[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

New version is uploading. RSS seems to have pretty bad z-fighting so you might want to avoid this version if you're on RSS until I get it fixed. Godrays are disabled by default but can be enabled from the main menu. Eclipses (sky and orbit only), custom lens flare shader and terrain shadows are also included. Full changelog is in the OP.

Have fun.

z-fighting with what specifically in RSS? I disable oceans, so perhaps that is why I don't notice any z-fighting in RSS.

I turned on the godrays and did some test landings on Mars & the Moon. I believe they will Really help with RSS landings, as it appeared much more clear to me where the ground was angled, the size and extent of craters, etc. Of course, I will need to do some apples to apple comparison with the previous version of Scatterer, it could have been the placebo effect and I was testing when the sun was low in the sky to maximize shadowing of terrain on terrain.

The thing that stuck out to me was that the sun pretty much just disappeared. I was excited for the new sun flare system and was surprised to see just a small dot sun instead. I couldn't quite figure it out. Perhaps @pingopete will make use of this feature in RVE. Any chance that the foreign names of the planets in RVE was messing with the new sunflare system?

Just now, stratochief66 said:

z-fighting with what specifically in RSS? I disable oceans, so perhaps that is why I don't notice any z-fighting in RSS.

I turned on the godrays and did some test landings on Mars & the Moon. I believe they will Really help with RSS landings, as it appeared much more clear to me where the ground was angled, the size and extent of craters, etc. Of course, I will need to do some apples to apple comparison with the previous version of Scatterer, it could have been the placebo effect and I was testing when the sun was low in the sky to maximize shadowing of terrain on terrain.

The thing that stuck out to me was that the sun pretty much just disappeared. I was excited for the new sun flare system and was surprised to see just a small dot sun instead. I couldn't quite figure it out. Perhaps @pingopete will make use of this feature in RVE. Any chance that the foreign names of the planets in RVE was messing with the new sunflare system?

I tweaked the sunflare for the scale of the Kerbol system, in a way that it will appear decently sized when seen from Kerbin. In RSS the sun is much farther away, and appears much much smaller in the sky (also noticed this in space engine) so you'll need to go into the sunflare config file and scale it up.

I noticed a lot more z-fighting in the postprocessing shader, but the ocean z-fighting seems fixed so I don't know.

5 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I tweaked the sunflare for the scale of the Kerbol system, in a way that it will appear decently sized when seen from Kerbin. In RSS the sun is much farther away, and appears much much smaller in the sky (also noticed this in space engine) so you'll need to go into the sunflare config file and scale it up.

I noticed a lot more z-fighting in the postprocessing shader, but the ocean z-fighting seems fixed so I don't know.

I might just be used to / not bothered by postprocessor z-fighting, so that could be it :)

Ahh, so scaling could be the issue. That insight should help us shed some light on Earth, as it is on Kerbin :)

Here's the files (publicly shared in google drive, since you didn't requested a specific platform)

Player.log
KSP.log

Fore the rest, you'll have to explain me a bit what you mean, don't assume I know everything about visuals in KSP :)

Disabling all the features in Scatterer menu is done, but does not change the slightest thing, or to be precise, it's about the same

CbBGDzm.png

f7LSD2i.png

If you need more tests, you can ask me for specifics, because I'm reaching a point where I don't see what I can try anymore.

I have a question that should be rather simple to answer.  I want the horizon to be fog/haze thick enough to make it unable to see, thus removing the curvature of the planet.  This is what it looks like now:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631929783

I'm so far unable to find how to increase the haze so that I do not see it(the horizon).. is this possible?

Edited by mcbmaestro

4 minutes ago, mcbmaestro said:

I have a question that should be rather simple to answer.  I want the horizon to be fog/haze thick enough to make it unable to see, thus removing the curvature of the planet.  This is what it looks like now:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631929783

I'm so far unable to find how to increase the haze so that I do not see it.. is this possible?

Try playing with the postprocessing depth value.

If that isn't evenough, assuming you're using the latest version of the mod, go in the config tool (link in OP) and multiply each of the BetaR factors by x2, x3 or even more, find what makes the horizon fade to white, I did something like this when testing configs for Eve http://i.imgur.com/1mBKcb2.png then play with the depth and extinction values until you can see what's in front of you but the horizon fades to white.

It might look very different though, it's a really small planet and I'm afraid there isn't a way to do this without making things feel foggy.

1 hour ago, Baleine said:

Here's the files (publicly shared in google drive, since you didn't requested a specific platform)

Player.log
KSP.log

Fore the rest, you'll have to explain me a bit what you mean, don't assume I know everything about visuals in KSP :)

Disabling all the features in Scatterer menu is done, but does not change the slightest thing, or to be precise, it's about the same

If you need more tests, you can ask me for specifics, because I'm reaching a point where I don't see what I can try anymore.

I'm on it, seems to sometimes happen in KSC view also.

Ok thanks Blackrack!  Kerbin is tiny yes but I felt like hiding the horizon might be a way to make it feel bigger, like looking out a window at 30,000 feet even in a jet it's still hard to see curvature because of the haze.

Edited by mcbmaestro

7 minutes ago, mcbmaestro said:

Ok thanks Blackrack!  Kerbin is tiny yes but I felt like hiding the horizon might be a way to make it feel bigger, like looking out a window at 30,000 feet even in a jet it's still hard to see curvature because of the haze.

Even in that really foggy Eve pic above you still see the curvature, really the planets are just absolutely tiny,and the moment you get 5-10 kms high you'll still see the curvature no matter what.

As an aside, I'm completely experiencing the same thing that Baleine is. I've reverted to the previous version.

One thing that may interest you: I was unable to control the camera. The interesting thing is that Distant Objects was rendering... and the flares were moving, all on a blank blue background. I've only seen a blank blue screen.

I know Baleine's given you his logs. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

47 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Even in that really foggy Eve pic above you still see the curvature, really the planets are just absolutely tiny,and the moment you get 5-10 kms high you'll still see the curvature no matter what.

Hey Blackrack, where is the config.xml file I'm supposed to replace in the mod folder?  I have the config.xml generated editor one, but I don't see any .xml in the mod folder.

I multiplied the BetaR values by about X2.5 and was able to get it looking EXACTLY as I wanted in the editor:

horz_zpse9jzmr7e.jpg

But I can't seem to find where that config.xml goes in the scatterer mod folder.. I think that's why it's not working.  10KM up is fine, considering Kerbin's scaled down size, it's good-- the horizon and curvature is almost non visible.  I think this would look a best case scenario if someone wanted this kind of view out an aircraft.

Edited by mcbmaestro

@Nhawks17 @stratvox @Baleine I think I got it, try this: https://mega.nz/#!edxnATxL!XCRKn7s-wec96LIifZGV1llB5rIg1P18JFuaRSLMPR4

1 hour ago, mcbmaestro said:

Hey Blackrack, where is the config.xml file I'm supposed to replace in the mod folder?  I have the config.xml generated editor one, but I don't see any .xml in the mod folder.

I was able to get it looking EXACTLY as I wanted in the editor:

But I can't seem to find where that config.xml goes in the scatterer mod folder.. I think that's why it's not working.  10KM up is fine, considering Kerbin's scaled down size, it's good.  Still looks like a flat planet :D

Ah yes, the mod no longer uses .xml files I just haven't updated the config tool in a long time. Open the .xml file then open config/Kerbin/Settings.cfg and manually copy the settings over. Things will look a bit different ingame than they do in the config tool :P

Edited by blackrack

2 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Ok well it fixed that issue but introduced a new one :P Those should not be there :P 

Hmm, I really didn't change anything that would mess with city lights, let me check.

Edited: @Nhawks17 does this happen all the time or only when you load a craft from orbit? Does it happen when you zoom out from low orbit?

4 minutes ago, mcbmaestro said:

I see what you mean by different.  Thanks for introducing me to the config tool tho.  Can't wait to try out other values.

And once you get your config in the game don't forget to tweak the ingame settings like postprocessing depth, they can have a big impact on the look.

Edited by blackrack

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Hmm, I really didn't change anything that would mess with city lights, let me check.

Edited: @Nhawks17 does this happen all the time or only when you load a craft from orbit? Does it happen when you zoom out from low orbit?

So loading a craft on the ground doesn't cause it nor does zooming out. Switching to a craft in orbit from a craft on the ground doesn't cause it either it seems. Only occurs when you load a craft in orbit from the Tracking Station.

3 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

So loading a craft on the ground doesn't cause it nor does zooming out. Switching to a craft in orbit from a craft on the ground doesn't cause it either it seems. Only occurs when you load a craft in orbit from the Tracking Station.

Okay, I'll see what I can do.

Okay. The new dll fixed pretty much fixed it. Visuals in LKO are actually improved; there's what I can only describe as a lot more clarity than with the one that had the blue sky of death.

That said, I don't run EVE, so take that with a grain of salt.

The performance is being pretty brutal in LKO though, down in the neighbourhood of 5 fps with a one part bit of orbital debris. When I'm looking at a craft that's out a few hundred kms, performance is fine.

When you've got exactly the right setup, the god rays from LKO are freakin' incredible. 

24 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I love this with RSS.

Great, might want to tweak that sunflare scale though.

13 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Okay. The new dll fixed pretty much fixed it. Visuals in LKO are actually improved; there's what I can only describe as a lot more clarity than with the one that had the blue sky of death.

That said, I don't run EVE, so take that with a grain of salt.

The performance is being pretty brutal in LKO though, down in the neighbourhood of 5 fps with a one part bit of orbital debris. When I'm looking at a craft that's out a few hundred kms, performance is fine.

When you've got exactly the right setup, the god rays from LKO are freakin' incredible. 

Was the performance 5 fps before or was there a performance hit with the new .dll? Try this one https://mega.nz/#!vNRkgChA!bnfL8d__gx46cbS4MfLvZ1Z2sR_0ji3yVNqsHykuIIo @Nhawks17 also try it

Anyway, godrays visible from LKO are silly but that's just how tiny Kerbin is.

26 minutes ago, blackrack said:

Was the performance 5 fps before or was there a performance hit with the new .dll? Try this one https://mega.nz/#!vNRkgChA!bnfL8d__gx46cbS4MfLvZ1Z2sR_0ji3yVNqsHykuIIo @Nhawks17 also try it

Anyway, godrays visible from LKO are silly but that's just how tiny Kerbin is.

Ah hah! That fixed it! Thank ya!

Does anyone have a setup to use with RSS?

I was trying to use scatter and with the RSS workaround, I changed the planet name for Earth and Mars, but on the last line it mentioned something about changing the MapViewScale, but it did not say change to what.

Any idea what i should change it to? Its default set to 0.998. And the loadDistance and unloadDistance settings in PlanetList.cfg needing change dont stick. They revert to default.

Edited by Cratzz
eryrryyry

EDIT: Went back a couple pages, the new dll in the download seems to have fixed this.  I'll keep playing around.

I'm seeing a problem similar to @Cratzz.  It starts when I go to a vessel I already had in orbit around a body.  Went to it through the tracking station.  When I come back to KSC, that's pretty messed up, too.  I did recently install New Horizons, but given the similar problem here and the visual nature, I'm trying here first.

Let me know if any logs would be helpful.  This is the newest version, 0.0230.  I have EVE (plus probably 40 other mods) as well, not sure if that's a contributing factor.  However, I didn't see this until the Scatterer update.

Cheers,

-BS

JzWLlhk.jpg

1Kf9XGf.jpg

Edited by barfing_skull