[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

12 hours ago, blackrack said:

I see what you're trying to make but the sunflare system isn't really appropriate for this, what you need is to render a mesh around the sun in the scaledSpace layer so it looks coherent and gets occluded correctly by objects, while the sunflare system renders on top of everything in the nearest camera.

I know thats what i probably should do, But i am absolutely terrible at coding. :P 

I did not find this in the know issue section so I am going to report it. Maybe someone else did it before...

Is it normal for the ocean to flicker heavily (Z Buffer fighting/clipping) mostly visible near coastline but sometimes right in the middle of a landmass? Using default Scatterer 0.246 settings in DX9 or DX11 mode...

11 minutes ago, Galenmacil said:

I did not find this in the know issue section so I am going to report it. Maybe someone else did it before...

Is it normal for the ocean to flicker heavily (Z Buffer fighting/clipping) mostly visible near coastline but sometimes right in the middle of a landmass? Using default Scatterer 0.246 settings in DX9 or DX11 mode...

Do you have any screenshots?

Here are the two images showing the glitch. Note that this happen for about one frame or two. Very apparent when zoom in, zooming out or rotating the view quickly.

First image is normal, second is glitched.

I tried a few things in the nVidia control panel. Toggling triple buffering, toggling anisotropic filtering and filtering quality, tried single GPU and multi-GPU rendering without effect. Then, I noticed something unusual: When the frame rate stays constant below 50 FPS, the glitching is not present. If it goes above it, even at 51, it starts to shows. At constant 100+ FPS it is a big visual breaker. Could the drawing of the ocean be limited to 50 FPS? Just a thought...

Edited by Galenmacil

@blackrack I am trying to recreate the atmosphere on Venus as seen in the Venera photos, I am wondering how to bring the scattering in closer so it is more apparent. I have tried a few things but nothing seems to do what I want, also the how to change the tint of the scatter? Second picture is actual photo (probably brightened)

O4SVfXj.png

ajX78MS.jpg

Not certain if this is a bug, known issue, or a feature I'm just too dumb to recognize, but this has been happening relatively often since 246:

bbBBZPY.jpg

Before

EbNjKZw.jpg

After (Dark Phase)

The "dark phase" lasts approximately 5-10 seconds, then goes back to the "before" state. It typically happens ~100km, but can occur at greater and lesser altitudes as well. Camera angle doesn't appear relevant; the phenomenon will happen and resolve itself even from a fixed camera position. I'm curious if this isn't Longitude related, but haven't had the time to investigate extensively.

Here's my current Scatterer settings. Most features have been disabled.

YyWUrEZ.png

Other installed mods include EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements and MechJeb, though it seems unlikely the latter should have any impact. Running KSP_x64 in OpenGL under Windows 7.

All in all it's a relatively minor quirk, easily overlooked, but if there's a way to prevent or correct it, that'd be nice too. :)

Okay, I take back what I said. Camera position, or more specifically, magnification appears to be the culprit. Here are two screenshots where I have only slightly altered the zoom level with my mouse scroll wheel:

QPTQDWI.jpg

Before

bPY2mxu.jpg

After

It would seem the further I zoom out the camera, the more likely for this darkening effect to occur. And once I discover the threshold, I can correct this by simply zooming in a bit closer.

Again, if this is a known issue, my apologies.

I just realized that there is no custom sunflares on my screenshots. Ingame all looking good, but when I hit F1, flare blinks for a second (probably time to save SS). Log shows nothing unusual at all, but I can provide it if needed. With previous version of scatterer everything works fine.

2 hours ago, dawidpotok said:

I just realized that there is no custom sunflares on my screenshots. Ingame all looking good, but when I hit F1, flare blinks for a second (probably time to save SS). Log shows nothing unusual at all, but I can provide it if needed. With previous version of scatterer everything works fine.

Can confirm this. Flare not visible when taking screenshot with F1.

Update: so after a bit of trial and error, I believe I may have fixed my problem. I went into the config settings for Kerbin and changed "drawOverCloudsAltitude" from 100000 to 1000000. There seems to be slightly more aliasing around the edge of the planet, but otherwise my issues with Kerbin going dark have vanished.

On 5/18/2016 at 3:50 PM, dawidpotok said:

On 5/18/2016 at 6:46 PM, Galenmacil said:

Can confirm this. Flare not visible when taking screenshot with F1.

The sunflare shader does not work with the F1 screenshot feature when you use super-sampling (or it might be at all... I'm not sure). 

13 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

The sunflare shader does not work with the F1 screenshot feature when you use super-sampling (or it might be at all... I'm not sure). 

You jus made me go back and check all my screenshots..It works fine for me with 8x super sampling... sDaZe has the same issue.

Edited by Berlin

41 minutes ago, Berlin said:

y8mU1RI.png

just had to double check. and seems to be working... it is strange.

That image is 1600x900, I don't think that's 8x supersampled :P Unless you have a really really really tiny screen resolution 

19 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

That image is 1600x900, I don't think that's 8x supersampled :P Unless you have a really really really tiny screen resolution 

well I override the settings in NVidia control panel. I didn't even consider my screen resolution..as you  were

26 minutes ago, Berlin said:

well I override the settings in NVidia control panel. I didn't even consider my screen resolution..as you  were

The F1 super sampling is done through the settings.cfg file for KSP which causes the issue of the sunflare not showing.

3 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

The F1 super sampling is done through the settings.cfg file for KSP which causes the issue of the sunflare not showing.

I know this all to well ;.;

8 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

well I guess ill just leave everything alone and enjoy my screenshots lol

18 minutes ago, Berlin said:

well I guess ill just leave everything alone and enjoy my screenshots lol

But with this setting screenshots are taken in game resolution multiplied by supersampling factor. Other words: they are really huge and detailed.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:37 AM, blackrack said:

I think if the flare were to stay the same size and fade in brightness it would look quite weird. I think a better idea would be to keep the scaling but make it non-linear or change how much it scales by distance to the sun and make the gradient configurable. What do you think?

For the second one, maybe adjust the extinction?

Ah yeah you're right it would probably look weird, non-liniar scaling sounds like a much better idea.