it must be scatterers doing.

2 hours ago, Flashblade said:

@blackrack The new scatterer causes problems with aero fx. I have a screenshot for you to illustrate the problem:

PPRnmmx.jpg

As you can see in the newest scatterer there is WAY to much aero fx all over the plane, it is also uneven and very messy which becomes very apparent when you lower the quality of the fx.

P.S. I actually wanted to use a pure scatterer version but I only had the SVE one lying around that is compatible with 1.2.2. But the newest version of SVE has that problem with aero fx as well so it must be scatterers doing.

That's the way it is in the stock game, it was broken in previous versions of scatterer.

It's funny because people complained for me to fix this before.

Btw it also sounds like you've never booted up the game without scatterer which is awesome.

Edited by blackrack

I admit it must have been a long time since I played the game pure stock and got really used to how scatterer does this and truthfully stock looks awful. I mean the craft completely vanishes behind the aero fx, makes me want to completely turn it off. It isn't realistic either because you would hardly be able to see this around the craft.

Heh, ^^ that's quite funny. Anywho...

@blackrack, I was looking up some info on a problem I know has existed for some time across many games regarding AA and shadows when I stumbled on this...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fixing-screen-space-directional-shadows-and-anti-aliasing.379902/

Is it possible any of those "hacks" can be used to stop the aliasing effect of scatterer when it comes into contact with terrain? More so, I would actually like Squad to implement some kind of fix because KSP does indeed suffer from this problem. To those who read this and suddenly start noticing the issue...don't hate me, that can come when you see it in other games :sticktongue:

As always, lovin' your work.

Edit: I feel I might need to add. Obviously, I'm not expecting that this code can just be thrown into scatterer and a solve the problem. It just struck me as possibly related in terms of how things are rendered in different "spaces" and could perhaps give some ideas rather than directly applied.

Edited by Manwith Noname
clarifying thoughts

On 06/02/2017 at 0:14 AM, Manwith Noname said:

Heh, ^^ that's quite funny. Anywho...

@blackrack, I was looking up some info on a problem I know has existed for some time across many games regarding AA and shadows when I stumbled on this...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fixing-screen-space-directional-shadows-and-anti-aliasing.379902/

Is it possible any of those "hacks" can be used to stop the aliasing effect of scatterer when it comes into contact with terrain? More so, I would actually like Squad to implement some kind of fix because KSP does indeed suffer from this problem. To those who read this and suddenly start noticing the issue...don't hate me, that can come when you see it in other games :sticktongue:

As always, lovin' your work.

Edit: I feel I might need to add. Obviously, I'm not expecting that this code can just be thrown into scatterer and a solve the problem. It just struck me as possibly related in terms of how things are rendered in different "spaces" and could perhaps give some ideas rather than directly applied.

Haven't read that much into it, but from the looks of it, it will not help, this trick is done inside the "anti-aliased" shader by comparing it's fragment depth (anti-aliased) to the raw depth buffer depth (no antialiasing). In scatterer the main effect is a post-processing one and only has access to the depth buffer.

Edited by blackrack

I've installed scatterer v0.0300 with scatterer-sunflare and scatterer-config and I am getting two NREs, when entering the tracking station.

Is this known, yet? If yes, it is a config thing, that I could fix on my own, until the next release?

[LOG 16:53:05.636] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Jool (CelestialBody)
[LOG 16:53:05.636] [Scatterer] Found: Jool / Jool
[LOG 16:53:05.636] [Scatterer] Celestial Body: Eve (CelestialBody)
[LOG 16:53:05.637] [Scatterer] Found: Eve / Eve
[LOG 16:53:05.650] Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 16:53:05.650] Found Sunlight
[LOG 16:53:05.655] [Scatterer] mapping EVE clouds
[LOG 16:53:05.662] [Scatterer] Eve assembly type not found
[LOG 16:53:05.662] [Scatterer] Sunflare config found for Sun
[LOG 16:53:05.797] [Scatterer] Added custom sun flare for Sun
[LOG 16:53:05.812] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 16:53:05.813] [Scatterer] disableAmbientLight: Found sunlight
[LOG 16:53:05.814] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Mun for Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:05.814] [Scatterer] Added eclipse caster Minmus for Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:05.821] [Scatterer] Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:05.839] [Scatterer] Ocean config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:06.451] [Scatterer] Effects loaded for Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:06.948] 2/18/2017 4:53:06 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loading Textures
[LOG 16:53:06.970] 2/18/2017 4:53:06 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loaded Textures
[LOG 16:53:06.971] 2/18/2017 4:53:06 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 16:53:06.972] 2/18/2017 4:53:06 PM,TransferWindowPlanner,Loading Textures
[LOG 16:53:06.977] 2/18/2017 4:53:06 PM,TransferWindowPlanner,Configuring Styles
[LOG 16:53:07.354] [Scatterer] Error calling clouds2d.reassign() on planet: KerbinSystem.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Object]].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 16:53:07.360] [Progress Tracking Parser] Initializing Progress Parser...
[LOG 16:53:07.372] [UiApp] Awake: ContractsApp
[LOG 16:53:07.410] ScaleModList: listSize 451 maxListSize 1816
[LOG 16:53:07.410] QuickSearch(QStockToolbar)[3.12]: Destroy
[LOG 16:53:07.411] QuickSearch(QStockToolbar)[3.12]: AppLauncherDestroyed
[LOG 16:53:07.427] 2/18/2017 4:53:07 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Contracts System Ready
[LOG 16:53:07.535] [MessageSystem] Reposition 0.02 43083
[EXC 16:53:07.542] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateStuff ()
	scatterer.updateAtCameraRythm.OnPreCull ()
[LOG 16:53:07.555] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 16:53:07.652] [Scatterer] Sky switched to scaled mode
[LOG 16:53:07.653] Trajectories: attaching camera listener
[LOG 16:53:07.720] [UIApp] Adding ContractsApp to Application Launcher

Edited by Jebs_SY

Apologies if this is an obnoxiously simple question, but all planets with scatterer configs are supposed to show up in the alt f10 gui right? I have several planet packs installed and should have a dozen or so more atmospheres, judging by a quick glimpse at the scatterer folder in GameData, but only the stock planets show up in the GUI to select. Is there a simple fix to this (like a single button) that I overlooked or is this likely a much deeper issue?

I can provide a log if it helps. Thanks in advance.

Just now, smokytehbear said:

Apologies if this is an obnoxiously simple question, but all planets with scatterer configs are supposed to show up in the alt f10 gui right? I have several planet packs installed and should have a dozen or so more atmospheres, judging by a quick glimpse at the scatterer folder in GameData, but only the stock planets show up in the GUI to select. Is there a simple fix to this (like a single button) that I overlooked or is this likely a much deeper issue?

I can provide a log if it helps. Thanks in advance.

if any of the planets from other planet packs are around a different star besides the Sun, you will probably have compatibility problems. you will have to add each star to the planetList. Most planet pack developers dont work hand in hand with eachother so they dont write their configs to work with others. you will have to make the changes manually.

56 minutes ago, Galileo said:

if any of the planets from other planet packs are around a different star besides the Sun, you will probably have compatibility problems. you will have to add each star to the planetList. Most planet pack developers dont work hand in hand with eachother so they dont write their configs to work with others. you will have to make the changes manually.

Interesting... So to make sure I'm understanding this right, if I have any planets at all orbiting another star, that will screw up even the (non-stock) ones orbiting Kerbol?

3 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

when you see beautiful, highly realistic pictures, but your system just can't take the beauty :( (EVE already drops my framerate down to like 10 fps)

You are not alone. Scatterer murders my i7 4790K / GTX1080 from 60fps down to 18fps if I fly atmospheric for 20+ minutes. (with just EVE and KER installed, nothing in logs). I do not use scatterer atm.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:29 AM, SkyKaptn said:

You are not alone. Scatterer murders my i7 4790K / GTX1080 from 60fps down to 18fps if I fly atmospheric for 20+ minutes. (with just EVE and KER installed, nothing in logs). I do not use scatterer atm.

That's unfortunate, sounds like something is wrong there though, I'm on a i5 4690k and a GTX 980ti with 100+ mods, eve, scatterer and GPP and I maintain 60 fps even after 1-2 hour long flights around the planet. Now I'm not one the newest scatterer version, just the one bundled with GPP so maybe that is it.

Hi, anyone here had any luck getting the 255 version working with KSP 1.1.3? So far i only got as far as the all white Earth picture posted in last page. Version 247 works fine but the ocean flickering is killing me :(

edit - finally got it! Running RSS with 255 version of scatterer and the ocean flicker while camera moving is completelly gone!!

Edited by species

i7-6850K, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA 1080 overclocked. With RSSVE and the latest version of Scatterer, I don't last more than 15 seconds due to the memory leak, so I'm confirming what is probably well known. I'll try to get a log posted if that helps.

I also can't seem to find the last release either, version 0.2553? Or maybe I just don't know how to look in Github... Anyone have a source? Thank you

Found it: https://spacedock.info/mod/141/scatterer

Edited by Krazy_Kerbal

I updated ksp to 1.2.2. I was using 1.1.3 with RSS/RO/RSSVE with scatterer, and it ran very fine with 60fps, but after updating it and using rssve with scatterer, it gives very serious lag, and frame dropped about to 6-7 fps. FYI, i am playing with y50-70 laptop with i7-4710hq and gtx860m. 

does anyone know about solution for this?

5 hours ago, dennislee said:

I updated ksp to 1.2.2. I was using 1.1.3 with RSS/RO/RSSVE with scatterer, and it ran very fine with 60fps, but after updating it and using rssve with scatterer, it gives very serious lag, and frame dropped about to 6-7 fps. FYI, i am playing with y50-70 laptop with i7-4710hq and gtx860m. 

does anyone know about solution for this?

try disable eve cloud integration or you can download the previous version (0.256)