[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Definitely not a known thing, which platform are your running on? Directx or opengl?

D3D9, but it is a modded install. So something might be conflicting. Just (re)moved all the gfx enhancement mods, to see if it fixes it. I'll check back in if I find what it might have been causing it.

ok so removed all other mods except scatterer, still no ground haze, looking in more detail however I noticed the post processing ground haze is only being applied to game objects (e.g. KSC and runway) but not to the actual terrain.

Besides starting up the game and hitting toggle postprocessing once on the launch pad what else would I need to adjust or should it look as your screens do with the -out the box- default settings?

Cheers again

P

Check the folder replacement shaders, it should have 14 files in it. In case some of them aren't loading there should be errors in the log.

Definitely. 3.5 is what KSP and all us other modders around here are using :)

In this case I'll have to change it, go through my code and fix everything. Problem is, I'm leaving home in a few minuets and won't be back before monday.

Check the folder replacement shaders, it should have 14 files in it. In case some of them aren't loading there should be errors in the log.

All 14 are there, I'm getting allot of this though?

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ShaderReplacer' from assembly 'scatterer'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at scatterer.Manager.SetUniforms (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and...

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at scatterer.scatterPostprocess.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

All 14 are there, I'm getting allot of this though?

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'ShaderReplacer' from assembly 'scatterer'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at scatterer.Manager.SetUniforms (UnityEngine.Material mat) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Manager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at scatterer.Core.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and...

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at scatterer.scatterPostprocess.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Not sure about the second error, but the first one is normal, I get it on my build too, it's just trying to access an array before the elements are fileld in, once the scene loads that error goes away, I haven't added a null check for it.

Not sure about the second error, but the first one is normal, I get it on my build too, it's just trying to access an array before the elements are fileld in, once the scene loads that error goes away, I haven't added a null check for it.

So I shouldn't have to do anything with the GUI and it should be working out the box?

Here's some screens if it helps in diagnosis

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So I shouldn't have to do anything with the GUI and it should be working out the box?

Here's some screens if it helps in diagnosis

http://imgur.com/a/vxkpu

Yes, it should be working out of the box, and for the postprocessing you just press toggle once, right now you're not getting any haze, what you see in the first image is the skybox rendered to the second camera so it renders in front of all the far away stuff. The part of the skybox that is underneath the horizon looks like water/sea. Haze isn't working at all for you and I'm not sure why.

I got that second error as well in my log. All GFX cloud and atmosphere mods have been removed.

Postprocessing enables once, than after changing on of the parameters a seems to remove the haze effect. Although all camera related issues still remain when I reach orbit

Yes, it should be working out of the box, and for the postprocessing you just press toggle once, right now you're not getting any haze, what you see in the first image is the skybox rendered to the second camera so it renders in front of all the far away stuff. The part of the skybox that is underneath the horizon looks like water/sea. Haze isn't working at all for you and I'm not sure why.

Damn, ok well thanks for the info anyways. If anyone else figures this out please post it here as I'd absolutely love to get this working!

ok so I managed to get it working on a new install of ksp 64bit.

I tried it out on Real solar system and the effects were offset from the earth/kerbin being way below the surface although the ground haze appeared to be working. Are there any config settings I could tweak to get it ported to RSS?

I think one of the recent dev notes mentioned the addition of stock clouds. I do not remember if there was any mention of them volumetric, having drop shadows visible from space or if there will be more then one layer of clouds.

I think one of the recent dev notes mentioned the addition of stock clouds. I do not remember if there was any mention of them volumetric, having drop shadows visible from space or if there will be more then one layer of clouds.

That was for the animation...:P

ok so I managed to get it working on a new install of ksp 64bit.

I tried it out on Real solar system and the effects were offset from the earth/kerbin being way below the surface although the ground haze appeared to be working. Are there any config settings I could tweak to get it ported to RSS?

I'm adding a way for it to automatically detect and rescale accordingly, this will be accompanied by a manual scaling setting you can use to finetune things or if something goes wrong. I have been away all week-end but I'll be releasing a new version shortly with RSS compatibility, a config utility so yu guys can try different things and start making configs for differentplanets/mods and the fixed sun. You guys could play with these until I fix it to work with scaledspace and add it to multiple planets.

Is this supposed to be working on OSX?

The new version is supposed to run, but I haven't had any feedback so I assume it's working.

Great job with this mod! It's important to remember that it is under heavy development and that (most likely) current issues will be fixed. I made a small video showcasing this mod :).

Nice video, anyway, you seem to be puzzled about what post processing is. Post processing just means the effect is added to the frame after the frame is done rendering, like an image effect you'd add in photoshop. The haze is done this way. This has two main implications:

1-The effect applies to everything and it's much easier to make it work with everything than setting up a separate shader for every element.

2-The effect is applied over a rendered image so this may not always play nice, clouds for example would turn completely blue the moment they pass in front of a mountain.

Could you please post a short video or manual explainingthe UI?

It's mostly for debugging. The "toggle postprocessing" button is the only one you need.

Edited by blackrack

I'm adding a way for it to automatically detect and rescale accordingly, this will be accompanied by a manual scaling setting you can use to finetune things or if something goes wrong. I have been away all week-end but I'll be releasing a new version shortly with RSS compatibility, a config utility so yu guys can try different things and start making configs for differentplanets/mods and the fixed sun. You guys could play with these until I fix it to work with scaledspace and add it to multiple planets.

Sounds great, can't wait! :)