[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Alright listen up everyone, I decided to do a grand tour of all the planets + the outer planets mod (maybe not Eve or anything that would impede the mission), what are the must-have mods for this? I've been out of the loop for a while, what mods are best for gathering resources in-situ?

9 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

?? It hasn't had any noticeable impact on performance on my end.... I'm pretty sure Blackrack made it so it wouldn't

It also seems to have a small impact on my end, I wouldn't say unnoticeable but definitely nothing too bad. And I'm running a midrange GPU from 2011.

9 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Directx 10 isn't quite up to this, is it?  I seem to lag slightly, and whenever I alt-tab into ksp, it takes a second or two to render the ocean and sky.
However, it looks beautiful:

Is it a good idea to force directx10 in KSP?

Just now, blackrack said:

It also seems to have a small impact on my end, I wouldn't say unnoticeable but definitely nothing too bad. And I'm running a midrange GPU from 2011.

Ahhh ok.. Yeah probably helps that I'm running a 970. 

2 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Alright listen up everyone, I decided to do a grand tour of all the planets + the outer planets mod (maybe not Eve or anything that would impede the mission), what are the must-have mods for this? I've been out of the loop for a while, what mods are best for gathering resources in-situ?

Interstellar Extended is a must have for a long mission. A little hard to learn on the beginning, but is the best way...

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

[...]

Is it a good idea to force directx10 in KSP?

That's the best my graphics card can run.  Here's my specs:
CPU: Two Intel core 2 CPUs 6700 @ 2.66Ghz
Memory: 8 gigs
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512
Hard drives: Hitachi HDT725025VLA SCSI Disk device, and;
WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk device
Keyboard: Great old mechanical keyboard, I can't find it by googling the model number
Mouse: Logitech optical mouse, has a small problem with the power cord
Joystick: Logitech extreme 3D pro
Monitor: LCD 1280 X 1024.

6 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Ahhh ok.. Yeah probably helps that I'm running a 970. 

Well it definitely helps a LOT. I'm on a 560 Ti and it's already running fine at 1080p so...

4 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Interstellar Extended is a must have for a long mission. A little hard to learn on the beginning, but is the best way...

Alright, I would honestly prefer to get started right away. Btw what is the consensus on stock fairings? Are they any good or should I stick to good old procedural fairings?

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

That's the best my graphics card can run.  Here's my specs:
CPU: Two Intel core 2 CPUs 6700 @ 2.66Ghz
Memory: 8 gigs
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512
Hard drives: Hitachi HDT725025VLA SCSI Disk device, and;
WDC WD25 00KS-00MJB0 SCSI Disk device
Keyboard: Great old mechanical keyboard, I can't find it by googling the model number
Mouse: Logitech optical mouse, has a small problem with the power cord
Joystick: Logitech extreme 3D pro
Monitor: LCD 1280 X 1024.

Well I think it's normal, your GPU is pretty old.

Just now, blackrack said:

Alright, I would honestly prefer to get started right away. Btw what is the consensus on stock fairings? Are they any good or should I stick to good old procedural fairings?

Well I think it's normal, your GPU is pretty old.

Stock fairings: You can't strut to them, but that's the worst of the problems.

GPU: Yeah, it seems not to be too bad with framerate because of the CPUs, but it takes a long time to render the water.  Its still amazing that you're able to get it to work as fast as it does, I remember making a single image in blender with water of about this quality, and it took almost an HOUR with this computer.

3 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Well, they are usable but I still use old Procedural ones often. They are more flexible, and provide extra support to payload.
There was a mod called StockClamshellFairings that makes stock ones separate properly, not fall into a zillion pieces. Can't use them without that mod.

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Stock fairings: You can't strut to them, but that's the worst of the problems.

GPU: Yeah, it seems not to be too bad with framerate because of the CPUs, but it takes a long time to render the water.  Its still amazing that you're able to get it to work as fast as it does, I remember making a single image in blender with water of about this quality, and it took almost an HOUR with this computer.

Well you can always try to lower variancesize, fouriergridsize and set m_resolution higher in the ocean settings, see if that helps the framerate.

2 minutes ago, sashan said:

Well, they are usable but I still use old Procedural ones often. They are more flexible, and provide extra support to payload.
There was a mod called StockClamshellFairings that makes stock ones separate properly, not fall into a zillion pieces. Can't use them without that mod.

Alright then, guess it's the procedural fairings. One last step before I start my adventure: Unlocking FAR to work in delicious 64bit.

I have the same glitches as BrutalRIP. Even on a clean install without any launchparameters, in windowed mode and in full screen. Im playing on Windows 7, im using a HD 7970 with the recent Crimsondriver...

Any chance the specular power (roughness) for the ocean's solar reflection could be exposed in the GUI? (If it's not already. I couldn't see anything as I tinkered with it!) I'd like to try a glossier value.

Edited by idPhobos

5 minutes ago, idPhobos said:

Any chance the specular power (roughness) for the ocean's solar reflection could be exposed in the GUI? (If it's not already. I couldn't see anything as I tinkered with it!) I'd like to try a glossier value.

I already plan to add this in the next version.

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

So I tried those adjustments, and I think they made a framerate difference, but it still takes a while on the initial render when I tab over to KSP.

If you run in windowed mode you won't have these anymore.

2 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Laythe looks a bit strange. Flat waters with some waves in a different color on top of it.

Next time post a picture.