[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

@blackrack, the option in the Scatterer config: "autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange = True" is the default setting. What is the benefit of this to a player/end user? Would it be more appropriate to set it to false by default and then let modders toggle it to true if they are doing dev work?

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

It's very difficult to catch a lightning with a screenshot, but here is one, to the right :
tP97bqa.png

The visual pack you are using is a repackage of astronomers visual pack(renamed to andromeda for whatever reason) and lightning is a feature of that mod. It has nothing to do with scatterer. in regard to your null refs, remove that visual pack, install default EVE and see if the problem persists. I'm fairly certain that the issue is andromeda and the fact that it still uses KVE.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@Gordon Dry might mean this sort of thing. It's more a rapid change of brightness experienced with the EVE clouds. That example is from KSP 1.1.3, and I can see how these might get coloured with the current Scatterer

That is just a poorly made cloud texture. Default EVEseems to do that, and SVE had it for a while. EVEs particle shader is very particular and doesn't like textures that don't stretch to the edge of the canvas. 

34 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

@blackrack, the option in the Scatterer config: "autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange = True" is the default setting. What is the benefit of this to a player/end user? Would it be more appropriate to set it to false by default and then let modders toggle it to true if they are doing dev work?

People complaining that they changed some settings and lost their changes on scene change, that's it.

I seem to have started getting square plates of the terrain split off and float up, somewhat like an Album Cover. It is hard to explain further. It is definitely an issue with Scatterer, as disabling the mod stops the plates of terrain from flying around. Should be noted that these floating plates does not have any collision, it is purely a visual bug.

8 minutes ago, KimKerman said:

I seem to have started getting square plates of the terrain split off and float up, somewhat like an Album Cover. It is hard to explain further. It is definitely an issue with Scatterer, as disabling the mod stops the plates of terrain from flying around. Should be noted that these floating plates does not have any collision, it is purely a visual bug.

What version of ksp are you using? Are you using the latest release of scatterer 0.0320? Or are you still using version 0.0300 for version 1.2.2 in ksp 1.3?

How do I enable the ocean shaders? I just updated to 1.3 and without SVE I can get the ocean shaders to work but everytime I install it it permanantly disables them :/

Edited by mor128

Hello @blackrack !

I've noticed one very annoying bug since .275

I believe it was introduced in .300

As you can see on screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmdbokjtwwto4t6/screenshot_2017-07-08--02-23-54.png?dl=0

Mountains on horizon are flickering (scattering flickering on it). Please note I use KScale64 (which uses Sigma Dimesions and Kopernicus) to rescale 6.4X

No flicker in .275

KSP version is 1.3, 300 and 320 scatterer and EVE regular config.

May be I need to tweak some settings? I know you don't support rescales, but kindly ask your advice.

New version is soo cool and I think perfomance improved a bit.

29 minutes ago, mor128 said:

How do I enable the ocean shaders? I just updated to 1.3 and without SVE I can get the ocean shaders to work but everytime I install it it permanantly disables them :/

Wait for SVE to be updated. This isn't the post to ask anyway.

there is a version of SVE in the OPthat uses the  experimental version of Scatterer. It works so use it for now.

Edited by Galileo

12 hours ago, blackrack said:

Flip the alternate sqrt switch in the main menu settings.

That doesn't seem to do anything for me. Even tried restarting after changing it, but still getting halos when it's on or off.

@blackrack I love the new update, but the water refraction hurts performance a little more than I expected. I took some screenshots of the performance gap when they are turned on and when they are turned off:

Spoiler

Refractions OFF
uUJZ5Vn.png

Refractions ON
hyP8UwZ.png

Its about a 15 fps difference, give or take a few fps. I have a pretty beefy setup, and this is completely playable for me, however, weaker systems will be whining :) But on the bright side, disabling the refractions doesn't take away from from anything and being underwater looking up is still awesome!

I don't think there is much you can do to alleviate this, but perhaps put a warning in like you did for the pixel lights. I just don't want you to get bombarded with "scatterer kills my fps" comments.

Oh, and the white caps are still not working in this release. :wink: 

Overall, great release!

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

@blackrack I love the new update, but the water refraction hurts performance a little more than I expected. I took some screenshots of the performance gap when they are turned on and when they are turned off:

Reveal hidden contents

Refractions OFF
uUJZ5Vn.png

Refractions ON
hyP8UwZ.png

Its about a 15 fps difference, give or take a few fps. I have a pretty beefy setup, and this is completely playable for me, however, weaker systems will be whining :) But on the bright side, disabling the refractions doesn't take away from from anything and being underwater looking up is still awesome!

I don't think there is much you can do to alleviate this, but perhaps put a warning in like you did for the pixel lights. I just don't want you to get bombarded with "scatterer kills my fps" comments.

Oh, and the white caps are still not working in this release. :wink: 

Overall, great release!

Refraction will be disabled anyway around 200m altitude and there will be no more hit. However I should also add that the more clouds you have the more impact you'll see from refraction for technical reasons.

7 hours ago, Rodger said:

That doesn't seem to do anything for me. Even tried restarting after changing it, but still getting halos when it's on or off.

Can you try a different renderer? What are you running right now? Opengl?

Edited by blackrack

1 minute ago, blackrack said:

Refraction will be disabled anyway around 200m altitude and there will be no more hit. However I should also add that the more clouds you have the more impact you'll see from refraction for technical reasons.

Well, that makes sense. I did notice the fps let up again after I launched and got a little worse upon splashdown. Ok well, that's handles that. But dem white caps doe :D 

45 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Yeah OpenGL, but I'm on a mac, so can't really switch.

@Rodger I do no think this is a Scatterer issue. I am also on a mac running KSP v. 1.3 and I am encountering the exact same problem.

I took out EVE (v. 1.2.2-1), SVE (v. 1.2.4.1) and SVT (v. 2.0.4), leaving only Scatterer (v. 0.0320b) and Kopernicus (v. 1.3.0-4) installed. It worked perfectly well. The sun and the sun flares were beautiful.

I then incrementally added the other mods to see where things broke down.

1) Scatterer + EVE = No problem

2) Scatterer + SVT = Problem (sunny-side-up sun)

3) Scatterer + EVE + SVE = Problem (sunny-side-up sun)

So its something, I am guessing, to do with SVE / SVT. I also tried what you advised in the response to @reavertm in the SVT forum thread and it did not work (changing the texture resolutions and/or the .dds with .pngs along with adjusting the sun.cfg). :(

Edited by Chaumas

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Well, that makes sense. I did notice the fps let up again after I launched and got a little worse upon splashdown. Ok well, that's handles that. But dem white caps doe :D 

I remember them working fine but I'll check.

58 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Yeah OpenGL, but I'm on a mac, so can't really switch.

Was it working fine in previous versions?

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

I remember them working fine but I'll check.

Was it working fine in previous versions?

I don't really remember, but I don't think so, it's not new to me. Not sure as I haven't used scatterer in ages due to this problem, at least in 1.2.2.

2 hours ago, Chaumas said:

So its something, I am guessing, to do with SVE / SVT. I also tried what you advised in the response to @reavertm in the SVT forum thread and it did not work (changing the texture resolutions and/or the .dds with .pngs along with adjusting the sun.cfg). :(

For the sun issue, I got it to work by doing the conversion to png in SVT, and also doing the in-game toggle as well. I think SVE also has dds versions as well but I don't know where the config that points to those is. @Chaumas Found it, SVE_JoolRings has a cfg which modifies the sun's textures, so SVE has the highest priority sun config by the looks of it. So try replacing those dds' with the pngs, and update the jool rings cfg. Or did you mean the atmosphere halos?

Edited by Rodger

17 hours ago, Galileo said:

The visual pack you are using is a repackage of astronomers visual pack(renamed to andromeda for whatever reason) and lightning is a feature of that mod. It has nothing to do with scatterer. in regard to your null refs, remove that visual pack, install default EVE and see if the problem persists. I'm fairly certain that the issue is andromeda and the fact that it still uses KVE.

Sir, by clouds particle i can tell that this isn't AVD or AVP repackaged, this is EVE, + scatterer cant see AVD cloud layers because they made on old EVE, so integration is impossible. This is definetly new EVE.

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

For the sun issue, I got it to work by doing the conversion to png in SVT, and also doing the in-game toggle as well. I think SVE also has dds versions as well but I don't know where the config that points to those is. @Chaumas Found it, SVE_JoolRings has a cfg which modifies the sun's textures, so SVE has the highest priority sun config by the looks of it. So try replacing those dds' with the pngs, and update the jool rings cfg. Or did you mean the atmosphere halos?

@Rodger Awesome! Thank you for locating the config. I am referring to the funky sun disk/halo that you also have in your screenshot from a few posts back. By replacing the .dds files with the .png equivalents you provided and then adjusting the config I no longer get the issue with the strange looking halo around the sun. However, the sun has become a little fuzzy. 

zqf2Jt5.png

May I ask why the change to a sharper terminator, and a wider sunset? How involved would it be to change back to a "fuzzier" terminator?

Here's a screenshot I took tonight:

ede4f53afc.png

And one of the "fuzzier" terminator from 1.1.1:

4EspR6o.png

On 7/7/2017 at 7:44 PM, Galileo said:

What version of ksp are you using? Are you using the latest release of scatterer 0.0320? Or are you still using version 0.0300 for version 1.2.2 in ksp 1.3?

I\m using both the lastest version of KSP and Scatterer, the flying squares was indeed fixed as the post mentioned, turned out I had forgotten to update scatterer. However now my sky is black o.0