[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Does anybody have any experience with the way the cameras in KSP handle depth buffers? I need to know if KSP's default terrain shaders write to the depth buffer. I know KSP uses multiple cameras and it makes rebuilding a coherent depth buffer difficult and yadda yadda but since I'm working on atmospheric scattering, it only applies to the farthest objects and would only require the depth buffer of the farthest camera.

I know rbray was working on something similar, but if possible, I'd like to not have to replace the stock terrain shaders with other shaders that write to the depth buffer as rbray did something similar but it did not look good in the end.

Nevermind you guys, I figured it out

teABsMf.jpg

now to make something really amazing happen with this depth buffer...

Hey BlackRat, i think we was talking about SmallFatFetus...

;)

oh okay

Good god this is beautiful! Are there plans to add a donate button to the OP? You need to be paid for this!

If you want to pay me go ahead, I'm not against the idea :P However I'd feel bad accepting donations, mainly because I didn't do as much work as you think I did, I mostly borrowed stuff from the awesome proland to unity port by Justin Hawkes, go here for a good read: http://scrawkblog.com/2014/05/19/proland-to-unity-core/

I am actually amazed no one has thought of doing this before.

Edited by blackrack

I am actually amazed no one has thought of doing this before.

Oh I'm sure plenty of people have. Doing it is the hard part most people hang up on - including Squad. As nice as this looks, it is in no way essential to gameplay hence very low on the priority list for the developers. Keep up the good work

This mod could not modify the radio chatterer audio fx, because they are inside the capsule, with atmosphere.

Now what happens here is that all sounds go "underwater fx". Others that could not modify is the bell from Kerbal Clock, and alarms from Science Alert.

;)

Besides that, i love this mod.

And your name is fine, the other one is fine too, but is disturbing. :P

This mod could not modify the radio chatterer audio fx, because they are inside the capsule, with atmosphere.

Now what happens here is that all sounds go "underwater fx". Others that could not modify is the bell from Kerbal Clock, and alarms from Science Alert.

What?

I tried it a bit. Congratulations! Looks very nice and seems very, very promising. But I have a few questions:

- Why you need to change the sun flare to a more primitive one?

- If I'm not doing nothing wrong, seems not compatible with EVE and the new wip-EVE. Right? Seems like the camera layers are very important here so, depending on what camera you choose, you can see the coulds and effects from EVE or, instead, your atmo scattering... But, could be this compatible in the future with wip-EVE or, as least, with the 7-4 EVE version?

I tried it a bit. Congratulations! Looks very nice and seems very, very promising. But I have a few questions:

- Why you need to change the sun flare to a more primitive one?

- If I'm not doing nothing wrong, seems not compatible with EVE and the new wip-EVE. Right? Seems like the camera layers are very important here so, depending on what camera you choose, you can see the coulds and effects from EVE or, instead, your atmo scattering... But, could be this compatible in the future with wip-EVE or, as least, with the 7-4 EVE version?

The atmosphere isn't translucent, it's an opaque layer that covers the whole sky, and as such, needs it's own sun flare, right now it keeps rendering when you're in orbit but in future versions I'll make it fade as you go up the atmosphere and transition to the stock sun without anyone noticing. You can try deleting the sun texture in the mod folder, you'll be left with a sunless sky when you're on the ground.

The first two versions (which you can still download in the OP) were compatible I think with EVE, I remember someone posted screens with clouds and everything. Here's an awesome pic I saved

72nlXss.jpg

Someone started reporting the missing clouds with the last version. My guess would be it's because I disabled the stock atmosphere's renderer (pretty much the only big change in that version) so they don't overlap with each other and cause an ugly view from orbit. If that's the case I could simply fix it by disabling the stock atmosphere as soon as you're about to leave my atmosphere. However you can still see the clouds working normally in the KSC view which is puzzling. I still haven't looked much into it yet. Anyway, I plan to work on EVE and RSS compatibility, and I really don't see any reasons why these wouldn't work.

Edited by blackrack

Wait a sec, there's a wip-eve update around? Where? I haven't seen anything about it.

New version, you can enable postprocessing by pressing the button, also, always disable postprocessing before switching scenes or it messes up.

3QMBKZ5.jpg

Performance isn't that great in this version if you have many mods but will be improved. Postprocessing doesn't work in openGL right now but I'll work on it.

Link in the OP.

Edited by blackrack

New version, you can enable postprocessing by pressing the button, also, always disable postprocessing before switching scenes.

http://i.imgur.com/3QMBKZ5.jpg

Performance isn't that great in this version if you have many mods but will be improved. Postprocessing doesn't work in openGL right now but I'll work on it.

Link in the OP.

Agh! I already died from seeing this mod for the first time! Now I'm dying again! :D The awesome just never ends!

EDIT: Also, why don't you look into hosting your mod on Kerbal Stuff? It's free, your downloads can be a big as you want, and every time you update it your "followers" will get an email. :) I use it, and it's freakin' amazing.

Edited by Thomas988

When i put this mod on my install of KSP .90 it stopped to load the gameplay. I can get until the KSP load, on load scene screen. When i press to choose a game save and then load it won't go further.

In a strange manner, because it won't lock, is like pressing a button that won't work, i kept pressing load, and it won't do anything.

Then, i remove your mod, and everything goes fine again.

I use Mac OSX Yosemite.

;)

So what does everybody think of the new effect? http://i.imgur.com/bexImmf.jpg

I know it's a bit overdone for now but I like how it looks from orbit especially. I haven't had much feedback on the visual look of it so I'm assuming either it doesn't work for anybody but me or no one noticed there is a new version.

Agh! I already died from seeing this mod for the first time! Now I'm dying again! :D The awesome just never ends!

EDIT: Also, why don't you look into hosting your mod on Kerbal Stuff? It's free, your downloads can be a big as you want, and every time you update it your "followers" will get an email. :) I use it, and it's freakin' amazing.

I didn't get around ot it yet, but I'll definitely get on that, first though, I'm going to set up a github repo.

When i put this mod on my install of KSP .90 it stopped to load the gameplay. I can get until the KSP load, on load scene screen. When i press to choose a game save and then load it won't go further.

In a strange manner, because it won't lock, is like pressing a button that won't work, i kept pressing load, and it won't do anything.

Then, i remove your mod, and everything goes fine again.

I use Mac OSX Yosemite.

;)

Are there any messages in the debug log? Do the old versions work fine? Are there any mods installed? If this is an osx specific issue I suppose I can't diagnoze it by myself as I don't have a mac and I'm not familiar with their inner workings... so to speak. In any case, I'm setting up a github repo, and maybe then people who are familiar with OSX could pinpoint the problem.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to blackrack again."

Damn it!

Cool, thanks.

Hi Blackrack,

I'm sorry to report that I had to remove the download links from your OP until it complies with our Add-on Posting Guidelines. Specifically, you must make the source code available, and you must choose a license and include it in both your original post and the download of your add-on. If you need advice on choosing a license, see this thread.

Once you have chosen your license and included it, as well as making the source available, feel free to edit your download links back in.

This holds incredible potential. I hope you will manage to get the license going on soon !

And a note : It will replace the fake scattering made using EVE as well !

Edited by MegaUZI

This holds incredible potential. I hope you will manage to get the license going on soon !

And a note : It will replace the fake scattering made using EVE as well !

I'll get around to it... eventually. I haven't worked on it today because I had too much fun just flying around sightseeing in kerbin.

9XQdA3A.jpg

Mg5vDnQ.jpg

I'll get around to it... eventually. I haven't worked on it today because I had too much fun just flying around sightseeing in kerbin.

http://i.imgur.com/9XQdA3A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mg5vDnQ.jpg

Again, something is almost making me want to come back to this game.

Glad to see a proper mod for what our E.V.E packs were trying to create.