[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I just fixed the blending issues (look at the stars near the horizon), ignore the artifacts in lower left, these are caused by some stuff I'm testing for the reflected light.

JMrSRiC.jpg

Ceiling effect (non-smooth transition to space) is now also fixed

qmu7Z2W.jpg

I just fixed the blending issues (look at the stars near the horizon), ignore the artifacts in lower left, these are caused by some stuff I'm testing for the reflected light.

http://i.imgur.com/JMrSRiC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qmu7Z2W.jpg

Nice! Not to downplay the truly epicness of what you've already done, but. That looks a lot smoother than before. Keep it up man.

http://i.imgur.com/JMrSRiC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qmu7Z2W.jpg

Dude! Amazing!

Looks insanely good Blackrack!!

BTW, I've found a bug in the actual version, if you use it with Kopernicus mod. I'm not sure if comes from the Kopernicus particle system or if it is an issue caused by Scatterer's flare problems in the last version. I'll try to send you a pic ASAP.

Looks insanely good Blackrack!!

BTW, I've found a bug in the actual version, if you use it with Kopernicus mod. I'm not sure if comes from the Kopernicus particle system or if it is an issue caused by Scatterer's flare problems in the last version. I'll try to send you a pic ASAP.

Thanks, you could just post a screen and we'll see what it is.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it has been featured at some point earlier in it's development on monding mondays already.

It was featured on a twitter post before.

Edited by blackrack

When you are in the atmosphere and switch to map view, the sunlit side of Kerbin is solid blue. If you then turn/rotate view, a half-blue, half-black ball will be visible next to the planet. Is it intended or is something wrong?

When you are in the atmosphere and switch to map view, the sunlit side of Kerbin is solid blue. If you then turn/rotate view, a half-blue, half-black ball will be visible next to the planet. Is it intended or is something wrong?

From the OP:

Known issues of newest version:

-Map view lags behind and has issues with the effect covering the planet when on the ground

<snip>

Try to read at least 10 pages back and check the known issues section in the OP before posting

Sorry for the lateness... you know, RL.

Ok, this seems to be a bit random, so I could not do a better pic in this "round":

FJEI2Sk.jpg

Seems like scatterer's black texture is interfering with the particle system of Kopernicus mod (used in the sun). Could be a bug in the camera order, but I was thinking too that this could be a problem related to the blending issues in the last version. So if you fixed it, don't be worried for this. We will see if this remains in the next version.

PlanetShine also have this issue (without Scatterer), sorry for that, I'm aware of this bug but I will only fix it in the next big release of PlanetShine for which I am recoding almost everything, so it will take time.

Sorry for the lateness... you know, RL.

Ok, this seems to be a bit random, so I could not do a better pic in this "round":

http://i.imgur.com/FJEI2Sk.jpg

Seems like scatterer's black texture is interfering with the particle system of Kopernicus mod (used in the sun). Could be a bug in the camera order, but I was thinking too that this could be a problem related to the blending issues in the last version. So if you fixed it, don't be worried for this. We will see if this remains in the next version.

What is the exact problem? The sun rendering over the sky or the artifacts on the sun?

If it's the first it's definitely a render order issue, should be easy to fix but we'll have to see how the copernicus dev does things.

@Terrible Inclinations is that a photoshop in the first image or the new engine lighting mod?

I believe [thread=121987]this is[/thread] what you are looking for, it was in this week's [thread=123055]Modding Monday[/thread].

@Terrible Inclinations is that a photoshop in the first image or the new engine lighting mod?

engine lighting mod + ReShade (a pack of shaders not related to KSP). But I must warn this: if you don't have a high profile video card, effects are FPS eaters. Not worth it, IMHO.

What is the exact problem? The sun rendering over the sky or the artifacts on the sun?

If it's the first it's definitely a render order issue, should be easy to fix but we'll have to see how the copernicus dev does things.

I bet for the second. But I'm not realy sure. From the sun, sometimes, the black texture seem to crossbreed with the particles. In other occasions the flare appears displaced and the sun particles looks well (despite the black blending issue).

I managed to fix a problem where the water randomly disappears at some angles and when closing in on it so here's a little close-up:

D4NKAYi.jpg

(don't worry if the reflexion looks a little low-quality, I have it set to lowest quality so this laptop doesn't burn up)

There's still the problem with the water moving around but I'm working on it.

engine lighting mod + ReShade (a pack of shaders not related to KSP). But I must warn this: if you don't have a high profile video card, effects are FPS eaters. Not worth it, IMHO.

I bet for the second. But I'm not realy sure. From the sun, sometimes, the black texture seem to crossbreed with the particles. In other occasions the flare appears displaced and the sun particles looks well (despite the black blending issue).

I guess I'll have to test it out with kopernicus then.

Edited:

Also, with the new blending method stellar objects are visible in the sky even at 100% opacity.

This allows to see the moon without having to sacrifice the sky's color by loweing alpha to something like 70%, but it may also look somewhat unrealistic, as the dark portions of the moon shouldn't be visible at all.

JKnOBMQ.jpg

In later versions I could still roll it back to the old method for when on the ground if you guys think it looks better ( see this pic http://i.imgur.com/7Y2rjUI.jpg proot posted about 10-20 pages back for what the moon and the sky looked like with lowered atmosphere alpha).

If i'm not mistaken, new blending method should also have fixed the "space cuts to black after a certain altitude" bug some people were getting.

Edited by blackrack

I managed to fix a problem where the water randomly disappears at some angles and when closing in on it so here's a little close-up:

http://i.imgur.com/D4NKAYi.jpg

(don't worry if the reflexion looks a little low-quality, I have it set to lowest quality so this laptop doesn't burn up)

There's still the problem with the water moving around but I'm working on it.

I guess I'll have to test it out with kopernicus then.

Edited:

Also, with the new blending method stellar objects are visible in the sky even at 100% opacity.

This allows to see the moon without having to sacrifice the sky's color by loweing alpha to something like 70%, but it may also look somewhat unrealistic, as the dark portions of the moon shouldn't be visible at all.

http://i.imgur.com/JKnOBMQ.jpg

In later versions I could still roll it back to the old method for when on the ground if you guys think it looks better ( see this pic http://i.imgur.com/7Y2rjUI.jpg proot posted about 10-20 pages back for what the moon and the sky looked like with lowered atmosphere alpha).

Wait, Low quality??? I'm here, drooling for multiplanet, and you left us this marvelous!!!

From the stock sea to that "low quality"... light years of difference! the water shader is static or have surface's animation? It's configurable?

Sorry if I'm asking too much, but is simply awesome.

BTW I like the visible near bodies feature. Maybe with Planet Shine mod you can get the dark sides back.

Congrats man, huge step on.

Wait, Low quality??? I'm here, drooling for multiplanet, and you left us this marvelous!!!

From the stock sea to that "low quality"... light years of difference! the water shader is static or have surface's animation? It's configurable?

Sorry if I'm asking too much, but is simply awesome.

BTW I like the visible near bodies feature. Maybe with Planet Shine mod you can get the dark sides back.

Congrats man, huge step on.

Thanks a lot man.

The surface has animated waves, their speed and height is configurable. The water color is also configurable but the reflected color matches that of the sky and the sun has it's own reflexion. There are also some gridsize and resolution settings, these control the overall quality, I set those a little low so the reflection looks a bit blurry in my screen.

The ocean looks and moves similarly to the one in this video

but doesn't have that jarring tiling effect.

Let's just hope I can fix the few remaining problems with it.