[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

The above bug is an EVE bug.  I will advise the author.

In particular, this line here is causing it.  The render queue for those clouds is too high:

bug.png

In the meantime, I have a working build of EVE that integrates nicely with my scatterer.  I won't openly distribute it, but if you PM me and promise to send reports to me and not the author, I might share it with you.  Hopefully we'll have an official update of some kind soon.

Source for my pull request will be up shortly.

Edited by R-T-B

On 3/27/2020 at 6:34 AM, RagingNerd said:

Mind helping me through the process of making it look like a real atmosphere?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. The pale blue is just what appears when I launch the game.

Someone posted some real views of the Earth from Space a few pages back after your previous comment about the milky atmosphere.  You might want to check those out.  Long story short, Scatterer is actually pretty close to the real atmosphere (note, as mentioned above, Kerbin in the main menu is slightly more saturated then the ingame version).

Hello all.

Unreleated to Scatterer, but as a lot of us using scatterer are using other visual mods relating to lighting, etc, I thought I'd make you al aware I have made a patched branch of the above EVE buggy source.  It logs itself differently, so the author will know I made/built/patched it.  Source is on my girhub here, releases there as well.  Same license as standard EVE.

It fixes the "Rocket plume blending with and intensely lighting clouds" bug that some of you thought was a scatterer bug.  Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it, and am providing this until my bug report to the author is accepted.

Download at Github here: https://github.com/R-T-B/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

Or at my server here:  http://glacialsoftware.net/ScattererBuilds/PATCHED_EVE_BUILDS/

Remember, bug reports to me for these builds, no one else.  I'll be sure they get to the right people (and/or, fix my own issues, lol).

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Hello all.

Unreleated to Scatterer, but as a lot of us using scatterer are using other visual mods relating to lighting, etc, I thought I'd make you al aware I have made a patched branch of the above EVE buggy source.  It logs itself differently, so the author will know I made/built/patched it.  Source is on my girhub here, releases there as well.  Same license as standard EVE.

It fixes the "Rocket plume blending with and intensely lighting clouds" bug that some of you thought was a scatterer bug.  Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it, and am providing this until my bug report to the author is accepted.

Download at Github here: https://github.com/R-T-B/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases

Or at my server here:  http://glacialsoftware.net/ScattererBuilds/PATCHED_EVE_BUILDS/

Remember, bug reports to me for these builds, no one else.  I'll be sure they get to the right people (and/or, fix my own issues, lol).

Wow, many thanks! I've seen you posting up a storm recently and it looks like you are not only looking into, but also providing solutions and even builds for the bugs you are finding! I'd say you live up to your profile picture, mister bug-squasher :)

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Hello all.

Nice one...like you said once you see it you can't un see it :D thx for this quick fix

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Wow, many thanks! I've seen you posting up a storm recently and it looks like you are not only looking into, but also providing solutions and even builds for the bugs you are finding! I'd say you live up to your profile picture, mister bug-squasher :)

The Frog Persona comes from techpowerup, where I built it up acting as a frog-journalist hybrid for many years before going partially insane and doing what I do now:  a lot of nothing.  Good free time though.

I have other builds and bugfixes (like a 1.9.1 ready Principia) but I try to get a hold of the authors first if they seem remotely present (and Principias are).  Don't want to look like a turf-stealer or something.

Thanks all. :)

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

As long as the OP's are fine with it, you are doing a great load of assistance to them. :D

That's my goal is to make pull requests that help them.  I don't have the single-track focus to keep a up a single longterm project, really.  Tried it before and I eventually go all ADHD-like taking on something else and abandoning my old thing everyone wants, coding-wise.

But glad I'm helpful for now, lol.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi @R-T-B :D ! I would like to make a question. I have personalized sunflares, that i've made, and before 1.9, i used to put the flares in Scaterrer sunflare folder with the same name of the file, and it automatically changed in the game, but now i can't with your build, do you have any idea of why is this happening ? and how can i fix that ? Thanks :D.

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Hello all.

Unrelated to Scatterer, but as a lot of us using scatterer are using other visual mods relating to lighting, etc, I thought I'd make you al aware I have made a patched branch of the above EVE buggy source.  It logs itself differently, so the author will know I made/built/patched it.  Source is on my github here, releases there as well.  Same license as standard EVE.

The github file you inserted doesn't provide a working download. Whenever I click on it to download it, it says "File is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous." Is there any way to fix this, or is it actually an issue with the file?

22 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

The github file you inserted doesn't provide a working download.

It sure does, both links work fine.

20 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

"File is not commonly downloaded and may be dangerous."

There's nothing wrong with @R-T-Bs files, that warning is from your system. It's likely some "malware protection" (scarequotes intended) in your browser. Nothing anyone can do about it but you.

48 minutes ago, steve_v said:

It sure does, both links work fine.

There's nothing wrong with @R-T-Bs files, that warning is from your system. It's likely some "malware protection" (scarequotes intended) in your browser. Nothing anyone can do about it but you.

It's odd, for sure, that it would ever trigger a false positive.  Maybe "Eve" shares a name with something malware-esque.  Who knows?  Antimalware can be really dumb sometimes.

What antimalware, so I can at least file a false positive report?

I'd say you may have something else going on as...  I mean I've never seen such a clean virustotal, honestly:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/11c9a90d46927f7dc0057b7399d70a721801ad66b655a93696e8b4ae46388ff2/detection

1 hour ago, Gabriel B said:

Hi @R-T-B :D ! I would like to make a question. I have personalized sunflares, that i've made, and before 1.9, i used to put the flares in Scaterrer sunflare folder with the same name of the file, and it automatically changed in the game, but now i can't with your build, do you have any idea of why is this happening ? and how can i fix that ? Thanks :D.

It's not loading third party sunflares from the sunflare folder?  Huh?  That's certainly a bug.

KSP log file from your KSP directory root please, it will help me see what's happening (grab it right after you try to do the correct sunflares).

Also a link to the sunflares you want to use could be helpful.

Edited by R-T-B

2 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

You'll have to ask @alberro+ that one I'm afraid, I don't touch the stuff myself.
It sounds like chrome's download protection whatchamacallit to me, I did hear something about a "strict" setting that prompts for any archive or executable not on some kind of google whitelist... But then I don't use that particular piece of spyware either, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

You'll have to ask @alberro+ that one I'm afraid, I don't touch the stuff myself.
It sounds like chrome's download protection whatchamacallit to me, I did hear something about a "strict" setting that prompts for any archive or executable not on some kind of google whitelist... But then I don't use that particular piece of spyware either, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe he's clicking on my server and it's freaking out because I use HTTP (oh nos!).  Try github in that case.  No reason it should do it there that you can't override.

I'm a mozilla boy so I wouldn't know anything about how to override it personally if it's chrome though.  Heck, if you want to go really "all-in, no security" he could always try Internet Explorer... lol.

Edited by R-T-B

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

Indeed. :rolleyes:

I got tired of updating the cert when all I do is host zip and .txt files. :p

If China/Cuba/the Abominable Snowman starts injecting things into my zips, I'll hash them for people.

Edited by R-T-B

20 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I got tired of updating the cert when all I do is host zip files. :p

I got tired of the constant whining about "unsafe site" a while back and dumped a letsencrypt cert + acme.sh on my server box. Doesn't make anyone any safer mind, but it shuts them up and it's pretty much zero maintenance.

Ed. Oh doG, tell me it ain't so... Microsoft-IIS/10.0 :P
*shudder*

No nifty auto-renewing shell script for you then...

23 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I'm a mozilla boy so I wouldn't know anything about how to override it personally if it's chrome though.

Likewise. Since it was Nutscrape Navigator.

23 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

he could always try Internet Explorer

*shudder*

Edited by steve_v

49 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

It's odd, for sure, that it would ever trigger a false positive.  Maybe "Eve" shares a name with something malware-esque.  Who knows?  Antimalware can be really dumb sometimes.

I'd say you may have something else going on as...  I mean I've never seen such a clean virustotal, honestly:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/11c9a90d46927f7dc0057b7399d70a721801ad66b655a93696e8b4ae46388ff2/detection

It's not loading third party sunflares from the sunflare folder?  Huh?  That's certainly a bug.

KSP log file from your KSP directory root please, it will help me see what's happening (grab it right after you try to do the correct sunflares).

Also a link to the sunflares you want to use could be helpful.

@R-T-B Hi :D ! Well, i've made a Google Drive link with all the flares and the log, check here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s8dPGPTykd7XjkKuppz3mymFMU-6W0qn  i wish it helps you to figure out what is happening ! :D

Edited by Gabriel B
I corrected help to helps*

46 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I got tired of updating the cert when all I do is host zip and .txt files. :p

If China/Cuba/the Abominable Snowman starts injecting things into my zips, I'll hash them for people.

Turns out I’m actually Cuban!

I tried it again, and it worked! Must’ve been some dumb anti malware thing. Also, I tried the newest Scatterer thingimajig. I dunno if it’s Spectra, but Kerbin’s atmosphere looks very white in the map screen. It also looks the same in the menu. During flight, not so much. 

I also found some bugs with the water, I’ll add some screenshots in a sec.

56 minutes ago, steve_v said:

I got tired of the constant whining about "unsafe site" a while back and dumped a letsencrypt cert + acme.sh on my server box. Doesn't make anyone any safer mind, but it shuts them up and it's pretty much zero maintenance.

Ed. Oh doG, tell me it ain't so... Microsoft-IIS/10.0 :P
*shudder*

No nifty auto-renewing shell script for you then...

*shudder*

Yeah, it's completely off topic but I keep a mixed environment because I have to admin an MS server machine at work.  It keeps them from completely losing relevance with me.  It isn't my first choice though.  I have a gaming machine besides that and the rest is gentoo linux boxes to keep the parents from breaking things.

But yeah, topic.

12 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Turns out I’m actually Cuban!

Cool!  Better not be any yeti's downloading my stuff though, I hate those guys.

26 minutes ago, Gabriel B said:

@R-T-B Hi :D ! Well, i've made a Google Drive link with all the flares and the log, check here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s8dP

GPTykd7XjkKuppz3mymFMU-6W0qn  i wish it helps you to figure out what is happening ! :D

Log starts with

Initialize engine version: 2017.1.3p1 (02d73f71d3bd)

Are you using 1.7.3?

Don't use these builds I make, then.  They don't fix anything really (more is broken), and all they do is add support for 1.9+  Use the official builds in OP.

Edited by R-T-B

34 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

I’ll add some screenshots in a sec.

https://imgur.com/gallery/eud0hYn

Some of the images I took. 

I have Spectra, KSPRC, EVE, and TextureReplacer installed. I installed the latest pre-version of Scatterer.

I'll try to re-download that version, as it's not the first time the white thing happens.:D

Spoiler

finally got a muncastle!!

Edited by alberro+