[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

8 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey there! Sorry for the random post out of the blue, but I've been trying to get an update for Spectra pushed to address the rainbow clouds in the main menu, and I was curious if I could share my findings with you.

It seems the rainbow clouds are tied to these five variables:

Messing with these variables does some... interesting things to the main menu.

Preserve cloud colors* = True (Main Menu)
Preserve cloud colors* = False (Main Menu)
As you can see toggling Preserve cloud colors* to False from True, significantly deadens the rainbow effect on the main menus, as well as strengthening their colors a fair amount (notice how the small clouds over the ocean are much brighter with it set to false).

This would seem like a solution to remove the rainbow colors by simply leaving this value set to False, however doing this completely removes the sunsets from the planet:

Preserve cloud colors* = True (Map View)
Preserve cloud colors* = False (Map View)

This gets even more unusual when you start messing with the actual number sliders. You can actually get the sunset colors to return if you mess with the values with Preserve cloud colors* set to False, though it begins to mess up the main menu again.

Improved EVE integration settings (Map View)
Improved EVE integration settings (Main Menu)

The main issue I've been having is that the main menu clouds seem to follow different color rules than in flight. Do you know why this is?

So simply put, main menu is on a different scale than both localSpace and scaledSpace. If I remember correctly it uses the same coordinates as localSpace but a completely diffetent scale. Somewhere the wrong scale information is being set for the cloud shader resulting in wrong calculated position and the funky behaviour that you see. I'll try to look into it for next update.

2 hours ago, blackrack said:

So simply put, main menu is on a different scale than both localSpace and scaledSpace. If I remember correctly it uses the same coordinates as localSpace but a completely diffetent scale. Somewhere the wrong scale information is being set for the cloud shader resulting in wrong calculated position and the funky behaviour that you see. I'll try to look into it for next update.

Huh, I was guessing that it had something to do with the colors being scaled differently but I was only comfortable post the symptoms. It's good to know you have an idea of what's going on! It would be incredible if you could look into this in the future, though I'd wager it's less important than other features/improvements. I'm happy to help any way I can too if you need anything, even just config values to test. I only hope it isn't complex to fix.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hello.

I've got a dumb question :

What i've missed to have a Kerbin looking like that :

c8y4.jpg

when others seems to have Kerbin like that :

0qly.jpg

I've tested with Scatterer and Scatterer+ EVE and Scatterer + EVE redux and i have the same result.

And scatterer have a big big impact on FPS (60 FPS without, 20 FPS with) on a décent config.

Thank a lot :)

Edited by nefrem

4 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

To have clouds like the second picture you need EVE-Redux and a visual pack like

Spectra:

or

Sci-Fi VE:

because EVE by itself doesn't have cloud textures and configs.

It works with SPECTRA thank a lot !

But i've got very very low FPS... 15/25 FPS in a launch vs 120 FPS in the VAB

6 hours ago, nefrem said:

But i've got very very low FPS... 15/25 FPS in a launch vs 120 FPS in the VAB

You can either

1. Switch to Sci-fi VE which runs faster but is less realistic 
  2. Reduce the thickness of Spectra clouds if you know how
  3. Lower Scatterer ocean quality to low (64 in config and ingame scatterer settings)
  4. Disable scatterer oceans and/or godrays
  5. cap your framerate at 60 FPS since ordinary monitors can't show anything faster than that (and reduce the amount of frames to be rendered, and thus workload, on your computer)

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

1 hour ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

You can either

1. Switch to Sci-fi VE which runs faster but is less realistic 
  2. Reduce the thickness of Spectra clouds if you know how
  3. Lower Scatterer ocean quality to low (64 in config and ingame scatterer settings)
  4. Disable scatterer oceans and/or godrays
  5. cap your framerate at 60 FPS since ordinary monitors can't show anything faster than that (and reduce the amount of frames to be rendered, and thus workload, on your computer)

I might try these Scatterer settings. I use just only EVE Redux now. It has clouds on Kerbin, not a lot. I have a mid-range machine running KSP.

Not sure if any of those have been reported up to now, but gonna drop these just in case:

1: With AA off the refraction goes stupid to the point of hilarity, displaying what seems to be the contents of the kerbal camera in the bottom right.

Spoiler

sYc4VN8.png

ZRXMVnS.png

FzGnheD.png

2: Not sure if it's on Scatterer or ER side of things: volumetric clouds visible from couple hundred meters underwater. Had it happen in older versions but I don't remember if I reported it.

Spoiler

9H2P2SE.png

Using DX11, 1.11.1, scatterer+Eve redux with default Eve configs + waterfall (though nothing in the scene uses it), DOE, Planetshine and restock. Disabling the latter 2 didn't fix it, haven't tried completely uninstalling them yet.

19 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

The latest Scatterer update (0.07xx, that is) seems to have broken all the sunset/rise effects in the JNSQ scatterer config. There's no sunset-coloured clouds, no sunlight extinction, even though I have the option for preserve cloud colours off, the option for integrating effects with EVE clouds on, and the option for sunlight extinction on. Here's what I mean:

Dusk, scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

ngIrjy4.png

Dusk, scatterer 0.0632:

Reveal hidden contents

WFqlODQ.png

Dawn, scatterer 0.0723:

Reveal hidden contents

7BAdlvc.png

Dawn, scatterer 0.0632:

Reveal hidden contents

KCzNCKN.png

Game version 1.11.1, mods are JNSQ 0.90.0, EVE-Redux 1.11.2.1, scatterer (versions above), Kerbal Konstructs, Omega's Stockalike Structures, and Kopernicus 1.11.1-30 (stable). Fresh sandbox save.

I dunno if I should even be posting this here, let me know if I'm better served by going to the Scatterer thread. I thought to post it here first because to my untrained eye this seems like a configuration that requires updating.

If this is possible to answer with the given information, am I correct in assuming these problems with JNSQ come from an outdated Scatterer configuration? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it besides pestering the authors?

Hey, I have just a few complaints about scatterer, during eclipses to be exact. I have no idea if there's a patch being worked on for this, but I thought Id adress it anyway.

1.  The mountains in the distance are kinda bright during the eclipse...

img%5D

2. What is going on here?

img%5D

I have no idea if the latter one is my problem or an issue with scatterer itself, but this thing spazzes around and slowly heads eastward. This thing seems to happen in places directly under the eclipse

FYI, I use EVE redux with scatterer. Amazing mod, also I think the info could be useful.

Edited by kerbalxploder

On 2/9/2021 at 5:07 AM, nefrem said:

Hello.

I've got a dumb question :

What i've missed to have a Kerbin looking like that :

c8y4.jpg

I've got this exact same thing going on. Not sure if the troubleshooting steps were directed to the second problem only, but this isn't intentional, right?

Hi, @blackrack I have a bug to report - it affects only rescaled systems. To reproduce:

1) Fresh 1.11.1 install

2) Install Sigma dimensions with dependencies and 6.4 rescale

3) Install latest Scatterer

4) Launch a vechicle up to 110 km altidude. 

When a vechicle crosses 30 km altitude (exact number depends od rescale factor) some parts get a blue hue:

IIWrSnv.jpg

On higher altitudes it  is more apparent:

lfi5qRL.jpg

Effect disappers afcter crossing 110 km altitude (with 6.4 rescale).

Some parts (like fairings) are not affected. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

21 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

This isn't even Scatterer water yet when I saw it on reddit my first reaction was still "ZOMG  Scatterer vehicle water reflections!!!" :P

Those aren't even reflections lol

4 hours ago, derpninja23 said:

Screenshot-2021-02-18-161912.png

Which planet is this? Is this a stock planet, or something from Other Worlds Reboot?

Also it seems that the scatterer configs are at least 2 major versions out of date. Maybe 3, I don't know if you are using the provided 0.052+ update patch.

You know what, I'm not experienced enough to handle this kind of stuff

Edited by OrdinaryKerman