[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

14 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Yo! I've got a quick question for you- How much of an impact does caustics have on game performance? Is there a difference when you are flying near water vs if you are underwater?

On 2/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, blackrack said:

As far as I can tell, absolutely none on a gtx 1060. It uses the depth buffer to inject the caustics into the shadowmask (essentially a texture where the shadows are as they should look on your screen, all shaders then read the corresponding pixel on the shadowmask to check if they are in shadow or not, I just add the caustics there). The caustics are basically two layers of the same texture mixed with some different scales and speeds.

So no rendering meshes, no re-rendering objects, basically a few texture fetches so it's fast.

8 hours ago, killerbaby1337 said:

Why are my clouds disappearing? I have EVE: Environmental Visual Enhancements

Scatterer doesn't provide clouds so why do you think the problem is with this mod and not EVE?

When reporting a problem, please try to follow the guidelines in the post linked in my sig block.  You haven't provided much information that would allow others to help, such as a log file, and KSP, EVE and Scatterer versions, a good problem description, i.e. when do your clouds disappear?

That said, missing clouds have been discussed several times in the Scatterer and EVE topics, and it's likely a bad mod install or compatibility issue.  Might I suggest that, in addition to asking (which you're certainly welcome to do), you search through these threads for possible answers?  Just trying to encourage some self-help; no disrespect implied.

18 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Im wondering, how big of a performance hit is this mod? 

Impossible to answer meaningfully without knowing your system specs, but also no reason to post them. It won’t mess with your save game if you have to uninstall it cause the performance hit is too much

1 hour ago, It'snorocketscience said:

Is anyone else having issues using Scatterer in 1.10? I'm thinking of making a bug report, but maybe the mod just isn't compatible with 1.10 yet and I should wait...

how big are the issues? Scatterer probs needs to get updated for 1.10 but atleast i think the first step into updating is knowning whats broken. in saying that i am an amature modder and have never used scatterer before

2 hours ago, It'snorocketscience said:

Is anyone else having issues using Scatterer in 1.10? I'm thinking of making a bug report, but maybe the mod just isn't compatible with 1.10 yet and I should wait...

Ocean shaders are working, atmospheric scattering... not so much. I suggest patience. 

On 6/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, Not a Spy said:

Is it possible to get the log file from a shorter play session? A 150 MB log file is too much.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:00 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

Im wondering, how big of a performance hit is this mod? 

Depends on your system, and most importantly your GPU. Specs would help.

5 hours ago, It'snorocketscience said:

I haven't looked at 1.10 yet. I saw KSP's changelog and I don't expect to run into any major issues. I'm curious to see what isn't working but no need for a full-fledged bug report.

25 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Intel Core i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30
8.0 GB DDR4 2133 MHz
AMD Radeon R5 M430 2GB Dedicated, 4GB Shared

I have to say this is not a fast GPU. You'll probably have to disable ocean shaders but should be fine with the other effects.

The 1.10 .dll works well, I used it in an install with only scatterer and the breaking ground expansion and took an Aeris 3A out to fly to all the major places on kerbin, and cheated to surface of Eve and Laythe. Is there a way to reduce the 'fogginess' of Jool's atmosphere scatter? Which setting affects that, the new cloud swirling on Jool in 1.10 is hard to see. I'll mess with the setting myself to see what I like best.

35 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

The 1.10 .dll works well, I used it in an install with only scatterer and the breaking ground expansion and took an Aeris 3A out to fly to all the major places on kerbin, and cheated to surface of Eve and Laythe. Is there a way to reduce the 'fogginess' of Jool's atmosphere scatter? Which setting affects that, the new cloud swirling on Jool in 1.10 is hard to see. I'll mess with the setting myself to see what I like best.

It's complicated, there is no single setting, but try to reduce scattering exposure or extinction. Might need a new config, I haven't looked at Jool yet.

19 hours ago, blackrack said:

Is it possible to get the log file from a shorter play session? A 150 MB log file is too much.

Depends on your system, and most importantly your GPU. Specs would help.

I haven't looked at 1.10 yet. I saw KSP's changelog and I don't expect to run into any major issues. I'm curious to see what isn't working but no need for a full-fledged bug report.

k, ill get a shorter log now

Hi ... not sure how interested you'll be in this, but I'm currently testing Kopernicus Continued, on 1.10 with JNSQ 0.90.0. With that bare bones config, the visuals are correct. Adding scatterer causes the water on Kerbin to disappear. I've tested this by copying my scatterer folder from a working 1.8.1 install, and replacing the DLL with the one you linked a few messages back, built 7/3. The water can be fixed by disabling the Ocean Shaders option and restarting.

I've put log files for two runs on my google drive if you're interested. One run is starting with ocean shaders on, the other with them option off. The larger log contains more shiz because I launched a capsule just to make sure it was the same in the flight scene as the space center scene.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A_Gn6nW1teghxLQTpvVmr1j9wVBQz-ZK?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hi ... not sure how interested you'll be in this, but I'm currently testing Kopernicus Continued, on 1.10 with JNSQ 0.90.0. With that bare bones config, the visuals are correct. Adding scatterer causes the water on Kerbin to disappear. I've tested this by copying my scatterer folder from a working 1.8.1 install, and replacing the DLL with the one you linked a few messages back, built 7/3. The water can be fixed by disabling the Ocean Shaders option and restarting.

Is this an unofficial Kopernicus recompile for 1.10 or an actual update? Has Thomas moved on from Kopernicus?