[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

24 minutes ago, Agustin said:

How do I disable stock sunflare?

I am on 1.7.2 and there isnt a working kopernicus version available for it.

You’ll need to be on 1.7.3 or 1.7.1 for Kopernicus to work. There isn’t any other way to do it without Kopernicus. I’ve seen you post and ask about this on multiple different threads. Have you tried principles on 1.7.3? Why would it be broken considering 1.7.3 is such a minor update? You don’t have many options other than to roll back or update.

Edited by Galileo

I'm having a problem tweaking a sunflare; while the size of the sunspikes/sunflare is correct, it appears offset from the actual star.

These are my current settings:

flareSettings = 0.675, 1.0, 1.47
spikesSettings = 0.425, 1.0, 4.41

Now, I know the last value concerns the size - which is now correct - but what are the other two values? Are they related to the spatial offset of the flares? Or do I need to tweak something else?

1 hour ago, Tonas1997 said:

I'm having a problem tweaking a sunflare; while the size of the sunspikes/sunflare is correct, it appears offset from the actual star.

These are my current settings:

flareSettings = 0.675, 1.0, 1.47
spikesSettings = 0.425, 1.0, 4.41

Now, I know the last value concerns the size - which is now correct - but what are the other two values? Are they related to the spatial offset of the flares? Or do I need to tweak something else?

The default Scatterer cfg explains what each value does iirc.

10 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The default Scatterer cfg explains what each value does iirc.

You mean the Sun.cfg that comes with scatterer? It *is* commented, but it doesn't specify the meaning of each value:

//Flare and spikes: Centered on the sun
//
//
//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.85

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

At this point, I'm not sure there exists something like an "offset" property for scatterer sunflares. Would love to be proven wrong, though!

Also keep in mind that, so far, I only saw this happening on scaled space (tracking station/map view); going to Proxima to test the problem in-situ is still a bit beyond my skills:D

On 7/10/2019 at 2:59 AM, blackrack said:

Fixed with scatterer ocean, with stock ocean it isn't working very well, try forcing d3d11, it handles z-fighting better.

Same as above.

Interestingly, on kerbal size Real solar system (Visual Enhancements) if I force d3d11 the problem gets worse, I think this is special case or other mod messing with it

Edited by ssd21345

On 7/19/2019 at 8:47 PM, ssd21345 said:

Interestingly, on kerbal size Real solar system (Visual Enhancements) if I force d3d11 the problem gets worse, I think this is special case or other mod messing with it

I realize that this can be a PITA to check, but what happens when you run KSP with only 1/10th scale RSS and its dependencies installed? Leave RSSVE out and then try again with it.

1 hour ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

I realize that this can be a PITA to check, but what happens when you run KSP with only 1/10th scale RSS and its dependencies installed? Leave RSSVE out and then try again with it.

nothing bad happen. I also tried run with EVE only+RSSVE or scatterer only to see whether it's Eve problem, but it's scatterer

and KSRSS doesn't use sigma rescale. It's custom so I don't think I can change it to 1/10th scale

Edited by ssd21345

11 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

nothing bad happen. I also tried run with EVE only+RSSVE or scatterer only to see whether it's Eve problem, but it's scatterer

and KSRSS doesn't use sigma rescale. It's custom so I don't think I can change it to 1/10th scale

Re; 1/10th scale - You had mentioned "kerbal size Real solar system" and that is what led me to mention 1/10th scale RSS. I apologize for misinterpreting. While I am not a modder, I was thinking of things that might be of use to Blackrack when you send him your log file and details of how you found the issue. 

For my own experience, I have not seen high altitude z-fighting since KSP v1.2.2 and Scatterer v0.0320. I realize that Blackrack noted that he had a fix for that problem in Scatterer v0.053 and KSP v1.6.1 and that some players run into it even now while others, like myself, don't.

I have played KSP with RSS and RSSVE installed a few times over the last 2 years; however, even when doing so, I never saw the z-fighting issue.

I don't have a good explanation of why I rarely, if ever, encounter these problems. My desktop PC is NOT a gaming rig and does not have high-spec components. It's just a workhorse for photography and technical writing, and it's now older than one of my nephews. :lol:

Edited by MaeharaProjekt

On 7/24/2019 at 10:14 PM, MaeharaProjekt said:

Re; 1/10th scale - You had mentioned "kerbal size Real solar system" and that is what led me to mention 1/10th scale RSS. I apologize for misinterpreting. While I am not a modder, I was thinking of things that might be of use to Blackrack when you send him your log file and details of how you found the issue. 

For my own experience, I have not seen high altitude z-fighting since KSP v1.2.2 and Scatterer v0.0320. I realize that Blackrack noted that he had a fix for that problem in Scatterer v0.053 and KSP v1.6.1 and that some players run into it even now while others, like myself, don't.

I have played KSP with RSS and RSSVE installed a few times over the last 2 years; however, even when doing so, I never saw the z-fighting issue.

I don't have a good explanation of why I rarely, if ever, encounter these problems. My desktop PC is NOT a gaming rig and does not have high-spec components. It's just a workhorse for photography and technical writing, and it's now older than one of my nephews. :lol:

it seems it's their mod side and it's fixed in latest update

Interesting bug I'm experiencing. Look at the weird dots on the screen. This is across the entire screen for anyone using (as far as i'm aware) my planet mod. Even after using the default scatterer config, the issue persists. This doesn't happen in AVP, but does in my mod.

Let me know if you need configs and logs - or if it's a simple fix!

YsUWB3s.png

Edited by Gameslinx

28 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Interesting bug I'm experiencing. Look at the weird dots on the screen. This is across the entire screen for anyone using (as far as i'm aware) my planet mod. Even after using the default scatterer config, the issue persists. This doesn't happen in AVP, but does in my mod.

YsUWB3s.png

The issue Gameslinx is reporting can be confirmed by me, and a few other people, looking at their screenshots, i am going to provide some context and details here.

unknown.png

This shortly occured after installing BH, I also asked Gameslinx, and he informed me it was on Scatterer's end this was confirmed when i deleted Scatterer, it went away i reverted 1 version before the latest release, 0.054, to 0.053, and that also seemed to fix nothing, i had to delete scatterer in order to fix it, I reinstalled both BH and Scatterer and i no longer know what to do. I restored Nvidia settings, resetted KSP settings.Turned off anti aliasing in both NVIDIA's control panel and KSP. One thing that i have noticed is that it only occurs when i am looking at bright objects or if the exposure changes dramatically it also appears on my spacecraft and not just the background. One person asked me to run the game on DX11, and i did that, then i also did that to OpenGL, and nothing happened. I turned off the supersampling settings for screenshots aswell in configs, just to see if it does anything, nothing again. They appear all the time even if i am not taking screenshots, most notably when i am in the tracking station or in flight and when exposure changes.

unknown-1.png

-my mod-list just in case it's relevant-

I've tried replacing Beyond home's config with AVP's one, aswell as deleting Rhode's file, nothing fixed. Also, after looking at some screenshots, it seems this appears in all BH installs it depends on your screen resolution and colour accuracy how visible they are. On Gameslinx's case, he says he also gets them, but they're very faint in his screen.
this issue seems to not occur on other mods but BH, i am suspecting this might be part of scatterer's config with BH.

I've contacted both BH and AVP modmakers, and they both have no clue on what might be causing this other than scatterer.

Here's my log incase you need it.

My settings

We will be waiting for you response.

Edited by KSPFanatic102

7 minutes ago, KSPFanatic102 said:

The issue Gameslinx is reporting can be confirmed by me, and a few other people, looking at their screenshots, i am going to provide some context and details here.

unknown.png

This shortly occured after installing BH, I also asked Gameslinx, and he informed me it was on Scatterer's end this was confirmed when i deleted Scatterer, it went away i reverted 1 version before the latest release, 0.054, to 0.053, and that also seemed to fix nothing, i had to delete scatterer in order to fix it, I reinstalled both BH and Scatterer and i no longer know what to do. I restored Nvidia settings, resetted KSP settings.Turned off anti aliasing in both NVIDIA's control panel and KSP. One thing that i have noticed is that it only occurs when i am looking at bright objects or if the exposure changes dramatically it also appears on my spacecraft and not just the background. One person asked me to run the game on DX11, and i did that, then i also did that to OpenGL, and nothing happened. I turned off the supersampling settings for screenshots aswell in configs, just to see if it does anything, nothing again. They appear all the time even if i am not taking screenshots, most notably when i am in the tracking station or in flight and when exposure changes.

unknown-1.png

-my mod-list just in case it's relevant-

I've tried replacing Beyond home's config with AVP's one, aswell as deleting Rhode's file, nothing fixed. Also, after looking at some screenshots, it seems this appears in all BH installs it depends on your screen resolution and colour accuracy how visible they are. On Gameslinx's case, he says he also gets them, but they're very faint in his screen.
this issue seems to not occur on other mods but BH, i am suspecting this might be part of scatterer's config with BH.

I've contacted both BH and AVP modmakers, and they both have no clue on what might be causing this other than scatterer.

Here's my log incase you need it.

My settings

We will be waiting for you response.

more images

https://imgur.com/a/uBTUYd9

On 7/10/2019 at 7:25 AM, PsY4 said:

Hey ! Sure, here is the video of what happens :
And some more details

- It also happens on the Space Center view
- It also happens on pause menu
- It does not happens on fresh savegame
- If i delete some ships in orbit (even on other moons/planets) it's less visible
- It does not happens anymore if i delete all other ships

- It happens on all video engines (stock, dx11, glcore...)

And finaly the log file : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m-MeND8KjsFgG4V1LOl_V1xgn6xlomUD/view?usp=sharing

Hope you can see what's wrong, 'cause for me it's the only problem i have with your addon.

Keep the good work !

If you can manage to reproduce it on a save file using stock ships, and pass me the save file then I can look into, otherwise this doesn't give me much to go on and is going to be too time-consuming to reproduce.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:55 AM, TheKurgan said:

Scatterer is still very awesome and beautiful... HATE to play without it... BUT I do miss those white caps

Reveal hidden contents

GrqdxhN.jpg

The white caps where never gone, but somehow I've had some reports from SVE a while back that they disappeared.

Do you still get them with the stock scatterer config if you increase the settings like wind speed etc?

On 7/18/2019 at 11:29 PM, Tonas1997 said:

You mean the Sun.cfg that comes with scatterer? It *is* commented, but it doesn't specify the meaning of each value:

//Flare and spikes: Centered on the sun
//
//
//sunFlare.png
flareSettings = 0.45,1,0.85

//sunSpikes.png
spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

At this point, I'm not sure there exists something like an "offset" property for scatterer sunflares. Would love to be proven wrong, though!

Also keep in mind that, so far, I only saw this happening on scaled space (tracking station/map view); going to Proxima to test the problem in-situ is still a bit beyond my skills:D

There is no offset parameter, sounds like you are playing with a multi-star system, potentially the scale of which is breaking something. Do a full bug report please, including mods scale etc.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:55 AM, Emperor of Ilve said:

Is it possible that Scatterer recieves UBI support. This is mainly for things like Interstellar consortium which has serious issues with scatterer.

What is UBI?

On 7/31/2019 at 3:39 PM, Gameslinx said:

I can't reproduce this with the default scatterer config. I'm curious if you have any mods changing anything, or if this happens in a specific condition or sunflare, please be more detailed, I really don't have this with the stock scatterer config.

And btw @Gameslinx I'm still waiting for your zip/report on the scatterer effect killing performance with the custom terrain scatters.

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I have an issue where when scatterer is installed it changes the sky and water to white, when I remove the mod the water goes back to normal. module manager is up to date.

Which version of Scatterer and KSP are you using?  There were reported problems with some combinations discussed in this thread some pages back. 

42 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Which version of Scatterer and KSP are you using?  There were reported problems with some combinations discussed in this thread some pages back. 

I am using the 1.61 version of scatterer, I would use something later but I cant find any other newer versions.

i'm trying to create a planet with Kopernicus and scatterer, I've encountered some issues.

1st issue : I want my planet atmosphere to be colored in a brownish tint. On the Scatterer Tool (who's really well done :)) i've got this Rayleight scattering parameters :

dcOjiTY.png

However I get a blueish color

AzZE9z0.jpg

2nd issue: the atmosphere seems too thick compare to other planets.

3rd Issue : I don't know if it's scattering or Kopernicus that pose problem but my planet is divided in four zones.

gXns7JP.jpg

There is one Night zone where the ground is too luminous, one night zone is right, there is one day zone where the ground is too dark the other is ok.

Here's my gamedata folder, part of the planet config and the config file for the atmo :

rPTIMuZ.png

KxMwkPI.png

xvuoIgJ.png

Scatterer_atmosphere
{
    Atmo
    {
        name = Ecumenopolis
        experimentalAtmoScale = 2
        cloudColorMultiplier = 3
        cloudScatteringMultiplier = 0.200000003
        cloudSkyIrradianceMultiplier = 0.0500000007
        volumetricsColorMultiplier = 1
        Rg = 4500000
        Rt = 506603
        RL = 5087547
        atmosphereGlobalScale = 1
        EVEIntegration_preserveCloudColors = False
        HR = 5
        HM = 1
        m_betaR = 0.03200,0.0285,0.003318
        m_mieG = 0.70000024
        rimBlend = 20
        rimpower = 600
        specR = 25
        specG = 25
        specB = 25
        shininess = 50
        assetPath = TheWorldBeyond/TWB_DawnSystem/Scatterer/Planets/Ecumenopolis/Atmo
        configPoints
        {
            Item
            {
                altitude = 200
                skyExposure = 0.25
                skyAlpha = 0.2
                skyExtinctionTint = 1
                scatteringExposure = 0.230000004
                extinctionThickness = 1
                postProcessAlpha = 1
                postProcessDepth = 0.0799999982
                extinctionTint = 0.5
                openglThreshold = 10
                viewdirOffset = 0.0120000001
            }
            Item
            {
                altitude = 2000
                skyExposure = 0.25
                skyAlpha = 1
                skyExtinctionTint = 1
                scatteringExposure = 0.230000004
                extinctionThickness = 1
                postProcessAlpha = 1
                postProcessDepth = 0.100000001
                extinctionTint = 0.5
                openglThreshold = 10
                viewdirOffset = 0
            }
            Item
            {
                altitude = 200000
                skyExposure = 0.200000003
                skyAlpha = 1
                skyExtinctionTint = 1
                scatteringExposure = 0.200000003
                extinctionThickness = 1
                postProcessAlpha = 1
                postProcessDepth = 0.100000001
                extinctionTint = 0.5
                openglThreshold = 10
                viewdirOffset = 0
            }
        }
    }
}

I run KSP on 1.7.0 with Scatterer 1.7.0

By the way if you know a library that have all the comands, I take it !