[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

38 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@blackrack I have followed your guidelines for submitting a bug report, the issue I'm being affected by is incredibly frustrating given Scatterer is one of the main mods I use. Sorry if I'm sounding impatient, but I can't play KSP with the disgusting stock visual effects.

Now. Now.  Be nice.  Stock is beautiful as it is.  You've just become a vis-snob. :D

On 10/25/2018 at 4:12 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

I don't wanna be 'that guy', but could someone please help me with my issue?

Log doesn't really tell me anything, I would suggest removing all mods and see if you still have the issue. If it persists, try to come up with some reproduction steps.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:11 PM, Poodmund said:

With reference to issue #40 on the Git repo concerning the visual glitch where the Scatterer effects appear inverted, I can confirm that it occurs when the Anti-Aliasing is turned off via the 'Escape Settings Menu': https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/40#issuecomment-433111415

Here is a video on an otherwise vanilla KSP 1.5.1 install with just Scatterer installed.

Which video mode? Dx9?

13 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Which video mode? Dx9?

Yes this was with DX9 booting without any additional startup parameters in Fullscreen mode; the vanilla boot-up so to speak.

In conclusion, it seems occur only when changing into a new scene with AA disabled via the Esc menu.

EDIT: For reference, I play KSP with AA disabled because I get weird ghosting artifacts when using KSP's program-side AA so I disable it and force the AA hardware-side through nVidia's control panel specifically for the KSP executable. Changing the setting in the nVidia control panel makes no difference so it has to be something that Scatterer is doing with respect to KSP's AA settings.

Edited by Poodmund

20 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Yes this was with DX9 booting without any additional startup parameters in Fullscreen mode; the vanilla boot-up so to speak.

In conclusion, it seems occur only when changing into a new scene with AA disabled via the Esc menu.

EDIT: For reference, I play KSP with AA disabled because I get weird ghosting artifacts when using KSP's program-side AA so I disable it and force the AA hardware-side through nVidia's control panel specifically for the KSP executable. Changing the setting in the nVidia control panel makes no difference so it has to be something that Scatterer is doing with respect to KSP's AA settings.

I fixed it and will make a new release soon. On a side note, does the nvidia AA work well? Last I remember it wasn't working, I would like to see some screens of it.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

On a side note, does the nvidia AA work well? Last I remember it wasn't working, I would like to see some screens of it.

Seems to work fine for me, here's an album with some screenshots of a Vanilla install with the GFX settings maxed, AA disabled but forced through the nVidia Control Panel with the settings shown. With a 980ti it was solid, maxing the 165Hz referesh rate of my monitor and it buttery smooth on camera rotation.

https://imgur.com/a/eSYdgeU

The best shot is the one with the rocket on the pad, you can see the VAB, Water Tower and Flagpole edges.

Edited by Poodmund

28 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Seems to work fine for me, here's an album with some screenshots of a Vanilla install with the GFX settings maxed, AA disabled but forced through the nVidia Control Panel with the settings shown. With a 980ti it was solid, maxing the 165Hz referesh rate of my monitor and it buttery smooth on camera rotation.

https://imgur.com/a/eSYdgeU

The best shot is the one with the rocket on the pad, you can see the VAB, Water Tower and Flagpole edges.

Thanks, I just tried this and it looks quite clean. Doesn't work super well with scatterer's post-processing edges but looks cleaner than the built-in AA.

On 10/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

I'm experiencing some issues with Scatterer.

Version: 1.4.5

Problem: Sunflares have suddenly stopped working since rebooting the game an hour ago, but only in flight view, when switching to crafts from the tracking station, and in one specific save;

Mods: I haven't changed any settings, installed/uninstalled any mods or really touched anything for a few days, this bug suddenly started occurring after rebooting the game, I'm hoping this is a known issue and is easily fixable.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lw313e6tj097r9/output_log.txt?dl=0

EDIT: Reinstalled Scatterer, issue persists

The issue is with me too, since 1.4.5 I noticed this. Basically when I load any craft that is not on the surface of something there is no sun flare.

This is just a graphical issue. I've let it go as it doesn't really affect gameplay other than aesthetics.

@blackrack

State:

• Clean KSP 1.5.1 with -force-d3d11
  • Most current scatterer (no config changes)
  • Most current EVE (no configs)
  • Most current TextureReplacer (no config changes)
  • Most current Kopernicus (no configs / config changes)
  • No changes from defaults, nothing else added

Errors:

Spoiler

[LOG 13:08:04.092] [Scatterer] Found: Eve / Eve
[LOG 13:08:04.097] Found scaled sunlight
[LOG 13:08:04.097] Found Sunlight
[ERR 13:01:54.678] Invalid antiAliasing value (must be at least 1)
[LOG 13:01:54.684] [Scatterer] mapping EVE clouds

[LOG 13:01:54.853] [Scatterer] Ocean config found for: Kerbin
[LOG 13:01:54.974] Proland::OceanFFT::Start	- fourier grid size must be pow2 number, changing to nearest pow2 number

[LOG 13:01:55.601] [Scatterer] Effects loaded for Kerbin
[LOG 13:01:55.851] [Scatterer] Error calling clouds2d.reassign() on planet: Kerbin Exception returned: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Object]].get_Item (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I'm also curious if you plan to update scatterer to use Bruneton's newer scattering (from 2017) sometime.
https://github.com/Scrawk/Brunetons-Improved-Atmospheric-Scattering

Edited by Electrocutor

What is the resolution for the black sky with scatterer? I have created a ReflectionProbe, and it works perfectly with stock and EVE, but when scatterer is added, the sky turns black in the render.

I have the probe set to show the follow layers: LocalScenery, Water, Default

Does scatterer provide some light source from a different layer or something?

11 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Scatterer adds dust storms doesn't it? So with eve I can have dust storms so long as I have scatterer right? 

I've never seen dust storms as a feature of Scatterer. Some EVE packs have them through some low-lying cloud layers

4 hours ago, Limonz said:

Any word on a update to 1.5.x?

See quote below

On 10/27/2018 at 12:24 PM, blackrack said:

I fixed it and will make a new release soon.

Can someone create lighter version of that mod so potatoe PCs can run it please? I mean like only godrays from the buildings or aircrafts or trees/rocks. KSP alredy has its own scattering effect only thing that needs to be changes is Sun collor. I mean like without tuching the stock atmosphere only changing sun slowly from orangeish (sunrise) to yellowish and back also same effect in space too but in vacume the sun should appear white. Basically what you alredy did but in a lower level and without tuching the stock atmosphere and godrays. Far Cry 2 alredy did those effects like go watch some vids and you will understand better ABOUT THE GODRAYS tho the sun collor is just like in the game but optimized for lowe PCs. PLEASE MAKE IT

17 minutes ago, Jack the Green Ghost said:

Can someone create lighter version of that mod so potatoe PCs can run it please? I mean like only godrays from the buildings or aircrafts or trees/rocks. KSP alredy has its own scattering effect only thing that needs to be changes is Sun collor. I mean like without tuching the stock atmosphere only changing sun slowly from orangeish (sunrise) to yellowish and back also same effect in space too but in vacume the sun should appear white. Basically what you alredy did but in a lower level and without tuching the stock atmosphere and godrays. Far Cry 2 alredy did those effects like go watch some vids and you will understand better ABOUT THE GODRAYS tho the sun collor is just like in the game but optimized for lowe PCs. PLEASE MAKE IT

Godrays are anything but light version, and the mod itself isn't applicable for potato computers. They don't have to be beefy, but potatos won't be ok with it.

KSP doesn't have light scattering. That's why Scatterer was made.

I only use it for making Kerbol nicer, and for atmospheric scattering, so that I actually see there's atmosphere present. I turn off ocean waves and everything else.

7 hours ago, Jack the Green Ghost said:

HEY? I use SCi Fi and it doesn't use scatterer. It looks really good. Check it out.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/151190-14sci-fi-visual-enchancements-v-14-high-performance-alt-to-sve/

23 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Godrays are anything but light version, and the mod itself isn't applicable for potato computers. They don't have to be beefy, but potatos won't be ok with it.

KSP doesn't have light scattering. That's why Scatterer was made.

I only use it for making Kerbol nicer, and for atmospheric scattering, so that I actually see there's atmosphere present. I turn off ocean waves and everything else.

I mean scantterer just kills my FPS cuz Im playing on a laptop with integrated Intel HD GPU. Also in stock scatterer I mean KSP has like that orange thing on the atmosphere during just before sunrise or just after sunset 

17 hours ago, Agustin said:

HEY? I use SCi Fi and it doesn't use scatterer. It looks really good. Check it out.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/151190-14sci-fi-visual-enchancements-v-14-high-performance-alt-to-sve/

I alredy have it installed but I just really want the realistic sun color change in space and godrays

Hi everyone,

I'm publishing an update for 1.5.1. The bug with flipped effects when AA is disabled is fixed.

I removed the intrusive options from the main menu and added a button for the mod in the toolbar (logo by  @cratercracker  thx a lot)

zJgtKks.png

Effects are now active in main menu also

h28ELVF.jpg

The release is uploading and links will be in the OP shortly.

Not the biggest update yet but I'm returning to the mod now and going to spend some more time on it, I have plenty of ideas and a lot of bugs on my list.

Awesome, thanks Blackrack. 

With regards to the 'plenty of ideas and lots of bugs on my list', I think someone before had mentioned Scrawks newest implmentation of the Bruneton's Atmospheric Scattering in Unity (https://github.com/Scrawk/Brunetons-Improved-Atmospheric-Scattering) as I think the current implementation is the older model(?).

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

Not the biggest update yet but I'm returning to the mod now and going to spend some more time on it, I have plenty of ideas and a lot of bugs on my list.

Welcome back! Great to know Scatterer will continue to evolve  :) 

20 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Awesome, thanks Blackrack. 

With regards to the 'plenty of ideas and lots of bugs on my list', I think someone before had mentioned Scrawks newest implmentation of the Bruneton's Atmospheric Scattering in Unity (https://github.com/Scrawk/Brunetons-Improved-Atmospheric-Scattering) as I think the current implementation is the older model(?).

I checked it and it seemed to be mostly code readability improvements with no major features or major visual changes.

What would you guys like to see from this version exactly? I personally don't see enough reasons to migrate.

Some ideas I have I think should have priority instead:

-Adding proland trees in scatterer

-Improving the localspace/orbit transition and getting rid of (or reducing the need for) configpoints

-Integrating the precomputation code into the game (ie having the config tool functionality ingame instead)

-Doing the godrays correctly and adding them to clouds as well

-Finishing heat refractions (made an early prototype   https://gfycat.com/FixedHairyBream )

-Displaying all effects correctly in any camera (mod cameras, bdarmory cameras etc)

-Underwater caustics

Etc...

Edited by blackrack

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

-Adding proland trees in scatterer This would be very nice. I'm not sure how you specify which areas of the terrain are covered in the trees though, maybe link it to a per biome basis?

-Improving the localspace/orbit transition and getting rid of (or reducing the need for) configpoints Improving the transition is always good but it does work quite well already if you actually set up with good values in the config.

-Integrating the precomputation code into the game (ie having the config tool functionality ingame instead) I wouldn't see this as much of a priority at all. I almost think it would be better to keep it separate as it is now. Implementing it into the game could cause further mod issues, perfomance issues etc.

-Doing the godrays correctly and adding them to clouds as well With reference to clouds, improving the ongoing Scatterer-EVE relationship is a battle I don't envy you for tackling.

-Finishing heat refractions (made an early prototype   https://gfycat.com/FixedHairyBream ) These were really nice when you previewed them. A good addition, would possibly be good for a separate mod release.

-Displaying all effects correctly in any camera (mod cameras, bdarmory cameras etc) Getting Scatterer to render using the in-game screenshot function would be nice as it currently does not when creating super-sampled screenshots.

-Underwater caustics Improving Scatterer's liquid rendering and performance is always welcome as the ocean effects are one of the main draws. ALSO! The flooded KSC bug still haunts so many people and constantly fills up the KSP sub-reddit.

The main things I'd like to see potentially resolved are:

- Editing the Alpha values of the Scatterer atmo effects seems to not actually make the effect more transparent but actually just makes the body fade to a dark grey sphere. Is this intended? I've always thought that this behaviour is super weird as it is hard to implement Scatterer on a body that has a very thin atmosphere as you lower the Alpha setting a lot to reduce the Scatterer effect but then have to massively over-expose the effect to stop the body from become a dark-grey/black sphere.

- Occluding the Scatterer horizon effect that appears behind terrain. When there are hills and mountains in the foreground, the Scatterer effect is rendered in front of them on the horizon which has always been an immersion breaker.

- The dreaded refactoring. Scatterer does have a fairly beefy impact of frame rate but I have no idea how performance could be improved. This is an ever-ongoing chase I guess.

22 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I checked it and it seemed to be mostly code readability improvements with no major features or major visual changes.

What would you guys like to see from this version exactly? I personally don't see enough reasons to migrate.

The biggest thing I'd love to see would be removing the black line on the horizon when in the atmosphere of Kerbin. You see that line every time you launch or fly around Kerbin.