[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

40 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Ok, I'm reporting the same white atmosphere bug in 1.9.1.  I'm using @R-T-B's 1.9.1 version of EVE and Scatterer 0.0621b and I get this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qudtoe55f5q1tl/Buggy atmosphere.PNG?dl=0

Log files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/setczljb69wtv8y/Player.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hx0sr1tkc6vsu0/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'm using EVE, Scatterer, RVE64k, and RSS.  Just go to any planet (except Earth) with an atmosphere and the bug will appear.

Can you try this .dll? https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/raw/82eb59cff23fc534fe096dfe53e4dd59fec2ff2c/scatterer/bin/Release/scatterer.dll

Just replace your current scatterer.dll with it

11 hours ago, Entropian said:

Ok, I'm reporting the same white atmosphere bug in 1.9.1.  I'm using @R-T-B's 1.9.1 version of EVE and Scatterer 0.0621b and I get this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qudtoe55f5q1tl/Buggy atmosphere.PNG?dl=0

Log files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/setczljb69wtv8y/Player.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hx0sr1tkc6vsu0/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'm using EVE, Scatterer, RVE64k, and RSS.  Just go to any planet (except Earth) with an atmosphere and the bug will appear.

Could you post your main GPU as well?  Just looking for clues, as I am unable to replicate (AMD Radeon RX 5700XT).

Edited by R-T-B

20 hours ago, blackrack said:

Ok well, it fixed the nullrefs I saw in your log but doesn't fix the issue of white atmospheres... Guess I have to reproduce it sometime

Just FYI (I was the one what pointed out the issue with the .DLL extraction error) the 0.0621b extracted without issue and looks pretty good to me (I am also using EVE from Oct19 with the stock configs, and Planetshine).

I don't have the white atmo issue but others are still reporting it: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/iapc5i/is_this_supposed_to_happen_when_using_scatterer/

When I see it, I direct them here.

I think I figured it out, as I was able to replicate it:

They're extracting the "scatterer.0.0621b.zip" archive directly into the "GameData" directory.

Doing this causes the white atmosphere.

Not for me, I extract it properly.

11 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Just looking for clues, as I am unable to replicate

Try installing RSS, your version of EVE, RVE64k, and Scatterer.  The issue should appear on any planet with an atmosphere except for Earth.

9 minutes ago, jjansen said:

I think I figured it out, as I was able to replicate it:

They're extracting the "scatterer.0.0621b.zip" archive directly into the "GameData" directory.

Doing this causes the white atmosphere.

Seems to reproduce it for me, uplading new zip.

8 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Not for me, I extract it properly.

Can you go into your GameData folder and run a search for "scatterer.dll"? Show paths of results

18 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Kerbal Space Program > GameData > scatterer > scatterer.dll

Do you also have a GameData > GameData > Scatterer > Scatterer.dll?

This seems to be what's going on, two copies running around somehow.

If not (or actually, even if so), I advise deleting the scatterer folder, downloading the new zip Blackrack made without the old compression, and trying again.  Plus the rogue GameData folder if you have one.

Edited by R-T-B

Ok, I installed 0.0621c and still got the same bug.  Photo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f63p5y8bncoho3a/Buggy atmosphere 2.PNG?dl=0

Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/221v8oprmj60sm0/Player.log?dl=0

Thanks to both of you for your time and help; I understand that this can be really tedious and annoying.

EDIT: Just realized the output_log is for the incorrect instance.  Link removed.

Edited by Entropian

So, 0.0621 causes this (relaunched twice, fresh install and upgrade from 0.0620, swapping to ship back to Space Center recreates the issue):

YTPvQcL.png

0.0620 looked like this (Kerbolar orbit chasing Duna):

1qbYDm5.png

The latest version looks like this:

8B0PXwm.png

As far as visual mods go, I'm using the current EVE and configs from WazWaz's github (1.8.0-2), as well as Planetshine 0.2.6.1. Also EngineLightingRelit (1.6.2.3 with Smokescreen) but I doubt that's the issue.

When I tear out the old Scatterer and replace it with the new one, the menu screen looks better at the twilight areas of Kerbin (as opposed to dark blotches with 0.0620) but everything else, including the acquired+purchased tech in R&D, seems to have another layer of shadow cast over it.

Here's the 2.8MB log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyp6th3mcnzwv66/output_log.txt?dl=0

(My rig is an old i5-4690 at 3.5ghz, Windows 7 Pro, 32GB RAM, and a GTX 1070.)

14 minutes ago, jjansen said:

So, 0.0621 causes this (relaunched twice, fresh install and upgrade from 0.0620, swapping to ship back to Space Center recreates the issue):

0.0620 looked like this (Kerbolar orbit chasing Duna):

The latest version looks like this:

As far as visual mods go, I'm using the current EVE and configs from WazWaz's github (1.8.0-2), as well as Planetshine 0.2.6.1. Also EngineLightingRelit (1.6.2.3 with Smokescreen) but I doubt that's the issue.

When I tear out the old Scatterer and replace it with the new one, the menu screen looks better at the twilight areas of Kerbin (as opposed to dark blotches with 0.0620) but everything else, including the acquired+purchased tech in R&D, seems to have another layer of shadow cast over it.

Here's the 2.8MB log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyp6th3mcnzwv66/output_log.txt?dl=0

(My rig is an old i5-4690 at 3.5ghz, Windows 7 Pro, 32GB RAM, and a GTX 1070.)

There are some reported issues with engineLighting. Can you try removing that?

20 minutes ago, blackrack said:

There are some reported issues with engineLighting. Can you try removing that?

For you, I'll give it a shot (but this will not stand!)

Update: no change. Current Scatterer still results in black buildings and dim craft. (interestingly: it doesn't start with black buildings, but they persist when quitting to main menu and reopening a save, but not relaunching. And between saves, but only at night. It's as if contrast is +70%)

Edited by jjansen

Same bug as jjansen

here was no such problem with the previous version of the scatterer. My add-on set hasn't changed.

Installed EVE from R-T-B problem began to arise even more often.

My system: Win 10 / AMD Ryzen 5 2600 / RAM 32 Gb / GTX 1050

Spoiler

Bug-S-01.png

Bug-S-02.png

Bug-03.png

Bug-04.png

addons.jpg

Editing: AVP users don't seem to have this problem. Need to check.

Edited by BezKartuza

5 hours ago, Entropian said:

Thanks to both of you for your time and help; I understand that this can be really tedious and annoying.

I have no problem with trying to help... sorry it's not working well.  That being said.

53 minutes ago, BezKartuza said:

Installed EVE from R-T-B problem began to arise even more often.

I'm not above considering I may be, for lack of a better term, the root of all evil here.  Could you guys try with the old Environmental Visual Enhancements build, before I used BIOZ's shader recompile?  That was about when I posted my thread and also about when these reports started coming in.  It is a little too coincidental.

It's available here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/1.9.0.3-RTB

It's got the same bugfixes but does not support certain features BIOZ added back.  Few texture packs use that Terrain feature though, so you aren't missing anything.  Just sad for future devs.

I'd like to know if the code I integrated is bugged, because we could pull it and save a lot of people some grief.  Or not, and then we could rule out that possibility.  Either one is nice.

If it's bugged, it's certainly only bugged on select hardware, which is really weird.

EDIT:  Now that I notice, the shaders bundle BIOZ provided is a bit smaller despite having more features.  That's odd...  I'm going to pull my latest release while I investigate a bit.  There's nothing worth using in it over the previous one right now, anyways.

Edited by R-T-B

41 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I'm not above considering I may be, for lack of a better term, the root of all evil here.  Could you guys try with the old Environmental Visual Enhancements build, before I used BIOZ's shader recompile?  That was about when I posted my thread and also about when these reports started coming in.  It is a little too coincidental.

It's available here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/1.9.0.3-RTB

It's got the same bugfixes but does not support certain features BIOZ added back.  Few texture packs use that Terrain feature though, so you aren't missing anything.  Just sad for future devs.

I'd like to know if the code I integrated is bugged, because we could pull it and save a lot of people some grief.  Or not, and then we could rule out that possibility.  Either one is nice.

If it's bugged, it's certainly only bugged on select hardware, which is really weird.

EDIT:  Now that I notice, the shaders bundle BIOZ provided is a bit smaller despite having more features.  That's odd...  I'm going to pull my latest release while I investigate a bit.  There's nothing worth using in it over the previous one right now, anyways.

I use Google Translate. Sometimes (when there is a lot of text) he (google) tries to confuse me! it's not easy with him :D
I'll try your other version. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BezKartuza said:

Editing: AVP users don't seem to have this problem. Need to check.

I found out. This problem also exists on AVP. And some other problems that are not in "Spectra".

AVP 4.05 / scatterer-0.0621c / EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.8.0.2:

Spoiler

AVP-bug-001.png

AVP-bug-002.png

AVP-bug-003.png

AVP-bug-004.png

AVP-bug-005.png

AVP-bug-006.png

2 minutes ago, BezKartuza said:

I use Google Translate. Sometimes (when there is a lot of text) he (google) tries to confuse me! it's not easy with him :D
I'll try your other version. Thanks!

I found out. This problem also exists on AVP. And some other problems that are not in "Spectra".

AVP 4.05 / scatterer-0.0621c / EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.8.0.2:

Hide contents

AVP-bug-001.png

AVP-bug-002.png

AVP-bug-003.png

AVP-bug-004.png

AVP-bug-005.png

AVP-bug-006.png

It's fine, if you get "revert to previous" out of that post, you understood enough. :D

I am sorry it did not fix your issues.  My main reason for the revert was to fix the "white atmosphere" bug some people had.

Edited by R-T-B

I might be useful as a control here. I'm not running EVE, but I am using the new .dll blackrack linked above. I played around seven hours today with no NREs and no ultra-night appearances. I went into and out of the tracking station a lot also.

As KSP was closing, these errors popped into the log, but otherwise Scatterer has worked fabulously for me today.

[ERR 16:53:48.904] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Duna because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Duna
  at scatterer.Utils.GetMainMenuObject (CelestialBody celestialBody) [0x00051] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 
  at scatterer.ProlandManager.Init (scatterer.ScattererCelestialBody scattererBody) [0x00090] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 
  at scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.UpdateProlandManagers () [0x001d8] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 

[LOG 16:53:48.904] [Scatterer][Debug] Duna removed from active planets.
[LOG 16:53:49.771] [Scatterer][Debug]  Skynode initiated for Kerbin
[ERR 16:53:49.779] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Laythe because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Laythe
  at scatterer.Utils.GetMainMenuObject (CelestialBody celestialBody) [0x00051] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 
  at scatterer.ProlandManager.Init (scatterer.ScattererCelestialBody scattererBody) [0x00090] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 
  at scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.UpdateProlandManagers () [0x001d8] in <cfd2b7cbde3a4f249cf9a51ae6b51eea>:0 

[LOG 16:53:49.779] [Scatterer][Debug] Laythe removed from active planets.
[ERR 16:53:49.789] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Jool because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Jool

[LOG 16:53:49.789] [Scatterer][Debug] Jool removed from active planets.
[ERR 16:53:49.798] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Eve because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Eve

[LOG 16:53:49.798] [Scatterer][Debug] Eve removed from active planets.

5 hours ago, JWag said:

I might be useful as a control here. I'm not running EVE, but I am using the new .dll blackrack linked above. I played around seven hours today with no NREs and no ultra-night appearances. I went into and out of the tracking station a lot also.

As KSP was closing, these errors popped into the log, but otherwise Scatterer has worked fabulously for me today.

[ERR 16:53:48.904] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Duna because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Duna

[LOG 16:53:48.904] [Scatterer][Debug] Duna removed from active planets.
[LOG 16:53:49.771] [Scatterer][Debug]  Skynode initiated for Kerbin
[ERR 16:53:49.779] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Laythe because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Laythe

[LOG 16:53:49.779] [Scatterer][Debug] Laythe removed from active planets.
[ERR 16:53:49.789] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Jool because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Jool

[LOG 16:53:49.789] [Scatterer][Debug] Jool removed from active planets.
[ERR 16:53:49.798] [Scatterer][Error] Effects couldn't be loaded for Eve because of exception: System.Exception: No correct main menu object found for Eve

[LOG 16:53:49.798] [Scatterer][Debug] Eve removed from active planets.

Those nullrefs are normal, actually (though maybe blackrack should try/catch them).  It's just saying that it can't load those bodies in the main menu, because uh...  they aren't there in the main menu!  Pretty harmless.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, hendrack said:

A main menu with something like the map view and all planets would be cool though.

I think that's too prestigious to add to a mod that makes atmospheres and water look better :P