[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

45 minutes ago, blorgon said:

I'm having some trouble with scatterer's sunflare. Looks like the stock sunflare isn't being overwritten...?

Output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtnucn3ev4dggy6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here's a screenshot of what it's supposed to look like:

41fb860b0b.png

And here's one of what it currently looks like (it's loading the sunflare texture, but it's not replacing the stock flare):

6a36b7ea50.png

Gamedata:

62f9cdd7c0.png

This is because you have kopernicus installed and KSPRC does not include an mm cfg for kopernicus to remove the stock sunflare.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, Galileo said:

This is because you have kopernicus installed and KSPRC does not include an mm cfg for kopernicus to remove the stock sunflare.

I don't understand. Why would a scatterer sunflare need Kopernicus to remove the stock sunflare (scatterer has no dependencies, and other scatterer installs remove the stock flare just fine)? Not a single one of my other installs of the game—including installs with KSPRC and Kopernicus—have this issue.

I[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

On 7/14/2017 at 4:36 PM, blorgon said:

I don't understand. Why would a scatterer sunflare need Kopernicus to remove the stock sunflare (scatterer has no dependencies, and other scatterer installs remove the stock flare just fine)? Not a single one of my other installs of the game—including installs with KSPRC and Kopernicus—have this issue.

Scatterer doesn't have dependencies, true, but for it to work with kopernicus, that change has to be made. [snip] Either have that mm patch or have the stock sun flare peeking through. The only other fix is to scale the sunflare to cover up the stock one.  

Edited by Vanamonde

On 7/14/2017 at 4:55 PM, Galileo said:

Scatterer doesn't have dependencies, true, but for it to work with kopernicus, that change has to be made

I didn't understand what you had meant by your original reply because I wasn't aware that extra steps need to be taken to make scatterer and Kopernicus play nice, [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

Since updating to scatterer 0.3.2, I've noticed that my game no longer shows any kind of ocean wave/shader animations. The ocean is actually completely translucent, like a window, and you can see straight to the bottom. I have ocean shaders turned on. I note that if I switch back to scatterer 0.3.0, I don't get this issue. I am running KSP 1.2.2 in Dx11 mode. Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

38 minutes ago, trias702 said:

Since updating to scatterer 0.3.2, I've noticed that my game no longer shows any kind of ocean wave/shader animations. The ocean is actually completely translucent, like a window, and you can see straight to the bottom. I have ocean shaders turned on. I note that if I switch back to scatterer 0.3.0, I don't get this issue. I am running KSP 1.2.2 in Dx11 mode. Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong?

You are using a version of scatterer made for v1.3 of the game with v1.2.2, no wonder there is an issue. Either uptade the game or stay on scatterer 0.3.0

Edited by Nightwindale

6 minutes ago, Nightwindale said:

You are using a version of scatterer made for v1.3 of the game with v1.2.2, no wonder there is an issue. Either uptade the game or stay on scatterer 0.3.0

According to the documentation in the first post of this forum, scatterer 0.3.2 supports both KSP 1.2.2 and 1.3. Nothing in the documentation states that 0.3.2 is KSP 1.3 only and therefore there will be issues on 1.2.2.

EDIT: I have tried going back to Dx 9, but this doesn't solve anything. I notice that scatterer 0.3.0 has the following config setting which was removed in 0.3.2:

oceanRenderQueue = 2001

Given I'm having ocean rendering issues, I wonder if perhaps removing this option is causing the issue? Could it be that the ocean surface shaders are too low priority in a queue somewhere to render properly?

Edited by trias702

4 minutes ago, trias702 said:

According to the documentation in the first post of this forum, scatterer 0.3.2 supports both KSP 1.2.2 and 1.3. Nothing in the documentation states that 0.3.2 is KSP 1.3 only and therefore there will be issues on 1.2.2.

EDIT: I have tried going back to Dx 9, but this doesn't solve anything. I notice that scatterer 0.3.0 has the following config setting which was removed in 0.3.2:

oceanRenderQueue = 2001

Given I'm having ocean rendering issues, I wonder if perhaps removing this option is causing the issue? Could it be that the ocean surface shaders are too low priority in a queue somewhere to render properly?

did u download 0.32 or 0.32b?

might want to make sure u are using the right download. its not ONE VERSION FOR ALL!

the default version on spacedock links to the 1.3.0 compatible one

Edited by Speadge

I have also got this issue in KSP 1.3 with the latest scatterer, for 1.3. With shaders off the water is fine (stock water) if I return to the main menu and switch them on without a restart I see the stock water with the new pretty water poking through in places. then after a restart with the shaders on I have invisible water. 

Edit: Hmm seems to have been a fluke, for me at least. after another restart it is fine, and two more re loads after that is still fine.. So no idea why that happened.

Although I seem to get a bit of an FPS drop when looking at the ocean, is there any way for me to reduce the quality at all?

Edited by beta546

15 minutes ago, Speadge said:

did u download 0.32 or 0.32b?

might want to make sure u are using the right download. its not ONE VERSION FOR ALL!

the default version on spacedock links to the 1.3.0 compatible one

Good shout! So I received 0.32 via a CKAN update. However, I just downloaded 0.32 from the OP, and it works perfectly! Issue gone.

Looks like CKAN has (or at least had) a corrupted version of scatterer 0.3.2 for KSP 1.2.2. Let this be a good lesson: any time one has issues with a mod, if it came from CKAN, always helps to re-download from the source.

Thanks again for the help!

2 hours ago, beta546 said:

I have also got this issue in KSP 1.3 with the latest scatterer, for 1.3. With shaders off the water is fine (stock water) if I return to the main menu and switch them on without a restart I see the stock water with the new pretty water poking through in places. then after a restart with the shaders on I have invisible water. 

Edit: Hmm seems to have been a fluke, for me at least. after another restart it is fine, and two more re loads after that is still fine.. So no idea why that happened.

Although I seem to get a bit of an FPS drop when looking at the ocean, is there any way for me to reduce the quality at all?

On the pop up box that appears on start up, change the setting at the top from 128, to 64.

Hey, I was wondering if you could help with a problem I'm having adding scatterer oceans to some of my modded planets

So for a new planet I added, when I added the scatterer ocean, it seemed to co-exist with the old flat stock ocean when I had the ocean configured like so:

Spoiler

Ocean
    {
            maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
            minLevel = 2
            maxLevel = 16
            minDetailDistance = 16
            oceanColor = 0.00,0.33,0.44,1
            Material
            {
                colorFromSpace = 0.10,0.33,0.44,1
                color = 0.00,0.33,0.44,0.5
            }
            FallbackMaterial
            {
                colorFromSpace = 0.10,0.33,0.44,1
                color = 0.00,0.33,0.44,0.5
            }
            Mods
            {
                AerialPerspectiveMaterial
                {
                    globalDensity = -0.00001
                    heightFalloff = 6.75
                    atmosphereDepth = 150000
                    DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
                    cameraAlt = 0
                    cameraAtmosAlt = 0
                    heightDensAtViewer = 0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 200
                }
                OceanFX
                {
                    Watermain
                    {
                        waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
                        waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
                        waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
                        waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
                        waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
                        waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
                        waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
                        waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
                    }
                    framesPerSecond = 1
                    spaceAltitude = 1500000
                    blendA = 0
                    blendB = 0
                    texBlend = 0
                    angle = 0
                    specColor = 0.05,0.33,0.44,0.5
                    oceanOpacity = 0.01
                    spaceSurfaceBlend = 0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 200
                }
            }
            Fog
            {
                fogColorEnd = 0.45,0.45,0.45,1
                fogColorStart = 0.45,0.45,0.45,1
                skyColorOpacityBase = 0.5
            }
    }

But then when I changed the config to this:

Spoiler

Ocean
    {
            maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
            minLevel = 2
            maxLevel = 16
            minDetailDistance = 16
    }

It appeared and functioned just fine with scatterer... so whatever, not a big deal

But then I tried to apply a scatterer ocean to a duna-with-oceans mod I've mad, and the results were weird.

Viewing from under the water seems fine:

OqV2B8R.png

But from above the water, the ocean is nearly invisible:

Ek1zrii.png

And it was just a copy of the kerbin ocean.cfg with the name changed from Kerbin to Duna.

Any ideas?

*edit* solved it, the duna atmo config had a line about the ocean, and changing a 0 to a 1 fixed it:

BjN9W3T.png

Edited by KerikBalm

On 7.7.2017 at 1:16 PM, blackrack said:

Flip the alternate sqrt switch in the main menu settings.

Thank you very very much for making this fantastic mod!

I also used to have this halo bug in 1.2, and turning on this sqrt-fix removed the halo. It was gone and everything worked nicely up to and including the hot-fix for the floating tiles.

Today, I downloaded the latest release for 1.3, and whether or not the sqrt-fix is on or off, I always have the halo. Meaning... the fix is no longer working for me with with latest version, but before that, it was fine.

I am using OS X and an otherwise clean install of KSP, meaning no other mods.

So, I made some tests:

320b (1st download link on SpaceDock): Sqrt-fix not working, always halo

315 preview (2nd download from top on SpaceDock): Halo is always there, fix is not doing anything on or off

275 preview (3rd download from top on SpaceDock): Fix Works: Halo is gone with alternate sqrt "off". This is the latest version where I can remove the halo...

Edited by Epoxid

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

it seemed to co-exist with the old flat stock ocean when I had the ocean configured like so

In your planet's template file, add this:

Template
        {
            name = [TEMPLATE NAME] (probably Laythe)
			-->> removeOcean = true <<--
			removePQSMods = [YOUR PQSMODS]
        }

9 hours ago, Epoxid said:

Thank you very very much for making this fantastic mod!

I also used to have this halo bug in 1.2, and turning on this sqrt-fix removed the halo. It was gone and everything worked nicely up to and including the hot-fix for the floating tiles.

Today, I downloaded the latest release for 1.3, and whether or not the sqrt-fix is on or off, I always have the halo. Meaning... the fix is no longer working for me with with latest version, but before that, it was fine.

I am using OS X and an otherwise clean install of KSP, meaning no other mods.

So, I made some tests:

320b (1st download link on SpaceDock): Sqrt-fix not working, always halo

315 preview (2nd download from top on SpaceDock): Halo is always there, fix is not doing anything on or off

275 preview (3rd download from top on SpaceDock): Fix Works: Halo is gone with alternate sqrt "off". This is the latest version where I can remove the halo...

As I think I mentioned earlier - I'm having the same problem; since I switched to 1.3 & ran the updated scatterer with it, I always have the rainbow. 

I'm trying to figure out how to get a log to help, as soon as I can, I'll post it. 

I have no idea what I did, but I tried re-installing scatterer today, and now I no longer get the halos (on OSX). Maybe due to upgrading SVE to 1.2.5.0 since I last uninstalled scatterer?

These are the settings I have which seemed to work for me (and disabling alt sqrt did give me halos again too):

xGWHWgw.png?1

Edited by Rodger

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

I have no idea what I did, but I tried re-installing scatterer today, and now I no longer get the halos (on OSX). Maybe due to upgrading SVE to 1.2.5.0 since I last uninstalled scatterer?

These are the settings I have which seemed to work for me (and disabling alt sqrt did give me halos again too):

xGWHWgw.png?1

Thanks for the update, and the suggestion! Unfortunately, when I followed the same steps, the halo still exists for me - even after toggling the alternate SQRT (I'm also running OS X, on a pretty new Mac, so I don't think it's a. hardware issue). 

http://imgur.com/a/Nmjn1