[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Just now, blackrack said:

20-30 fps? What are you doing?

Look at the video above, it should tell you everything you need to know about fps.

Cant see it due to school blocker. Part counts don't matter. What ever I do doesn't change the fps and even the stock visuals go below 60 for no reason. 

2 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

sunflares are borked in 1.9 as well. shows up fine in the tracking station. but looks like some kind of mask is over the sun in the flight scene. using -force -d3d11

The mod is currently only available for version 1.8. There is no guarantee it will continue working in future versions without changes, especially when considering how and to what extent Scatterer alters the game.

16 hours ago, Rodger said:

I'm getting a crash fairly often, on scene changes, and I just noticed scatterer AtmosphereProjector was mentioned in the log. Is it possible it's the cause? Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uc3U9171Pm48YH8v6XFkXGHLuQiTXyMc

I don't have access to your drive, but anyway, if it's the issue with the destructor, it's fixed and will be released in next update.

53 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I don't have access to your drive, but anyway, if it's the issue with the destructor, it's fixed and will be released in next update.

Oh sorry, should be public now, but yeah I think it was the destructor. Is the next version going to be 1.8.1 compatible still?

8 hours ago, blackrack said:

Reveal hidden contents

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But in all seriousness, probably in two weeks as I'm off on vacation next week.

yeah I don't know if that is going to work for me... im going to need you to put vacation time on hold... this is the kerbal community we are talking about and you have one of the hottest mods around... when you decided to release one of the greatest kerbal mods around you signed your life away to the community... you don't have the luxuries normal people have... and yeah im just joking xD

is there anyway to make the current version work again like recompiling with 1.9 dlls? I have no idea im ignorant to all this kerbal modding

Ok guys, so I'm uplading a new version for 1.8.1 for now, it contains the caustics, as well as the ability to have colored suns affect the atmospheres, and some bug fixes. As I said before 1.9 will come after

Links in the usual channels, it will be up shortly.

Few quick snaps: https://imgur.com/a/GQ8ucqc

Video of the caustics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-1tSvEh9s&feature=emb_title

17 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Ok guys, so I'm uplading a new version for 1.8.1 for now, it contains the caustics, as well as the ability to have colored suns affect the atmospheres, and some bug fixes. As I said before 1.9 will come after

Links in the usual channels, it will be up shortly.

Few quick snaps: https://imgur.com/a/GQ8ucqc

Video of the caustics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV-1tSvEh9s&feature=emb_title

Are there any syntax changes we need to look out for? Or will mods with current 1.8.1 compatibility still work?

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Are there any syntax changes we need to look out for? Or will mods with current 1.8.1 compatibility still work?

All compatible, new changes are optional, if no sunColor is provided it defaults to white, and if no caustics are provided they are not used.

You can refere to these commits for syntax:

https://github.com/LGhassen/ScattererConfig/commit/807b7b0533f04b5a03c2a439c6c7eb7f83e126a6

https://github.com/LGhassen/ScattererConfig/commit/42ded8165aa10723d2ce9a881192cd908e5b325d

Edited by blackrack

I have some ideas for your planned features if you don't mind and some new ideas. 

- A new menu besides the two atmo and ocean. Near the changing tabs. This would be for the other features so you can edit it.  

-depth of field (Please make a slider for this so we don't have to change cfg files. This is kinda important to cinematic creators as I find myself editing it over and over again to find the best setting.)

-If you could add eye adaption that would be great! I know ks3p has it but it's either too dark or bright. (Two sliders for light and dark limits so people can change it.) [I don't understand how to change it in ks3p sadly.)

I was thinking those ideas would be great in your mod. I don't know if you would take those ideas and do it but thank you for considering. (I know nothing about modding soooo, yeah.)

These are just ideas that I thought up while doing stuff in ksp.  

2 hours ago, Arco123 said:

I have some ideas for your planned features if you don't mind

There is a different menu in the KSC screen, which toggles the other features.

Depth of field is not an effect I'm fan of in real-time games tbh, it can be done today though (with gemfx or sweetfx I think), there are some people that used it before with scatterer, a google search should get you what you need.

For eye adaptation and HDR rendering, I tried it before and found that the game's shaders aren't designed for it and don't like high light intensities, also the game's rendertarget wasn't floating point so the point is moot. It may change in the future.

3 hours ago, blackrack said:

For eye adaptation and HDR rendering, I tried it before and found that the game's shaders aren't designed for it and don't like high light intensities, also the game's rendertarget wasn't floating point so the point is moot. It may change in the future.

Indeed, I too tried to enable HDR on KSPs terrain/scenery/buildings back in the 1.6.x/1.7.x era, and found that their shaders did....strange things... when HDR was enabled (simply turning it on in the KSP cameras...).  Stuff like the buildings gaining partial transparency whenever they were under direct sunlight (terrain was fine, as were faces on buildings not directly receiving sunlight).

Some of this very well may have changed with the updates to using Unity 2019, but I haven't had the time to look into it personally yet.  Likely going to look into it before too long, as getting HDR working is almost required to enable bloom post-processing (it works without it, but not nearly as well).

6 hours ago, Arco123 said:

-depth of field (Please make a slider for this so we don't have to change cfg files. This is kinda important to cinematic creators as I find myself editing it over and over again to find the best setting.)

-If you could add eye adaption that would be great! I know ks3p has it but it's either too dark or bright. (Two sliders for light and dark limits so people can change it.) [I don't understand how to change it in ks3p sadly.)

I personally don't see as either of these belong in Scatterer, being general rendering changes rather than anything specifically environmental related (which is Scatterer's focus from my viewpoint).

Much better would be to see the issues with KS3P fixed up, and then simply use that mod for what it is and the features it provides.  I realize that the author for that mod hasn't been around in some time, but there were some discussions in the thread of it possibly being picked up by others.

2 hours ago, Arco123 said:

Would that be in the main menu or the space center view? Same keys that turn on scatterer right?

Space center, there is a scatterer button on the right side.

34 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Indeed, I too tried to enable HDR on KSPs terrain/scenery/buildings back in the 1.6.x/1.7.x era, and found that their shaders did....strange things... when HDR was enabled (simply turning it on in the KSP cameras...).  Stuff like the buildings gaining partial transparency whenever they were under direct sunlight (terrain was fine, as were faces on buildings not directly receiving sunlight).

Some of this very well may have changed with the updates to using Unity 2019, but I haven't had the time to look into it personally yet.  Likely going to look into it before too long, as getting HDR working is almost required to enable bloom post-processing (it works without it, but not nearly as well).

I personally don't see as either of these belong in Scatterer, being general rendering changes rather than anything specifically environmental related (which is Scatterer's focus from my viewpoint).

Much better would be to see the issues with KS3P fixed up, and then simply use that mod for what it is and the features it provides.  I realize that the author for that mod hasn't been around in some time, but there were some discussions in the thread of it possibly being picked up by others.

Would be nice to try again today.

As for HDR, the scattering in scatterer is rendered in HDR, taken to LDR and then added on top of the scene. To have the whole scene composited in HDR and then tonemapped would give much better results. Currently I use "soft additive" blend mode on the sky, scattering and lens flare to try and recapture some of these HDR effects, like having the scattering seem more pronounced on dark terrain in the shadow of the mountain for example rather than on the lit side. It works to some degree, but nothing fancy like bloom.