[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Blackrack, may I know how to compile (or get functionally) the source, to review the cloud compatibility? Don't worry if it's a pain in the ass, of course I can wait.

And another question: for the moment I don't have a dx11 card available for me and I can't use the config tool. So I mod the xml config files by hand. Works perfectly in Kerbin. But if I try a config for Duna or Eve all settings appears applied except the atmo color, wich remains always in "Kerbin values". Is this a bug, or a consecuence of not to use the config tool?

Blackrack, may I know how to compile (or get functionally) the source, to review the cloud compatibility? Don't worry if it's a pain in the ass, of course I can wait.

And another question: for the moment I don't have a dx11 card available for me and I can't use the config tool. So I mod the xml config files by hand. Works perfectly in Kerbin. But if I try a config for Duna or Eve all settings appears applied except the atmo color, wich remains always in "Kerbin values". Is this a bug, or a consecuence of not to use the config tool?

Hi Proot, the source is uploaded on github, it's in the OP. Just download it as a huge zip file, extract it, download any unity version and open monodevelop (development environment included with unity), then just open a project with it and browse to the scatterer source and have fun pulling your hair out.

The thing is, the config tool doesn't just write to the .xml file, it generates new precomputed scattering tables (those .raw files) which contain most of the important scattering information like color. You can change some of the settings in the .xml file but most of them will give you weird results if they don't match what's in the .raw files. The tool only works in dx11 right now because it uses a special kind of shaders called compute shaders (these do parallel computations on the GPU) to generate the precomputed tables. These tables could be made to be computed on the CPU instead but I have zero experience with this sort of thing and it'd probably take me way too long to figure it out and do it.

Hi Proot, the source is uploaded on github, it's in the OP. Just download it as a huge zip file, extract it, download any unity version and open monodevelop (development environment included with unity), then just open a project with it and browse to the scatterer source and have fun pulling your hair out.

The thing is, the config tool doesn't just write to the .xml file, it generates new precomputed scattering tables (those .raw files) which contain most of the important scattering information like color. You can change some of the settings in the .xml file but most of them will give you weird results if they don't match what's in the .raw files. The tool only works in dx11 right now because it uses a special kind of shaders called compute shaders (these do parallel computations on the GPU) to generate the precomputed tables. These tables could be made to be computed on the CPU instead but I have zero experience with this sort of thing and it'd probably take me way too long to figure it out and do it.

Thanks for the quick answer Blackrack. Good to know!

A little question more (sorry, haha). Can the config tool generate the files even if you can't view the result in the config tool due to a lack of dx11?

Thanks for the quick answer Blackrack. Good to know!

A little question more (sorry, haha). Can the config tool generate the files even if you can't view the result in the config tool due to a lack of dx11?

Well, it uses dx11 to compute the tables and not just view them, so no, it can't :/

Hello. I am using this mod with KSP Version 1.0.2, with other mods installed as well, and when forcing OpenGL, I get strange, ugly lines in the sky (example in posted screenshot). When I try to run this without forcing OpenGL, I receive a crash to desktop when loading a game. Is there perhaps a step I am missing, or perhaps a conflict with another mod? The mods that come to mind as possible culprits for a conflict are Active Texture Management or EVE. I can see the scattering effect, though those lines in the sky are rampant, and gets even worse when flying above the atmosphere (such as during descent from a sub-orbital flight). Another strange issue I am having (that I received with KSPRC, as well) is a purple/pink box where the loading icon is supposed to be in the bottom right hand corner (I will post a screenshot of that issue, as well). Thank you for reading, and I hope for a quick solution!

Lines in Sky: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/88116

Pink Loading Box: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/88117

Hello. I am using this mod with KSP Version 1.0.2, with other mods installed as well, and when forcing OpenGL, I get strange, ugly lines in the sky (example in posted screenshot). When I try to run this without forcing OpenGL, I receive a crash to desktop when loading a game. Is there perhaps a step I am missing, or perhaps a conflict with another mod? The mods that come to mind as possible culprits for a conflict are Active Texture Management or EVE. I can see the scattering effect, though those lines in the sky are rampant, and gets even worse when flying above the atmosphere (such as during descent from a sub-orbital flight). Another strange issue I am having (that I received with KSPRC, as well) is a purple/pink box where the loading icon is supposed to be in the bottom right hand corner (I will post a screenshot of that issue, as well). Thank you for reading, and I hope for a quick solution!

Lines in Sky: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/88116

Pink Loading Box: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/88117

I'm not sure about compatibility issues, but force -OpenGL conflict is a known problem. It sounds like you're running too many mods to run without OpenGL though. I wish that it would work with force-OpenGL too but I'm not sure if it is a fix-able problem or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Avera9eJoe

It sounds like you're running too many mods to run without OpenGL though.

I suppose it might be a good time to take a look at my mods and determine which ones really are worth keeping around. Thank you for the reply, Avera9eJoe!

Those color banding lines in the sky always appear in KSP but never appear when I'm doing tests in unity. Is there a possibility that KSP is always running in 16bit color mode?

Edited by blackrack

I made a new version. Here are the main changes:

-Lowered memory usage (I expect your feedback on this)

-Added persistent settings

Settings can be saved with the save settings button or they get saved automtically when the scene is changed.

-EVE clouds are now visible in the sky (postprocessing still draws over them though)

-Added toggle aniso button for people who are still getting the lines in the sky when using OpenGL (if you don't have the bug don't use this, if this still doesn't fix the bug try disabling aniso if you have it forced from the drivers)

-Terrain should no longer be low-res

-Fixed some minor bugs

I know this isn't much of an update, but I haven't had much time for this. On the upside, adding multiple planets should be really easy.

That could be a possibility. You can see them clearly in the sky in my video. I'm not to sure.

Whatever is causing this is also causing the "blue ceiling" effect, in unity the transition is completely smooth but in KSP you can see an atmosphere line after a certain altitude.

Btw your profile image is the exact wallpaper I'm using right now.

Edited by blackrack

Could you update the date in the heading? It's making me so confused! :confused: lol

Oh and are you still planning on making the effects fade out from orbit? I'm not sure if you wanted to or not but one of my friends (who knows unity a lot more than I do) said it probably wasn't a too complicated procedure to do. I sure hope it isn't. :o

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Could you update the date in the heading? It's making me so confused! :confused: lol

Oh and are you still planning on making the effects fade out from orbit? I'm not sure if you wanted to or not but one of my friends (who knows unity a lot more than I do) said it probably wasn't a too complicated procedure to do. I sure hope it isn't. :o

But I updated the date.

It isn't hard at all, It would probably take 10 minutes to do but I'd want to make sure it looks good/consistent when it fades into EVE's haze, it'd probably have a few compatibility issues with EVE's haze too.

what?

But I updated the date.

It isn't hard at all, It would probably take 10 minutes to do but I'd want to make sure it looks good/consistent when it fades into EVE's haze, it'd probably have a few compatibility issues with EVE's haze too.

what?

Everything on my end could be removed/altered with a config change :) I'll probably end up shipping with two zip files: "stock" clouds+atmo pack, and plugins.

Everything on my end could be removed/altered with a config change :) I'll probably end up shipping with two zip files: "stock" clouds+atmo pack, and plugins.

Alright then, I'll look into this soon. I'll contact you if I need any help.

But I updated the date.

Oh XDD stupid me haha I got tripped up because month and day are swapped here in the states so it's "month-day-year" which by the way makes NO sense (except that it alphabetically sorts) what so ever! I also was confused because it's still the 14th over here in Washington state. :P

Cool! So you're still planning on that. I'm seriously debating starting my own texture pack. The only issue is that it would be using textures from Proot's renaissance pack as well so... I'm not going to be posting it anywhere. It would basically be a spin-off of Renaissance but with a few of my own part textures, planet textures, and cloud textures. And possibly sharing auroras with Astronomers pack if he ever gets around to updating that. The auroras are just about the only thing I like better in his pack (they go straight up out of the atmosphere rather than flat like cloud textures).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjWjgEALudjc3G528K_g6XxFqMnhI2ZSRpAzvLJZ_LAcvgbtI1

Downloading this now. I'll tell you how it goes. :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

OpenGL user here on a windows 8.1 64bit, KSP 1.02.

0.15 is for me way worse ;.;

- the terrain around KSC is altered in strange ways: Parts of the runway are under the terrain

- the sky is pitch black even at daytime

- a strange glowing ring around the craft with ~ 50-100m diameter

and if that's not enough I can't take screenshots of it,because everytime I try to take screenshot it shows me the KSC... duh :D:confused: though this isn't caused by this awesome mod!

OpenGL, Windows 7, KSP 1.02 | 32-bit

0.15 looks good here. Had to use the new button but the lines were gone afterwards :D

Everything ran smoothly except for a few issues:

1- Some pink textures around KSC and some parts, like Mk1-2 IVA (the whole panel is pink except for the screens/buttons)

2- When I'm really far away from the planet (almost reaching Mun SOI) I start seeing some artifacts in Kerbin (they look like several round ripples/circles around the planet)

3- Effect seem to be lagging behind in map view.

Other than that, everything seemed to be fine. Beautiful work =)

PS: I've used around 125~ mods with it and my memory usage kept below 2.8 gb, so good work there!

(If that link wasn't working)

2vvkeno.jpg

(the answer you are looking for is of course black magic, voodoo and other forms of geometry not yet discovered; wrought from my kickstrater fuelled pixelstick)

EDIT: The reflection in the window is the easter egg that gives away that this was a practical effect and not a photoshop job.

Edited by Errol

I've just done my first ride with the last version... I'm not a very reliable tester, since I'm working with a dx9 card and I use some other mods (PS, DOE, wip-EVE and TR)... but... but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-aA1X3WnE

Just wait to see my incoming imgur album... Yeah, yeah, this still has bugs and so on... But it's going in the right direction and the combo of this with the next EVE version will be mindblowing for the KSP players.