[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

6 minutes ago, Jeorge said:

Sorry it's still not working, scattering doesn't show and it's stuck at 1 fps, no other mods and all the settings are at default. I use the Nvidia 352.63 drivers.

I am using the same and mine works right up till it runs out of memory, I assumed thhat was because I had EVE as well but maybe it is a memory leak.

23 hours ago, Jeorge said:

I really can't get this to work even on the previous update before the ocean shader. The mod(previous) doesn't appear and now with the new update(ocean shader), the mod doesn't appear and I'm stuck at 1 fps. I'm using Ubuntu MATE 15.10 x64 with Steam KSP factory default, no modifications.

Edit: I use the right file directory too

The 1 fps comes from Scatterer trying to find a file: CompiledinitDisplacement.shader, which is actually called CompiledInitDisplacement.shader (with an upper case I in the zip file).

Even after changing this, it doesn't work for me (oceans are just blue, no waves, nothing), but I don't have time right now to continue bug hunting... Maybe upload your Player.log for blackrack to check for any other obvious issues?
Mine is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWNTh0bjFHaVVqNTg/view?usp=sharing

Edit 2: I think, that scatterer references shaders by filename (correct me if I'm wrong, didn't check the source code). So, even if the file is being found, it probably doesn't apply any settings to the respective shader, so oceans might still be rendered wrong. I'm at work now (that's why previously I wrote I don't have any more time), so I cannot check, but maybe in the evening?

Edit 3: Nope, I edited the .dll file in a hex editor so that all occurrences of CompiledInitDisplacement have the same case, and while it then loaded the file correctly, the rendering looked exactly the same as when one simply renames the file. Basicallly the same as in Jeorge's screenshot below. Ah, and the issue with the dark blue/black sea also appears on a fresh install with no mods but scatterer. Player.log of fresh install with only scatterer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWWHhpMmp1VEczdkk/view?usp=sharing

Edited by soulsource
Added Player.log for fresh install of KSP

17 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I am using the same and mine works right up till it runs out of memory, I assumed thhat was because I had EVE as well but maybe it is a memory leak.

Thanks for the help anyway

7 minutes ago, soulsource said:

The 1 fps comes from Scatterer trying to find a file: CompiledinitDisplacement.shader, which is actually called CompiledInitDisplacement.shader (with an upper case I).

Even after changing this, it doesn't work for me, but I don't have time right now to continue bug hunting... Maybe upload your Player.log for blackrag to check for any other obvious issues?

Thanks, this fix it for me, now scattering is appearing, but I still have problems with the ocean. I'll post screenshots later

This mod is so awesome it makes me consider stop being a loser and start enhancing my life to buy a new computer - my current laptop barely handles all this beauty. Thank you for your work, blackrack :)
Meanwhile, I'm not sure if it's known issue, but I'm getting artifacts below the horizon on the water. I'm not using OpenGL, RSS, Kopernicus or any other mods, that were reported here to have problems, and it happens on a clean install as well.

NtYAkce.png

6WceKab.png

EDIT:

Ok, I'm sorry, I lied when I wrote, that it happens on clean install - it wasn't actually clear, it was with EVE. Now that I ran it without EVE it looks like everything is all right.

TaJla3V.png

Edited by Paul_Sawyer

2 hours ago, Jeorge said:

Ocean looks dark. You can only see the details upclose but it's still fading to dark

24ffdbr.jpg

30sadtc.png

I get similar effects and we are are running similar systems, this is after renaming the file mentioned earlier. Funny effects on ocean at distance.

PjOF0tn.png

Water looks right, close up, going strange into the distance.

GTvIBob.png

26 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I get similar effects and we are are running similar systems, this is after renaming the file mentioned earlier. Funny effects on ocean at distance.

I am running a similar Linux system too and I have this same result. If I rebuild the ocean again and again I see similar strange effects until occasionally it comes back looking correct and beautiful. Unfortunately I see a significant memory leak occur at every ocean rebuild. I cannot see any error messages in the log (that is after renaming the aforementioned shader file).

A few bugs yet to iron out I presume. When it is good it is gorgeous! Well worth the wait.

Edited by Kaa253

36 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

I am running a similar Linux system too and I have this same result. If I rebuild the ocean again and again I see similar strange effects until occasionally it comes back looking correct and beautiful. Unfortunately I see a significant memory leak occur at every ocean rebuild. I cannot see any error messages in the log (that is after renaming the aforementioned shader file).

A few bugs yet to iron out I presume. When it is good it is gorgeous! Well worth the wait.

Some of the effects I noticed are affected by other mods like Planetshine and EVE, when they are all removed it is only the middle distance borked and some moiring at the edges.

Amazing work, nuff said. Suprised how much more beautiful Kerbin is starting too look with every new iteration of this mod.

Small bug report (assuming its just not me): The ocean effects bug out and vanish when the camera gets turned upside down (e.g. while flying a plane in IVA).

just wondering as i had no chance to test it yet and get teased all the time:

are the waves actual moving or are they just "hanging" there? Could someone make a small vid?

I'd appreciate that!

6 minutes ago, minepagan said:

Ummmmm.....is the gamedata folder supposed to look like this? All the old versions had a 'scatterer' folder.....

i bet you are not supposed to move the Gamedata folder into Gamedata/scatterer/ - just copy its contents (shader + config) into /scatterer/

Edit: has been stated before / please read!

Edited by Speadge

8 hours ago, gkorgood said:

also @blackrack I think you forgot a folder. right now it goes \Scatterer-v0.021\GameData\Config

you usually make it \Scatterer-v0.021\GameData\scatterer\Config

Indeed, I was too tired and just zipped everything up and went to bed.

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Does my error message mean you are trying to allocate 32bit memory on a 64bit ksp? I run the 64bit Linux version.

I have no idea, I've never seen that error before.

7 hours ago, Noname115 said:

Also, when I say "map view", I meant to say the Tracking station, while in-flight the scatterer effects do show up, but for neither the Tracking station or main menu.

Effects are disabled in tracking station and main menu on purpose, they are not needed there and would make loading times longer.

7 hours ago, Darren9 said:

I'm getting an issue where in cockpit/IVA the ocean vanishes if I roll past 90* or go upside-down, I removed EVE and SkyTonemapper so it's pretty much just part mods left. Is anyone else getting this or will I be making a new install? Looks incredible by the way :)

This is a current limitation of the method it's using. If you look straight down at it from above or roll around it disappears. I may or may not be able to fix it.

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I changed AMP to 00012 and wind speed to 00006. Other settings didn't seem to change much.

Omega is also a good setting to play with. try something like amp 3-5, wind speed 15 and omega 1.5

If you have the GPU for it set m_resolution to 1 and fouriergridsize to 256 for extra detail and sharpness.

6 hours ago, pargentum said:

In 0.021 there are no config files for RSS Earth and Mars.

I copied files from 0.0195 and there are issues.  Earth from space in Staging view looks too blue and too blurry (though it could be just my opinion)

In Map view issues are different and worse (or funnier): see shadowed blue ball over Earth center?

It's just your opinion, for the map view scale, I'll check it out.

6 hours ago, cobbman11 said:

Okay, one more. Edited, of course :wink:RU7zHPG.png

That just looks like you dropped a kerbal in a real photo.

5 hours ago, Chris P. Bacon said:

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble on Linux.  Same deal, 1fps with no mods (except scatterer).  My terrain appears to have vanished too :P

threw everything in a GameData/scatterer folder and made sure the config folder was lowercase

I'll investigate this as soon as I can.

5 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

This... this shot alone... this isn't just a mod it's a bloody work of art. Have breakfast on me man. :)

Thanks a lot!

5 hours ago, Faile said:

Ocean shaders look absolutely stunning.

Do you plan to add Caustic scattering for god rays and underwater light?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caustic_(optics)

Perhaps later on, I'm considering caustics and reflections.

4 hours ago, Jeorge said:

Ocean looks dark. You can only see the details upclose but it's still fading to dark

Try without any other mods? Also try running in different video modes (dx11-opengl etc)

2 hours ago, Paul_Sawyer said:

This mod is so awesome it makes me consider stop being a loser and start enhancing my life to buy a new computer - my current laptop barely handles all this beauty. Thank you for your work, blackrack :)
Meanwhile, I'm not sure if it's known issue, but I'm getting artifacts below the horizon on the water. I'm not using OpenGL, RSS, Kopernicus or any other mods, that were reported here to have problems, and it happens on a clean install as well.

EDIT:

Ok, I'm sorry, I lied when I wrote, that it happens on clean install - it wasn't actually clear, it was with EVE. Now that I ran it without EVE it looks like everything is all right.

That's cause by the EVE cloud shadows I'm using a dirty trick to get them to show on the water but it's also causing these artifacts. I could make them togglable.

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Try without other mods

8 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Ok odd..... I don't know if this is because I'm super sampling my screenshots but the shader isn't showing up in screenshots taken within the game but thats why we have other ways. I don't even know how you did this in the slightest but I'm so grateful you did.

Reveal hidden contents

xkDMLvl.jpg

Not right now. I'm going to guess the configs have changed to accommodate the ocean stuff now so they probably won't work. Stick with the default stuff.

Edit: Nevermind, he implemented the configs separately. They should work fine 

Scratch that, I think I need to look into this more :P

Indeed, water disappears or moves if you supersample screenshots. Disable it or just use steam/fraps.

Edited by blackrack

Anyone tried this? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/110001-105-water-sounds-v11-2015-11-17/

14 minutes ago, DuoDex said:

Lovely update, though it doesn't seem to be working on Linux.

Testing when I get home with a fresh install/redownload/all the things mod developers like people to test using, just giving you a heads up right now :)

I uploaded a new version with the fixed filenames. If it's what's causing linux issues it should fix it, else it'll take a little longer.

I think you may have missed my post in all the noise... I have a way to make craft shadows and lights appear, but not sure about cloud shadows.

10 hours ago, blackrack said:

Well, this bit of code is called to create several meshes https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/ocean/scatterer/Ocean/OceanNode.cs#L239-L287

But I haven't really looked much into or what happens later inside the shader. I cared mostly about getting it running :P

Gotcha... Just quickly skimmed it... looks like they do some funky things in there that I honestly have no clue why they do it that way... In this case, they create a plane in front of the camera (much as I would expect... we do a cube for our purposes) but what is odd is the mesh... instead of a single quad with 4 vertices spanning the camera view, they make MANY quads with 1 vertex PER PIXEL. I can't think of a good reason that they would do this, unless they were doing this in Proland for another engine and the guy porting it to Unity didn't bother with any optimization.

At any rate, this explains why lights and shadows (and projectors) would not work... they simply can't. The geometry doesn't place them in the right location and there is no possible geometry to go off of. However I have a possible work-around though. Much like you've seen with the projectors with the ocean geometry, what we can do is create a large quad that moves around the craft that is transparent, and receives shadows and lights. We keep it at ocean level, and just rotate it to always be underneath the craft. It'd have to be somewhat large, but the performance should be pretty negligible (four vertexes only). We'd want to disable projectors on it though. 

As for projectors (and by extension cloud shadows), I'm not sure I have a good solution. I'm thinking I could create a companion shader that does something similar as your ocean shader (plane/cube in front of camera) but then in EVE, we need a method to detect that there is no ocean (or it is disabled) so EVE could do this. 

6 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I think you may have missed my post in all the noise... I have a way to make craft shadows and lights appear, but not sure about cloud shadows.

Gotcha... Just quickly skimmed it... looks like they do some funky things in there that I honestly have no clue why they do it that way... In this case, they create a plane in front of the camera (much as I would expect... we do a cube for our purposes) but what is odd is the mesh... instead of a single quad with 4 vertices spanning the camera view, they make MANY quads with 1 vertex PER PIXEL. I can't think of a good reason that they would do this, unless they were doing this in Proland for another engine and the guy porting it to Unity didn't bother with any optimization.

At any rate, this explains why lights and shadows (and projectors) would not work... they simply can't. The geometry doesn't place them in the right location and there is no possible geometry to go off of. However I have a possible work-around though. Much like you've seen with the projectors with the ocean geometry, what we can do is create a large quad that moves around the craft that is transparent, and receives shadows and lights. We keep it at ocean level, and just rotate it to always be underneath the craft. It'd have to be somewhat large, but the performance should be pretty negligible (four vertexes only). We'd want to disable projectors on it though. 

As for projectors (and by extension cloud shadows), I'm not sure I have a good solution. I'm thinking I could create a companion shader that does something similar as your ocean shader (plane/cube in front of camera) but then in EVE, we need a method to detect that there is no ocean (or it is disabled) so EVE could do this. 

The way I understand it, they do 1 vertex per pixel to maximize the detail onscreen because they displace them later on.

I see, but then we'd also need to have it work for aerial views, so one flat qud won't do. What do we do then?