[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

46 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Make a detailed report and include screenshots.

Apologies. I don't have time today to provide tons of info, logs and screenshots, but shortly I will update this post with logs and a link to some screenshots. On further testing I was very surprised to see scatterer instantly appear again at 300km altitude. Standard reminder, I run win32, oceans disabled, OpenGL. I have RVE (which relies in EVE Overhaul) installed for the clouds and such.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ym5akkphqcig4qo/AACewltGzgatnUZxtdmV9pdMa?dl=0

http://imgur.com/a/BfJD5

Hopefully @Theysen or another regular RSS user can answer any follow-up questions or requests you might have, or confirm/deny that they see a similar issue.

Edited by stratochief66

1 hour ago, stratochief66 said:

Apologies. I don't have time today to provide tons of info, logs and screenshots, but shortly I will update this post with logs and a link to some screenshots. On further testing I was very surprised to see scatterer instantly appear again at 300km altitude. Standard reminder, I run win32, oceans disabled, OpenGL. I have RVE (which relies in EVE Overhaul) installed for the clouds and such.

Hopefully @Theysen or another regular RSS user can answer any follow-up questions or requests you might have, or confirm/deny that they see a similar issue.

I can confirm the behavior. 

Scatterer atmosphere stops at PQS/ScaledSpace change in RSS and remains invisible until ~ 300km above the surface. Tested on other bodies too and they behave similar. 

Testing environment was win32, dx9, and latest RSS version + scatterer. Switching the new 'Draw on atmo' feature didn't influence it. 

I can't confirm the missing sunflare on the ground though, this works for me.

54 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Scatterer atmosphere stops at PQS/ScaledSpace change in RSS and remains invisible until ~ 300km above the surface. Tested on other bodies too and they behave similar. 

Testing environment was win32, dx9, and latest RSS version + scatterer. Switching the new 'Draw on atmo' feature didn't influence it. 

I am getting a similar experience on linux with OGL obviously. Scatterer stops working when in ScaledSpace, which for me is above 120km, till 300km. Sunflare is missing in space, but present on the ground and I am getting the pink square following my vessel once I am above the atmosphere. Will update with some pics ASAP.

Spoiler

EDIT: Seems the sunflare isn't working at all at in OGL not even on the ground.

Edited by Svm420

9 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

7 hours ago, Theysen said:

6 hours ago, Svm420 said:

I am getting a similar experience on linux with OGL obviously. Scatterer stops working when in ScaledSpace, which for me is above 120km, till 300km. Sunflare is missing in space, but present on the ground and I am getting the pink square following my vessel once I am above the atmosphere. Will update with some pics ASAP.

Reveal hidden contents

EDIT: Seems the sunflare isn't working at all at in OGL not even on the ground.

2 hours ago, pingopete said:

My scattering is working in ScaledSpace using linux x64, but no sunflare.

EDIT: On trying with the new configs however I appear to also have no atmo in SS, trying again now 

For the scaledSpace issue, this should take care of it :https://mega.nz/#!eYRCXb5b!71N_-G6QMk3nk3SNu_CMFvv5z5wHUaoHi2YbQRKdUp4 let me know if any other complications come up.

The transition isn't smooth for RSS though and will have to be adjusted manually. Otherwise you could wait for me to go through with my idea of adding scattering to the EVE clouds shaders and make some RSS configs.

For the lens flare, it's working fine in OpenGL on my end, so maybe it's a linux thing. Nevertheless, I will try to change some things around and see if I can get it working.

KSP v1.0.5, Scatterer v0.023 (Godrays and terrain shadows off)

With the installation of the the latest version, my sun flare disappeared and the pesky pink square came back (repeatably on the exact same position on the launch pad, and often using the scroll wheel in Map Mode).  The flare still hasn't come back on restart.

FYI, the ocean texture was speckled (for want of a better term) during one game session but a restart solved the problem. FYI. https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2e5jl4nh5sv40y/Odd%20Ocean%20Texture.png?dl=0

Finally, if I deselect ocean shaders on the start screen, I get a complete lack of water.  Just like toggling the ocean from the Alt-F11 menu.  Is this the expected behaviour (i.e. it doesn't revert to stock water)?

Edited by Brigadier
Added links to pics.

DFrVUx9.jpg

Looked back 3-4 pages, didn't see anything about this... These bugs are really getting annoying. I'm pretty sure its an issue with the terrain shadows, disabling the terrain shadows make it go away... What's the cause of this? and how hard would it be to fix? What can I do (other than disable shadows) to fix this?

*edit* I have no idea how to embed an album... But here's the direct link

Edited by JT2227

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

For the scaledSpace issue, this should take care of it :https://mega.nz/#!eYRCXb5b!71N_-G6QMk3nk3SNu_CMFvv5z5wHUaoHi2YbQRKdUp4 let me know if any other complications come up.

The transition isn't smooth for RSS though and will have to be adjusted manually. Otherwise you could wait for me to go through with my idea of adding scattering to the EVE clouds shaders and make some RSS configs.

For the lens flare, it's working fine in OpenGL on my end, so maybe it's a linux thing. Nevertheless, I will try to change some things around and see if I can get it working.

I'm using OpenGL, and last time I checked, the lens flares didn't work, so it might not just be a linux thing.

4 hours ago, JT2227 said:

Looked back 3-4 pages, didn't see anything about this... These bugs are really getting annoying. I'm pretty sure its an issue with the terrain shadows, disabling the terrain shadows make it go away... What's the cause of this? and how hard would it be to fix? What can I do (other than disable shadows) to fix this?

(IIRC) That is a limit of the terrain shadows system implemented by Squad in Unity. The options are to either disable them, bump the quality up to max or possibly use DX11 or OpenGL.

4 hours ago, JT2227 said:

*edit* I have no idea how to embed an album... But here's the direct link

I answer this one every couple of days, so what GrugInAus said, the most effective fix is forcing dx11. Btw it's also posted in the beginning of this page.

2 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

I'm using OpenGL, and last time I checked, the lens flares didn't work, so it might not just be a linux thing.

Alright, but the weird thing is it works fine for me on OpenGL so not sure atm.

5 hours ago, Brigadier said:

KSP v1.0.5, Scatterer v0.023 (Godrays and terrain shadows off)

With the installation of the the latest version, my sun flare disappeared and the pesky pink square came back (repeatably on the exact same position on the launch pad, and often using the scroll wheel in Map Mode).  The flare still hasn't come back on restart.

FYI, the ocean texture was speckled (for want of a better term) during one game session but a restart solved the problem. FYI. https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2e5jl4nh5sv40y/Odd%20Ocean%20Texture.png?dl=0

Finally, if I deselect ocean shaders on the start screen, I get a complete lack of water.  Just like toggling the ocean from the Alt-F11 menu.  Is this the expected behaviour (i.e. it doesn't revert to stock water)?

For now you can put back the sunglare.shader file from the previous release.

For the disappearing water, it says in the menu you may have to restart your game when you change the option. I don't write these things for no reason you know.

Edited by blackrack

HNGGGGGG dat new shading technique

P.S. on a side not I found that with this latest version when flying in atmosphere coming back from map view break scatterer until next re vehicle re-launch? The whole world becomes a dark blue shade ?

EDIT: Wait what.. scatterer now works with RPM?! 

JQExnNV.png

Edited by pingopete

24 minutes ago, pingopete said:

HNGGGGGG dat new shading technique

P.S. on a side not I found that with this latest version when flying in atmosphere coming back from map view break scatterer until next re vehicle re-launch? The whole world becomes a dark blue shade ?

EDIT: Wait what.. scatterer now works with RPM?! 

Yeah I changed a bunch of stuff to make it work with camera and telescope mods :) won't work properly when the PQS is active though, the postprocessing shader will still cause wonkiness but the SS one should be fine.

Could you post some screens of the issue you're getting? I'll try to replicate it later.

Edited: that album is pretty much photorealistic.

Edited by blackrack

14 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Yeah I changed a bunch of stuff to make it work with camera and telescope mods :) won't work properly when the PQS is active though, the postprocessing shader will still cause wonkiness but the SS one should be fine.

Could you post some screens of the issue you're getting? I'll try to replicate it later.

Edited: that album is pretty much photorealistic.

Yeah I think the cloud fading on the horizon was the final touch :)

This is the bug in map view, sorry don't have one from pqs the the glitch affects both

hjv97al.png

1 minute ago, pingopete said:

Yeah I think the cloud fading on the horizon was the final touch :)

This is the bug in map view, sorry don't have one from pqs the the glitch affects both

Alright, check if it says "[Scatterer] Sky switched to local mode" in the debug pane or if any nullrefs start appearing.

57 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I meant the built-in KSP alt+f2 thingy

I've found quite a few of these but I think this was from before I switched to map

[EXC 19:24:27.935] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	scatterer.Core.fixDrawOrders ()
	scatterer.Core.Update ()

and

[LOG 19:24:34.329] [Scatterer] Core.OnDestroy() called

This might have been during the switch (sorry the file is massive)

[ERR 19:26:23.302] Input is null

In the debug log I found some like these though I think they may be EVE related:

[Log]: CloudsManager: CloudsPQS: (EarthCloudsMain) OnSphereActive

But also 

[Log]: [Scatterer] Sunflare: Loaded new transmittance table

Edited by pingopete

19 minutes ago, pingopete said:

0.234 + the latest .dll you posted.. oh just realised :S

Actually fixDrawOrders() is entirely removed as of 0.234. And 0.235 is just 0.234 with the .dll so don't bother if you already got it.

So really, I think you got the wrong output file. Unless I uploaded the wrong .dll, let me check.

Edited: It was indeed the right .dll but I just found another issue which may cause the scattering to draw under the clouds before the transition to scaledSpace is complete. Anyway, @pingopete check you have the right log file because that shouldn't appear.

Edited by blackrack

25 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Actually fixDrawOrders() is entirely removed as of 0.234. And 0.235 is just 0.234 with the .dll so don't bother if you already got it.

So really, I think you got the wrong output file. Unless I uploaded the wrong .dll, let me check.

Edited: It was indeed the right .dll but I just found another issue which may cause the scattering to draw under the clouds before the transition to scaledSpace is complete. Anyway, @pingopete check you have the right log file because that shouldn't appear.

Ok, also weirdest new development; with the bug occuring after map view, toggling the interface with f2 fixes the effect, only to revert to being broken when I bring the in game interface back up?! So weird lol

VmowJXL.png

8zG9NsW.png