[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

32 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Is the extinction/sky shader working on scaled space? Whatever is working in scaled space should probably be on the render queue above the clouds. What are teh render queues of everything you render?

Macro only:
Particles: "Queue"="Transparent"

Macro/scaled

Clouds: "Queue" = "Transparent"

They're all adjusted on the fly so I can control which atmo and planet occlude which other atmo and planet, and usually, looking at a planet from orbit, I need it's atmo to render behind the clouds. From scaled space everything appears fine. If I do what you suggest however, when observing the sky from Laythe's surface, Jool's clouds would draw fine behind the atmosphere, but also so would Laythe's clouds, and that's a problem.

What I am doing right now is picking whichever planet is farthest, giving it a draw queue then taking it's atmosphere (if it has one) and giving it drawqueue+1, then the next planet drawqueue +2 and it's atmo drawqueue +3 etc to get the atmospheres drawing correctly in front of or behind other planets and atmospheres because z-sorting doesn't work with them.

What I was thinking is, I need a way to do that also with EVE clouds, so I can just place them on top of each planet's atmo but below the closer ones, if that makes any sense.

Ubuntu 15.10, KSP 1.05 64bit, blackrack I am not sure you are aware but the antialiasing in KSP does not work on Linux, I and probably most leave it off and override the application settings from the driver console to get it working. I was just playing around and having overidden anti-aliasing completely off makes it work much better in Linux, there are still glitches as in the album below, I also tried disabling Surface FX and Water FX, Suraface FX keeps re-enabling itself. It seems my nvidia GTX 570 card does not support EDGE PPFX as it is greyed out. With Water FX turned off it was much worse. I don't use the steam overlay to take screenshots so any jaggies are really there.

Edit oh and the first two shots show it changing between scene changes in and out of the space centre.

Edit 2 every scene change seems to bring different amounts of artifacts.

Edited by selfish_meme

Turning AntiAliasing on in game seems to have made it even better even if no antialiasing is being done. Might be something there. The black artifacts are gone, just the horizon ones, though I don't have any other mods on, you can see distant mountains through the ocean on the horizon.

OK after further reading, forcing OpenGL disables antialiasing in Windows and Linux has to run in OpenGL anyway. Will keep testing but I am running a glitch free (apart from horizon) jaggy game at the moment.

OK 2x anti-aliasing seems to be better than 8x? no artifacts in 2x anti-aliasing some in 8x, going to try the overidden AA settings again now. See below for artifact free view in Linux. Edit Also first view you can see the horizon under the water.

Edit No Apparent artifacts in 4x in game anti-aliasing either.

It is sooo beautiful....

Edited by selfish_meme

34 minutes ago, blackrack said:

They're all adjusted on the fly so I can control which atmo and planet occlude which other atmo and planet, and usually, looking at a planet from orbit, I need it's atmo to render behind the clouds. From scaled space everything appears fine. If I do what you suggest however, when observing the sky from Laythe's surface, Jool's clouds would draw fine behind the atmosphere, but also so would Laythe's clouds, and that's a problem.

What I am doing right now is picking whichever planet is farthest, giving it a draw queue then taking it's atmosphere (if it has one) and giving it drawqueue+1, then the next planet drawqueue +2 and it's atmo drawqueue +3 etc to get the atmospheres drawing correctly in front of or behind other planets and atmospheres because z-sorting doesn't work with them.

What I was thinking is, I need a way to do that also with EVE clouds, so I can just place them on top of each planet's atmo but below the closer ones, if that makes any sense.

I should be able to push the scaled space queue back one then? I think that should work.

OK so the fix for Linux on Nvidia (no other mods) seems to be enable in-game anti-aliasing to 2x, in your Nvidia control panel got to anti-aliasing settings and set it to override Application Settings and then set one of the below. (Ignore Space Centre views they nearly all seem glitched, in flight views are OK)

So far I have tested it with, :- seems to get better with scene changes.

AA Settings

2x MS (no artifacts)

4x MS (no artifacts)

8x (4x MS, 4x CS) (no artifacts)

16x (4x MS, 12x CS) (no artifacts) (used in conjunction with 4x AF below, works really well.)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS) (artifacts, cleared on scene change)

Anistropic Filtering (AF)

1x (lots of artifacts in flight, Space Centre View clear)

4x (no artifacts)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS), 16x AF, and Texture Sharpening (some artifacts, barely there)

Edited by selfish_meme

46 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

OK so the fix for Linux on Nvidia (no other mods) seems to be enable in-game anti-aliasing to 2x, in your Nvidia control panel got to anti-aliasing settings and set it to override Application Settings and then set one of the below. (Ignore Space Centre views they nearly all seem glitched, in flight views are OK)

So far I have tested it with, :- seems to get better with scene changes.

AA Settings

2x MS (no artifacts)

4x MS (no artifacts)

8x (4x MS, 4x CS) (no artifacts)

16x (4x MS, 12x CS) (no artifacts) (used in conjunction with 4x AF below, works really well.)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS) (artifacts, cleared on scene change)

Anistropic Filtering (AF)

1x (lots of artifacts in flight, Space Centre View clear)

4x (no artifacts)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS), 16x AF, and Texture Sharpening (some artifacts, barely there)

Sadly this didn't work for me I tried all AA and It seems to always revert when the scene changes.

28 minutes ago, Jeorge said:

Sadly this didn't work for me I tried all AA and It seems to always revert when the scene changes.

What are your normal AA settings in-game and through the nvidia control panel?

I have found that the higher the AA settings the more likely you are to encounter artefacts.

Edited by selfish_meme

22 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

What are your normal AA settings in-game and through the nvidia control panel?

I have found that the higher the AA settings the more likely you are to encounter artefacts.

In-game, I tested off and 2x anything above that worsen the artifacts. In the Nvidia panel, I tried all AA, fxaa 0 to 32x, I also tried override and enhance application settings. 8x and 16x is where i got the best results, too bad it breaks when you change scene.

13 hours ago, blackrack said:

try without mods, try different video settings, try a different renderer etc, I can't replicate any of these issues.

Tried all the video settings and  dx 10,11 and opengl all with only satterer installed still getting the same issue though it look different on opengl ;.;

13 minutes ago, Jeorge said:

In-game, I tested off and 2x anything above that worsen the artifacts. In the Nvidia panel, I tried all AA, fxaa 0 to 32x, I also tried override and enhance application settings. 8x and 16x is where i got the best results, too bad it breaks when you change scene.

Did you try 2x AA in-game and all AA off in nvidia control panel?

2 hours ago, Jeorge said:

Yep, still there, I'm taking a break from this mod for now, hopefully it'll be fixed soon, Thanks for the help anyway

Could you do me a favour, can you remove all mods apart from scatterer and most especially all of Module Manager, turn off overidden AA in the Nvidia Settings Manager and try one last time? You should only have 2 folders in GameData squad and scatterer, no files.

17 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Actually, I went into the game settings, and cut 24 pixels off of my vertical screen resolution.

I found I have had to do the same...Due to a mid-level laptop, I cant really run fullscreen... I have a 1600x900 on my laptop... To get a clean, fully visible KSP window, I had to go into the .cfg and change it to 1595x870... :( Anyway, it worx with no issue now..

@blackrack Hello brother thanks for posting up that .dll I've used it and increased oceanRenderQueue to 3000 and as you can see with these images it's largely resolved the "clouds through water" issue, at least it's not as obnoxious! However I'm still seeing this strange disc effect on the ground that seems to be an issue with something else? Turning off post processing gets rid of it. Sincere apologies if I'm being dumb and bothering you unnecessarily, but I really appreciate the help thank you so much x

PC Windows 8.1, KSP 1.0.4 64bit workaround, no mods except scatterer latest with the new .dll and EVE v7-4. Rendered in directX 9.

Also everybody's screenies are amazing! The future is so here! :D 

Hey, it was really cool to see this working out of the box in RSS!

Currently at 70km up the ocean disappears entirely, and it appears pretty static-y above 10-15 km. Is there anyway to disable the ocean wave effect at a certain altitude or use the 'stock' RSS ocean appearance above a certain altitude?