blackrack

[WIP][1.8.x-1.9.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (v0.0610 - 25/04/2020)

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

@blackrack Another weird thing I found: The eastern night sky is permanently like this, even right after sunset:

Gkwakod.png

The sky also appears to suddenly cutoff to black with no transition the moment dawn comes - might have been there before though, so not sure if it's a bug or just me nitpicking.

Try without scatterer... stock has the same behavior. 

Also, if you have distant objects enhancements, that will dim the skybox even more.

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that Scatterer and Galileo's rescale have this kind of problem where the effects of scatterer kind of disappears between 160km and 220km of altitude when using Rescale x0.64. And I know Galileo has put up a notice of it on his rescale mod page, but I felt like checking out around which altitude the problem occured.

 I made screenshot of it at around 205km, just around the altitude where the problem starts to disappear gradually

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_1DU4XAXA8h8fVYJe_y6zy725Oe10rji  <-Screenshot

EDIT: forgot to mention, this is on ksp 1.3.1

Edited by Pointblank66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Try without scatterer... stock has the same behavior. 

Also, if you have distant objects enhancements, that will dim the skybox even more.

I don't use DOE. Also I'm pretty sure Scatterer used to handle the night sky as well in the past, before new Unity broke things. Now it seems to simply disable itself, as otherwise the skybox is invisible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a strange case of an entire moon disappearing when I zoom in to close.

Mods: Sigma Dimensions to rescale everything to 3x

TAC life support (shouldn't matter)

Part mods (shouldn't matter), Making History (shouldn't matter)

My own planet mod, which adds a planet and modifies Duna.

Any idea what could be causing this? is it a setting I can change to keep my mod up to date, or is it something that needs to be fixed in scatterer (it didn't do this before)

Spoiler

Zoomed out enough, everything is fine, the atmosphere is as it should be, the water is as it should be, Duna is as it should be (though a bit oversaturated, meh):

5Q95fP9.png

Then zoomed in a little more:

bl8OKPP.png

Where did Duna go?! The sun, or at least its flare, is still there.

Update: I figured I'd try it on another place where one can be in an atmosphere, looking at a body with an atmosphere: Laythe.

I had the same problem, when the camera gets close to the ground/the active vessel, Jool disappears.

o9UR70T.png

Zoom in just a tad more:

DaItlQb.png

Where did Jool go?!

Edited by KerikBalm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much is the FPS impact when I add this + EVE to my potato hardware?

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro (saving for pc pls be nice)

CPU:Core i5-65something 

GPU: Integrated Intel Iris 6100

8gb Ram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AwesomeDude3664 said:

How much is the FPS impact when I add this + EVE to my potato hardware?

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro (saving for pc pls be nice)

CPU:Core i5-65something 

GPU: Integrated Intel Iris 6100

8gb Ram

Tbh don't even bother trying. 

I run a GTX960M and an i5HQ on my mobile setup and EVE + scatterer bring you down crawling. With no dedicated GPU you have to make some cuts, unfortunately. 

But you can always give it a go, of course, to check for youself! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2018 at 10:30 PM, m4ti140 said:

@blackrack Another weird thing I found: The eastern night sky is permanently like this, even right after sunset:

The sky also appears to suddenly cutoff to black with no transition the moment dawn comes - might have been there before though, so not sure if it's a bug or just me nitpicking.

I don't see anything wrong with the image, if you mean the tinting near the horizon that's just atmospheric extiction doing it's job.

The stock game has no transition from black to nightSky, it just brutally cuts off, this is not a scatterer issue.

7 hours ago, Pointblank66 said:

I noticed that Scatterer and Galileo's rescale have this kind of problem where the effects of scatterer kind of disappears between 160km and 220km of altitude when using Rescale x0.64. And I know Galileo has put up a notice of it on his rescale mod page, but I felt like checking out around which altitude the problem occured.

 I made screenshot of it at around 205km, just around the altitude where the problem starts to disappear gradually

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_1DU4XAXA8h8fVYJe_y6zy725Oe10rji  <-Screenshot

EDIT: forgot to mention, this is on ksp 1.3.1

Known issue with no fix for now https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/32

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I have a strange case of an entire moon disappearing when I zoom in to close.

Mods: Sigma Dimensions to rescale everything to 3x

TAC life support (shouldn't matter)

Part mods (shouldn't matter), Making History (shouldn't matter)

My own planet mod, which adds a planet and modifies Duna.

Any idea what could be causing this? is it a setting I can change to keep my mod up to date, or is it something that needs to be fixed in scatterer (it didn't do this before)

Update: I figured I'd try it on another place where one can be in an atmosphere, looking at a body with an atmosphere: Laythe.

I had the same problem, when the camera gets close to the ground/the active vessel, Jool disappears.

Zoom in just a tad more:

Where did Jool go?!

I'm guessing this is the same bug as "night sky goes black when the refractions are on". Turn off refractions as a temporary fix. I will fix this soon.

1 hour ago, AwesomeDude3664 said:

How much is the FPS impact when I add this + EVE to my potato hardware?

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro (saving for pc pls be nice)

CPU:Core i5-65something 

GPU: Integrated Intel Iris 6100

8gb Ram

You can run it without the ocean shaders and it should more or less run fine, then try toggling the remaining options and see what will help your fps most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I don't see anything wrong with the image, if you mean the tinting near the horizon that's just atmospheric extiction doing it's job.

The stock game has no transition from black to nightSky, it just brutally cuts off, this is not a scatterer issue.

Known issue with no fix for now https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/32

I'm guessing this is the same bug as "night sky goes black when the refractions are on". Turn off refractions as a temporary fix. I will fix this soon.

You can run it without the ocean shaders and it should more or less run fine, then try toggling the remaining options and see what will help your fps most.

 

2 hours ago, Theysen said:

Tbh don't even bother trying. 

I run a GTX960M and an i5HQ on my mobile setup and EVE + scatterer bring you down crawling. With no dedicated GPU you have to make some cuts, unfortunately. 

But you can always give it a go, of course, to check for youself! :)

Okay, thanks for the info!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2018 at 11:38 AM, blackrack said:

It's working fine here. See the OP for how to file a bug report.

KSP: 1.4.2 Windows 64bit

Problem: Effects not showing up in Tracking Station

Mods installed:

Scatterer 0.0329

ModuleManager 3.0.6

Reproduction steps:

I have removed all my mods besides scatterer and MM and the effects still do not show in the tracking station...

bIOmcz0.png

But everything else is working normally

as seen here in inflight map view the effects are working properly:

9kCVgIp.png

Log:

google drive link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blackrack Bug Report:

KSP Version: 1.4.2 with DLC

Used Mods: scatterer, Spectra (with all dependencies and KSPRC terrain), Texture Replacer Replaced, Kerbal Konstructs (1.4 beta version)

Issue: Underwater terrain showing through

Reproduction Steps: Launch plane and look at ocean

Tg697Lh.png

Log

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 11:46 AM, rawghi said:

Just a quick update about the orange sky and missing ocean.

It happens even removing SVE/EVE, only for a particular vessel that I’m using (stock plus NRAP/Mechjeb) and if you open the scatterer menu you can:

- disable the orange sky removing the post processing effect (thus losing the PPE obviously)

- fix the missing ocean by simply click on “Rebuild ocean”

As stated before I’m posting mainly for information purpose, I don’t think it’s worth investigating as the issue is very limited and easily “workaroundable”

for me, removing SVE and installing the default EVE plugins seemed to fix the problem, or atleast I haven't encountered it again, I'm not sure why it was only linking to certain vessels for you, it seemed to happen to me regardless of what was on my ship.

 

Edit: it's still happening just like rawghi said, removing SVE doesn't seem to help.  And it seems that once it happens, the issue reoccurs every time you enter the flight scene until you quit the game.  the work around is only effective until you return to the space center.

 

Here's my output log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@blackrack Bug Report:

KSP Version: 1.4.2 with DLC

Used Mods: scatterer, Spectra (with all dependencies and KSPRC terrain), Texture Replacer Replaced, Kerbal Konstructs (1.4 beta version)

Issue: Underwater terrain showing through

Reproduction Steps: Launch plane and look at ocean

Log

This is with ocean shaders or not? And can you try to narrow it down by removing/re-adding your mods one by one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blackrack said:

This is with ocean shaders or not? And can you try to narrow it down by removing/re-adding your mods one by one?

@blackrackOcean shaders are enabled, tried it in stock, and it did not happen, possibly an incompatibility with either Kopernicus or Kerbal Konstructs, will test it out.

Edit: It's probably Spectra or one of its dependencies, will test it out tonight

jqDF32K.png

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 9:34 PM, Theysen said:

Tbh don't even bother trying. 

I run a GTX960M and an i5HQ on my mobile setup and EVE + scatterer bring you down crawling. With no dedicated GPU you have to make some cuts, unfortunately. 

But you can always give it a go, of course, to check for youself! :)

Hmm... I've got the same graphics card and an i7 on my laptop, and I get pretty good performance with EVE+Scatterer. The current stable release of EVE uses CPU to handle volumetric clouds, I wonder if you would get better framerates with Blackrack's EVE build/without EVE. Also the Optimus setups use regular system RAM when they run out of VRAM, shouldn't matter here but the thing is you can make those laptops handle higher texture resolutions by expanding regular RAM. Bottom line is, a 960M is more than capable of handling Scatterer alone (won't be as smooth as stock, but stable). Things get messy when EVE is involved.

23 hours ago, blackrack said:

I don't see anything wrong with the image, if you mean the tinting near the horizon that's just atmospheric extiction doing it's job.

The stock game has no transition from black to nightSky, it just brutally cuts off, this is not a scatterer issue.

I'm clinically blind then, didn't realize that tint was just the galaxy in the background getting tinted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on a hunch, I turned off the lens flare shader, godrays and eclipses.  Interestingly, instead of an orange sky got the odd gradient effect that @Kwebib described.  Also seemed to be temporarily remedied by switching off post processing and rebuilding the ocean

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I did have godrays turned off before. I'll have to try that again. 

Edit: Godrays are off. Atmosphere still looks fine. I'm going to actually try to play this game now that my mods are all updated. If it breaks again I'll start removing mods one by one.

Edited by Kwebib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blackrack I hope I'm not offending by re-asking my question, but I fear my post was buried when I uploaded the wrong log initially.

I'm getting a Null Reference Exception every time I exit the Tracking Station back to the space center. I'm using scatterer v0.0329 on a fresh KSP 1.4.2 install with Making History and no other mods. I searched around on the thread before posting, but I didn't see this specific issue addressed, so I apologize if this is a known issue. 

Here is my output log.

Thank you all your hard work and dedication to such an awesome mod. My KSP experience is richer for it.

Edited by nebuchadnezzar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blackrack, any clues on the orange sky bug?  I'm still getting it constantly.  As near as I can tell, it seems to be caused by the sunset.  It'll look fine until my ship passes the terminator and from then until I restart the game I get an orange sky that persists in full daylight.  Fiddling with the settings has gone nowhere, except that I've determined that the gradient sky issue seems to happen when godrays are disabled, and is possibly also tied to nightfall.

 

TBH, I'm about ready to just give up on scatterer until it's fixed.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having an issue where the sunflares don't center on the sun, they just move around on its Y axis?

Pegt8vL.jpg

jhzok2L.jpg

I have tried KSP 1.4.2  with only Scatterer (and Making History) and the problem persists. The few mods I have don't cause it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

after the release of realism overhaul on CKAN I've built myself a new Realism Overhaul installation. So far everything works good. But I have two issues, which seem to be scatterer related. I'm using RSSVE updated for 1.3.1 but unfortunately the thread there is closed :/

 

When launchin a rocked, the landscape gets covered by a blueish nebula. This disapprears when getting higher up. And after reaching a height of > 140km, scatterer seems to not be active at all. Also this disappears when reaching a certain height. 

https://imgur.com/a/E6mLD

 

Someone has an idea how to fix this?

Edited by Friedrich Nietzsche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

@blackrack I hope I'm not offending by re-asking my question, but I fear my post was buried when I uploaded the wrong log initially.

I'm getting a Null Reference Exception every time I exit the Tracking Station back to the space center. I'm using scatterer v0.0329 on a fresh KSP 1.4.2 install with Making History and no other mods. I searched around on the thread before posting, but I didn't see this specific issue addressed, so I apologize if this is a known issue. 

Here is my output log.

Thank you all your hard work and dedication to such an awesome mod. My KSP experience is richer for it.

Does this break anything ingame? If it's just a nullref with no ill effects, ignore it.

7 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

@blackrack, any clues on the orange sky bug?  I'm still getting it constantly.  As near as I can tell, it seems to be caused by the sunset.  It'll look fine until my ship passes the terminator and from then until I restart the game I get an orange sky that persists in full daylight.  Fiddling with the settings has gone nowhere, except that I've determined that the gradient sky issue seems to happen when godrays are disabled, and is possibly also tied to nightfall.

TBH, I'm about ready to just give up on scatterer until it's fixed.

Have you found a way to reproduce this consistently? Can you post screenshots and logs? As I said before I don't have enough information on this bug.

3 hours ago, Wilhelm Kerman said:

Is anyone else having an issue where the sunflares don't center on the sun, they just move around on its Y axis?

I have tried KSP 1.4.2  with only Scatterer (and Making History) and the problem persists. The few mods I have don't cause it.

Is this with 0.0329? It should've been fixed, can you try to toggle antialiasing?

2 hours ago, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

Hello,

after the release of realism overhaul on CKAN I've built myself a new Realism Overhaul installation. So far everything works good. But I have two issues, which seem to be scatterer related. I'm using RSSVE updated for 1.3.1 but unfortunately the thread there is closed :/

When launchin a rocked, the landscape gets covered by a blueish nebula. This disapprears when getting higher up. And after reaching a height of > 140km, scatterer seems to not be active at all. Also this disappears when reaching a certain height. 

https://imgur.com/a/E6mLD

Someone has an idea how to fix this?

This should be the same issue as this: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/issues/32

A future development is needed on my side to fix this correctly, so no fix at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blackrack said:

Have you found a way to reproduce this consistently? Can you post screenshots and logs? As I said before I don't have enough information on this bug.

Like I said, it pretty consistently triggers when the rocket passes the terminator, either during launch, descent or while in LKO.  Oddly, it does not effect the space center scene, only happens when you are following a rocket.  I posted a log earlier, but here it is again:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

I thought @rawghi already posted pics, but next time I'm in game I'll try to remember to take some.  In a nutshell, the oceans disappear and the atmosphere looks like dusk even when the sun is high in the sky.  The air takes on an orange hue and the atmosphere becomes dark, almost black.  Lighting on the ground is also effected, even at noon the ground looks like night, the space center lights even come on sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Like I said, it pretty consistently triggers when the rocket passes the terminator, either during launch, descent or while in LKO.  Oddly, it does not effect the space center scene, only happens when you are following a rocket.  I posted a log earlier, but here it is again:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcstvdgyx5xi4kv/output_log.txt?dl=0

I thought @rawghi already posted pics, but next time I'm in game I'll try to remember to take some.  In a nutshell, the oceans disappear and the atmosphere looks like dusk even when the sun is high in the sky.  The air takes on an orange hue and the atmosphere becomes dark, almost black.  Lighting on the ground is also effected, even at noon the ground looks like night, the space center lights even come on sometimes.

Well, I can't reproduce it, so I will need you try and narrow it down by removing your mods and re-adding them one by one to try and find what is causing the issue.

I see an issue in the log but I don't know what causes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.