[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

scatterer_dunacircle.jpg

What's that arc spanning across the screen, and is there anything i can do about it?

That's Scatterer v0.0540 on KSP1.7.3, by means of installing SVE & TVE through CKAN. This is what I see on the default configuration as it came out of the box. I'm totally unfamiliar with visual mods, first time I'm using any of them. I'm not even sure that the arc is due to scatterer... and I don't know where to start looking.

Edited by Laie

On 12/13/2019 at 8:23 PM, Laie said:

scatterer_dunacircle.jpg

What's that arc spanning across the screen, and is there anything i can do about it?

That's Scatterer v0.0540 on KSP1.7.3, by means of installing SVE & TVE through CKAN. This is what I see on the default configuration as it came out of the box. I'm totally unfamiliar with visual mods, first time I'm using any of them. I'm not even sure that the arc is due to scatterer... and I don't know where to start looking.

You can minimize it, but it will still be there. It's a Scatterer issue with Duna that is a very small planet with a lot of relief.

When you minimize it can see another similar artefact, a sort of line without any scattering.

View post on imgur.com

Hey @blackrack I'm having this issue where when closer then 160,000 m away from a celestial body the globe scale and atmo scale defualt to some value that i haven't seen or used somewhat like the altitude point system but with a 100% threshold Here are some examples
Under 160,000m : https://gyazo.com/b76b4f56f9b79bbbfabb6b16bec80b52
and over 160,000m : https://gyazo.com/f533235e20d88e50fc827744ab914cc8
I've dramatize the atmo effects to better represent the issue
Thanks - Legion

Edited by LegionDzn

On 3/18/2019 at 8:49 PM, blackrack said:

@Gameslinx Were you playing with the new mk2 lander can doors when this happenned? It seems there is a big bug when activating them that kills most of the scatterer effects. I will investigate...

It seems that this DragCubeSystem starts removing my commandbuffers and scripts from the cameras when the door in mk2 lander can is activated.

Hello everyone, it appears I am currently dealing with the same issue as the one @blackrack evoked: whenever I open the Mk2 Lander Can's doors, the game freezes down to about 2/3 FPS, plus all Scatterer effects disappear, then it all comes back to normal when the animation finishes. It occurs only when Scatterer is loaded, so I guess it is related to it, even though the problem is noticeable in space or any other places without atmosphere (where I thought this mod had no influence).

I have been looking for a solution for several days now, but it seems I won't find any.. Have you guys found any workaround? Thank you :)

Here are the error messages displayed in the command line: https://pastebin.com/EHvKHWQZ. I am using the 1.8.1.2694 Linux version of KSP and Scatterer 0.0541.

I gave the log file in the first message, at least the meaningful part of it, since those Exception and Error messages get repeated over and over. Here is the full log: https://pastebin.com/56gPfvfy. I tested different configurations, between the following mods: EVE, SVE, Scatterer, ModuleManager (necessary to run EVE, SVE and Scatterer all at once...), this is all I have in my GameData folder, and I have no "mod" folder. I encounter different possibilities:

• Without Scatterer everything works as expected (regardless what other mods are loaded);
  • With Scatterer and without ModuleManager, the problem is much less visible: the game completely freezes for a very tiny instant, 2 or 3 times during the animation;
  • Any other combination with Scatterer and ModuleManager results in what I described in my last message: the game completely freezes for a longer moment, many times during the animation.

Ooof, you may want to take a few pics of your gamedata and what version your running. It may be a install issue.

I had almost the same error. The solar panels lagged my game a lot and didn't produce power. 

I fixed it by checking my gamedata folder and reinstalling/fixing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a small help.

Can somebody tell me what is going on here ?     Yesterday it was looking normal.  All I did today was installed the Sunflare from stock Suns of Maar. 

I am using AVP with EVE and Scatterer and KSP3P.  

Was doing some TSHOOT.  As soon as I remove Scatterer it will look normal.  As soon as I keep scatterer but remove AVP it will look normal.   So looks like some config in AVP  is not working with scatterer ? 

6xhz4rK.jpg

cgoB9Rp.jpg

33 minutes ago, Delay said:

Oh come on, is a semi 8-bit KSP really that bad?

Okay, so the game runs as expected when either one of the two mods is removed?

Yeah it is fun :D  Looks my PC is some old Comodore 8 bit :D

And yeah as soon as I remove either AVP or Scatterer all is fine.  

28 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

try to find the config with scatter in the file itself. Or reinstall both mods...

Well I reinstalled both mods today a few times already.

Looks like I will need to re-install whole KSP1.8.1 again.   And will try to install all mods one by one.   But first I will start with visual ones to see which one is the culprit if I will have the same issue after total reinstall.

Edited by Jovzin

1 minute ago, Jovzin said:

Well I reinstalled both mods today a few times already.

Have you tried removing the sun flares?
If everything looked fine yesterday (without them) I suspect they might be the actual culprit.

Edited by Delay

Sorry for double post.

So the culprit is KSP3P  addon. 

I do not know how it brake or something. As i am using that patch version of KSP3P I found here on the forums with that AVP config.    Will need to check again what happened as I am not aware that I was changing something in KSP3P configuration at all.    

Edited by Jovzin

On 1/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, Jovzin said:

I need a small help.

Can somebody tell me what is going on here ?     Yesterday it was looking normal.  All I did today was installed the Sunflare from stock Suns of Maar. 

I am using AVP with EVE and Scatterer and KSP3P.  

Was doing some TSHOOT.  As soon as I remove Scatterer it will look normal.  As soon as I keep scatterer but remove AVP it will look normal.   So looks like some config in AVP  is not working with scatterer ? 

6xhz4rK.jpg

cgoB9Rp.jpg

That looks so cool :D

On 12/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, LegionDzn said:

Hey @blackrack I'm having this issue where when closer then 160,000 m away from a celestial body the globe scale and atmo scale defualt to some value that i haven't seen or used somewhat like the altitude point system but with a 100% threshold Here are some examples
Under 160,000m : https://gyazo.com/b76b4f56f9b79bbbfabb6b16bec80b52
and over 160,000m : https://gyazo.com/f533235e20d88e50fc827744ab914cc8
I've dramatize the atmo effects to better represent the issue
Thanks - Legion

I'm guessing you are using a visual pack but a different scatterer version than the one for that pack, and so, the config is broken.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:15 PM, hanhan658 said:

Nothing major here, but what bothers me is that scatterer makes the skybox visible only outside of the atmosphere, even at night. Can this be "fixed" by making the atmosphere more transparent to the skybox?

This isn't something that scatterer does, you're supposed to see through the atmosphere. Unless you modified some of the sky extinction values, try with a stock install + stock scatterer to see if the issue goes away?

On 12/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, Loutr_ said:

Hello everyone, it appears I am currently dealing with the same issue as the one @blackrack evoked: whenever I open the Mk2 Lander Can's doors, the game freezes down to about 2/3 FPS, plus all Scatterer effects disappear, then it all comes back to normal when the animation finishes. It occurs only when Scatterer is loaded, so I guess it is related to it, even though the problem is noticeable in space or any other places without atmosphere (where I thought this mod had no influence).

I have been looking for a solution for several days now, but it seems I won't find any.. Have you guys found any workaround? Thank you :)

Here are the error messages displayed in the command line: https://pastebin.com/EHvKHWQZ. I am using the 1.8.1.2694 Linux version of KSP and Scatterer 0.0541.

I'm aware of this issue but I haven't really investigated it. If you find a workaround let me know.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:50 PM, Arco123 said:

I'm wonder about the near-clip override setting. What do the values mean? It doesn't seem to do anything. I do know it deceases the near clip tho.

Read here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/properties/adjust-view-clipping-in-scenes.htm

Overriding the near clip place allows the camera to get closer to objects without them appearing to be "sliced" but may negatively affect depth buffer precision and shadows precision (may cause flicker issues, z-fighting etc...). The setting isn't really needed for scatterer anymore, but typically builders still use this setting to get the camera closer to what they're building in the VAB/SPH, I may make it a separate mod that only works in these scenes.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:29 AM, Miza said:

Is this still compatible with RSS on 1.7.3? I copied the config and followed the instructions, but it doesn't work in game and the ocean's all gone. 

You'll have to take this to the RSS thread.

Also, new cover art:

ceKm0WY.jpg

Which is a quick photoshop job of the painting "wanderer above the sea of fog" but I'm happy with how it came out

71dLtt7UHDL.jpg

4 hours ago, blackrack said:

The setting isn't really needed for scatterer anymore, but typically builders still use this setting to get the camera closer to what they're building in the VAB/SPH, I may make it a separate mod that only works in these scenes

Please keep for the flight scene as well. Here's the discussion that brought Arco123 here to ask his question

2 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Please keep for the flight scene as well. Here's the discussion that brought Arco123 here to ask his question

I see. Can anyone confirm it still works? Also can you confirm the setting isn't needed for scatterer itself anymore but useful outside? That way I can split it off into a separate mode and add options like build only, build+flight

2 hours ago, Arco123 said:

completely unrelated. Why isn't the skybox working. I have texture replacer and AVP installed?

Please make a full issue report, look in the OP for how to report issues.

Just now, blackrack said:

I see. Can anyone confirm it still works? Also can you confirm the setting isn't needed for scatterer itself anymore but useful outside? That way I can split it off into a separate mode and add options like build only, build+flight

Please make a full issue report, look in the OP for how to report issues.

I'll do it soon once I get back from school. 

It doesn't work from what I tested. In fact it seems to increase and cause a lot of bugs. setting it to 0 is not a good idea and any other settings don't do much or nothing at all. I'll try to give you a log and stuff and report my skybox issue soon.