[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

11 hours ago, aristizabal951 said:

Hi guys! So I just tested the unofficial version of scatterer for 1.9 and works just as the original did on previous versions. Great!!! That being said, I'm experiencing some weird visual behaviors I also had from previous versions. I know this was previously discussed, but I wasn't able to find the specific comment talking about this.

The "bug" I'm experiencing is that some of the planets look kind of transparent! Searching through this topic I found a photo from blackrack from 2015 that seems to also show this same visual glitch! Here's the quoted image

Some of you may be able to see some halos inside the planet. This are from the center of the planet and are visible all the time once scatterer is running. I've seen this too on Jool and Eve I think.

Here's a video I just made showing this effect on Duna. It's not that easy to see, but you may find the same halos inside Duna always showing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

These are issues with the precomputed atmosphere scattering files. I have no fix for it, apart from trying to generate an atmosphere multiple times and "getting lucky" with values that don't cause this.

I however consider it mild enough that I have to say it's pretty low on my priority list.

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

These are issues with the precomputed atmosphere scattering files. I have no fix for it, apart from trying to generate an atmosphere multiple times and "getting lucky" with values that don't cause this.

I however consider it mild enough that I have to say it's pretty low on my priority list.

Ah, not something in my realm then.  I guess don't bother opening a bug on my page then, sorry.  Some things just are outside my skill set.

I installed the pre-release scatterer and EVE last night.  Here's my report:

1. works great on Kerbin, zero issues.
2. went to laythe.  took a VTOL spaceplane down to around 1200m ASL along the equator looking for a nice spot to put a base.  Terrain textures all ran together.  set down in the ocean because it was indistinguishable from the land... fixed that, planted a flag, quicksaved with F5.  Took off and forgot that Laythe and Kerbin have similar gravity, so crashed.  F9 to reload the save.  Departed successfully, and noticed that after the F5/F9 load, Laythe's terrain looked correct, which is kind of the important piece of information here.

I haven't looked at the other atmosphered planets yet since installing the pre-release, but.. you should be able to replicate my experiment by simply running a mission from Kerbin to Laythe and having a look in the same way I did.  KSPIE or Hyperedit will be required to duplicate it unless you have a lot of time ;)

50 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Took off and forgot that Laythe and Kerbin have similar gravity, so crashed. 

So Kebal of you ss8913 ...   :)

As for myself, just patiently awaiting a fix, only thing I have is clouds going to basically shadow only at times ...

I'm sure we'll  get this all ironed out in time for 1.9x  hehehe ...

17 hours ago, ss8913 said:

2. went to laythe.  took a VTOL spaceplane down to around 1200m ASL along the equator looking for a nice spot to put a base.  Terrain textures all ran together.  set down in the ocean because it was indistinguishable from the land... fixed that, planted a flag, quicksaved with F5.  Took off and forgot that Laythe and Kerbin have similar gravity, so crashed.  F9 to reload the save.  Departed successfully, and noticed that after the F5/F9 load, Laythe's terrain looked correct, which is kind of the important piece of information here.

I haven't looked at the other atmosphered planets yet since installing the pre-release, but.. you should be able to replicate my experiment by simply running a mission from Kerbin to Laythe and having a look in the same way I did.  KSPIE or Hyperedit will be required to duplicate it unless you have a lot of time ;)

Hmmm...  as I haven't even made it to Duna yet (#kerbalconfessions, almost there of course), I'm going to have to test that using cheats probably.  Which does not appear to be working to replicate.  It may be a driver level issue or something.

Do you have a log file you could upload?  Anything obviosuly strange in it may help me.

It also may be fixed in the shader update that I am about to drop.  It's possible.  Watch for it today in my thread of unoffical releases in addon--releases.

Edited by R-T-B

27 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Hmmm...  as I haven't even made it to Duna yet (#kerbalconfessions, almost there of course), I'm going to have to test that using cheats probably.  Which does not appear to be working to replicate.  It may be a driver level issue or something.

Do you have a log file you could upload?  Anything obviosuly strange in it may help me.

It also may be fixed in the shader update that I am about to drop.  It's possible.  Watch for it today in my thread of unoffical releases in addon--releases.

18 hours ago, ss8913 said:

In this case I think it's better to ask for video/screenshots of the issue

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

In this case I think it's better to ask for video/screenshots of the issue

It could be that would be useful as well.  I'm thinking it could be a change I made in EVE though.  That's why logs may be useful.

3 hours ago, schwank said:

The engine plumes have the clouds way below showing through them. 

This will happen even in stock+EVE (just not as noticeable since stock engine plumes have very little light).  You need my patched eve, available in my thread.  It's an eve bug.

3 hours ago, schwank said:

I think we should just wait for the real version. It's cool that you offered this but there's a but of lack of quality control on this one. Unless I'm mistaken. Thanks

That's a legit option too, of course.  But it won't fix the eve bug...  still, you are correct.  My versions are bleeding edge, intended to support blackrack with bug reports.  They aren't perfect, and don't pretend to be.

Edited by R-T-B

13 hours ago, R-T-B said:

This will happen even in stock+EVE (just not as noticeable since stock engine plumes have very little light).  You need my patched eve, available in my thread.  It's an eve bug.

That's a legit option too, of course.  But it won't fix the eve bug...  still, you are correct.  My versions are bleeding edge, intended to support blackrack with bug reports.  They aren't perfect, and don't pretend to be.

the version you've provided works better than the latest official though, which doesn't work on 1.9.1 really at all, so I'm going to keep using your builds until the official one drops :)  thanks for providing them!

16 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Ok thank you sorry for the salt I was trying to take screen shots after a bottle of wine and ranted haha

Good job on the efforts!

23 hours ago, schwank said:

but there's a but of lack of quality control on this one.

I've had way too many warnings from the forum moderators to post my reply to that slap to the face.

Why don't you just give him a kick in the groin for good measure?

4 hours ago, schwank said:

Ok thank you sorry for the salt I was trying to take screen shots after a bottle of wine and ranted haha

Good job on the efforts!

Hey, it's all good.  I push out the fixes as soon as I get them, untested often times.  I can see how some people might percieve that as a "lack of quality control"

We get there in the end though.

21 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I've had way too many warnings from the forum moderators to post my reply to that slap to the face.

Why don't you just give him a kick in the groin for good measure?

No need for that.  I'm chill with criticism.

I will grab screens of just the launch pad etc. in flight and space center mode tonight and hopefully remember to post them before bed.  I figured out what caused my last bug with shadows, and it has to do with physics range extended.  Not with Scatterer.  So now that I know that I turned it off....... suddenly the jitter on the vab during launch (and all around the shore line at times) is no longer present.  However a strange bug DOES happen if you turn on accurate sky reflections and don't have anti aliasing on..................... it throws a log error repeating operation null, dropping fps to 1 then releasing until you get to the dark side of the planet.  Only way it stopped was on the dark side of the planet, far enough from Kerbin, and after I turned on AA.  My frame rate went up by 5, not down........... so I was impressed.  lol  Edit: to clarify, the null error says something about a null reference and a line or two I can't remember then the important one saying "something" to the effect of ocean's needing AA to work...................... turned off aa again, and reloaded the game with the accurate sky reflections off, and it didn't happen...... back on it did.  Then turned on both that and AA and it works.  The 2k views......................... are breathtakingly real.  I do get a slightly out of place sunset line at sharp angles however.  When viewing from the day/night border into day side.... if zoomed out a little so you see almost all of Kerbin, but just a small section of the north and south missing I get sunset where it should be noon.  Not something I care about, but for your own future reference....... maybe that's E.V.E or perhaps sunflares however?  Or spectra?

Edited by StoneWolfPC
forgot something in this

So, I finally got my large space dock into orbit, and after I add a new power plant to it (lithium station keeping engines need a TON of power, apparently), I will then start construction of my IXS Enterprise warp ship with two OP lander shuttles.

Then I will be able to quickly test other planets from flight as well as atmospheric transitions by sending down an away team. Without any outright cheating (aside from the insanely OP electric engines on my shuttle pods.)

I think I'll get some video for fun and posterity, but also to record any bugs I might see.

so I finally figured out what was going on with Laythe.. the water is.. disappearing.  You'll be flying along and then boom no water.  F5/F9 fixes it but it seems to *only happen on laythe* ... then again there's only water on 3 planets.. and I haven't spent nearly as much time on Eve because it is a terrible place.  This never seems to happen on Kerbin at all, though.  I go to Laythe pretty often, I'll see if there's any logs, but when I did a quick check last night, there was nothing relevant :(

Is there a setting I can change to change what I'm getting?

in orbit, kerbin, 125000m up, outside view of ship I only "See" the shadows of clouds, except at the edges of my screen, which moves, meaning it's a rendering thing (to me anyhow, may be incorrect) 

I't like in a cone/vield of view looking at the ship, if I move around I can tell where it ends, and then one sees the clouds and their shadows, not just the shadow layer.

Thx gang.

Ok everyone, I fixed flickering on the regular shadows, and managed to fix long-distance shadows (although they still need a bit more tweaking and polish), these were the main issues for me with 1.9.

I still have some other things to add and a few other issues I want to fix before releasing, but a release will come soon, probably before the end of next week.

5 hours ago, RW-1 said:

Is there a setting I can change to change what I'm getting?

in orbit, kerbin, 125000m up, outside view of ship I only "See" the shadows of clouds, except at the edges of my screen, which moves, meaning it's a rendering thing (to me anyhow, may be incorrect) 

I't like in a cone/vield of view looking at the ship, if I move around I can tell where it ends, and then one sees the clouds and their shadows, not just the shadow layer.

Thx gang.

I don't really understand what you mean, but cloud shadows are part of EVE, so maybe try the EVE thread.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:26 PM, JKerman said:

I'm getting these blue halos around lights, how do I get rid of them?

I had a fix for these but for some reason those lights override my fix. What you can do is modify the config for the lowest configPoint in your scatterer atmosphere and increase the postProcessingDepth to something like 0.4 or 0.8, should hide it.

18 hours ago, Arco123 said:

@blackrack Just wondering what the performance increases might be with the one camera mode and the pause button. I assume it must be better. 

You know, my own impression is that performance is better, however when I tried to compare the two, I found lower CPU usage but higher GPU usage in 1.9 , so performance increase might depend on which one is bottlenecking.

I should try to run a side by side test after lowering the terrain shader quality on 1.9 to match what is on 1.8.