[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Alright, I added all the known issues in the OP, don't post about a problem before reading the OP or at least the last 10 pages.

11 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Turning AntiAliasing on in game seems to have made it even better even if no antialiasing is being done. Might be something there. The black artifacts are gone, just the horizon ones, though I don't have any other mods on, you can see distant mountains through the ocean on the horizon.

OK after further reading, forcing OpenGL disables antialiasing in Windows and Linux has to run in OpenGL anyway. Will keep testing but I am running a glitch free (apart from horizon) jaggy game at the moment.

OK 2x anti-aliasing seems to be better than 8x? no artifacts in 2x anti-aliasing some in 8x, going to try the overidden AA settings again now. See below for artifact free view in Linux. Edit Also first view you can see the horizon under the water.

Edit No Apparent artifacts in 4x in game anti-aliasing either.

It is sooo beautiful....

10 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

OK so the fix for Linux on Nvidia (no other mods) seems to be enable in-game anti-aliasing to 2x, in your Nvidia control panel got to anti-aliasing settings and set it to override Application Settings and then set one of the below. (Ignore Space Centre views they nearly all seem glitched, in flight views are OK)

So far I have tested it with, :- seems to get better with scene changes.

AA Settings

2x MS (no artifacts)

4x MS (no artifacts)

8x (4x MS, 4x CS) (no artifacts)

16x (4x MS, 12x CS) (no artifacts) (used in conjunction with 4x AF below, works really well.)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS) (artifacts, cleared on scene change)

Anistropic Filtering (AF)

1x (lots of artifacts in flight, Space Centre View clear)

4x (no artifacts)

32x (8xMS, 24xCS), 16x AF, and Texture Sharpening (some artifacts, barely there)

Alright, everyone with artifacts try this, if it doesn't work don't say it doesn't work, we have enough of these reports already.

10 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

@blackrack Did you read my findings on page 97 about those two ocean-shader files in EVE related to the ocean being partly rendered on top of a flat sea? Removing those made everthing just fine.

Yes, I knew something was messing with the stock ocean shaders.

8 hours ago, Acea said:

Anyone reported the issue that the ocean rendering disappears when rolling angle reaches 90 or 270 degs in IVA?

Known issue, read the thread next time.

1 hour ago, Space Cowbuoy said:

llo brother thanks for posting up that .dll I've used it and increased oceanRenderQueue to 3000 and as you can see with these images it's largely resolved the "clouds through water" issue, at least it's not as obnoxious! However I'm still seeing this strange disc effect on the ground that seems to be an issue with something else? Turning off post processing gets rid of it. Sincere apologies if I'm being dumb and bothering you unnecessarily, but I really appreciate the help thank you so much x

PC Windows 8.1, KSP 1.0.4 64bit workaround, no mods except scatterer latest with the new .dll and EVE v7-4. Rendered in directX 9.

Also everybody's screenies are amazing! The future is so here! :D 

That means the depth buffer got messed up, either the ocean is now writing full white to the depth buffer or the depth buffer is disabled somehow, I will do some testing and send you other files you could try.

55 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I just did this with freshly un-zipped install of KSP 1.0.5, with ONLY Scatterer... Lubuntu 15.04 64bit, Nvidia GT630M, 352.63, AntiAliasing set to application settings (all unchecked)...

Game set to (windowed):

Terrain Detail: High

SM3: Enabled

Terrain Scatters: Enabled

Scatter Density: 50%

Render Qual.: Fantastic

Texture Qual: High

Fallback Prt Shdrs: Enabled

Aero FX Qual.: Minimal

PPFX, Surf FX, UndrWtrFX: Enabled

AA: 2x

1st pic you can see ocean floor and mountains along horizon; also bottom thru shallow water, up close...

2nd pic, hints of underwater ridges showing thru...

3rd, camera angle set to limit (90*) straight above, water disappears; 4th camera angle adjusted just a hair, water visible again...

5th, at some point when zooming out, horizontal "bar" artifact drops down from top of screen...6th, next zoom level, it moves further down...I had a 7th pic, but it didnt make it up to imgur, that showed it moved down further at the next zoom level... (By zoom level, I mean just a single "turn" of the mouse wheel..)

With these settings, my framerate is single digits...Weird, since running Scatterer on  HEAVILY modded install on Windows, it was in the 20-30FPS range...Still playable...But on this fresh, clean Linux install, FPS is so slow game is totally unplayable...(looks VERY pretty tho...lol)

So I think next i will be lowering and tweaking the in-game graphics settings lower...

The ocean disappearing is a known issue, literally reported every page, read the thread. The ocean being translucent is not a bug, it's the ocean alpha (transparency) being set to 0.95 (95%), set it to 1.0, this is reported every page, read the thread.

55 minutes ago, stratochief66 said:

Hey, it was really cool to see this working out of the box in RSS!

Currently at 70km up the ocean disappears entirely, and it appears pretty static-y above 10-15 km. Is there anyway to disable the ocean wave effect at a certain altitude or use the 'stock' RSS ocean appearance above a certain altitude?

No such option for now but it is planned.

Edited by blackrack

15 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The ocean disappearing is a known issue, literally reported every page, read the thread. The ocean being translucent is not a bug, it's the ocean alpha (transparency) being set to 0.95 (95%), set it to 1.0, this is reported every page, read the thread.

Sorry... While I admit I havent read a lot of the recent posts, I did read the past half-dozen PAGES or so... I knew those were reported issues...I didnt mean to re-report them, I was just trying to convey that trying what Selfish suggested, with the settings I posted was STILL resulting in thsoe issues... I guess I could have done without the imgur album, sorry...

I wouldnt have mentioned them, OTHER than this is on Linux, which didnt seem to be getting as much discussion as with Windows... Thought possibly being on Linux might have given different insight to those issues?...

And yup, i forgot to reset the alpha on this first Linux attempt...I had previously changed it when I was on Windows...

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

That means the depth buffer got messed up, either the ocean is now writing full white to the depth buffer or the depth buffer is disabled somehow, I will do some testing and send you other files you could try.

Once again I would be more than happy to try anything you can suggest dude and I appreciate you looking into it. In the meantime is there a line I can add to the config to make it start with post processing off as a workaround? 

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

No such option for now but it is planned.

In reference to the ability to toggle the default water back in, this is great news! Peace x

EDIT: Took a minute and can confirm that on my system, KSP v1.0.5 64bit with just EVE/SVE ultra and scatterer latest with the fixed .dll runs beautifully with no artefacts I can see and looks just, just... Stunning. Just in 1.0.4 having my issue.

Edited by Space Cowbuoy
Just had to say...

Hi blackrack. First off what a fantastic thing you have created here, the difference it makes is stunning. Secondly, would you be so kind as to let me know (if possible) what settings were used for the "slightly windy" screenshot used in the OP? I've tried fiddling with the settings but I can't get them to look like that picture.

Thank you :)

8 minutes ago, Djolox said:

Hey, where to get the new .dll? It may fix my problem, I want to give it a try.

here:

On 12/3/2015, 6:46:27, blackrack said:

@Space Cowbuoy try this:  https://mega.nz/#!jFplVJrR!WqtAGscQ_vBOAKf5HuZazOIPudahLSF4nsIq_WAXyN0 edit the oceanRenderQueue field to values between 2000-2500-3000, see if that fixes it. If you find a setting you want to be saved, add a line oceanRenderQueue= *your value here* to the planetsList.cfg file.

I believe it's not the same problem but you're welcome to try

1 hour ago, Chimer4 said:

Hi blackrack. First off what a fantastic thing you have created here, the difference it makes is stunning. Secondly, would you be so kind as to let me know (if possible) what settings were used for the "slightly windy" screenshot used in the OP? I've tried fiddling with the settings but I can't get them to look like that picture.

Thank you :)

I don't have those exact settings but I usually just play with AMP, wind speed and omega.

Try AMP 3, wind speed 15 and omega 0.5

Dude this update blew my mind! Thank you for throwing the water shader into the wild.

Win 10 1.0.5 x64 work around in DX9 and it runs great.

This one deserves video's for sure. Just need to build more seaplanes and boats now. You finally gave me a reason to visit the water. You made that ugly blue carpet of an ocean, a destination.

Atmosphere height is now tweakable directly ingame, this means you don't have to fiddle with the config tool anymore to make your atmosphere higher, this is mostly good news for mod and config makers.

Also, this allows tweaking the atmo directly to have a blue sky higher up in Kerbin, and to avoid mountains poking through the atmosphere.

x1 , current config:

s1Mm5Be.jpg

x2:

G4ilw1C.jpg

x3:

psbmAWG.jpg

Also, added a workaround for the "line over the horizon" which appears when you make the atmosphere too high relative to the planet.

Before:

jgeOPu6.jpg

After:

jygdUwn.jpg

18 minutes ago, Djolox said:

Nice, I can see it now. Thanks!

P.S. Still nothing positive, all I am getting is this:

http://imgur.com/tdsgvKy

There's not a fix yet for this problem so all you can do is wait.

4 minutes ago, ghostbuzzer7 said:

Does Scatter not support clouds? It doesn't bother me much just asking :/ since I see people having clouds and I want in on that too :D 

Install environmental visual enhancements for the clouds, older versions of the plugin or the game may not be compatible.

Edited by blackrack

11 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@rbray89@blackrack I'll look at it when I have time. I would think however that you could just destroy the child sphere. If not, maybe look into how Kopernicus works, and just remove the child sphere from the system prefab before PSystemSetup instantiates it?

Destroying the childsphere causes nullrefs later, usually when you switch mapview or go far enough, and then the whole PQS system stops working.

I will take a look at how kopernicus does it.

Blackrack, you might want to add the EVE Ocean shader trick from this post to the front page:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v0021-03122015-ocean-shaders-get-them-while-theyre-hot/&do=findComment&comment=2307022

Edited by arise257
Wrong post

14 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Have you ever or are you ever going to implement a bobbing system to the waves?

Yeah, he was talkng about it a few pages back and said that he wants to do it:

On 11/30/2015, 5:40:13, blackrack said:

Does anybody know anything about the new buoyancy system and how it works? Specifically, I'm looking to change the height of what the buoyancy system considers as the "surface" for a given part or ship. If such a thing is even possible.

On 11/30/2015, 6:18:15, blackrack said:

Me too, but how to model the forces correctly and not just tilt a ship in the direction of a wave's normal? Looks like I have some studying to do. I'll ask ferram.

As a first solution, I was thinking bobbing the different parts up and down depending on their position on a wave and their buyoancy would tilt the ship in the correct direction and make it look like it's "riding" a wave.

42 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Do you also update child count? Hmm, what else...ah, there may be a PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform callback still present, you'll have to update that PQSMod too so it no longer thinks there are secondary fades.

I tried to find a way to update childcount but there was no such a public property or method as far as I could see.

Hmm, how can I update the PQSMod to do this?

38 minutes ago, arise257 said:

SVE updated to remove these. EVE normally doesn't replace ocean shaders anymore. But I'll do it anyway.

10 minutes ago, blackrack said:

SVE updated to remove these. EVE normally doesn't replace ocean shaders anymore. But I'll do it anyway.

Wait what did SVE do? Oh... no I didn't do that. I changed something else... but I could do that haha :P

Edit: Ohh, its in EVE... Removing and uploading a new version now :P

Edited by Nhawks17

9 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Wait what did SVE do? Oh... no I didn't do that. I changed something else... but I could do that haha :P

Edit: Ohh, its in EVE... Removing and uploading a new version now :P

I actually went in your thread and saw you changed something because it caused issues with scatterer oceans. Was I dreaming? :confused:

Just now, blackrack said:

I actually went in your thread and saw you changed something because it caused issues with scatterer oceans. Was I dreaming? :confused:

Yes you did see that but that was an issue with my actual configs. I didn't remove the shaders :P However, I did just release an update doing so :P