[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

I managed to fix a problem where the water randomly disappears at some angles and when closing in on it so here's a little close-up:

http://i.imgur.com/D4NKAYi.jpg

(don't worry if the reflexion looks a little low-quality, I have it set to lowest quality so this laptop doesn't burn up)

There's still the problem with the water moving around but I'm working on it.

I guess I'll have to test it out with kopernicus then.

Edited:

Also, with the new blending method stellar objects are visible in the sky even at 100% opacity.

This allows to see the moon without having to sacrifice the sky's color by loweing alpha to something like 70%, but it may also look somewhat unrealistic, as the dark portions of the moon shouldn't be visible at all.

http://i.imgur.com/JKnOBMQ.jpg

In later versions I could still roll it back to the old method for when on the ground if you guys think it looks better ( see this pic http://i.imgur.com/7Y2rjUI.jpg proot posted about 10-20 pages back for what the moon and the sky looked like with lowered atmosphere alpha).

If i'm not mistaken, new blending method should also have fixed the "space cuts to black after a certain altitude" bug some people were getting.

Neato! Looks great! Regarding the Planetary bodies... I had thought about adding something to the scaled space bodies on a high-queue level (like clouds) that would allow "body-light" to "shine through" the shader... It would also be responsible for a distant-object like function as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot man.

The surface has animated waves, their speed and height is configurable. The water color is also configurable but the reflected color matches that of the sky and the sun has it's own reflexion. There are also some gridsize and resolution settings, these control the overall quality, I set those a little low so the reflection looks a bit blurry in my screen.

The ocean looks and moves similarly to the one in this video

but doesn't have that jarring tiling effect.

Let's just hope I can fix the few remaining problems with it.

What do the coasts look like? If you made the water translucent, We could use a terrain shader that colors the ocean floor based on depth to make the coasts turquoise and clear.

Thanks a lot man.

The surface has animated waves, their speed and height is configurable. The water color is also configurable but the reflected color matches that of the sky and the sun has it's own reflexion. There are also some gridsize and resolution settings, these control the overall quality, I set those a little low so the reflection looks a bit blurry in my screen.

I'm like:

17027037.jpg

:sticktongue:

E5YUtxg.jpg

I managed to fix a problem where the water randomly disappears at some angles and when closing in on it so here's a little close-up:

(don't worry if the reflexion looks a little low-quality, I have it set to lowest quality so this laptop doesn't burn up)

Edited:

Also, with the new blending method stellar objects are visible in the sky even at 100% opacity.

This allows to see the moon without having to sacrifice the sky's color by loweing alpha to something like 70%, but it may also look somewhat unrealistic, as the dark portions of the moon shouldn't be visible at all.

In later versions I could still roll it back to the old method for when on the ground if you guys think it looks better ( see this pic http://i.imgur.com/7Y2rjUI.jpg proot posted about 10-20 pages back for what the moon and the sky looked like with lowered atmosphere alpha).

If i'm not mistaken, new blending method should also have fixed the "space cuts to black after a certain altitude" bug some people were getting.

Is this even KSP anymore?! :D WOW!

Thanks a lot man.

Wait. So if I'm hearing this right, does that mean that the shoreline will have waves that move up and down along/through it? And not a flat rigid line of coast?!? That video semi-example looks absolutely amazing. I'm at a loss for words on this.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

And next do the Proland forests!

I am just kidding here of course. Seeing the scattering effect on your screenshots for the first time simply amazed me and the water is more than I ever hoped for in KSP.

Thank you for all the work and time you are putting into making this blackrack!

Christ, that's looking amazing.. doesn't even look like KSP any more, it's amazing to think that this is possible.

In answer to your question, I like the previous version (picture Proot posted).

Edited:

Well, holy [expletive] that looks amazing.

WOW this mod is truly beautiful, impressive job blackrack!

I found a compatibility problem with EVE though when you go over exactly 200km altitude there's some graphical glitches that appear. Did some testing on new install and this only occurs with EVE and Scatterer both installed.

This is what it looks like and it only happens 200km+:

ImmenseFlawedJapanesebeetle.gif

engine lighting mod + ReShade (a pack of shaders not related to KSP). But I must warn this: if you don't have a high profile video card, effects are FPS eaters. Not worth it, IMHO.

this is correct, reshade with master effect. bloom, lensflares, lens dirt cinematic filter that's about it, plus the engine light mod. Shader packs can be real resource hogs but in my experience if you stick mostly to lighting and color adjustments youre only giving up a few frames on most cards and zero if your card has any kick, its when you start to get into the ENB style depth of field and other heavy graphic effects that things start to really weigh on your card (you should see my skyrim install, that one gets my humble gtx 760 ready to explode) . KSP just doesn't have the demands to really tap on even more modest gpus, without the 64 bit workaround youre gonna cap your ram well before you have enough other things in the graphic pipleline to really tax the card. Maybe once unity 5 comes around we can really start lighting some video cards on fire :D

Those water effects are insane by the way, im assuming it sits on "top" of the vanilla water? I believe EVE has ocean transparency as an option, making the stock water "disappear" may be easier than spending time chasing down any fighting or clipping that may be caused by excessive camera movement. It sounds like you may have already fixed that though, was just a thought. Either way I cant wait to see it in game, ksp has some great mechanics under the hood but really needs these "pretty" mods, especially when you're over 300 hours in to it

PlanetShine also have this issue (without Scatterer), sorry for that, I'm aware of this bug but I will only fix it in the next big release of PlanetShine for which I am recoding almost everything, so it will take time.

Hmm, I never noticed this issue with PlanetShine. Maybe just missed it.

Have some eyecandy

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Wait. So if I'm hearing this right, does that mean that the shoreline will have waves that move up and down along/through it? And not a flat rigid line of coast?!? That video semi-example looks absolutely amazing. I'm at a loss for words on this.

Yes, although you won't be seeing waves changing shape and forming into foam as they approach the coast, it'll be more like waves clipping up and down the coast but it'll look good enough.

Good lord, dude. This is insane. I hope my laptop can run this when its all said and done.

My laptop (i3-U 1.8Ghz and gt 740m) cries with the ocean on but it's a pretty basic laptop.

WOW this mod is truly beautiful, impressive job blackrack!

I found a compatibility problem with EVE though when you go over exactly 200km altitude there's some graphical glitches that appear. Did some testing on new install and this only occurs with EVE and Scatterer both installed.

This is what it looks like and it only happens 200km+:

http://giant.gfycat.com/ImmenseFlawedJapanesebeetle.gif

Don't worry about this, it's well known that the 200km boundary causes lots of issues, it's where I switch the camera's clipping planes and it's a pretty bad idea. For the next version I have a different idea in mind but you'll have to wait.

Jeez, I wonder how Laythe would look with monster north seaish swells? If it knocks ships back and forth it certainly would make those ocean ore rigs a challenge to deploy.

Unfortunately the waves won't be interacting with the ships.

Neato! Looks great! Regarding the Planetary bodies... I had thought about adding something to the scaled space bodies on a high-queue level (like clouds) that would allow "body-light" to "shine through" the shader... It would also be responsible for a distant-object like function as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What do the coasts look like? If you made the water translucent, We could use a terrain shader that colors the ocean floor based on depth to make the coasts turquoise and clear.

I could definitely make it translucent and then post some screens here and we could all discuss it, once I get around to it.

Proots posts always get me.

Edited by blackrack