[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

How do I increase radius for a rescaled version of kerbin? Just for the map view, everything else works fine.

Yeah I get this too on RSS; map view has a tiny planet's-atmosphere from scatterer (not sure if fixed in latest update: yesterday's one)

LXOnP5s.png

Yeah I get this too on RSS; map view has a tiny planet's-atmosphere from scatterer (not sure if fixed in latest update: yesterday's one)

http://i.imgur.com/LXOnP5s.png

That's weird, the shader is supposed to get it's radius value from that of the planet, I'll check it out.

Oh and, is that really an accurate representation of earth's scale compared to kerbin?

That's weird, the shader is supposed to get it's radius value from that of the planet, I'll check it out.

Oh and, is that really an accurate representation of earth's scale compared to kerbin?

When do you fetch it? I know I had to add a minor delay so that the values are reflective of the actual size.

Could also be a problem with RSS planet names, though my RSS and EVE configs are still using stock names :/

I think it might actually be haha that's insane

Edited by pingopete

When do you fetch it? I know I had to add a minor delay so that the values are reflective of the actual size.

I fetch it at the start but since all the effects are working fine outside the map view it means it's getting the right radius, so the problem is elsewhere, I'll look into it.

Okay then, one thing I wanted to ask, since you seem to be using windowshine/TR's reflective visors, does the atmosphere reflect properly on it?

Also, not sure what you mean by the sun being too big, you can try making the sunflare texture smaller if you want. Lowering MIE_G will give you an unnaturally emtpy sky.

There is a litle problem with reflective visors, when there is the planet and the visors in the same field of vision, in the visors we can see several planets.

For sun, I've made a smaller sunflare texture and it working great! I don't know why I persisted with MIE_G, thanks to get me out of this bad idea!

There is a litle problem with reflective visors, when there is the planet and the visors in the same field of vision, in the visors we can see several planets.

For sun, I've made a smaller sunflare texture and it working great! I don't know why I persisted with MIE_G, thanks to get me out of this bad idea!

Several planets? Or the actual effect butchered and split up across several corners?

Is not a problem related to scatterer.

TR reflection plugin is not yet updated to work with Scatterer or wip-EVE. So it can't reflect well the scattering effect (yet?).

I guess Shaw is waiting for the definitive releases to work in the compatibility which, with so many changes in the WIP versions, is the most intelligent thing he can do.

Is this mod by chance stable enough for reguar use or is it still mostly indev?

It is in "Add-on Development" and labeled as "Work in progess" (WIP)...

But if you play in DirectX this should be pretty estable. And very, very nice. ;)

It is in "Add-on Development" and labeled as "Work in progess" (WIP)...

But if you play in DirectX this should be pretty estable. And very, very nice. ;)

Yes! Very nice! Your game will be prettier with it!

Is this mod by chance stable enough for reguar use or is it still mostly indev?

It's stable and good for use in regular gameplay with dx9. Keep in mind it only applies to kerbin for now.

Is not a problem related to scatterer.

TR reflection plugin is not yet updated to work with Scatterer or wip-EVE. So it can't reflect well the scattering effect (yet?).

I guess Shaw is waiting for the definitive releases to work in the compatibility which, with so many changes in the WIP versions, is the most intelligent thing he can do.

Actually this may also be a problem caused by scatterer, it uses a bunch of tricks and the atmosphere's physical position isn't anywhere near where it appears to be so that might be throwing off windowshine. Also, not sure how TR's reflection plugin works, if it renders another camera pretty sure it will need to update the atmosphere shader's parameters with those of that camera before rendering (direction, position, projection matrix, etc..) or it won't render right.

I love this mod. It makes KSP so much more pretty. If it wasn't for the memory consumption it would definitely be a cannot play without mod, right next to FAR.

My current KSP install needs about 2.3 GB on the start screen. If i load my savegame it needs about 2.7 GB *without* Scatterer. Scatter just pushes it to 3.3 GB. ;.; It runs very unstable like that since i frequently get spikes that go over the limit.

Is there a way to reduce the memory consumption? It seems like a lot.

You probably know the works of Bruneton and Neyret (2008) and others http://www-evasion.imag.fr/people/Eric.Bruneton/. In "Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering" they say "Thanks to our optimized parameterization our 4D table has a better precision and uses less space than the 3D table of [sFE07] (8 MB for S with 16 bits floats vs 12 MB for their 1283 texture).". Hardly the 512 Mb that i'm seeing. Any ideas?

Here is the article http://www-ljk.imag.fr/Publications/Basilic/com.lmc.publi.PUBLI_Article@11e7cdda2f7_f64b69/article.pdf

I love this mod. It makes KSP so much more pretty. If it wasn't for the memory consumption it would definitely be a cannot play without mod, right next to FAR.

My current KSP install needs about 2.3 GB on the start screen. If i load my savegame it needs about 2.7 GB *without* Scatterer. Scatter just pushes it to 3.3 GB. ;.; It runs very unstable like that since i frequently get spikes that go over the limit.

Is there a way to reduce the memory consumption? It seems like a lot.

You probably know the works of Bruneton and Neyret (2008) and others http://www-evasion.imag.fr/people/Eric.Bruneton/. In "Precomputed Atmospheric Scattering" they say "Thanks to our optimized parameterization our 4D table has a better precision and uses less space than the 3D table of [sFE07] (8 MB for S with 16 bits floats vs 12 MB for their 1283 texture).". Hardly the 512 Mb that i'm seeing. Any ideas?

Here is the article http://www-ljk.imag.fr/Publications/Basilic/com.lmc.publi.PUBLI_Article@11e7cdda2f7_f64b69/article.pdf

The table itself uses 16mb but that's not all there is to it. There's a bunch of other stuff that needs to be done. Also, the mod has an history of memory leaks and I'm an amateur at coding so there's definitely huge room for improvement and it's something I plan to work on. For now there are several reports of the community's 64-bit workaround working without a hitch with scatterer.

This is the only solution available right now so you could give it a try: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

The table itself uses 16mb but that's not all there is to it. There's a bunch of other stuff that needs to be done. Also, the mod has an history of memory leaks and I'm an amateur at coding so there's definitely huge room for improvement and it's something I plan to work on. ...

That would be great. I didn't notice a leak once the game is loaded. All that memory is used up when scatterer is initialized.

P.S. you are doing a pretty good job for an amateur! :D

This is the only solution available right now so you could give it a try: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

Well sure, but i would rather setup dual boot with linux than mess around with KSP under win64 :)

That would be great. I didn't notice a leak once the game is loaded. All that memory is used up when scatterer is initialized.

P.S. you are doing a pretty good job for an amateur! :D

Well sure, but i would rather setup dual boot with linux than mess around with KSP under win64 :)

Thanks, OpenGL is hit and miss for scatterer, for some it works fine but for most people it doesn't, I'd say win64 is a better idea.

Thanks, OpenGL is hit and miss for scatterer, for some it works fine but for most people it doesn't, I'd say win64 is a better idea.

Just an FYI blackrack. I am using a Linux x64 install with an NVIDIA graphics card. Scatterer is lovely during the day time but still has those pesky lines at night. This is an improvement as I used to have them at all times. Do you happen to have a link to suggestions for settings in Linux to help reduce the known issues with Scatterer? We are so close I can taste it!

Thanks for all your hard work.

Just an FYI blackrack. I am using a Linux x64 install with an NVIDIA graphics card. Scatterer is lovely during the day time but still has those pesky lines at night. This is an improvement as I used to have them at all times. Do you happen to have a link to suggestions for settings in Linux to help reduce the known issues with Scatterer? We are so close I can taste it!

Thanks for all your hard work.

Disable anisotropic filtering in your drivers and use the ForceOFF aniso option in the scatterer UI, this is the only fix I know for the lines.

Edited by blackrack

Disable anisotropic filtering in your drivers and use the ForceOFF aniso option in the scatterer UI, this is the only fix I know for the lines.

Are they here to stay or do you see a possibility to get rid of them some time in the future?

I'm also getting the circular lines in the sky. I'm using the Linux 64-bit version. I turned off aniso in the drivers (nvidia), in the game settings, and in the config files for the mod, no joy. I tried using it in 32-bit Windows but the game has a stroke and crashes because it hits the memory ceiling fast, even with ActiveTextureManagement. I'm not sure if this is because the 'nix version uses OpenGL or what. Its too bad because this mod makes the game look fantastic. Keep up the good work though, I'll be lurking and keeping an eye on updates reading change logs. The day the 64-bit Windows version of KSP powered by Unity 5 cannot come soon enough.

I'm also getting the circular lines in the sky. I'm using the Linux 64-bit version. I turned off aniso in the drivers (nvidia), in the game settings, and in the config files for the mod, no joy. I tried using it in 32-bit Windows but the game has a stroke and crashes because it hits the memory ceiling fast, even with ActiveTextureManagement. I'm not sure if this is because the 'nix version uses OpenGL or what. Its too bad because this mod makes the game look fantastic. Keep up the good work though, I'll be lurking and keeping an eye on updates reading change logs. The day the 64-bit Windows version of KSP powered by Unity 5 cannot come soon enough.

I take it you are running a kitchen sink of mods on top of Scatterer?.... Me too. 64 bit Windows is possible, just don't drive the devs crazy with "bugs"

64bit Hack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...ity-workaround

I run this with AVP / EVE on a GTX 970 so NVidia will play nice. Just don't use OpenGL.

I also have some more tips and tricks I didn't want to clutter Blackracks thread with, on my thread linked in my signature below.